Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
tyinnow

The Four Rules of Shchors

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

72
[H-WS]
Members
446 posts
6,105 battles

I loved Budyonny and I loved Kirov, even if I have a hard time both finding and playing both. Of course, aside from the morals of playing an HE spammer. However, my performance in Shchors has been nothing short of infuriating, mostly incapable of doing anything at all. No, it is impossible to play, as impossible as a Saint Louis in a tier 10 match.

And I'm honestly surprised at how well these experiences line up.

1. Your guns are decent, but with 15.2 kilometer range you will not be able to aim at anything but destroyers. Everything else, though, outranges you, especially battleships. I know spotting aircraft, but even then that's not enough.

2. At the same time, at even this extreme range, it is a game of pre-0.10.5 Just DodgeTM, except the planes are battleship shells. Imagine doing more complicated maneuvers such as turning around. Golly jeez.

3. And when you are hit, you are hit hard. I've seen myself at pretty much every location on the ship. Bow-in, stern-in, angled, and, of course, broadside. Shchors will not survive any enemy attention, no matter the amount. 

4. You're a tier VII ship, you are more often than not uptiered. Most cruisers and battleships outrange you at tier VII, let alone tier IX.

These experiences have been so common and so universal I nihilistically call them the "Four Rules of Shchors". Not any helpful game tips, just natural laws as fundamental as gravitation. This is seriously the first time I am inquiring to take some of my hard-earned Free XP and move to another ship, namely the Tallinn; I can hardly take it anymore. 

In short, if anyone has any help to give, please do. I was a firm believer in the idea that all ships can be made workable, but the Shchors has shattered that to some extent. It was something that kept me returning to the game year after year, that ships could not be unplayable at all, but here I am, with one in my port, and one now posted here, whiny and humiliating.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[WOLF6]
Members
328 posts
8,642 battles

It has 16.8k upgraded, one of the better ranges at tier 7. 

I have success with it  as kitting cruisers,

It's a CL, get nuke when broadside by almost everything, be always on the move, always maneuvering.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,824
[PVE]
Members
8,822 posts
25,144 battles
1 hour ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

It has 16.8k upgraded, one of the better ranges at tier 7. 

I have success with it  as kitting cruisers,

It's a CL, get nuke when broadside by almost everything, be always on the move, always maneuvering.

 

Works great as a kiting cruiser...but I specced it a bit odd to add to that...

1 hour ago, tyinnow said:

I loved Budyonny and I loved Kirov, even if I have a hard time both finding and playing both. Of course, aside from the morals of playing an HE spammer. However, my performance in Shchors has been nothing short of infuriating, mostly incapable of doing anything at all. No, it is impossible to play, as impossible as a Saint Louis in a tier 10 match.

And I'm honestly surprised at how well these experiences line up.

1. Your guns are decent, but with 15.2 kilometer range you will not be able to aim at anything but destroyers. Everything else, though, outranges you, especially battleships. I know spotting aircraft, but even then that's not enough.

2. At the same time, at even this extreme range, it is a game of pre-0.10.5 Just DodgeTM, except the planes are battleship shells. Imagine doing more complicated maneuvers such as turning around. Golly jeez.

3. And when you are hit, you are hit hard. I've seen myself at pretty much every location on the ship. Bow-in, stern-in, angled, and, of course, broadside. Shchors will not survive any enemy attention, no matter the amount. 

4. You're a tier VII ship, you are more often than not uptiered. Most cruisers and battleships outrange you at tier VII, let alone tier IX.

These experiences have been so common and so universal I nihilistically call them the "Four Rules of Shchors". Not any helpful game tips, just natural laws as fundamental as gravitation. This is seriously the first time I am inquiring to take some of my hard-earned Free XP and move to another ship, namely the Tallinn; I can hardly take it anymore. 

In short, if anyone has any help to give, please do. I was a firm believer in the idea that all ships can be made workable, but the Shchors has shattered that to some extent. It was something that kept me returning to the game year after year, that ships could not be unplayable at all, but here I am, with one in my port, and one now posted here, whiny and humiliating.

Took the spotter skill (50% less duration/50% quicker reload)...& as I wasn't planning on taking it into caps to try to hydro out DDs (& getting nuked right at the start every battle) I took DFAA & stayed back...

Worked out pretty good in CV matches...AA isn't spectacular...but the CVs just don't expect the DFAA on it I've discovered so I found it kinda good for pushing up a little at start for supporting DDs & others later after kiting back when they came back to harass the team...but (by pushing up at the start)...also...

With it's RU railgun accuracy & fairly decent reload I found you could pop the spotter at the start when the CV 1st spoted an early DD & you can take some decent chunks off a DDs from the get go if not just help the CV to sink them*** (& you're not far enough forward at that time to be in much danger from other ship types at firing range...rudder shift mod necessary though to help dodge that. in case (& Adrenalin Rush also...just in case) & there's plenty of time after that 1st spotter plane salvo to kite back to keep the range & go dark if needed...or if you have good island cover to find a decent target to harass as they're getting into your unspotter plane range... but yeah...keeping back is good strategy...at least at the very start.

***I did just finish grinding it right before the rocket nerfs so it was easier for the CV to get some decent hits on them so YMMV on helping killing them at the start...but you will get some decent hits (I'd usually get at least a shell every volley if not a couple on some of them...& I'm not all that good with spotter planes...then would try to position to help take them out the rest of the way after the spotter ran out...while in kiting mode).

Oh yeah...& I passed on the 2 point PT & went with the 1 point IFA...which is more effective at longer ranges.

Not that you need to hang back all match...once the herd thins you can move up (w/island or occasional teammate smoke cover) for decent AP salvos on other light cruisers or HE madness on out of position (or just caught in the open after their support melts) BBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
795 posts
10,280 battles

Shchors is IMO one of the best mid-tier cruisers in the game.

A few bits of advice:

1)16.8 km is the actual range, not 15.2km. This is actually pretty good and you outrange most tier 7 cruisers.

2)Get the IFHE captain skill, it really helps your low caliber guns damage higher tier ships.

3) Play at range. Your guns are accurate enough to hit most targets, and if you are WSADing and positioning properly BBs will struggle to hit you at 16km. Awesome kiting ship. Get Priority Target and always focus on making yourself difficult to hit. Go dark and reposition if you are getting focus fired.

4) It's squishy and not a great brawler.  Don't push in too far early in the match before the enemy team has been spotted, stay closer to your BBs. That said, in the late game you can get selectively aggressive especially vs. lone DDS. Your fast firing guns murder them super fast, if there are no BBs around to delete you then pop hydro and go to town.

5)The guns have flat arcs but you can still use islands for cover like any other cruiser if you have spotting. Take advantage when available.

 

The guns are the true strength of the Shchors. Accurate, flat arcs, fast firing, fast tracking, lots of damage with IFHE.

It's an awesome ship when played properly.

 

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,419
[RBMK]
Members
2,325 posts
36,490 battles
5 hours ago, tyinnow said:

I loved Budyonny and I loved Kirov, even if I have a hard time both finding and playing both. Of course, aside from the morals of playing an HE spammer. However, my performance in Shchors has been nothing short of infuriating, mostly incapable of doing anything at all. No, it is impossible to play, as impossible as a Saint Louis in a tier 10 match.

And I'm honestly surprised at how well these experiences line up.

1. Your guns are decent, but with 15.2 kilometer range you will not be able to aim at anything but destroyers. Everything else, though, outranges you, especially battleships. I know spotting aircraft, but even then that's not enough.

2. At the same time, at even this extreme range, it is a game of pre-0.10.5 Just DodgeTM, except the planes are battleship shells. Imagine doing more complicated maneuvers such as turning around. Golly jeez.

3. And when you are hit, you are hit hard. I've seen myself at pretty much every location on the ship. Bow-in, stern-in, angled, and, of course, broadside. Shchors will not survive any enemy attention, no matter the amount. 

4. You're a tier VII ship, you are more often than not uptiered. Most cruisers and battleships outrange you at tier VII, let alone tier IX.

These experiences have been so common and so universal I nihilistically call them the "Four Rules of Shchors". Not any helpful game tips, just natural laws as fundamental as gravitation. This is seriously the first time I am inquiring to take some of my hard-earned Free XP and move to another ship, namely the Tallinn; I can hardly take it anymore. 

In short, if anyone has any help to give, please do. I was a firm believer in the idea that all ships can be made workable, but the Shchors has shattered that to some extent. It was something that kept me returning to the game year after year, that ships could not be unplayable at all, but here I am, with one in my port, and one now posted here, whiny and humiliating.

 

2 hours ago, Dr_Powderfinger said:

Shchors is IMO one of the best mid-tier cruisers in the game.

A few bits of advice:

1)16.8 km is the actual range, not 15.2km. This is actually pretty good and you outrange most tier 7 cruisers.

2)Get the IFHE captain skill, it really helps your low caliber guns damage higher tier ships.

3) Play at range. Your guns are accurate enough to hit most targets, and if you are WSADing and positioning properly BBs will struggle to hit you at 16km. Awesome kiting ship. Get Priority Target and always focus on making yourself difficult to hit. Go dark and reposition if you are getting focus fired.

4) It's squishy and not a great brawler.  Don't push in too far early in the match before the enemy team has been spotted, stay closer to your BBs. That said, in the late game you can get selectively aggressive especially vs. lone DDS. Your fast firing guns murder them super fast, if there are no BBs around to delete you then pop hydro and go to town.

5)The guns have flat arcs but you can still use islands for cover like any other cruiser if you have spotting. Take advantage when available.

 

The guns are the true strength of the Shchors. Accurate, flat arcs, fast firing, fast tracking, lots of damage with IFHE.

It's an awesome ship when played properly.

 

The good Dr sums it up quite well. Take rudder shift and kite, kite, kite.

One of the best ships for hitting DDs from a safer distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[XMAXX]
Members
12 posts
1,919 battles

I learned from brawls that against t7 light cruisers you can maul them up close, and catching a DD at 6k from around an island and your guns trained is pure magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×