Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eviltane

The 10.5 patch has put the game in the best place it has been in for Years.

53 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles

I have to give WG some deserved applause.  As the title says I think the game right now after this last patch is in the single best state it has been in since 2017. 

- Grand Battles are a blast.   I don't even sail around in the big ol BBs. Tried the BBs out a little but in the end  I will just zoom about fighting fellow DDs. 

- Ranked though it didn't come in during this patch. Is arguably better then old iteration. 

- Clan Battles with the current set of restrictions are leading to some varied line ups and clans trying new things. 

Before going on with my list. I know some of say WG needs more game modes. Right now you got:   Randoms, Grand Battles , Ranked, Clan Battles.  Thats 4 pure PVP modes add to that operations and COOP.  For a total of 6 game modes.

- Skillification of rocket planes. Instead of dumb instant shotguns they are now weapons requiring more skill to use and are a bit easier to dodge.   Yeah we had a lot of complaint threads.  But take a hard  and honest look at exactly WHO is complaining there. The ones calling rocket planes "useless"  are almost exclusively (with very few notable exceptions) sub par players. While those who have a proven track record of attempting to learn new mechanics are already out there using rockets on DDs again.   I am also sure WG will do some adjustments to individual CVs that were hit harder then expected.

- I am kinda liking the Hybrids now.  At first I was afraid of what they would do.   But as long as not too many are in a battle its workable.  Its a different thing to be added  and they are not out of control OP weapons.  They can be outplayed

- Air strikes.  While they are not fully here yet, I have experienced a few of them. They are not the end of the world.   However I do think that players who tend to get themselves trapped behind islands will be having issues. Point being: Air strikes can also be outplayed. 

- Auctions. Really the high point for me here is the bulk trading aspect of Silver to Coal. 

- New TK system.  Freeing up my brain cells for battle rather then watching my back. 

In the end Yeah there are things that I don't like in the game right now. Like that operations haven't gotten any updates and in years. Subs coming in might also be a big problem. There are also ships that are OP like Smaland. Also I am sure if I take more time to think there are other things that I don't like.

But in the end WG you guys are doing some real good things this year  so far. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 27
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 8

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles

Conclusion:

WG has taken over @eviltane's account.

j/k

And I will add they are doing it without a monstrous grind event going on.

• Funny 7

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Conclusion:

j/k

LOL.      Yeah you are right there isn't a huge grind fest going on. 

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

LOL.      Yeah you are right there isn't a huge grind fest going on. 

Three periods in a row, and we'll send an HRT.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[D-DAY]
Members
7,126 posts
7 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Conclusion:

j/k

Yep, only conclusion! :cap_hmm:

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
18 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Yep, only conclusion! :cap_hmm:

LOL I was having some genuine fun with the game all weekend. Though my new Marceau in grand battle mode definitely had an impact on that. 

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

The tk removal is a good progress.

Freed up some brain cells for the actual battle problem.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,021 posts
10,383 battles
33 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Grand Battles are a blast.   I don't even sail around in the big ol BBs. Tried the BBs out a little but in the end  I will just zoom about fighting fellow DDs. 

Same. I haven’t even tried big BBs yet, and I don’t think I will. Yoloing in DDs have been a blast, both the enemy DD fighting and torping of big bois (had a game with 23 Somers torp hits last night). Great patch all in all.

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
Just now, xHeavy said:

The tk removal is a good progress.

Freed up some brain cells for the actual battle problem.

OH damn I totally forgot to add that to the list of positives.   I will steal it and edit it into my main post. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,896 posts
10,561 battles

Hmmmm, good points to be made here.  The best place in years may be a bit exaggerated, but I would say this is the first time in a long time that the game has moved in a remotely positive direction.  As it stands though, it isn't enough to make me want to leap back into the game all that much though, nor does it for most of my friends who used to play this even more than me.  I guess you can say the state of the game has ruined my perception to some degree, and a break is needed.  I'll (probably) come back eventually to play some matches eventually.

• Boring 1

Members
665 posts
17,975 battles
Just now, eviltane said:

LOL I was having some genuine fun with the game all weekend. Though my new Marceau in grand battle mode definitely had an impact on that. 

You and maybe a dozen others…

Seriously, if this is the best state the game has been in years, it’s only because of the egregious mismanagement over years.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[KERR]
[KERR]
Beta Testers
310 posts
8,521 battles
29 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I have to give WG some deserved applause.  As the title says I think the game right now after this last patch is in the single best state it has been in since 2017. 

- Grand Battles are a blast.   I don't even sail around in the big ol BBs. Tried the BBs out a little but in the end  I will just zoom about fighting fellow DDs. 

- Ranked though it didn't come in during this patch. Is arguably better then old iteration. 

- Clan Battles with the current set of restrictions are leading to some varied line ups and clans trying new things. 

Before going on with my list. I know some of say WG needs more game modes. Right now you got:   Randoms, Grand Battles , Ranked, Clan Battles.  Thats 4 pure PVP modes add to that operations and COOP.  For a total of 6 game modes.

- Skillification of rocket planes. Instead of dumb instant shotguns they are now weapons requiring more skill to use and are a bit easier to dodge.   Yeah we had a lot of complaint threads.  But take a hard  and honest look at exactly WHO is complaining there. The ones calling rocket planes "useless"  are almost exclusively (with very few notable exceptions) sub par players. While those who have a proven track record of attempting to learn new mechanics are already out there using rockets on DDs again.   I am also sure WG will do some adjustments to individual CVs that were hit harder then expected.

- I am kinda liking the Hybrids now.  At first I was afraid of what they would do.   But as long as not too many are in a battle its workable.  Its a different thing to be added  and they are not out of control OP weapons.  They can be outplayed

- Air strikes.  While they are not fully here yet, I have experienced a few of them. They are not the end of the world.   However I do think that players who tend to get themselves trapped behind islands will be having issues. Point being: Air strikes can also be outplayed. 

- Auctions. Really the high point for me here is the bulk trading aspect of Silver to Coal. 

In the end Yeah there are things that I don't like in the game right now. Like that operations haven't gotten any updates and in years. Subs coming in might also be a big problem. There are also ships that are OP like Smaland. Also I am sure if I take more time to think there are other things that I don't like.

But in the end WG you guys are doing some real good things this year  so far. 

Not sure if there is ANY more "dumb instant shotgun" than the fire and forget skippers at all levels using their torps while ignoring "The Golden Rule" of 10 and 2.  But, as proven many times by Wargaming in the past, short of pulling teeth or another Murmansk/Christmas Crate PR Nightmare, odds are these will be no changes and the haters get what they want.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Rocket change I'm on the fence about. Definitely made them less braindead to use, but I don't think they made them more skill-based, they just made them less effective. The best player in the world can't stop a DD from "Just Dodging" once the strike is locked in, which absolutely reduces their effectiveness. Good players are going to find other ways to harass DDs, but rockets against good DDs is pretty much dead. So yeah, damage focused players who relied on rockets to hit DDs are throwing a fit (I'm finding the whine threads and the responses amusing). But decent players are still spotting which is far more deadly. And those CVs with HE DBs are still whacking DDs. I played Lexington last night. Use the rockets to spot and bother cruisers (8K + fires still isn't fun for a cruiser) and the HE DBs to clobber DDs. Didn't really notice any change in effectiveness. I think IJN CVs are really hurting with no good DD weapons, but US CVs at least don't really care.

Grand Battles just remind how bad most BBs players are. My experience was summed up by watching a Satsuma (remember 510mm guns that don't give a damn about anyone's bow armor) derp HE into broadside targets and Hannovers spam HE from max range. The increased accuracy mechanic is really interesting though.

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Same. I haven’t even tried big BBs yet, and I don’t think I will. Yoloing in DDs have been a blast, both the enemy DD fighting and torping of big bois (had a game with 23 Somers torp hits last night). Great patch all in all.

Haha yeah. On Saturday night we were divving up. My buddy in his  Yolo Emilio and me in Marceau.  The two can work super well together and charge in Emilios smoke screen.  You got a super powerful and fun combo there. The Marceau to eliminate most  DD opposition. Then when you get to a BB either one can yolo torp or they can cross torp.  

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

The best player in the world can't stop a DD from "Just Dodging" once the strike is locked in, which absolutely reduces their effectiveness.

Since you mentioned the best CV player in the world  I thing Elazer has already contradicted that statement this morning. 

• Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[-K-]
8,021 posts
10,383 battles
3 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Haha yeah. On Saturday night we were divving up. My buddy in his  Yolo Emilio and me in Marceau.  The two can work super well together and charge in Emilios smoke screen.  You got a super powerful and fun combo there. The Marceau to eliminate most  DD opposition. Then when you get to a BB either one can yolo torp or they can cross torp.  

There seems to be a lot unicum/bluenicum DD divisions in grand battles that are also just yoloing. My Smaland got wrecked a couple of times yesterday and there was nothing I could do haha. Hyper aggressive plays are a nice change of pace. 

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
27,686 posts
18,264 battles

Its certainly a good update having fun in Grand battles griefing the super BBs in my Vampire II or Henri IV followed by watching a hail of shells from my secondary specced hannover with Lutjens 

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,182 posts
8,126 battles

I'm quite certain all those who main DDs are as happy as they have been in years...   the games become a playground for them and every skilled DD player knows it.  The random match ques are showing this.. I wished I had my screenshots from home right now as it would be relevant..   Never seen as many 5 DD per team matches as I have in the last week.   Multiple times this weekend saw ques with twice as many DDs in them as all other types combined..  Que times are getting longer due to it?   I can't say if its a problem for the game or not? But it's obvious.  

Yes.  I am enjoying Grand Battles as well.    Its been the most fun mode they have added in some time.  Actually found  I enjoy playing BBs again..  Well until you of course run into a Unicum DD group seal-clubbing it..    which so far,  has been pretty rare.. But with lack of radar cruisers or even cruisers period in the mode.. We'll see.   I really wonder if this isn't a test of new ship types/tiers they are fiddling with?  

Edited by iRA6E
spelling
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 3

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

Very much agree with your take 'tane, the game currently feels good.

51 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I think it is important to have always at hand a stats-free game mode to just chill and fool around, Grand Battles are great because they still let you grind your regular ships, unlike Big Hunt or some other chill modes. Usually this would be the niche filled by the new Ranked battles but players still tend to take them "seriously" so there's not much room to just derp around.

55 minutes ago, eviltane said:

I do have an issue with this topic tho. Yes, there are currently 6 game modes but 5 of them are variations on the same arena death match game mode, it's coconuts presented in 5 different ways but it is still coconuts. The only real variant is Operations, and they are stale. I would love something different like the Raid mode Big Hunt, or even an Open World MMO like tho not sure if the game's engine is even able to pull something as different as that.

1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Subs coming in might also be a big problem.

Nah, don't worry, subs will probably be very tame and niche, with a limited traction on the general player base. I'm sure their impact will be far lesser than CV's.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
3,661 posts
7,508 battles
3 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Yes.  I am enjoying Grand Battles as well.    Its been the most fun mode they have added in some time.  Actually found  I enjoy playing BBs again..  Well until you of course run into a Unicum DD group seal-clubbing it..    which so far,  has been pretty rare.. But with lack of radar cruisers or even cruisers period in the mode.. We'll see.   I really wonder if this isn't a test of new ship types/tiers they are fiddling with?  

Yeah you are right cruisers are very much NOT popular in Grand battles.   Most of the time when I tried it on the weeked the Grand Battle queue was something like 120 BB ,  3 CA , 22 DD.   As my clan mate said  well DUH  cruisers are just getting smacked left and right. 

Maybe Grand Battle mode is indicative of the game as a whole. Meaning  you get BBs standing off launching huge shells.  You got DDs who can go dark, hide and are relatively nimble enough not to be deleted by the train engines the BBs are throwing through the air. But there isn't much room for cruisers because overmatch rules them. 

In one of my games yesterday when I did try a Super BB I met @Taichunger  in a T9 kiting cruisers ( I think Roon or Ibuki).  He was kiting me and constantly kept me on fire.   I missed most my shots and did die before he did. BUt when I did hit him it was for Huge amounts.    That just doesn't leave many options for Cruisers. 

[-K-]
8,021 posts
10,383 battles
4 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Yeah you are right cruisers are very much NOT popular in Grand battles.

And when there is one, of course it’s some unicum Worcester that ends up farming 200K damage :cap_rambo:

[CAZA]
560 posts
7,398 battles

I also want to add that tier X became playable, at least for me. No more BBs sitting at 25km trying to make use of their Dead Eye skill, few if any Thunderers taking the fun out of the game... it finally became fun to play again.

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
32 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

The best player in the world can't stop a DD from "Just Dodging"

The best player in the world can't stop another player from dodging shells (given enough flight time) and/or being trolled by RNG, why would it need to be any different for rockets?

22 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Never seen as many 5 DD per team matches as I have in the last week.   

It actually gives me some hope for the Playerbase not being as dumb as it appears to be... if they can recognize the situational competitive advantages between the different ship types, well that's at least something 

27 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

But with lack of radar cruisers or even cruisers period in the mode.. 

Yeah, kinda entertaining being the only cruiser in a match with 5-6 BBs... it can be a lot of fun in a very twisted & masochistic way. I'm using it to train my cruiser survival skills, I'm channeling my inner Muhammad Ali.

21 minutes ago, eviltane said:

That just doesn't leave many options for Cruisers. 

I've been grinding my Brindisi gun upgrade... 15.6K gun range in Grand Battles is hilarious tho the amazing rudder and turning helps a lot. 

[PISD]
Members
1,994 posts
6,542 battles
1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Clan Battles with the current set of restrictions are leading to some varied line ups and clans trying new things. 

while I do like these restriction, I feel like we are growing close to the ''not more than 1 ship from each class per team'' that was proposed a while back. Tho at least the current way force team to try different approach, and makes it more fluid for a few days before a new meta comes in.

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
2 hours ago, eviltane said:

Can I laugh at this?

Prefer the old version, because I could get where I wanted to be (R15,) often in as little as three games.

Sign in to follow this