Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rusty_Bucket__

Transfer Captain without Retraining

12 comments in this topic

[SWAMP]
Members
641 posts
36,810 battles

I have a question. I want to move a captain from one ship to another without retraining. I realize I can move a captain from one premium to another  without retraining.  I have three bbs where I'm able to transfer captain to all three without retraining. These ships are the Montana, Ohio, and Missouri. I realize two of these are premium. The Montana is not. Honestly, I don't understand how I'm able to avoid retraining. Could I be that this captain, Maurice Harper, was the original Montana captain? I don't know.

So now I have the Vermont. I'd love to transfer a T19 captain on her. I've tried to move Maurice Harper, but I would have to pay a retraining fee. 

Why is it that I can transfer between the Montana, Ohio, and Missouri without retraining, but can't transfer to the Vermont without having to pay for retraining?

I'm sure there's some basic instruction that I'm overlooking.

Thanks, Rusty

• Funny 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,702 posts
6,726 battles
1 minute ago, Rusty_Bucket__ said:

I have a question. I want to move a captain from one ship to another without retraining. I realize I can move a captain from one premium to another  without retraining.  I have three bbs where I'm able to transfer captain to all three without retraining. These ships are the Montana, Ohio, and Missouri. I realize two of these are premium. The Montana is not. Honestly, I don't understand how I'm able to avoid retraining. Could I be that this captain, Maurice Harper, was the original Montana captain? I don't know.

So now I have the Vermont. I'd love to transfer a T19 captain on her. I've tried to move Maurice Harper, but I would have to pay a retraining fee. 

Why is it that I can transfer between the Montana, Ohio, and Missouri without retraining, but can't transfer to the Vermont without having to pay for retraining?

Thanks, Rusty

The ability to use captains without retraining is a feature of premium and special ships.

[SWAMP]
Members
641 posts
36,810 battles

Yes, however the Montana, like the Vermont isn't a premium and special ship.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
8,433 battles

Long story short, even though you are using the captain on the Ohio and Missouri it's still Montana's captain. He didn't become the Ohio or Missouri's captain when you put him in said ships so you don't have to retrain him as he needs no retraining.

Edited by Sinboto
  • Cool 1

Members
4,255 posts
15,003 battles

Your capt. is "assigned" to your Montana (tech tree ship, can only be assigned to 1 at a time). Like Hestrem said, the MO and Ohio are special/premium ships which moving capts on and off is free.

edit:

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

This part in particular is what you are asking.

Moving / Re-training

Once trained to a non-premium ship from the tech-tree, a commander's skills can be used only on that tech-tree ship. (They can be used on premium ships. See below.) Moving to a new tech tree ship requires the commander to re-train to that ship, which is usually accomplished by earning a certain amount of Commander XP in his new ship (see the table to the right). Normal commander training resumes once re-training has been accomplished.

Edited by Rollingonit

[SWAMP]
Members
641 posts
36,810 battles
1 minute ago, Sinboto said:

Long story short, even though you are using the captain on the Ohio and Missouri it's still Montana's captain. He didn't become the Ohio or Missouri's captain when you put him in said ships so you don't have to retrain him as he needs no retraining.

So, I'll need to train up my Vermont captain or pay the training fee. Ok, thanks.

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,495 posts
18,131 battles
24 minutes ago, Rusty_Bucket__ said:

So, I'll need to train up my Vermont captain or pay the training fee. Ok, thanks.

Basic mechanic:

the captain was original assigned to Montana, you can move this captain around to any USA premium/special ship without the penalty. You can then moved him back to the Montana because he was still assigned to the Montana <-- let named this capt A

If you want to do the same to your Vermont captain, you can move the captain who was first assigned to the Vermont and then move them on to any USA premium/special. You can use them to level up this captain and then move him back to the Vermont <-- let named this capt B

If you move capt A to Vermont, you have to pay penalty to re training, because them 2 are tech tree and vice versa, if you move capt B to the Montana, you have to pay for the penalty.

If you move both capts to any USA premium/special ships, you don't have to pay for penalty.

In your current situation, the best course of action is to have 2 captains, 1 for the Montana, 1 for the Vermont, but take the advantage of first win of the day 50% extra. For example, you move your Vermont capt to all USA premium/special and play so you can get the first win, earn the 50% extra, after that moved him back to the Vermont and grind some more battles. This technique was called "lvl up your capt".

• Cool 2

[STW-A]
Members
301 posts
21,300 battles

Not having to retrain the captain after being trained on another ship would actually be quite reasonable.  Example, I have a captain trained for the New York then train him for the Nevada, why should I have to retrain him again for the New York if he was already trained on that ship?  He should then be trained for both ships and I can transfer back and forth without penalty.

Edited by rabidrabit

[SWAMP]
Members
641 posts
36,810 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Basic mechanic:

the captain was original assigned to Montana, you can move this captain around to any USA premium/special ship without the penalty. You can then moved him back to the Montana because he was still assigned to the Montana <-- let named this capt A

If you want to do the same to your Vermont captain, you can move the captain who was first assigned to the Vermont and then move them on to any USA premium/special. You can use them to level up this captain and then move him back to the Vermont <-- let named this capt B

If you move capt A to Vermont, you have to pay penalty to re training, because them 2 are tech tree and vice versa, if you move capt B to the Montana, you have to pay for the penalty.

If you move both capts to any USA premium/special ships, you don't have to pay for penalty.

In your current situation, the best course of action is to have 2 captains, 1 for the Montana, 1 for the Vermont, but take the advantage of first win of the day 50% extra. For example, you move your Vermont capt to all USA premium/special and play so you can get the first win, earn the 50% extra, after that moved him back to the Vermont and grind some more battles. This technique was called "lvl up your capt".

Great idea, I could move him to multiple US BBs Oklahoma, Arizona, Missouri, Georgia, Ohio... Thanks for the great suggestion.

Members
6,329 posts
2 hours ago, Rusty_Bucket__ said:

Thanks, Rusty

Obviously, if you can plop him in Montana w/o a fee, he's Montana's captain.  Missouri and Ohio are premiums/specials, so they don't care, only has to be a US captain.

But, Vermont?  Yeah, there's nothing you have, unless you have Vermont's captain somewhere hidden away, that you can move to it for free.

You cannot move a captain to a tech tree ship for free...unless that captain is already trained for that specific tech tree ship.

[WOLF6]
Members
474 posts
3,719 battles
33 minutes ago, rabidrabit said:

Not having to retrain the captain after being trained on another ship would actually be quite reasonable.  Example, I have a captain trained for the New York then train him for the Nevada, why should I have to retrain him again for the New York if he was already trained on that ship?  He should then be trained for both ships and I can transfer back and forth without penalty.

To prevent hi-tier players from moving their captains back down to T5 and seal clubbing new players without penalty.

Also, it matches reality.  When you retrain from one complex system to another, you typically do not keep currency on the previous system.  This is true in aviation.  Military pilots are rarely qualified on more than one system at a time.  When you cross-train, you lose currency on the previous system fairly quickly, and are no longer "current and qualified".  It works the same for airline pilots; if they switch platforms, they don't keep currency in the previous platform, and can't go back without retraining.

Hover your mouse over the captain while on one of the premiums (or in the reserve).  It will state which ship he is trained on.

Members
4,485 posts
3,255 battles
2 hours ago, rabidrabit said:

Then you would only need one captain ever and keep moving him between ships. That's crazy

Sign in to follow this