You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

AA guns and Secondary guns are quite pretty aren't they?

17 comments in this topic

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
8,433 battles

WOWs happens to be a very pretty game, well that's just my opinion I suppose, but I hold a unique appreciation for the AA and secondary guns. Not sure what it is, maybe it's a combination of things. The way they swivel to get on target, the volume of fire going out, the little explosions. But I almost want to get attacked by planes or get into a brawl in my ships just to see the shells fly. It's just rather nice looking and sounding isn't it?

Edited by Sinboto
  • Cool 5

[SPERG]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,527 posts
13,611 battles

That and I love the welders going to town all over the boat doing repairs.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
223 posts
22,066 battles

I like it too.  Sometimes I notice all the aa batteries are firing in synch, which looks wonky.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
8,433 battles
1 minute ago, Fodder4U said:

That and I love the welders going to town all over the boat doing repairs.

I noticed that recently, looks good.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
8,433 battles
1 minute ago, meatgrindr said:

I like it too.  Sometimes I notice all the aa batteries are firing in synch, which looks wonky.

I tend to use ships that have a mix of battery sizes so I tend not to see this as much.

Members
2,686 posts
4,301 battles

I've always had a weird fascination with tracers in general.  Weird story but the first time I can remember really admiring it was a game called Gundam Crossfire,  where a bunch of air units were attacking a base and ALL the base defenses turned to fire on them.  Needless to say thirteen years later and WoWS has a much prettier version of that.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,515 posts
32 minutes ago, Sinboto said:

WOWs happens to be a very pretty game

I've been interested in firearms and firearms history since I was a little kid. I think one reason I joined the Army was so I could shoot guns that I didn't have access to as a civilian. For some reason, I really like Bofors guns. I never shot one but I've played around traversing one on a museum ship. In the game, I like the way they have animated the 75 mm AA guns. I wish they'd go back and animate all the secondary and AA guns too but I realize it would add a lot of processing needs to the game.

• Cool 2

Members
2,686 posts
4,301 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've been interested in firearms and firearms history since I was a little kid. I think one reason I joined the Army was so I could shoot guns that I didn't have access to as a civilian. For some reason, I really like Bofors guns. I never shot one but I've played around traversing one on a museum ship. In the game, I like the way they have animated the 75 mm AA guns. I wish they'd go back and animate all the secondary and AA guns too but I realize it would add a lot of processing needs to the game.

Dude,  you should try [edited].  Dunno if I am allowed to say that here but eh,  so be it.  The AA fire coming off of Bofors,  especially the rare octuple mount,  is amazing.  

Edit:  BAHAHAHAHA,  I mean I am not surprised the competition is censored but dang,  talk about being insecure,  Wargaming.

Edited by Palladia
  • Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
2,566 posts
7,729 battles
20 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Dont they have alot of them animated now? Or do you mean the recoil?

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles
3 hours ago, Sinboto said:

WOWs happens to be a very pretty game, well that's just my opinion I suppose, but I hold a unique appreciation for the AA and secondary guns. Not sure what it is, maybe it's a combination of things. The way they swivel to get on target, the volume of fire going out, the little explosions. But I almost want to get attacked by planes or get into a brawl in my ships just to see the shells fly. It's just rather nice looking and sounding isn't it?

Pity the secondary and AA guns lost most if not all their effectiveness with skill Rework.

• Thanks 1

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
8,433 battles
10 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Pity the secondary and AA guns lost most if not all their effectiveness with skill Rework.

Don't remind me, my poor odin...

[ARGSY]
Members
2,016 posts
6,268 battles
3 hours ago, Sinboto said:

+1 for something positive.

For all the negatives regarding the attack aircraft's rockets, the gun runs look superb.

[TCWNN]
Beta Testers
115 posts
8,715 battles
2 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Dont they have alot of them animated now? Or do you mean the recoil?

There’s some very low caliber guns that aren’t used in the game but are on the ships 

Members
1,600 posts
2,011 battles
3 hours ago, Palladia said:

Bofors,  especially the rare octuple mount, 

None were ever made, the largest ones were the American quad turrets.

3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I like the way they have animated the 75 mm AA guns.

I don't, it looks like they're fully automatic, which makes me wish they actually were.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,681 posts
13,361 battles
11 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

None were ever made, the largest ones were the American quad turrets.

Incorrect, the Royal Navy had a sextuple 40mm Bofors mount postwar. You can see it on some High tier RN ships in game, it's an absolute monster.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_4cm-56_mk12.php

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,700 posts
26,591 battles

The ship modeling has tended to be very good in this game, and naval wargames tend to be on the mediocre to terrible side in graphics.  Even Steel Ocean, another arcade WWII era navy game that came out for a western release at the same time WoWS went Live in 2015, had graphics that were way worse than WoWS.

The models in WoWS have continuously been updated, improved.  For example, there was a time it wasn't possible for the devs to have catapults on turrets, which was a thing on many old pre-WWII Battleships.  Below is an old image of Arizona when she first released in the game.

c65b8912-3edf-11e6-b9a2-d89d6715223c.jpg

Arizona's sister Pennsylvania is shown below in 1934.  You can see the catapult aircraft launchers on the stern and one of the rear turrets.  The old WoWS AZ model didn't have that catapult launcher for the turret.

1920px-USS_Pennsy_BB-38_1934.jpg

And how she looks like now in the game.

saJ6zWE.jpeg

At launch there were even limitations of AA guns mounted on top of moving turrets, but that was improved on by the devs years ago.  Some ships were missing AA guns that they actually had because of the game engine limitation, but this was fixed because of said improvement.

WoWS has a very weird post-live development history, some of it quite rocky, but visually, the devs in charge of that tend to do very good work.  But every now and then they sh*t out some shoddy work.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles
On 6/21/2021 at 6:53 PM, Sinboto said:

Don't remind me, my poor odin...

My poor fleet, most of my ships were either secondary guns and / or AA and then WG pulled rug out from under me.