You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WoWsNewsBot

Naval History in Photos: German Submarine U-505

32 comments in this topic

[DWBG]
Members
197 posts
3 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

Was it necessary to pixilate a historical photograph?

They didn't want to risk a boycott I guess.

• Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
15 minutes ago, michael_zahnle said:

That i dont understand..we all know what the flag looks like. Blanking out is more harmful to history than not.

• Cool 4

Members
2 posts
10,991 battles

It was a thrill to visit that u-boat in Chicago, they have done a great job with the whole display at the Museum.  

• Cool 3

[MSKYR]
Members
63 posts
3,335 battles

Is anyone else having trouble getting these photos to download?   I can't see any of them this morning either in the game or with the browser link.   I'm using a work PC, so maybe there is some filtering causing the trouble.  That's why I'm asking.

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
1 hour ago, WoWsNewsBot said:

Learn more about the story of U-505 from the photos provided by the U.S. Naval Institute!

Read it on the portal

Interesting story.
Thanks for sharing it.

[NAUTY]
Members
637 posts

Cant wait for SUBS, I have done extensive testing..I CANT wait..they are almost ready!

MAke all dive time 10+ min..and they are JUST about there!.

• Meh 1

[TCWNN]
Beta Testers
115 posts
8,632 battles
1 hour ago, Princess_Daystar said:

That i dont understand..we all know what the flag looks like. Blanking out is more harmful to history than not.

“Woke” kids will QQ about evil flag not knowing any history 

• Cool 2

[TF-O7]
Members
60 posts
8,449 battles

I think you need to get the story straight - one of the photographs indicated the U-505 was captured on June 4, 1944 while the next photo indicates she was captured on June 6, 1944. Okay, people, knowing that you've made mistakes in historical facts in the past, which date is correct??

Edited by skeered_o_nothin
mispelling

[F4E-2]
Members
207 posts
12,994 battles
2 hours ago, Adalbert_Schnee said:

It was a thrill to visit that u-boat in Chicago, they have done a great job with the whole display at the Museum.  

The 1st thing that came to mind was just how Small and cramped it is. 

[SSBN]
Beta Testers
12 posts
6,701 battles
2 hours ago, michael_zahnle said:

Yeah, too many people are too offended, its easier and safer just to avoid consequences by doing so. Its easy to say its just history, when it wasn't your entire extended family that was exterminated in concentration camps.  You're never going to convince anyone that did have that happen to them to "get over it", so Nazi flags will continue to get blurred out.

Otherwise, it was a really good set of photographs, I know Bogue class CVEs didn't go fast, but it had to be a challenge towing an extra 1000 tons behind you and still trying to make top speed, let alone be distracting for the pilots landing

• Cool 1

[SSBN]
Beta Testers
12 posts
6,701 battles
21 minutes ago, skeered_o_nothin said:

I think you need to get the story straight - one of the photographs indicated the U-505 was captured on June 4, 1944 while the next photo indicates she was captured on June 6, 1944. Okay, people, knowing that you've made mistakes in historical facts in the past, which date is correct??

A) google is your friend  B) June 4th, 1944...that's right, 2 days before D-Day.

Beta Testers
193 posts
13,710 battles

"Can Do"  was the ships motto of USS Guadalcanal CVE-60 which is referred to in the OP with a photo of the conning tower with the words "Can Do Junior" painted on it.   Captain Gallery eventually made it to the rank of Rear Admiral and also authored a series of books , one of which is called "Clear the Decks" which is all about USS Guadalcanal and the capture of U-505.

Today U-505 is an indoor exhibit . 

505a.thumb.jpg.45ef09be3685bddc3fbebdef02af8255.jpg505b.thumb.jpg.022635477859966ec0c92a989d413afd.jpg505c.thumb.jpg.6e41fc38acaae391fe4bc5db29cae38c.jpg505d.thumb.jpg.886bf34fb9c6e36aab414ba953fcee0b.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
35 minutes ago, capt_jay said:

Yeah, too many people are too offended, its easier and safer just to avoid consequences by doing so. Its easy to say its just history, when it wasn't your entire extended family that was exterminated in concentration camps.  You're never going to convince anyone that did have that happen to them to "get over it", so Nazi flags will continue to get blurred out.

Otherwise, it was a really good set of photographs, I know Bogue class CVEs didn't go fast, but it had to be a challenge towing an extra 1000 tons behind you and still trying to make top speed, let alone be distracting for the pilots landing

I unno, i think one of the most important things when it comes to history, is to be able to admit how wrong someone or a nation was. If people get offended about history, thats a good thing. Historical subjects about wars should offend you, war is offensive and the true nature of it isnt a pretty sight. Washing out a Nazi flag, flying above a captured U-Boat isnt something to be proud of.

I agree though its a good set of photos and its nice they link to the archives so you can find the originals if you wish.

As to towing, it was the most stressful evolution i ever helmed for, we towed a DDG as part of our work ups, very tense, doing that on a CVE while conducting flight operations is even more impressive, and i highly doubt something that would be done today except in emergency situations..

• Cool 1

Members
2 posts
4,222 battles

If you are ever in Chicago, this is a very cool exhibit to go see.  I know they are not doing tours currently but they do hope to start them up again later this summer.

[BTLST]
Members
806 posts
12,547 battles

I was 13 years old when my father drove down to a High Bluff above the Mississippi River just north of Alton Illinois for us to watch the U-505. being towed to Chicago.    The next day we drove over to Beardstown, Illinois and walked out onto the bridge over the Illinois River, along with half the town it seemed, and watched the U -505 being towed up that River to the Chicago River and then into Lake Michigan.    The night they moved the submarine out of Lake Michigan and across the Huge North South drive adjacent to the Lake a drunk driver wrecked his car, hitting a near by tree when he saw the submarine cross the highway.    I'm sure those cops took glee in telling that story for many years afterwards.

[GROVR]
Members
213 posts
12,130 battles

The pixelated German Navy flag is stupid. If someone is offended by it, too bad. If we start bowing to all the idiots out there that are offended by things, every one of those pictures would be completely pixelated. :(

• Cool 2

[MEMO]
Members
6 posts
17,891 battles

Thanks for posting the indoor exhibit photo's

It's a great thing to see at the museum.

[CRF]
Members
1,075 posts
9,380 battles
5 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I unno, i think one of the most important things when it comes to history, is to be able to admit how wrong someone or a nation was. If people get offended about history, thats a good thing. Historical subjects about wars should offend you, war is offensive and the true nature of it isnt a pretty sight. Washing out a Nazi flag, flying above a captured U-Boat isnt something to be proud of.

I agree though its a good set of photos and its nice they link to the archives so you can find the originals if you wish.

As to towing, it was the most stressful evolution i ever helmed for, we towed a DDG as part of our work ups, very tense, doing that on a CVE while conducting flight operations is even more impressive, and i highly doubt something that would be done today except in emergency situations..

Can you imagine coming in for a landing on the CVE and seeing the sub right there???

Beta Testers
45 posts
1,902 battles
8 hours ago, Adalbert_Schnee said:

Seconded, the whole U-505 wing at the Museum of Science and Industry is really top-notch. They have a lot of really awesome artifacts on display, including some Enigma machines, as well.

[MCWF]
Members
47 posts
14,352 battles

it is so sad we live in a time where historical photos have to be blurred out because they (a couple of social media owners) may offend someone. and the worst part of it is that it is less than 1% that would say to pixilate the Nazi flag while the other 99% would understand it to be something from history and it should/needs to be reported as accurately as it happened. if we change everything in history that offends someone then we would have no history. without history how do we see what the people of the time were thinking and how it lead to the events that followed. how do we stop our selves from taking the same bad path's without understanding of history. todays politics have no place in changing the worlds history, the only thing that matters is as much of the truth, and even the "may have happened this way" information to be recorded and presented to all whom care to study and learn about it, and decide for themselves what the truth of it may be.