You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyrom

How to Research Bureau with Free XP if you don't have complete line

26 comments in this topic

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
383 posts
10,298 battles

If you have all existent ship lines researched and bought, this is not for you :)

So, most players have some line/nation they are playing, grinding. For example, I am at IJN dd Tier 7 Shiratsuyu:

image.thumb.png.afe2d689a239c13e313e0fb42542c41f.png

The entire line of ships costs around 600-700k free XP. So, when you have that much, and there is a 2x bonus for line reset, we can do the maneuver:
We free Xp to the TX ship (in this case, Harugumo), reset the line, then Free XP back to the ship we were at, the Shiratsuyu:

image.thumb.png.9669f2b08e137b9ba6478c017ce204d2.png

This way, we will not get the Research Points instantly, we will keep playing the ship we were playing before, just now the next ships to come (in my case, Aki, Kita, and Haru) are already imbued with the research points that I will get when 1st buy and use them.

The benefits of this approach are:
1) you don't skip any ship, you play the line normally.
2) you can do this maneuver at any time. For example, when the 2X reset bonus is about to expire.
3) you don't have to have the line researched to TX.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
48 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

when the 2X reset bonus is about to expire.

I think I know what you mean, that the end of the season approaches.  But just to be sure, once a 2x is earned, it never expires.  You can play the ships next year and still get it.

Interesting concept.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Research_Bureau

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
383 posts
10,298 battles
2 hours ago, iDuckman said:

I think I know what you mean, that the end of the season approaches.  But just to be sure, once a 2x is earned, it never expires.  You can play the ships next year and still get it.

Exactly, so if the season is ending, and you have no TX line to reset but have some free XP, you use the free XP to do as I said, and the ships will be imbued with the 2x research points "forever" until you research them.

[OIL-1]
[OIL-1]
Members
1,911 posts

I had a similar idea.
When you reset a line, you have tons of ship xp on tier 1 from all the events, so tier 2 is free.
I tried to play the low tier ships since it's easier now, but to be honest, it's much easier
just to FXP those ships.
Then I thought, ok, what line has good Tier 7-8-9 ships that I can just grind again?
The answer was, none. For starters, almost all of the lines have bad T9 ships.
Currently, I'm thinking about using boosters to play thru the upper tier ships, since
I have plenty, and when you do it that way, half of the xp goes to the ship directly,
so you could level the ships quicker and save the FXP as well.
But that's as far as I've gotten. Need to spend more time on it.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,807 posts
31,136 battles
13 minutes ago, crazyrom said:

Exactly, so if the season is ending, and you have no TX line to reset but have some free XP, you use the free XP to do as I said, and the ships will be imbued with the 2x research points "forever" until you research them.

Unless you gained access to the RB through some other means (e.g. Dockyard,) you need to have researched at least 5 tech tree tier ten ships.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
26 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

Unless you gained access to the RB through some other means (e.g. Dockyard,) you need to have researched at least 5 tech tree tier ten ships.

Oh yeah.  Good point.  You still need to have 5x T10 unlocked to reset anything. Access to the RB isn't enough.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
242 posts
13,881 battles
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:
9 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

Oh yeah.  Good point.  You still need to have 5x T10 unlocked to reset anything. Access to the RB isn't enough.

From the wiki:

"Any player with five (5) unlocked tech tree Tier X ships automatically qualifies for the Research Bureau. Obtaining Research Points in other ways, e.g. through Daily Missions or Dockyard events, also qualifies the player for the Research Bureau"

If I'm reading that correctly, getting research points from dailies will do the trick

[CO-OP]
Members
3,807 posts
31,136 battles
2 minutes ago, Abbye said:

From the wiki:

"Any player with five (5) unlocked tech tree Tier X ships automatically qualifies for the Research Bureau. Obtaining Research Points in other ways, e.g. through Daily Missions or Dockyard events, also qualifies the player for the Research Bureau"

If I'm reading that correctly, getting research points from dailies will do the trick

You won't actually get any RPs from the daily mission until you unlock the RB.  You would still need to somehow unlock the RB (either having 5x tier-10 tech tree ships, or gain access via Dockyard or similar event.) 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
11 minutes ago, Abbye said:

What trick?  Ah, see below.

5 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

You won't actually get any RPs from the daily mission until you unlock the RB.

You're right! I hadn't noticed. I believe they were briefly offered without qualification.  I detect a slight addition to the wiki in the offing.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
383 posts
10,298 battles
18 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

True, BUT:
1) maybe I don't want to reset them because I need them to play Clan Battles, ranked, etc.
2) I already reset some of them (in my case, both US BB lines), not grinded back to TX yet, and don't want to reset other ships because 1), but the 2x bonus is about to expire and I have FreeXP with nothing to buy.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
383 posts
10,298 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

What trick? 

There is 1 trick. If you buy extra stages at dockyard, finish the ship and get it, and THEN complete some dockyard stage missions, in that case sometimes they pay you steel and RB points. Not sure about current ZF-6 dockyard, but pretty sure people did this with Hizen, those RB points unlock the Bureau.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,703 posts
6,746 battles
19 hours ago, z9_ said:

Then I thought, ok, what line has good Tier 7-8-9 ships that I can just grind again?
The answer was, none. For starters, almost all of the lines have bad T9 ships.

IJN gunboat line and Royal Navy DDs both seem pretty strong through this tier range, a little weak at Tier VII, but that is the least important of those tiers.  Kitakaze and Jutland are very powerful at Tier IX.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

those RB points unlock the Bureau.

They do.  But not for resetting lines.  The requirements for that are independent of access.  Unlocking the RB does give you access to RP in the Daily Missions, but you're not going to buy a ship with those -- at least not for a long while.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
333 posts
4,967 battles

What about Iowa? Buffed Izumo? Tashkent? Fletcher? Roon seemed pretty good, to me anyways. 

Members
6,329 posts
On 6/21/2021 at 12:23 AM, iDuckman said:

Actually, not really accurate.

I had broken into Research from the Hizen dockyard previously.  Gave me 10K points for free, and I had bought a few flags, etc.

But, I didn't have any T10 tech tree ships.  After looking at this, I tried it out. 

I had a ton of free xp lying around, so I bought the 'rest' of two lines.  It let me reset them both, even though that was only the two T10 tech tree ships I had.  Note, you don't have to buy them, just research them.  I still have not had a T10 tech tree ship in my port...

Gave me something to work for, and I was working on the Epochs of the Navy campaign anyway.  I had gotten bored working up the trees in the 'wide' mode, working on all the trees at once.

EDIT: I had enough fxp to have bought to the top of five lines if I had needed to...but I didn't.

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
4 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I had a ton of free xp lying around, so I bought the 'rest' of two lines.  It let me reset them both, even though that was only the two T10 tech tree ships I had.  Note, you don't have to buy them, just research them.  I still have not had a T10 tech tree ship in my port...

No one ever said that you had to have 5 T10s in your Port.  They just have to be unlocked.  Did you have five unlocked?

If you didn't and it still allowed you to reset, than that is news.

Pics would be good, btw.

Edited by iDuckman

[BTLST]
Members
305 posts
7,137 battles
57 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

No one ever said that you had to have 5 T10s in your Port.  They just have to be unlocked.  Did you have five unlocked?

If you didn't and it still allowed you to reset, than that is news.

Pics would be good, btw.

Do you need to have all the ships in the lower tiers unlocked? E.g. right now you can get the Colorado from a mission, which is great, because it would allow me to stop playing the New York to unlock the New Mexico and just carry on from the Colorado. But I'm wondering, if there still is a necessity to unlock the NM anyway...

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
3 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Do you need to have all the ships in the lower tiers unlocked? E.g. right now you can get the Colorado from a mission, which is great, because it would allow me to stop playing the New York to unlock the New Mexico and just carry on from the Colorado. But I'm wondering, if there still is a necessity to unlock the NM anyway...

From the literal reading of the rules, no. But New Mexico can be great fun, although it might be worth skipping to test the situation.

[BTLST]
Members
305 posts
7,137 battles
11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

From the literal reading of the rules, no. But New Mexico can be great fun, although it might be worth skipping to test the situation.

Well, I don't find the New York to be particularly fun, too sluggish for me. Perhaps that's why I've drifted to cruiser play. So testing this out won't exactly be a priority. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
6,329 posts
36 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Yeah, I reset the US BB line w/o ever doing Colorado.  I had gotten NC from some mission, with all modules, so I just FXP'ed Iowa, 1 module, Montana.

Also I had gotten the UK CL line to Emerald, but had gotten Edinburgh with all modules from something I don't remember, so I FXP'ed Neptune, 1 module, Minotaur, and I have never had Leander or Fiji unlocked.

It was an experiment, and the lower ships I reset were ones that were some of the first ships I ever messed around with when I started playing in 2016 or 2017, so I don't mind playing them again as 'fresh ships'.

And, no, that was the point.  I had only the two T10s unlocked that I just mentioned, and it let me.\

I do have five T10 special ships plus the two super BBs, but no tech tree T10s.

image.png.d48955401f375f8155ee9b612d82d0ce.pngimage.png.cd1d7ef69ce0e622f385e446de43caff.png

Edited by Kesh_Lives

Members
6,329 posts
16 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Well, I don't find the New York to be particularly fun, too sluggish for me. Perhaps that's why I've drifted to cruiser play. So testing this out won't exactly be a priority. :Smile_teethhappy:

Just remember that NC is a complete different ship than NY, NM, CO.  NC was built as a fast BB, 28 knots, and most of Iowa's extra displacement is so she can do 33 knots.
And, yeah, it sucks that the old US BBs are so slow, especially when they gave the old KM BBs about 3 or 4 knots speed that they never had, and T4/T5 IJN are a pair of battlecruisers, one modernized, the other not, so there's plenty of speed to be had there.  But, there are other BB lines that are slow down there, too.  That's how they were...

[BTLST]
Members
305 posts
7,137 battles
1 hour ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Just remember that NC is a complete different ship than NY, NM, CO.  NC was built as a fast BB, 28 knots, and most of Iowa's extra displacement is so she can do 33 knots.

That's the thing that gets me so excited about getting the Colorado. It's a much shorter way to the NC, even though I might be a while before I get to playing the line.

1 hour ago, Kesh_Lives said:

But, there are other BB lines that are slow down there, too.  That's how they were...

I suppose there is a reason why I gravitated toward playing cruisers. :Smile_teethhappy:

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
On 6/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, Kesh_Lives said:

I had only the two T10s unlocked that I just mentioned, and it let me.\

I do have five T10 special ships plus the two super BBs, but no tech tree T10s.

So what was it, two or none?

Members
6,329 posts
34 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

So what was it, two or none?

I free-xp'ed two T10s, with no other tech tree T10s researched...and reset those lines.  At no time did I purchase (with silver) either of the T10 ships.  I had no T10 tech tree ships in my port or researched until that time.  Before doing that, the highest tech tree ships researched were Edinburgh and NC, both with ships missing before them, as I had gotten the T8s from missions at some point, no specific memory of when.

I did have five special ships (Smolensk, Salem, Puerto Rico, Thunderer, Yoshino), again, no tech tree T10s.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles
3 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I free-xp'ed two T10s, with no other tech tree T10s researched...and reset those lines.  At no time did I purchase (with silver) either of the T10 ships.  I had no T10 tech tree ships in my port or researched until that time.  Before doing that, the highest tech tree ships researched were Edinburgh and NC, both with ships missing before them, as I had gotten the T8s from missions at some point, no specific memory of when.

I did have five special ships (Smolensk, Salem, Puerto Rico, Thunderer, Yoshino), again, no tech tree T10s.

This is contrary to what we've explicitly been told.  Escalated.