Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NeutronJack

Playing through Steam and directly...?

5 comments in this topic

[-THG-]
Members
3 posts
2,049 battles

I have two computers, one runs Windows and has World of Warships installed.  I use this mainly.  But I also have a Linux machine with Steam installed.  My question is - can I play WoWs from both machines using the same account?  (Not at the same time, of course).

• Funny 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Nope. Steam accounts are separate from your main account. Don't know why, but that's the way it works.

[WOLF8]
Members
8,202 posts
6,785 battles

When you log into the Steam version of the game, you're actually logging into the same WoWs servers, just taking a tiny detour through Steam. It's not like you're playing separately from the players using the original WGC version.

However, you can't take your pre-existing WG account, and start using on the Steam version. I don't know why this is the case, but it just is.

When you first log into the Steam version of the game, it will create a pseudo-WG account that is automatically tied to your Steam account. The game will then periodically ask you to "register your account at the official WoWs website." If you do, then it'll convert that pseudo-WG account into a proper WG account, which will then allow you to post on this forum, switch over to WGC version if you want to, and etc.

Early on, there used to be a way to fiddle around with the files of the Steam version to allow you to use a pre-existing WG account. You just couldn't use the Steam wallet, or get any of the Steam achievements (yes, this game actually has some on Steam). However, IIRC, at some point, WG actually patched that out, so if you want to start playing this game through Steam, then you have no choice but to start fresh.

If you already have a well-established account with the game, then I suggest you to stick with the original WGC version. Sorry to say, but that's just the way it is.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[LRM]
Members
6 posts
5,862 battles

You can link your steam account to actual wg email, and then they are linked. 
So you can log into the client version with your steam account. But it does not work the other way around, as you are tying a WG email account to that particular steam account.

And the test server is different. Its a server meant to publicy test ships, game mechanics, etc. You get rewards for playing on the PTS to your main Server account, but if you want it applied to the steam account, make sure youve linked a wg account with the steam acct.

Edited by ZachPees2Much

Sign in to follow this