Sign in to follow this  
SteffisCute

Wedding BBQ

27 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
568 posts

Ok so we have been discussing what we will serve at the wedding.

We are getting married in the backyard of my house, which is like 4 acres. Unfortunately the Orthodox Church does NOT perform same sex marriages so despite a lifetime of attendance and a lot of donated money from my dad, they cannot budge. wth.

So it will be a home catered thing. I don't drink alcohol because I think it is sinful but my Dad put the kibosh on THAT saying there was no way in hell his friends were going to sit through my wedding and only drink green tea. Ok, fine, whatever.

Bekah wanted an all organic vegetable heavy hippie crap sort of spread and I put the kibosh on that (by threatening to kibosh her on the head with a pork chop).

So I put my pink Converse sneaker clad foot down and said I accepted the tux thing and the alcohol thing so I get to choose the menu.

AND ITS A BBQ!!!! AWWWW YEAH!!!!

Yup...its gonna be a BBQ heart attack wedding. No salads, no tofu, no organic gluten free whatever...pure 100% American BEEF!!! and PORK! and CHICKEN!!!

Corn on the cob, baked beans, all the good stuff. 

I wanted a pig roast but Bekah nearly fainted at the idea.

So Dad will hire some BBQ guys he saw on some show..Pitmasters I think...

Oh and I have started training Bessie to carry the rings down the aisle. So far she does about 2 feet then either waters off or falls asleep.

Edited by SteffisCute

[SALVO]
Members
26,582 posts
31,419 battles
4 minutes ago, SteffisCute said:

We are getting married in the backyard of my house, which is like 4 acres. Unfortunately the Orthodox Church does NOT perform same sex marriages so despite a lifetime of attendance and a lot of donated money from my dad, they cannot budge. wth.

Churches don't work that way.  Churches don't teach what the congregants want.  It's up to the congregants to fall in line with the teaching or they can find a church that's more to their liking.

9 minutes ago, SteffisCute said:

So it will be a home catered thing. I don't drink alcohol because I think it is sinful but my Dad put the kibosh on THAT saying there was no way in hell his friends were going to sit through my wedding and only drink green tea. Ok, fine, whatever.

Honestly, I've never understood how people can be so shallow that they're incapable of having a good time without alcohol.  I mean, hey, I wouldn't want to drink green tea either.  But there are so many other non-alcoholic options out there.

[PVE]
Members
11,155 posts
19,502 battles

Congrats for you two. Come for the Wedding. Stay for the food.

image.thumb.png.622a75dab8f51af1e1d3e74e958200da.png

image.thumb.png.d7de0c5b9a96777ccfaa1cd1bd256b38.png

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

Honestly, I've never understood how people can be so shallow that they're incapable of having a good time without alcohol.

I don't drink and never saw much sense in going to bars. When I was in college I let some friends drag me to a bar a few times. Mostly I noticed that bars were just loud, smoky, and boring. The only reason that people thought that they were having fun in them was that they were drunk.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
1 hour ago, SteffisCute said:

Yup...its gonna be a BBQ heart attack wedding. No salads, no tofu, no organic gluten free whatever...pure 100% American BEEF!!! and PORK! and CHICKEN!!!

Corn on the cob, baked beans, all the good stuff. 

Don't forget the cole slaw.  And salad goes with BBQ.  Try not to be as dogmatic as your opposition. 

[WOLF3]
Members
568 posts

Apparently we HAVE to have salad as some of my elderly relatives would not be able to handle all that BBQ.

Fine. As long as I get corn muffins too.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
7 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Don't forget the cole slaw.  And salad goes with BBQ.  Try not to be as dogmatic as your opposition. 

It's funny but though I tend to dislike vegetables in the mustard family because I have the gene that makes them taste bitter, coleslaw is an exception. It must be the vinegar in it that counteracts the bitter taste for me. Coleslaw gets a big "thumb's up" from me at any barbecue. Just don't let it sit out un-cooled for more than an hour or you will regret eating it. Don't go by the "two hour" rule -- it takes far less time for food to spoil at summer temperatures.

[BB-57]
Members
479 posts
16,059 battles

Haven't found any cole-slaw that beats KFC... simple is good.

[WORX]
Members
14,151 posts
20,608 battles

Please add mac and cheese to the already delicious menu and I'll be there!!!!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
41 minutes ago, DakotaViking said:

Back in the 60s, KFC was top-notch family dining. However, I stopped going there in the early 2000s because they really went downhill. In fact, most of the corporate fast food joints slacked off on quality about then. The only fast food place I've eaten at in over a decade is Arbys.

@Navalpride33, it's amazing that I still like mac & cheese because that's about all I could afford for a long time when I was in college. Using mac & cheese and cheap tuna fish, I could make me a meal for 50 cents at the time. I use the good tuna now so it's about $2.50 but it's still a cheap and tasty meal.

[WORX]
Members
14,151 posts
20,608 battles
8 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

it's amazing that I still like mac & cheese because that's about all I could afford for a long time when I was in college. Using mac & cheese and cheap tuna fish,

The good Mac N Chesse right now IMO.... Chick Fil-A.

A medium batch of this delicious poison will set you back only $4 bucks,,, Not bad to be honest..

Even better then ^this... THEY CATER!!!!

Edited by Navalpride33

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,210 posts
26,332 battles
6 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Back in the 60s, KFC was top-notch family dining. However, I stopped going there in the early 2000s because they really went downhill. In fact, most of the corporate fast food joints slacked off on quality about then. The only fast food place I've eaten at in over a decade is Arbys.

I quit going to fast food places about the same time. When they quit hiring high school & college kids and replaced them with angry, middle aged people, I knew it was time to bail. From the looks of things, I made the right call. 

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles

Congratulations to the bride & the bride on their engagement.
Best wishes for a perfect wedding and an enjoyable reception party.

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,144 battles
On 6/21/2021 at 5:51 PM, SteffisCute said:

Unfortunately the Orthodox Church does NOT perform same sex marriages...they cannot budge. wth.

I don't drink alcohol because I think it is sinful.

I hope you understand the contradiction in those 2 viewpoints...

Not giving my personal viewpoint as it's not only against the forum rules to derail a thread that way...but more importantly...because it's irrelevant (just like your comment about donations btw)...

But your confusion on their viewpoint on the 1st part followed by your viewpoint on the 2nd is where the contradiction lies.

It would be a sin (in their eyes anyway...again...no personal viewpoint here) for them to perform the marriage as "same sex" is a sin in their religion...so for them to perform the religious ritual of their religion for a "same sex" couple would be a contradiction to their beliefs...no amount of donations changes their view on that.

Just like allowing alcohol at your wedding if you think it's a sin just because your dad is paying for it & wants alcohol is a contradiction of your beliefs if you truly believe it to be a sin.

But all of that aside...I hope the ceremony goes well & you 2 are happy together :-)

& BBQ is a great choice IMO... but those that aren't used to massive amounts of meat can get sick from massive amounts all at once...just an FYI to let your other half have some options that aren't gonna spoil the Honeymoon by her spending most of the night in the porcelain throne room...

Not that you can't have a traditional "Cut the Steak 🥩" ceremony (wait...ah...close enough)...but let her get some of those weeds & bushes those vegetarian types are used to in her also so she's got some kind of energy for later...

& Of Course Mac & Cheese is always a good choice :-)

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,144 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Arbys.

@Navalpride33, it's amazing that I still like mac & cheese because that's about all I could afford for a long time when I was in college. Using mac & cheese and cheap tuna fish, I could make me a meal for 50 cents at the time. I use the good tuna now so it's about $2.50 but it's still a cheap and tasty meal.

4 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Please add mac and cheese to the already delicious menu and I'll be there!!!!

Arby's is the best fast food ever...I could eat Beef & Cheddars every day & never get burnt out on them.

As for the Mac & Cheese...I like tuna...but don't try to adulterate my Mac & Cheese with it.

I can handle other types of meat in it but fishy stuff just doesn't go with it IMO (but I can eat a tuna fish sandwich with it...just gotta have the Mac & Cheese seperate with it's own distinct taste while eating it).

& there's plenty of alternate versions of Mac & Cheese that are good...but nothing compares to the original Kraft...still the best...& also amazed I still like it after as much as I've had of it...

I could never understand those that put ketchup in it though...uck

I like ketchup on burgers & dogs...but please keep it away from my Mac & Cheese.

I'm actually not a fan of pouring BBQ sauce on meat personally (what can I say...I like the taste of meat...& if your meat is so bad you need to pour BBQ sauce on it... it's my belief you need to get better meat)...but it's acceptable in small quantities & cooked in the meat...just not poured on raw after the meat is cooked.

4 hours ago, DakotaViking said:

Even though I agree w/Snarg that most every other fast food joint's besides Arby's quality has gone seriously down hill...I still like KFC's Cole slaw best also (well...my mom's was the best...but for store bought or fast food versions KFC's is best).

[WORX]
Members
14,151 posts
20,608 battles
12 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Arby's is the best fast food ever..

Did you know,, Arby;s inventory comes in bucket form right?

Any food that  came from a bucket... I got to second guess on the "its delicious" mantra.

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,144 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Did you know,, Arby;s inventory comes in bucket form right?

Any food that  came from a bucket... I got to second guess on the "its delicious" mantra.

Didn't know about the buckets...but after all...it's just like Buddig brand packaged thin sliced meat...kinda like Subway...

But Arby's puts more than a whole Buddig package at once on whereas Subway would get 4 or 5 foot long sandwiches from 1 pack of Buddig (& Subway doesn't have the cheddar cheese good product (let's be real... that's probably not 100% cheese either).

But I was going based off flavor & size/cost as opposed to thinking any fast food is actually good for you...

Most of them have warnings on their drive through windows now (not anywhere in the actual store if you go in... but the drive through gets the warning) telling you there's cancer causing additives (something that starts w/an A...but I forget the actual name of it now)...& it's not even clarified in the warnings what particular items have it in it.

But that's not really a BBQ wedding sort of topic to delve into so gonna quit now on that subject.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles
16 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I was on a job and the electricians working it had just come from building a plant that produced coating mixes for a chicken fast food chain.

From what they described, I am never eating fast food chicken again.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
2 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

From what they described, I am never eating fast food chicken again.

When I was a kid, the local grocer butchered his own meat. He'd just but cattle and pigs from local farmers and process them on Saturday morning. It was always a fun time for us kids as we thought it pretty neat to watch an animal being taken apart. I probably learned more about mammalian anatomy on those Saturday mornings than I did as an undergrad biology student, not to mention that the knowledge came in handy when I started hunting. Unfortunately, the government shut the local butcher operations down for "reasons." Now, all the butchering is done in the packing plants scattered throughout the area. Dad took his high school students on a tour of a local packing plant once and neither he nor his students would eat processed meat for a month.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Most of them have warnings on their drive through windows now (not anywhere in the actual store if you go in... but the drive through gets the warning) telling you there's cancer causing additives

I bought a cold chisel recently; it came with a California prop 65 "contains cancer-causing materials" warning sticker. Literally everything causes cancer according to the California nanny state.

[WORX]
Members
14,151 posts
20,608 battles
On 6/23/2021 at 10:50 AM, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Didn't know about the buckets...but after all...it's just like Buddig brand packaged thin sliced meat...kinda like Subway...

But Arby's puts more than a whole Buddig package at once on whereas Subway would get 4 or 5 foot long sandwiches from 1 pack of Buddig (& Subway doesn't have the cheddar cheese good product (let's be real... that's probably not 100% cheese either).

But I was going based off flavor & size/cost as opposed to thinking any fast food is actually good for you...

Most of them have warnings on their drive through windows now (not anywhere in the actual store if you go in... but the drive through gets the warning) telling you there's cancer causing additives (something that starts w/an A...but I forget the actual name of it now)...& it's not even clarified in the warnings what particular items have it in it.

But that's not really a BBQ wedding sort of topic to delve into so gonna quit now on that subject.

Subway went down the tubes as well... The quality is not the same when they had that sub feud with Quiznos.

Those were the days IMO.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles

Are you having burnt ends?

If you are, you are getting uninvited guests.

Sign in to follow this