You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
palestreamer

Farragut, Pensacola or Dallas?

23 comments in this topic

[MI-BR]
Members
51 posts

I am a newbie player grinding my way up the US line to Tier VI, and I have enough to buy and fully upgrade a Farragut, a Pensacola, or a Dallas. Which would you suggest? I already have the New Mexico, and play Random and Ranked. Is there a noticeable difference between the two US cruiser lines? Thx!

[GGWP]
Members
7,631 posts
18,281 battles

What have you like playing so far? If you enjoyed cruiser or dds more than the other, then go that way. 

[WAP]
Beta Testers
347 posts

It looks like you're mostly a co-op player in which case I would recommend the Farragut first. Both US cruiser lines are good, but without torps I find them to be less effective in that mode.  Second I would probably get the Pensacola for the guns, and more forgiving environment.  I personally love the Dallas, but less so for co-op.

[WOLFG]
Members
250 posts
4,409 battles

Of 3 three that you just listed, Pensacola would be at the bottom of the list for me. She has many great qualities including 25 mm bow and 10 203 mm guns at tier 6 with improved auto bounce angles but but the thing that really lets her down is her turret traverse which is unacceptable no matter how many upgrades and captain skills you invest into it. That combined with with her massive citadel means that she can be quite uncomfortable to play, even more so if you are a new player such as yourself. This means that you often can't fire back because your trying to maneuver and dodge shells. Dallas by comparison is much easier ship ship to play with her small citadel making landing citadel hits on her a lot harder.

Also as you can probably tell there are massive differences between the two, the Light Cruiser line starting with Dallas is very much sit behind islands and spam he at everything sort of line with relatively short range, floaty shells, good dpm, and fairly average HP and armor schemes but small and difficult to hit citadels. The Heavy Cruiser line starting with Pensacola differs mainly in their guns (slower reloading but harder hitting 203s), worse maneuverability but slightly better HP pools and better structural plating/ armor, they can even bounce some bb shells when angled. I can't really comment on Farragut as I don't play dds. I hope this helps and I wish good luck and fair seas. 

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,195 posts
4,479 battles

Pensacola is also quite strong in operations. If I had to choose I'd go that route. 

I love all three.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Both lines are jack of all trades cruisers with lots of utility tools down the line.

The Dallas begins the modern light cruiser line and is more of the same of what you have worked with by now, but with guns that get faster and faster as you go up the tree. If you enjoy raining shells on your foes, staying under cover and hunting destroyers; this is a line that may appeal to you.

The Pensacola begins the heavy cruiser line. They get further firing range and carry larger guns that allow you to lay the hurt on mostly everything. The guns reload slower so they aren't always the kinds of ship you want to take into a close fight with, but they have a better chance of punching through armor and doing damage. I forget if Pensacola gets the stronger heavy AP though.  

Edited by Yoshiblue

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

All 3 are very solid ships, honestly. And great for teaching characteristics of every line. It really is about what you want to learn.

Dallas: HE spam and island play.

Pensacola: heavy cruisers and ULTIMATE POWEEEEEER at T6.

Farragut: gunboating and stealth, torps for ambush only.

Members
6,329 posts

Pensacola leads to Des Moines, via New Orleans and Baltimore

Dallas leads to Worcester via Helena and Cleveland

Farragut leads to Gearing via Benson and Fletcher.

Pick your route, and have fun.

Members
662 posts
17,964 battles

There’s not too much difference between the cruisers at that tier. They die quick and easy. Dallas fires more often and dodges better, Pepsi hits harder less often and can occasionally bounce shells. 

Farragut is probably the most fun to play of the three, given the BB/DD meta.

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
1 hour ago, Telastyn said:

Farragut is probably the most fun to play of the three, given the BB/DD meta.

And as someone above mentioned, it leads to Fletcher.

• Cool 2

[4_0_4]
Members
291 posts
1,757 battles
2 hours ago, palestreamer said:

I am a newbie player grinding my way up the US line to Tier VI, and I have enough to buy and fully upgrade a Farragut, a Pensacola, or a Dallas. Which would you suggest? I already have the New Mexico, and play Random and Ranked. Is there a noticeable difference between the two US cruiser lines? Thx!

Before you get any of the three, if you plan on playing in randoms with them I would recommend making sure you have a 10 point captain and can take Concealment skill on all 3.  It will stand you in good stead on all 3 lines right up to TX and playing without it in randoms is painful. (Ask me how I know).  That said, my order:

1. Dallas - lots of fun, very maneuverable, leads to Helena, which is easily one of my favorite ships.

2. Farragut - a large upgrade on the Nicholas, which if I’m honest is where I stopped, eventually plan to pick up the US DD line again.

3. Pensacola - Gonna be honest, I hated playing this ship in Randoms.  I did not have a 10 point Captain and it’s detection radius is almost its maximum range.  It gets citadeled from across the map by almost any ship in its tier, nevermind T7 and T8. I will eventually go back and get past it to try to get to Des Moines, but I will always dislike this ship.

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
2 hours ago, palestreamer said:

Yes

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles
3 hours ago, palestreamer said:

After Omaha, Pensacola will be a shock. She's a ship that is fairly agile, with turrets that are not. She hits hard and has fairly decent health.  To get used to her, take her into Scenarios.  For me, Pensie in Raptor Rescue like a comfortable old shoe. A deadly old shoe.  And ultimately, the USN heavy cruiser line is the stronger.

Dallas is less of a change.  Good agility, good turrets, good shells. Her AP at medium to close ranges is very underrated.  Fun, and Helena next.

Farragut I ground in Operation Dynamo which is no longer extant. I recall that I liked her, but that probably doesn't have much relevance to you.

[-AGW-]
Members
97 posts
29,290 battles

DD Farragut guns are 127mm - 4sec reload & 2100 dmg with AP

CL Dallas guns are 152mm - 8.5sec reload & and 3200 dmg with AP

CA Pensacola guns are 203 mm - 15sec reload & 4830 dmg with AP

So, if you like sneaky take the Farragut.

Fast moving duck & weave the Dallas.

Hard hitting, take the Pensacola.

Members
112 posts
3,510 battles

At first i went with both Dallas and Pensacola with the intention of getting to the tier 8's, Pensacola has strong guns but aluminum siding for armor, New Orleans is slightly better and Baltimore is a lot better, i have fun with Baltimore, I'm currently still playing Dallas but i don't enjoy the light cruisers as much as the heavy cruisers, i'll get to Cleveland some day but Dallas puts out a lot of firepower very quickly but she's fragile, you have to play sneaky with her and use islands for cover.

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

Lots of good info in the thread already, so I’ll just say that pick whichever one sounds the most appealing first, but then pick up the others before moving up to tier 7.  Tier 6 is the first time you get to experience the difference between the light and heavy cruiser lines, so play both sides to figure out which you prefer.

Of the ships you listed, Dallas is my favorite, though I think the heavy cruiser line is more capable.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,863 posts

All are equally bad, but I keep the dallas around for ops. She can take a few hits now and then.

But they are not my first choices for human matches.

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
10 hours ago, dechion said:

Pensacola is also quite strong in operations. If I had to choose I'd go that route. 

I love all three.

Yup this. Dallas is okay in ops too, but Pepsicola is stronger.

New Oreleans is a beast in Narai, and Coop too.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,773 battles

Rather than thinking on the next ship, I would recommend trying the tier 10 of each line in next PTS. Try them out and follow the line that you liked the most.

All 3 lines get a very good tier 10.

Worcester line is quite forgiving with no difficult ship past tier 6.

Des Moines has its most difficult ship at Pensacola, as stated before, it's a rather difficult ship to play, it has a lot of good points but also a lot of weak points.

Gearing line is quite comfortable, being Mahan the most difficult to play. From tier 8 and up, the ships are super reliable. Benson, Fletcher and Gearing are really good ships that keep  competitive with all the changes in game.

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
11 hours ago, palestreamer said:

I've got all three (recently welcomed the Farragut, though).

~Farragut has (nearly) "French" DD detection parameters.  She's a decent 'bote, as DD's go.  But she won't win stealth contests versus other certain DD's.  She's capable of ambush & jousting torpedo attacks, until her HP is gone.

~Dallas is a fun "pew pew pew" 'bote.  She's got a nice rate-of-fire and is fun to sail.  She's squishy and fragile, as most light cruisers are.  Doesn't have torpedoes, (which is my primary gripe with several of the USN cruisers).
   Can't go wrong with this 'bote.  She's fun to play and can even survive a match if you're careful about using terrain and detection parameters to your advantage.

~Pensacola is a "heavy cruiser".  Which, means she's a light cruiser with heavy guns installed.  And, as @cheekywarship2018 pointed out, the rate-of-fire and the rate-of-turret-traverse parameters can be a disappointment.
   If this ship is played to her strengths, she might survive a match and score some decent damage totals.  Also, she doesn't have torpedoes.

Of the three of them, I think the Dallas is the most "fun" to play, with Farragut and Pensacola taking 2nd. & 3rd. places in the judging of the contest.

The closest of the three to the New Mexico, in terms of play style, is the Pensacola (except the Pensacola doesn't have the armor to tank anything stronger than butterfly kisses and fluffy pillows).

Good luck in your decision making and in the shopping process.  :-)

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
11 hours ago, Yoshiblue said:

The Dallas begins the modern light cruiser line and is more of the same of what you have worked with by now,   

I have to disagree with that. Omaha is faster, far more slippery, with quite good range for the tier, and torpedoes. 

IMO, you aren't really prepared for either choice by the previous ships. 

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I have to disagree with that. Omaha is faster, far more slippery, with quite good range for the tier, and torpedoes. 

IMO, you aren't really prepared for either choice by the previous ships. 

Ah, my mistake. I remembered it as the replacement that fit the line better instead of not cleveland.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
1 hour ago, Yoshiblue said:

Ah, my mistake. I remembered it as the replacement that fit the line better instead of not cleveland.

To be fair, T6 Cleveland was pretty much the same, except for better AA.

It just seems that Dallas and up, and Balimore and up, really want to be shooting from behind islands. Omaha, at it's tier, has the speed, maneuverability, and gun range, to play open water evasion really well.