4 comments in this topic

Members
1,581 posts
2,011 battles

1909482207_Screenshot2021-06-206_09_46PM.thumb.png.ac08d9014f919e001ac582f3cb014a2d.png

This was from the Cars movie universe. In it, a veteran F2G-1 Corsair named Skipper explains why he didn't fly again after Guadalcanal.

Imagine a game where the teams have 10 T10 BBs, a T8 CV, and a T9 DD. Now imagine all the enemy BBs are Yamato-class. Your team has a Lexington.* A squadron of Corsairs comes over an island and runs into every single enemy battleship. That's basically what happened to Skipper's squadron. It's no wonder he had too much PTSD to fly after that. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coA7BzctgpU

Whoever says "it'll be a turkey shoot" was right. If I was one of those Yamatos, I'd be mashing the O key.

*USS Dwight D Flysenhower, which made several actual Navy personnel face-palm. One sailor even recounts breaking his pen upon hearing that.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles
2 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

In it, a veteran F2G-1 Corsair named Skipper explains why he didn't fly again after Guadalcanal.

There weren't any Corsairs at the Battle for Guadalcanal (if "Guadalcanal" is in fact what he said).  They were just entering service and came in later, after the Japanese evacuation and IJN stopped running the Slot.

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/npswapa/extcontent/usmc/pcn-190-003122-00/sec9.htm

But okay.  Disney alternate universe...

• Haha 1

Members
1,581 posts
2,011 battles
32 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

...where Nippon has enough fuel to send 10 Yamatos to the South Pacific :Smile_sceptic:

33 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

(if "Guadalcanal" is in fact what he said).

Probably wasn't "Glendale Canal," like the YouTube subtitles said. On a related note, I once saw a veteran call Tarawa a "fly-infested, stinking, bloody island." 

YouTube: "Why-infested, state game bloody Thailand."

• Haha 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
4 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Where Japan has the material, space, and logistical strength to build, supply, fit, and hide 10 Yamato class battleships, and actually have decent aa fire control.

to be honest, I bet the corsair squadron would have survived if the historic japanese aa fire control was implemented. Heck Yamato bristling with aa guns with her 1945 refit only shot down 10 planes, some of which due to flying too close to the magazine explosion when she sank.:Smile_trollface:

Edited by Boomer625
  • Cool 1