You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

How TF do i play flint

12 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

I am training a new captain for flint, so I don't have more than 6 skill points ATM. How do I play it? Too fragile to do anything but sit and hold trigger, not maneuverable, not stealthy, AA is over-reliant on flak, etc. I know it has potential, I just can't get that potential out. Any pointers?

• Haha 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Sit in smoke and shoot. Positioning is key, have to pick a place where you have targets, someone to spot for you, and you aren't going to get overrun. Screw it up and you die. Definitely a steep learning curve with both Atlanta class.

CE is really going to help you, getting the detection below the gun range is important. You also really need IFHE in order to damage really anything (you can thank WG and the IFHE change for that). So yeah, Flint has a high captain skill requirement. Without 14 points Flint is a really lacking.

Basically Flint requires a high level captain and has a pretty high skill floor. If you're not relatively experienced and used to light cruisers it's going to be a rough ride. You don't get second chances with Flint

• Cool 2

[CNO]
Members
6,738 posts
20,178 battles

The best use of Flint is to rub it against red BBs until it explodes.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,966 posts
6,663 battles
25 minutes ago, Igiby100 said:

How do I play it? 

Queue Narai until you have at least a 10 pt commander before doing PvP...

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,452 posts

Flint is for Narai.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,659 posts
24,597 battles

Like others have said, get your Flint sea-legs in Operation Narai and build up the captain while you learn her. Narai ended two weeks ago (followed by Raptor Rescue and Aegis) so we still have two more weeks (with Killer Whale and Defense of N.S. Newport) before she returns in the rotation.

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles
2 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

I am training a new captain for flint, so I don't have more than 6 skill points ATM. How do I play it? Too fragile to do anything but sit and hold trigger, not maneuverable, not stealthy, AA is over-reliant on flak, etc. I know it has potential, I just can't get that potential out. Any pointers?

in CO-OP

[PVE]
Members
8,796 posts
25,076 battles
3 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

I am training a new captain for flint

There's your problem..

You don't need to (& you shouldn't) train a commander just for Flint... it's a premium...you can put any US commander in it.

Take your highest point commander from whatever line you're grinding (except the CA line...they don't need IFHE & Flint does) & use it in Flint...

Jives well with CL lines skills or you can set whatever cruiser skills you want on the DD/CV/or BB line commander.

That's the beauty of premiums... don't need to train a commander just for them...& the best feature of the skills rework is to use any commander on any type of ship with a different set of skills for each ship type.

Halsey or 1 of the Doh (oops...I meant Doe) brothers is best.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[-BCO-]
Members
2,923 posts
5,022 battles
3 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Simple. Wait until Narai week and play the crap out of it. Ah and......stay away from PvP.

[CSW]
Members
42 posts

Flint is  a captain trainer, not something you train a captain for. This is much easier now that you can load up captains with skills for each ship type instead of getting only one. Taht said, concealment expert is an absolutely critical skill. A 6 point captain is going to suffer. Badly.

Play is somewhere between gunboat destroyer and light cruiser. Flint has negligible armor and a cotidal, and so is unforgiving of errors even when the enemy isn't out for your soul. The torpedoes are nice, but sort of like Russian torps. If you have to use them you are probably hosed, if you are maneuvering to use them deliberately you almost certainly shouldn't. At Tier 7, you'll be running into ships with radar (urgh).

Overall all, Flint has to be played slow and cautiously. hang back at the opening. Don't feel obligated to get into anything early. Don't allow yourself to be baited into firing at destroyers who are hoping you'll expose yourself to their team. By preference you want tough skinned BBs between you and the enemy drawing fire before they even know you're there.

Your best options are to island-hump, using its high arc to shower enemy ships with HE while using rocks to interdict fire, or to get into a position where you can lay a smoke (or climb into someone else's) and fire out of that (watching out for torpedoes) and maneuvering so that someone can't aim at the location of fire and blap you.

Also,  consider the special upgrades. Smoke lasts longer, but takes place of the aiming systems upgrade and can be bit of a let-down in high-tier games with lots of radar. The choice of hydro or AA boost is a bit more interesting. The latter is definitely a boon against Tier 8 CV players, but the hydro is useful against DDs throwing torps into your smoke cloud. If you do take hydro, using it to hunt smoked-up DD is probably not a good idea.

Edited by Kael_17

[X-PN]
Members
1,995 posts
13,246 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Queue Narai until you have at least a 10 pt commander before doing PvP...

This....but really sorry to say that you really 14 points for it to shine but more is better... here's the mandatory PvP build:

1 point - pick anything, incoming fire, torp speed, or last stand all ok

2 point - Priority target or Pyro/DE

3 point - Heavy HE

4 point - IFHE

2nd 4 point - concealment

After 14 I'd get AR and then PT/Pyro (whichever you didn't get earlier)

That's 19 there.

Flint has some differences but tactics that keep you alive and doing damage in Atlanta will serve you well in Flint too.  They can also share a captain fairly well.

There should be quite a few how to Atlanta videos on youtube from over the years.

BTW - with it's recent partially unnerfing of it's range, Flint is kinda usable in PvP again, but it will play different from your average CL.  The basic idea though is to get in front of pushes and use your smoke then.  You need to know when to exit stage right though... know what your exit plan is before your smoke counter turns orange.

Also, Flint is good for Narai, but Atlanta is better....and Narai can be played anytime if you bring your own div.

• Thanks 1

[X-PN]
Members
1,995 posts
13,246 battles
1 hour ago, Kael_17 said:

Overall all, Flint has to be played slow and cautiously. hang back at the opening. Don't feel obligated to get into anything early. Don't allow yourself to be baited into firing at destroyers who are hoping you'll expose yourself to their team. By preference you want tough skinned BBs between you and the enemy drawing fire before they even know you're there.

Gotta disagree with you there.  Flint is a great cap ambusher when there is an island to hide your approach.  Even if you get spotted, you can often kill your prey in 2 to 3 salvo and already have your smoke running so that you go dark right away.  Of course there are conditions that must be met like knowing where radars are if any.  If you wait on BBs to be in front of you, you may wait half the game or more before anything is your 12.4 range.  One thing you do have to mind, if you are smoking up to farm... know who is going to be spotting for you.... if you can't tell, there's a good chance you'll lose your spot as soon as you smoke.

• Thanks 1