You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zenbutcher

How to play the Shchors

13 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
37 posts
16,283 battles

This was once one of my favorite ships.  Basically unplayable now.  I found that the Perth when you removed the heavy HE and AP attack skill was not fixed upon by the BBs and other ships.  Making that change did not affect the Shchors.  I am often in a group of ships and the only one being fired upon, many times from great distances.  The changes that were made to the game have rendered many cruisers obsolete but not all.

There may be tactics or changes in how to play this ship.  If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

Thanks.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

Find big island.

Wait for Red team to get to you.

Start Shooting. Don't miss.

[NSEW]
Members
2,542 posts
12,078 battles

Fire the guns at range with an egress position.  Keep note of your gun bloom detection timer.  Fire HE rounds, but take the AP broadside shots whenever it's possible.  Use rudder module.  Keep moving, do not come to a full stop ever unless necessary.  Keep with fleet if able, and try to ripple fire along with the other ships firing around you.  

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[REKTD]
Members
669 posts
11,630 battles

I use the rudder mod, and also vary speed while kiting. Never fire broadside to a BB, it only takes one proper salvo back for Shchors. I’ve found her to be a really fun ship, but when visible you will always be the target. Too easy to get dev strikes on to pass up for most captains.

Use the appeal to your advantage, drawing fire and enemy BBs out of position so your allies can focus on them. When they start to get too close for comfort - go dark and reposition.

Edited by SuperComm4
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles
15 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Fire the guns at range with an egress position.  Keep note of your gun bloom detection timer.  Fire HE rounds, but take the AP broadside shots whenever it's possible.  Use rudder module.  Keep moving, do not come to a full stop ever unless necessary.  Keep with fleet if able, and try to ripple fire along with the other ships firing around you.  

This.

Play at range, stay mobile.  DON'T GET SHOT.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,798 battles

Play at almost maximum range. Forget it has torps. Torps are a late game, last resource or ambush gimmick.

You are an opportunity sniper. Not a brawler. Try to exploit positioning and map awareness.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,964 battles

Shchors plays like the rest of the Russian light cruisers. Face your butt at the enemy at long range and click. Change throttle a lot, but don't over-rudder.

[WOLFG]
Members
1,176 posts

Shchors was one of my favorite ships.  I've always played it as a kiting ship.  As stated, use your WASD allot.  Other ships will get tired of trying to hit you and move on to a new target.   Good for holding off a flank rush.   It isn't going to directly win any games, but you should always be one of the last alive in a battle.  

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

TBH I find RU CL style very one dimensional and boring, you are restricted to long range spam and that's it. The things are too inflexible to do anything else, good as training botes for kiting but not really anything else

[WOLFG]
Members
1,176 posts
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

TBH I find RU CL style very one dimensional and boring, you are restricted to long range spam and that's it. The things are too inflexible to do anything else, good as training botes for kiting but not really anything else

I agree.  It does get boring really fast.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,604 posts
10,993 battles

Schors can island waifu a bit, but in general focus on burning CRs and DDs over BBs.

AP any broadside CR or BB if you can.

Use island cover to support your DDs as you need spotting.

If you get within 10km your AP can punch through some BBs' side armor for nasty damage.

CVs are a minor threat except for the TB as their torps are adept at busting rudders if touch the stern.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,651 posts
26,547 battles

I know people like to constantly bring up "But Petropavlovsk says Russian Cruisers are Tanky!"  They aren't.  Petro is tanky.  Premiums Moskva and Stalingrad while bow on are tanky.  The rest of the many other Russian Cruisers aren't.

TLDR:  Play at range or DIE.

Long version:

For the rest of the Russian Cruisers there are 4 simple, general truths:

1.  Amazing shell flight characteristics at range.

2.  Bad to downright atrocious protection schemes.  Some of them make Emerald and Omaha look tanky.  This is one of the few Cruiser Lines out there with multiple examples of ships that can be Overmatched by 203mm SAP on the Armor Belt and get Citadeled.  Not Schors specifically, but it helps paint the picture how squishy the Line is.

3.  Terrible concealment.  Some of these Cruisers are so bad in concealment that they sneak just as poorly as a Battleship.

4.  Terrible agility.  It's not so much the rudder shift time being bad.  It's the turning circle radius.  Russian Cruisers will start your turn commands just fine, it's just that they execute the maneuvers lazily.  These Cruisers have yoooge turning circle radius.  Someone starting to shoot at you from your sides?  You're in big trouble mister, your RU Cruiser won't respond in time and angle away in time before you're deleted.

What does this mean for Schors and how to play her?  Very simple:  Play at long range or DIE.

Most Russian Cruisers are horrible to push with.  Pushing with Schors means using points 2, 3, and 4 above and taking these problems to the forefront for your enemies to exploit.  Schors isn't going to surprise anyone, and she reacts slowly, poorly to unforeseen surprises.  With her concealment being so bad, it's real easy for someone to see you coming a mile away and easily plan an ambush to your sides.  When you finally notice that flank ambush, IF you survive the first 1-2 salvos to your very exposed Citadel, Schors will sail too lazily to save you.

Play at long range or DIE.

When I got Schors long ago I made a huge mistake by playing her aggressively, as if I was playing a USN Radar Cruiser trying to support the caps.  All that did was get my Schors deleted.  I simply switched tactics and just sat in the back in a group of ships, supporting the team with a steady stream of super fast flying, accurate Russian 152mm HE shells.  Make it a point to go after Destroyers whenever possible, your range and shell flight characteristics are absolutely fantastic for it.  Schors may not be good in close range support work, but the Russian 152mm guns can easily reach out and touch DDs.  With 12 of those guns, it's very good firepower and chances to screw over a DD.

Baddies pushing against you in strength?  Kite away and spam them, burn them, make them regret it.  JUST STAY AT RANGE.

The closer you are, the more easy it is to hit you.  If you become easy to hit, then your awful protection scheme will be easy to exploit.  The further away you are, the more difficult it is for people to hit you, and so they can't exploit your bad protection scheme as easily.

As a newer player, Schors was one of the first ships where I ever got "Hackused" with, people complaining in chat how I never missed my shots.  I remember still a game from around 2016 where this Tier VI Cleveland player bitterly complained in open match chat that I was hacking, because he could never hit me at range and I kept on hitting his Cleveland nonstop.  One of my fondest moments was trolling 3 Battleships to chase me into the most remote corner of the map, taking them out of play, more importantly, the 3 Morons didn't bother securing the cap to go after me and kill me in the middle of nowhere.  This was fantastic for my team because the reds never got that cap and they had 3 BBs playing zero role for the rest of the match.

Don't get cute trying to scout for the team in Schors.  You should be very wary about capping.  Don't let the BB players try to tell you to go scout for them.  F--k that.  Schors is not built for any of that, you will get spotted easily like a BB and you WILL GET SMASHED TO PIECES IF YOU TRY.

Russian Cruisers have fantastic guns purpose built for long range combat.  Their protection schemes aren't good.  Stay at range, survive, so you can deal damage.

tenor.gif?itemid=12390487&f=1&nofb=1

You start taking these Russian Cruisers out of that role they are specialized in, long range gun support, you start rolling some dice with very dangerous odds.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2