You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cheekywarship2018

Help me decide, De Grasse or Perth?

De Grasse or Perth?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. De Grasse or Perth?

• De Grasse
    • Perth
    • Other

25 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
253 posts
4,439 battles

Greetings people of the forums. I currently am in possession of enough doubloons (which I am proud to say have all been earned for free, no money spent) to purchase either De Grasse or Perth. I have settled on these two as they interest me the most but I'm struggling two decide upon one or the other.  

I am asking for owners of the ship to give their opinions on the ships. Please bear in mind I will be using them in a mix of Randoms and Operations.

I will also start by answering some of the inevitable questions that will arise.

I don't have any other Commonwealth Ships. 

I do have a French captain trainer in the form of Strasbourg. 

I am comfortable pretty much playing all cruisers (I have ground out out every cruiser line to Tier 8). 

I have read LWM's and various other reviews on both ships (though most of them are pretty old and the meta has changed a lot since then). 

I do have a credit earner in the form of Alaska and potentially Agir soon. 

Also if, any of you have any compelling cases for any other ships in price range (5050 D with a coupon) then I will definitely consider them. Though do bear in my mind that I only play Battleships and Cruisers.  

Edited by cheekywarship2018

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,495 posts
18,163 battles

going with your own feeling

think about this: which ship you going to play everyday and most comfortable playing.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
14 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Greetings people of the forums. I currently am in possession of enough doubloons (which I am proud to say have all been earned for, free no money spent) to purchase either De Grasse or Perth. I have settled on these two as they interest me the most but I'm struggling two decide upon one or the other.  

I am asking for owners of the ship to give their opinions on the ships. Please bear in mind I will be using them in a mix of Randoms and Operations.

I will also start by answering some of the inevitable questions that will arise.

I am comfortable pretty much playing all cruisers (I have ground out out every cruiser line to Tier 8). 

I have read LWM's and various other reviews on both ships (though most of them are pretty old and the meta has changed a lot since then). 

Also if, any of you have any compelling cases for any other ships in price range (5050 D with a coupon) then I will definitely consider them. Though do bear in my mind that I only play Battleships and Cruisers.  

I fired at a Perth in my Pensy. 10 shell hits over half were c it and it went boom. Full to 0 best shot ever.

Both are good but you might want to wait unless you like that t.  The French camo is cool.

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles
16 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Greetings people of the forums. I currently am in possession of enough doubloons (which I am proud to say have all been earned for, free no money spent) to purchase either De Grasse or Perth. I have settled on these two as they interest me the most but I'm struggling two decide upon one or the other.  

I don't have the de grasse but have the perth,Perth, graf spee.....Perth is nice with her smoke and float planes.....Graf spee is another to look at if you have good aim.also...only 6 rifles but are 283s....I have a few videos on her....good luck captain...

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,662 posts
24,750 battles

Do you like Operations? Perth is a beast in Aegis with crawling smoke. I enjoy sailing DeGrasse in Raptor Rescue. If you get Perth put on the smoke and hydro special upgrades. Boost for DeGrasse.

They both play like CL. Squishy as heck. It's very easy to get overextended with Perth so you have to keep an exit strategy in mind.

Either one is a good ship. Good luck!

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
194 posts
13,798 battles

If you intend to grind anything the French tech tree , DeGrasse obviously.  you can put any French Commander in it to help with commander XP grinding.

If you do not care about grinding a tree and just want a credit grinder ship that is also a decent fighting ship , Perth is good choice. As far as the commander grinding part , somewhere between meh and good for the commander version of free xp i guess .  Other wise the Commonwealth "tree"  is still not even a sapling yet  , but who knows what the future holds for Commonwealth.

your call and have fun with what ever you pick.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,807 posts
31,136 battles

Perth offers a unique play style.  The downside is that all of the commonwealth ships are premiums, so you can't use her for re-training.

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
9,235 posts
12,588 battles

It depends entirely on how you like to play cruisers, because they play totally differently. Perth is a sneaky, up close smoke crawler, Degrasse is a speed demon spitting flames from long range.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,465 posts

I think you've gotten a lot of good input.  I have both ships, they are both decent ships.  Personally, I'd give the Perth a slight edge since it was smoke and offers a different play style.  That said, the deciding factor should be about which ship you'll get the most use out of.  For me that is Perth since I like playing it in operations a more than De Grasse, and I don't have other French ships for a need of a captain trainer.  You do have French ships so DeGrasse might be a better choice, even if its your second French trainer.

[Y0L0W]
Members
672 posts
21,528 battles
2 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Greetings people of the forums. I currently am in possession of enough doubloons (which I am proud to say have all been earned for free, no money spent) to purchase either De Grasse or Perth. I have settled on these two as they interest me the most but I'm struggling two decide upon one or the other.  

Perth is very similar to a Leander. Imagine a Leander with HE and crawling smoke.

De Grasse is basically a La Galissonniere. Slightly buffed specs (reload, rudder, etc.) but no reload booster. 

Each of their play styles are similar. I’d play a few Leander games and a few La Galissonniere games and see which one you prefer. 

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
560 posts
7,459 battles

I have both and I love De Grasse, I haven't played Perth in ages though. My De Grasse for some odd reason tends to start a lot of fires, but it has serious penetration issues (especially when dealing with same tier BBs, same goes for Perth tho). Plus the range on De Grasse is comfortable.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,710 posts
26,602 battles

Traditionally Perth has been very strong, especially in Ranked, but she has some equally concerning deficiencies.

Example of Perth with a generic 10pt build catered to some of her strengths.

PROS

+ One of the stealthiest CLs in the game.  8.8km surface detection with CE + Camo.  This is important because traditionally, Perth players leverage this to take caps late in games after the DDs have been destroyed.  This is exactly how she makes her money in Ranked.  Whenever Tier VI Ranked has shown up, she has usually been one of the high WR% ships there.  Perth hanging around the edge of the cap requires someone to root her out.  If there isn't a CV or DD to do that, she'll typically easily outspot anyone trying to, and that's where Perth's friends behind her start shelling the f--k out of them.  An intact Perth with her consumables still available late in a match, where the DDs are gone is where she shines at her best.

+ Creeping Smoke is great for both defense and offense.  For one, you're not stationary and inviting an obvious target for torpedoes to swamp your smoke with.  It also lets you shell enemies while shrouded in smoke, and being on the move definitely is safer than sitting stationary in a small smoke pattern like RNCLs do.

+ Good complimentary consumables:  Creeping Smoke + Hydro + Spotting Aircraft really help in Perth doing her job.

+ With her stealth and smoke, Perth is at her best menacing enemy DDs and playing for the caps.

CONS

- AA is an absolute joke, even in the RTS CV days with a better AA system.  If a CV is on you and is keyed on you on a personal level, constantly spotting you negates Perth great advantage of Stealth, placing her in extreme danger from Deletions.

- Speaking of Deletions, Perth is very squishy.  Heavy Cruisers and Battleships will crush you if given the chance.

- Awful gun range, 12.81km when Spotting Aircraft isn't being used.  If so, then it only improves to 15.3km.

- Perth's gameplay is heavily based on her consumable availability.  She is one of those Cruisers that literally lives and dies on her consumables.  The risks, moves you can take depend on if your Smoke and / or Spotting Aircraft are ready to be used.  Trying to harass a BB with 12.81km gun range and no Smoke, no Spotting Aircraft is suicide.  That 216 seconds Spotting Aircraft cooldown is noticeable and is painful when it's not ready and you need it.

====

+/- The very forward play style of Perth is very rewarding, high in match influence, but extremely dangerous.  Very little room for error.

If you are a disciplined player and keep to Perth's strengths, i.e. Stealth + Anti-DD work + Cap Support, and like to play forward, you'll like her.  I emphasize "disciplined" because without her consumables, Perth will be in extreme danger of getting deleted.  If you are the kind of Cruiser player that simply has to keep the guns firing, Perth isn't for you.  She is a Cruiser that plays in a world leaning towards where the Destroyers are.  Sometimes spamming guns is not what you need to do to win.

If you do get her, I highly suggest 2 special upgrades, as pointed out in the Perth fitting tool link at the top of my post.

Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 lengthens the duration of Hydro.  A good thing to get IMO, considering Perth plays forward where the DDs (and torpedoes) like to play at.

Smoke Generator Mod 1 is crucial in improving quality of life on Perth.  It improves the Active time where the generator pumps out smoke, but it penalizes the duration of that smoke.  Because Perth's Smoke is long lasting but short duration Creeping Smoke, this upgrade is pretty much a "Must Have" for her.  You can skip on Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 if you want, but Smoke Gen Mod 1 is needed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[WOLFH]
Members
990 posts
4,804 battles

I have both and enjoy both, so IMO you can’t go wrong with either one.

That being said, I voted Perth since I also value uniqueness. As already said they both have tech tree analogs, but IMO De Grasse is more like the La Galissoniere, than Perth is to Leander, so you’ll get added value in the form of a different experience with Perth.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,148 posts
19,146 battles

The problem with getting Perth is that you really do need a 10 point captain for her - or at the very least six points, so you can take Superintendent for more smoke and hydro charges. The latter isn't hard to do; you just need an extra 900K credits. A 10 pointer is either much more work or 1500 dubs, or have you got the ECXP to push a 6-pointer the rest of the way?

This is the only thing that stops me from recommending Perth without hesitation. If you get the De Grasse, it sounds from reading between the lines that you will likely already have well-trained captains to go in her. 

I got the De Grasse out of one of those Tier 6 containers that the PTS was giving out last year. She's OK, but I wouldn't have given WG money for her and I rarely take her out. Perth I think I bought when she was offered as ship of the day in a half-price sale, but by that time I already either had or was getting close to a 10 point Commonwealth captain, which I'd got when I won Vampire '17 (the Tier 3 Vampire) in late 2007.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles
7 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

CONS

- AA is an absolute joke, even in the RTS CV days with a better AA system.  If a CV is on you and is keyed on you on a personal level, constantly spotting you negates Perth great advantage of Stealth, placing her in extreme danger from Deletions.

Yeb, Huang He took all the AA and it was pretty amazing during the pre-rework era. 

You don't need a strong captain to make De Grasse good. At best the must have skill besides concealment is last stand for that rudder. De Grasse plays differently in that she plays further back but has good speed and rudder to evade incoming fire and stellar reload speeds. Kinda like russian cruisers if you've played them, but you get speed boost and usable torpedoes. Like them she also has fast traveling, low arcing shells allowing for an easier time hitting your targets from up close or further out.  Like Perth the AA isn't great either but has more defensive options to provide AA support. I remember one of her notable features in the past was her troll armor, but i'm not sure if its still the case today with all the armor changes/upgrades and such. 

Perth is more of the opposite where you'll have to be more up close and methodical. Like others have said before, she's a Leander with HE or normal AP shells, but the crawling smoke gives way for more dynamic movement. Such as the interesting reversing in smoke so you can get out and the enemy can't see you (hopefully). The shells are just as floaty and while you can still hit your marks, you have an easier time the closer you are, plus your detection while is smoke is pretty nuts at 4.2km.  

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
11 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Between the two of them, the De Grasse and the Perth ....
~Perth has guns which reload faster, and their turrets rotate quicker, too.
~Perth has 2x4 torpedo armament, compared to De Grasse's 2x3 (and Perth's torpedo warheads do more damage)
~De Grasse is slightly faster.  
~Perth has a better rudder-shift
~Perth has a better concealment rating.

Neither ship has a Repair Party.  So, that's not a deciding factor.  (But British Cruisers do have a Repair Party consumable.  Have you looked at them?)  

Perth is the only ship in her Nation's ship-tree.  The Captain assigned to the Perth can settle-in for a long stay.  (Edit:  Oops.  Forgot about the Mysore.)
De Grasse can train French Captains, if necessary.  Though, you mentioned having the Tier-7 Strasbourg for that role.

Both the De Grasse and the Perth are Tier-6 and can play in Scenario Operations.

As for alternative ships?
Do you have the Mutsu?  I'm fond of sailing the Mutsu in Scenario Operations and she's competent in Co-op and Random battles, too.
Other candidates for consideration?  The London.

So, to give you "my choice" between the De Grasse and the Perth?
The Perth wins, by a slim margin.  

Truth be told, I've not welcomed either ship to my Port.  I've had the Perth as a 24-hour rental.
The De Grasse would be one among several other French ships and I can't personally justify spending the doubloons on either ship, because neither of them have a repair party consumable.
They're both competent ships, but neither is particularly powerful and neither of them has the repair party capability to help them sustain a long fight. 
They're expensive alternatives to their tech-tree counterparts.

I've recently welcomed the Ise to my Port, and feel it is a fun 'bote and a much better bang for my $$.

Good luck in your decision process and have fun shopping.  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[--V--]
Members
1,559 posts
14,504 battles

I find De Grasse to be much more satisfying to play and always have better matches in her than my Perth.  To me, Perth just slogs along.  Slow and less maneuverable.  Smoke is nice, but with such short range guns, only 8 guns and 8 second reload,,,, not enough pew pew for any real damage.

But to each their own.  This is just my experience.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,940 posts
5,063 battles
14 hours ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

The important question is do you play operations? If yes then I would recommend Degrasse from a pure utilitarian/ economical perspective. It will train/advance  your cap(s) along with Strasbourg and once 21 pointer..... it will produce EXCP. 

Perth is in a lonely spot. There is no tech tree respective to the ...nation.

[WOLFG]
Members
253 posts
4,439 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Between the two of them, the De Grasse and the Perth ....
~Perth has guns which reload faster, and their turrets rotate quicker, too.
~Perth has 2x4 torpedo armament, compared to De Grasse's 2x3 (and Perth's torpedo warheads do more damage)
~De Grasse is slightly faster.  
~Perth has a better rudder-shift
~Perth has a better concealment rating.

Neither ship has a Repair Party.  So, that's not a deciding factor.  (But British Cruisers do have a Repair Party consumable.  Have you looked at them?)  

Perth is the only ship in her Nation's ship-tree.  The Captain assigned to the Perth can settle-in for a long stay.
De Grasse can train French Captains, if necessary.  Though, you mentioned having the Tier-7 Strasbourg for that role.

Both the De Grasse and the Perth are Tier-6 and can play in Scenario Operations.

As for alternative ships?
Do you have the Mutsu?  I'm fond of sailing the Mutsu in Scenario Operations and she's competent in Co-op and Random battles, too.
Other candidates for consideration?  The London.

So, to give you "my choice" between the De Grasse and the Perth?
The Perth wins, by a slim margin.  

Truth be told, I've not welcomed either ship to my Port.  I've had the Perth as a 24-hour rental.
The De Grasse would be one among several other French ships and I can't personally justify spending the doubloons on either ship, because neither of them have a repair party consumable.
They're both competent ships, but neither is particularly powerful and neither of them has the repair party capability to help them sustain a long fight. 
They're expensive alternatives to their tech-tree counterparts.

I've recently welcomed the Ise to my Port, and feel it is a fun 'bote and a much better bang for my $$.

Good luck in your decision process and have fun shopping.  :-)

Thank you everyone who has commented on this thread. You have all given me some very interesting and useful insight. Truth be told however, I'm still not 100% sure on which ship to go with and seeing as I'm in absolutely no rush to make my decision I think I'm going to sleep on it for now. 

As for your ship suggestions @wolfswetpaws. I think it'll be an easy pass on both for me. Mutsu to me just doesn't offer any unique and what really let's it down for me is that it is still has the horrible Type 88 Shells which means she comparable pen to Bayern and Prinz Eitel Fredrich, i.e. not very good. I suppose that this would be less of an issue in ops but if I was going get a Tier 6 battleship, Warspite just seems to be straight up better. London was also an easy pass for me, I didn't really enjoy the Devonshire that much and while the smoke London gets is nice, I don't think that it really makes up for all the other deficiencies the ship has compared to her tech tree counter part. 

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
5 minutes ago, cheekywarship2018 said:

Thank you everyone who has commented on this thread. You have all given me some very interesting and useful insight. Truth be told however, I'm still not 100% sure on which ship to go with and seeing as I'm in absolutely no rush to make my decision I think I'm going to sleep on it for now. 

As for your ship suggestions @wolfswetpaws. I think it'll be an easy pass on both for me. Mutsu to me just doesn't offer any unique and what really let's it down for me is that it is still has the horrible Type 88 Shells which means she comparable pen to Bayern and Prinz Eitel Fredrich, i.e. not very good. I suppose that this would be less of an issue in ops but if I was going get a Tier 6 battleship, Warspite just seems to be straight up better. London was also an easy pass for me, I didn't really enjoy the Devonshire that much and while the smoke London gets is nice, I don't think that it really makes up for all the other deficiencies the ship has compared to her tech tree counter part. 

No worries.
They're your doubloons.  Spend 'em however you want.  :-)

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,704 posts
19,424 battles

I have both ships and for me the Perth has more usefulness so works better in randoms and ranked. It has a creeping smoke screen which is quite useful for capping and spotting, since it also has a spotter plane, decent torpedoes, hydro, and excellent concealment for a cruiser. With HE rounds even when uptiered she has a role to play and overall is a great ship. 

The De Grasse on the other hand seems like the unwanted step child since I rarely see her in battle. But she's a great ship in her own right. I typically play her as a kiter as she's extremely fragile and takes citadels from some really odd angles. Her rate of fire is excellent though and she feels like quite the fire starter. It's a ship I really enjoy playing and for me is the more fun of the two. 

Regardless, either ship would be great additions so good luck with your choice!

Members
76 posts
17,017 battles

Jolly_Rodgered is correct in his analysis.

Perth is a more versatile ship but the De Grasse is faster and has higher rate of fire and can delete DDs fast with that rate of fire.  Both ships are citadel magnets so just be aware that you will take some BIG HITS if you get caught out in the open.

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

De Grasse being french has much more utility as a captain trainer. Tho if you have other enjoyable French premiums, its utility diminishes. 

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles
17 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

De Grasse being french has much more utility as a captain trainer. Tho if you have other enjoyable French premiums, its utility diminishes. 

Well you could slap the captain in both ships and get that double 50-200% daily exp bonus.