You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mercury_Trap

Getting Gud. Want to get gudder.

31 comments in this topic

[NGA-A]
Members
9 posts
6,636 battles

Hello captains. I have been playing since last October and pretty much reading the forums since then. I’m still surprised that I’m playing this game daily and I think I know why. It’s fun..sometimes and absolutely frustrating at other times. It’s super easy to play but super hard to get really good at for a lot of us. I’m a 50% on the rise slowly with about 3000 games. Mostly random. So why do I keep playing, certainty not the blowouts, one simple reason. The times that the match is close and my play helped carry the match. IMO it’s about 1/3 of the matches that I play that my play good or potato that will carry the match or lose. That feeling is pretty awesome, when you play well. MM, RNG, sometimes are stacked against you, but when it’s not and you change the outcome of the game is pretty kickass. So thanks for the tips and lessons that get discussed, it helps noobs and intermediate players. 

Some things that I’ve just started to grasp, but have not mastered.

1. Don’t sit in smoke to long, but how long is too long. Maximize smoke time without getting torped. Use of the minimap and knowing where the enemy toro ships are.

2. Switching shell types ahead of an enemy turn. Switching from HE to AP, and have it loaded so when enemy is broad side being ready to fire. 

3. Positioning is so critically important, at first I thought it was all about aiming. Having escape route, etc.. really is improving my game play.

4. Kiting and dodging, when your flank is outnumbered. 

I’ve learned a lot from YouTube training videos from many you tubers weather they are liked or not. So please keep the tips coming and add to my list of tips. Especially immediate type tips. Thanks 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles
9 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Your

Dude don't be jerk, give him some tips what you did is crap and low. Says allot bout you.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXY]
Members
2,572 posts
7,766 battles
28 minutes ago, Mercury_Trap said:

1. Don’t sit in smoke to long, but how long is too long. Maximize smoke time without getting torped. Use of the minimap and knowing where the enemy toro ships are.

One thing as a dd with smoke, you can move out behind the field and slowly move around behind it. It lets you fire your guns without being spotted so long as enemies cant see you.

If you are fighting another dd and he/she smokes up to escape and you have hydro, use it and get closer, watch them panic.

• Cool 2

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles
27 minutes ago, Mercury_Trap said:

Hello captains. I have been playing since last October and pretty much reading the forums since then. I’m still surprised that I’m playing this game daily and I think I know why. It’s fun..sometimes and absolutely frustrating at other times. It’s super easy to play but super hard to get really good at for a lot of us. I’m a 50% on the rise slowly with about 3000 games. Mostly random. So why do I keep playing, certainty not the blowouts, one simple reason. The times that the match is close and my play helped carry the match. IMO it’s about 1/3 of the matches that I play that my play good or potato that will carry the match or lose. That feeling is pretty awesome, when you play well. MM, RNG, sometimes are stacked against you, but when it’s not and you change the outcome of the game is pretty kickass. So thanks for the tips and lessons that get discussed, it helps noobs and intermediate players. 

2. Switching shell types ahead of an enemy turn. Switching from HE to AP, and have it loaded so when enemy is broad side being ready to fire. 

3. Positioning is so critically important, at first I thought it was all about aiming. Having escape route, etc.. really is improving my game play.

I’ve learned a lot from YouTube training videos from many you tubers weather they are liked or not. So please keep the tips coming and add to my list of tips. Especially immediate type tips. Thanks 

I would add this to your list learn the other ships specs, their detection, do they have hydro, radar ect… learn the torp ranges of other ships as well as their radar range and duration.

Turn your guns to get them in position to fire, before you engage.  You can use free look to see one direction while keeping your guns another.

Position is also about getting angle to fire in the enemy as well as working with you team mates.

On smoke you can use it but as the other player said it does let player know your in the area, this is where you tie in you mini map info and the information about other ships. When using it some times you can sit in it for a bit but normally if you are out front you can expect someone to torp the smoke or Radar it.  Smoke is also not just for you screen for you supporting ships when they need.

When shooting , may times just use the guns that don't expose your side.  In other work don't turn to get that third turret in if is exposes you to getting deleted. Mini map and ship info ties into to all this, if fighting BBs wait for their shot stay hange then wiggle if you really need to get those back turrets into the fight.

Learn when not to shoot.

What class do you prefer some tip are more class specific

• Cool 1

[BINGO]
[BINGO]
Members
111 posts
6,994 battles
9 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Your

I don't know if this guy is trolling or just bad cause he hid his stats but information and context are the answers to all your questions.

First piece of advice. Download Aslains mod pack, or the official Wows one. It gives you so much useful info to help make good decisions.

Second. Make sure to have your user interface set up optimally. There are guide videos, but generally you want a bigger mini-map with as much info showing as possible and team lists showing on your screen so you know what ships are still alive. Now to your questions.

1. If you have hydro up as long as you want provided someone is spotting for you and there are no red hydros or radar nearby.

2. Something that comes with experience. You have to know your ship and if you are capable of making the shot to make switching ammo worth it.

3. Depends. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your team is to hold a flank in a Petro or Stali and soak up over 1mil in dmg so they can push the other side.

4. Some ships are made to kite in almost all circumstances. It's the meta right now to kite and HE/SAP spam.

Glad to see you're putting effort in improving. If you haven't already found his channel, PotatoQuality is a unicum (player with a plus 60% w/r) that makes very good vids. Flamu is good too, despite what people here may say. He does Stat shame a lot and criticize the hell out of WG, but I've hardly ever seen him been wrong. Few things make me want to quit this game more than seeing someone make an inexplicably idiotic play that loses a game, then looking up their stats and seeing they have tens of thousands of battles with a sub 45% winrate.

• Cool 1

[NGA-A]
Members
9 posts
6,636 battles

I’m playing everything but CV. I just got Pommern. My first Coal ship, I’m really starting to get it. Is concealment mod a waste on Pom?or even BBs in general? I noticed sometimes that BBs can go dark at some pretty low ranges. But I think with Pom and long range secondaries, I’m usually spotted no matter what.  Unless I need to heal for a bit or reposition in the islands.

Next is mostly torp DDs. Staying alive is key while spamming torps, I got that understood. Getting threw an enemy gunboat DD and radar to get to the juicy targets in the back is a real challenge. 

[BINGO]
[BINGO]
Members
111 posts
6,994 battles
2 minutes ago, Mercury_Trap said:

I’m playing everything but CV. I just got Pommern. My first Coal ship, I’m really starting to get it. Is concealment mod a waste on Pom?or even BBs in general? I noticed sometimes that BBs can go dark at some pretty low ranges. But I think with Pom and long range secondaries, I’m usually spotted no matter what.  Unless I need to heal for a bit or reposition in the islands.

Next is mostly torp DDs. Staying alive is key while spamming torps, I got that understood. Getting threw an enemy gunboat DD and radar to get to the juicy targets in the back is a real challenge. 

I normally put concealment mod on anything that can mount it.

If you like torp DDs, grind to the Halland. It's the best one currently.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
1 hour ago, Mercury_Trap said:

1.  Smoke is a "torpedo magnet".  It is concealment, but not a shield or an island.  
     CV's, DD's, and Cruisers may launch torpedoes at smoke-screens, on the *chance* of hitting a ship hiding in them.
     If you popped-smoke, it was for a reason.  To break detection, for example.
     But as one goes up in the Tiers, there are an increasing number of ships which can defeat smoke with Radar and Hydro-Acoustic Search.  And some players are lucky/good at shooting into smoke and hitting a target.
     Don't linger in smoke.  Have a "get away" plan and use it.

2.  Switching projectile types.  I generally load HE until I anticipate that AP will be useful or is about to be useful.  This a "judgement call" based upon reading the situation and using "experience" to help guide my decisions.
     If I have AP loaded and the target would likely bounce the AP easily, then I'll try to hit some part of the ship where the AP might do some good, by knocking out a turret or hitting a squishy superstructure, and hopefully do some over-pen         damage instead of merely getting ricochets.

3.  Yep.

4.  Dodging 5 out of 6 incoming salvoes is more fun than dodging 4 out of 6 incoming salvos, eh?  :-)

Good luck & have fun.  Hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :-)

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts
55 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

Dude don't be jerk, give him some tips what you did is crap and low. Says allot bout you.

Not so.

He offered 4 thoughts about game itself and how it goes.

What I DID WAS give him the tips that work in battle within the game. Total opposites of what he THOUGHT are good things to remember.

If you cannot communicate between two people exchanging ideas and debating a position one for and one against without hurting feewings then we have a big problem.

For example. Random. You DD. You get to edge of objective circle then smoke. Guess what, thats a smoke signal telling enemy team of humans exactly where you are and what you are tying to do. They will see what they can do to prevent you from surviving long enough in that smoke.

Their responses will be predictable.

1_Radar. Exposes you in that smoke.

2- Apply firepower until you are chased off and or sunk. In either case you are "Hors De Combat" while they move in to take the whole base. Rest of your teammates hang way back fearing their paints to be scratched.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
20 minutes ago, Mercury_Trap said:

Concealment is life, even with BB's, and especially in human players versus human players situations.

If you played only in co-op and scenario operations, then concealment is less of a concern.  But in randoms/ranked/clan-modes, concealment matters.

The secondary battery guns, by themselves, aren't getting you spotted. 
If those guns are firing, it is because something has entered their gun range, and that something is spotting your ship because it is inside your ship's detection radius AND your ship can see a target for the sec-bat guns to fire at.
Short version?  Your secondary battery guns only fire at what they can see, and what they can see has already seen you.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts
47 minutes ago, NobleWhiteManlet said:

I don't know if this guy is trolling or just bad cause he hid his stats but information and context are the answers to all your questions.

First piece of advice. Download Aslains mod pack, or the official Wows one. It gives you so much useful info to help make good decisions.

Second. Make sure to have your user interface set up optimally. There are guide videos, but generally you want a bigger mini-map with as much info showing as possible and team lists showing on your screen so you know what ships are still alive. Now to your questions.

1. If you have hydro up as long as you want provided someone is spotting for you and there are no red hydros or radar nearby.

2. Something that comes with experience. You have to know your ship and if you are capable of making the shot to make switching ammo worth it.

3. Depends. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your team is to hold a flank in a Petro or Stali and soak up over 1mil in dmg so they can push the other side.

4. Some ships are made to kite in almost all circumstances. It's the meta right now to kite and HE/SAP spam.

Glad to see you're putting effort in improving. If you haven't already found his channel, PotatoQuality is a unicum (player with a plus 60% w/r) that makes very good vids. Flamu is good too, despite what people here may say. He does Stat shame a lot and criticize the hell out of WG, but I've hardly ever seen him been wrong. Few things make me want to quit this game more than seeing someone make an inexplicably idiotic play that loses a game, then looking up their stats and seeing they have tens of thousands of battles with a sub 45% winrate.

You like to take cheap shots at me via veiled writing dontcha.

Listen up Mister. I keep stats private because these forums FULL of people who have no life other than to pick over them and compare it to their own superunicumBS purple crap in any part of teh game. Online games have stats yes but stats are for yourself. Means nothing overall. Keep them private removes a problem entirely. I cannot be bothered to worry about the blessed Stats.

As far as trolling, thats not the case. Its a cheap word to try and marginalize my participation in this particular subject.

Thats strike two. You will be put on the ignore list and we have had our last converstation. Troll that.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles
19 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Not so.

He offered 4 thoughts about game itself and how it goes.

What I DID WAS give him the tips that work in battle within the game. Total opposites of what he THOUGHT are good things to remember.

If you cannot communicate between two people exchanging ideas and debating a position one for and one against without hurting feewings then we have a big problem.

For example. Random. You DD. You get to edge of objective circle then smoke. Guess what, thats a smoke signal telling enemy team of humans exactly where you are and what you are tying to do. They will see what they can do to prevent you from surviving long enough in that smoke.

Their responses will be predictable.

1_Radar. Exposes you in that smoke.

2- Apply firepower until you are chased off and or sunk. In either case you are "Hors De Combat" while they move in to take the whole base. Rest of your teammates hang way back fearing their paints to be scratched.

No what you did was troll him

Your flank will be gone. YOU are it when rounds rain all around you from 6 enemies closing. 

Positioning only gets you killed. (Complete untruth Position is very important, you know it everyone knows it, is more of a art than a science so yes your just being a jerk for suggesting it to someone who wants solid advice)

switching is a waste of time. Gets you sunk waiting on reload. (Using the right ammo for the job is important its not a waste of time, again you know it most others who have played the game allot know it, if you want to point out that in a firefight it best to stay with what you got when HP is low, got it, but to say its just a waste of time that just poor advice and you know this)

Don't smoke at all, all you are doing is saying HERE I AM. You can expect a oceanful of torps in a short time. (Don't smoke! Really that's what your going with? Smoke is valuable and very useful, again you know it everyone knows it. The trick is how to use it wisely, but once again you know this any experienced player know this.)

You example does not support don't smoke , it supports using it wisely. So that why I think you were just trolling

[BINGO]
[BINGO]
Members
111 posts
6,994 battles
20 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

You like to take cheap shots at me via veiled writing dontcha.

Listen up Mister. I keep stats private because these forums FULL of people who have no life other than to pick over them and compare it to their own superunicumBS purple crap in any part of teh game. Online games have stats yes but stats are for yourself. Means nothing overall. Keep them private removes a problem entirely. I cannot be bothered to worry about the blessed Stats.

As far as trolling, thats not the case. Its a cheap word to try and marginalize my participation in this particular subject.

Thats strike two. You will be put on the ignore list and we have had our last converstation. Troll that.

You gave bad advice to a new player so, I was pointing that out to him. Like it or not, stats are a good way to know player skill. Usually the only people who hide theirs are super unicums or potatoes.

If you took it personally, that's on you.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,324 posts
8,518 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

Positioning only gets you killed. 

Positional knowledge is the most important knowledge in this game. If you don't have that and don't bother to develop it, you will do poorly. That is terrible advice.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts
8 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

No what you did was troll him

Your flank will be gone. YOU are it when rounds rain all around you from 6 enemies closing. 

Positioning only gets you killed. (Complete untruth Position is very important, you know it everyone knows it, is more of a art than a science so yes your just being a jerk for suggesting it to someone who wants solid advice)

switching is a waste of time. Gets you sunk waiting on reload. (Using the right ammo for the job is important its not a waste of time, again you know it most others who have played the game allot know it, if you want to point out that in a firefight it best to stay with what you got when HP is low, got it, but to say its just a waste of time that just poor advice and you know this)

Don't smoke at all, all you are doing is saying HERE I AM. You can expect a oceanful of torps in a short time. (Don't smoke! Really that's what your going with? Smoke is valuable and very useful, again you know it everyone knows it. The trick is how to use it wisely, but once again you know this any experienced player know this.)

You example does not support don't smoke , it supports using it wisely. So that why I think you were just trolling

Smoke or not smoke etc.

Thats your decision.

The OP wanted thoughts from other Players of this game on the four points he laid out. What this thread turned into is a pile on heavy crap. That ends now.

ALL of the positions I have taken are unchanged, Not swayed by both counter thoughts and particularly not helpful when you and others continue to accuse me of trolling. What I am doing is defending my position. You can understand and accept that we will get no where going round in circles on this stupid forum the same old tired way.

• Boring 2

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles

Whatever man you gave bad advice, you shouldn't do that to a new player. Unless possible your a new player and just didn't know better if that is true I apologize; ignorance is not a bad thing its just lack of experience. Either way best of luck to you.

• Cool 2

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,078 posts
27,844 battles
3 hours ago, Mercury_Trap said:

Don’t sit in smoke to long, but how long is too long. Maximize smoke time without getting torped. Use of the minimap and knowing where the enemy toro ships are.

You can sit in smoke though, just not always. 

Use your minimap to identify where enemy DDs that could torp you are or might be. 

Use that information the angle against potential torpedoes. Bow or stern on makes you a thin target for torpedoes as they progressively widen from the point of origin. In doing so you might give up firing from a turret but firing from 2 turrets is better than not firing at all.

Propulsion and Steering Mods can both assist you in using your smoke and avoiding torps. It's your choice, based on preference and ship, on which to use or even using both.

Use your smoke sparingly but wisely. If it's going to save your butt, use it but dont try to farm from every smoke charge in the game right at the start. You can use islands to help save smoke charges. Not in every game but in plenty of them, smoke can become more valuable in the late game. If there are no enemy DDs left, smoke farming is .uch easier where as at the start there could be 4 or even 5 enemy DDs capable of torpedoing you in smoke. 

Sometimes your smoke works better for your allies than it does for you. By this I mean it can be more beneficial for you to smoke up an allied cruiser, for example, so he can radar the enemy DD that's contesting your cap. Meanwhile your low detection ship can be ahead of the smoke to provide spotting.

Dont be afraid to use smoke against carriers. All to often I find DDs unwilling to use their smoke to protect themselves from CV spotting. While it does suck to feel like you're wasting a consumable, if you're saving ship HP is it truly a waste. CVs are most powerful at the beginning and end of a match. The mid point where AA is still plentiful and plane losses have been taken is their weaker point. So using smoke at those points is better as well. Smoking against the CV can also buy you a lot of "free time" as he wont know if you're sitting in that smoke, per say, or if you leave it and thus he may go fond someone else to target after a bit.

• Thanks 1

[WOLF6]
Members
328 posts
8,642 battles
5 hours ago, NobleWhiteManlet said:

Few things make me want to quit this game more than seeing someone make an inexplicably idiotic play that loses a game, then looking up their stats and seeing they have tens of thousands of battles with a sub 45% winrate.

Don't get mad at the grandpas.  And this game have jack shiat in game tutorial.  

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,531 battles
10 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Your

These are absolutely terrible "tips" . That is why people are accusing you of trolling. You are advocating the wrong things.  

That is one of your worst tips.   Learning how to kite is a key skill. Rarely is it " 6 enemies " shooting at you when you kite.  Hell even then I have kited 5-6 enemies in different games long enough to make a difference. Kiting as few as 2 or 3 is normal and can be very easy.  Delaying a flank to buy time is often absolutely critical as you are effectively removing those ships from the fight for that duraiton.   What the do you suggest anyway ? Charge in and die  when your flank collapses? 

Positioning only gets you killed.

That is just a pure nonsense answer. Positioning is simply the act of putting yourself in a position. @Mercury_Trap is absolutely correct because positioning is such a broad term. His description is critical.  Propper positioning is absolutely the key to winning games . 

switching is a waste of time. Gets you sunk waiting on reload.

Switching ammo at the right time is also the correct thing to do.... When you do it right there is never additional time to wait and or waiting an additional 10 - 12 seconds to fire off an AP broadside that devastates and enemy ship rather then continuously firing HE is the right choice. 

Dont smoke at all, all you are doing is saying HERE I AM. You can expect a oceanful of torps in a short time.

Again WRONG and far to broad.  DO smoke  in the appropriate place at the appropriate time.  Yeah there are times when you do not want to smoke, like not smoking up the moment you touch cap.  Yet there a massive number of ships and situations where you  benefit hugely by being able to farm from smoke. 

10 hours ago, Mercury_Trap said:

- If you are in a DD count the number of radars on the enemy team on load in.  When facing radars, at the beginning of the match don't go into cap until you know or are sure of enemy radar positions. 

- When taking a cap go in  / sit with your front end poining to safety and your rear end pointing towards the most likely place the enemy DD could have launched torpedoes from. 

- Learn to master fine positional control of your ship.  Like being able to go full steam behind an island and coming to a stop exactly where you want to be without ramming the island itself.

- MM often mirrors opposing sides.  Don't leave your cap / your side of the map to sail somewhere more comfortable. Work on being able to play in any condition. Islands or not. 

- Playing off of the last point. If friendlies are lemmining over to your side of the map. That creates an imbalance. You need to make the decision whether a strong push from you is called for  or  whether you are in a position to plug the gap left by the potatoes on your team that left their flank. 

- Find a strong clan that divisions a lot. A good division that communicates about the match at hand (rather then BSing all evening long)  is a very powerful thing.

- When playing a BB with large caliber guns. When facing a Bow in enemy especially at medium to closer in ranges.  Work at raking their superstructure / guns with AP rather then switching to HE. For one you have good chances of breaking guns. Two you will often get full pens on their Conning towers. Three you may sometimes plunge shells over the turrets into the guts of the ship propper for full pens. Four some ships are even vulnerable to bow penetration and sometimes citadels.  

• Cool 1

Members
795 posts
10,280 battles
10 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Your

I'm with the other posters, xheavy is giving you bad advice:

Positioning only gets you killed ?!?!

Don't switch ammo?

Don't use smoke?

Don't listen to this guy.

• Cool 1

[BINGO]
[BINGO]
Members
111 posts
6,994 battles
5 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

Don't get mad at the grandpas.  And this game have jack shiat in game tutorial.  

You aren't wrong about there being no tutorial. You'd think that after a long time of losing more than you win and not doing well in those games, people would at least look to improve is all I'm saying.

This is a team game, and because WG made rewards determined based on winning or losing, a competitive one in every mode outside of co-op. If a player is that bad after that long, they are just a detriment to their team.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
15,577 battles

One thing it took me a long time to learn is, you don't have to be there first. Take your time, see how your team disperses, see how the opposing teams disperses if there's a CV to spot.

Being alive is more valuable than getting a cap early.

[Y0L0W]
Members
525 posts
10,189 battles

Everyone here is giving great advice except for xHeavy. The 4 points you mentioned in your post are all very very true, and mastering those elements of the game will 100% improve your results. Other things I would like to add:

1. Know your ship: Not every ship is meant to play the same way. Not every DD is a cap contester, not every BB is a brawler, not every cruiser is DPM focused. Understanding the basic and advanced attributes of your ship, as well as the enemy's ships will give you an extreme advantage in battle. 

2. Learn your radars: Learn what ships have them, which ones don't, and at a minimum know the general duration. Knowing this will tell you how far up you can push, and also lets you know if your friendly cruiser can support or not. 

3. Learn when its ok to farm damage, and when you need to go play the objective. Everyone wants those big damage numbers but sometimes damage isn't everything. 

• Cool 1

[FRR]
Members
1,025 posts

I like this thread as I am learning a lot from the discussions. Glad to see fellow players contribute and offer great advice.

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
14 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

Everyone here is giving great advice except for xHeavy. The 4 points you mentioned in your post are all very very true, and mastering those elements of the game will 100% improve your results. Other things I would like to add:

1. Know your ship: Not every ship is meant to play the same way. Not every DD is a cap contester, not every BB is a brawler, not every cruiser is DPM focused. Understanding the basic and advanced attributes of your ship, as well as the enemy's ships will give you an extreme advantage in battle. 

Agree.

I would like to elaborate on point 1 a bit, though. Knowing your ship well is key to get the best results with it, however, knowing your opposition is the next critical step. Using DDs as an example again:

• know who has better concealment than you do; if you can outspot the other DD you can dictate the engagement, whereas if you will be detected first you have to be more careful (generally speaking).
  • know the firepower of your opponent, you want to know who will outgun you and who you outgun.
  • understanding how the other ship is played allows you to predict their moves more easily.

These considerations get more detailed and in-depth the further you go. Key is, know your ship and what it (and you in it!) can do against specific other ships.