You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

New steel ship - Suggestions needed

25 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
1,045 posts
10,820 battles

So, I have saved up enough steel to buy a ship with the coupon we just got. However, I don't know which one.

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

FDR (I don't play CVs, so I don't know why I would get this)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles

Which one fits closest to your regular playstyle? A T10 steel ship purchase is a big thing, make sure that what you get is something that you'd enjoy. We can't tell you that, we don't know that.

[DAS]
Members
1,045 posts
10,820 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Which one fits closest to your regular playstyle? A T10 steel ship purchase is a big thing, make sure that what you get is something that you'd enjoy. We can't tell you that, we don't know that.

I play basically all nations and types of ships, minus CVs. Regarding playstyle; I play what the ship requires, basically.

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles

Well.

Plymouth and Austin are incredibly soft.

For austin, do you enjoy playing Atlanta/Flint?

Shikishama is a faster reloading, more accurate yamato from what i understand with a meme like sound on her main batteries, and better AA/Secondaries.

[DAS]
Members
1,045 posts
10,820 battles
8 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Well.

Plymouth and Austin are incredibly soft.

For austin, do you enjoy playing Atlanta/Flint?

Shikishama is a faster reloading, more accurate yamato from what i understand with a meme like sound on her main batteries, and better AA/Secondaries.

I do like the Atlanta, but I haven't played it much recently because the lack of range is a serious problem when uptiered (this may have been fixed recently in an update.

I don't have the Yamato and the Shiki seems to be almost the same, just bigger guns that don't really make a difference. Maybe I am missing something.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,698 posts
6,719 battles

What type of ship do you like to play?

Flanking and actively repositioning BB?  Get Bourgogne.

Sniping BB? Get Shikishima.

RN CL?  Plymouth if you want.

Unique ship?  Austin.

CA/CL or DD?  Hold on to the steel.

• Cool 1

[NYAAR]
Members
2,918 posts
15,587 battles
55 minutes ago, epojokke said:

So, I have saved up enough steel to buy a ship with the coupon we just got. However, I don't know which one.

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

I haven't seen any Plymouths.

I have seen several Austins, and also deleted a few.

The Current state of CVs makes FDR a huge negative.

For me it was between Shikishima and Bourgogne, and as I had more fun with the IJN, I went with Shikishima and have not regretted it

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

Ive seen a few plys hiding behind he rock being a potato becuase they are too squishy and shoot too slowly.

I bought the Bourgogne last week and am very pleased with her. She has the same armor as the JBB and can produce very good games. Key word. Can. Which means not always.

Fast enough almost 40 knots to be played like a cruiser. Accurate enough to delete DD's

The speed boost upgrade gives about 4 minutes and change at 40 knots roughly, plenty of time to get anywhere on the map.

Most importantly, if you shoot and land AP rounds on a Yammy's forward hull just aft and below it's B turret you can crit the heck out of it. Kaboom no more Yamato and the usual Salty wth from that player.

Finally people do not account for your rapid fire. Essentially three complete reloads against their one.

Only bad thing? You are so fast with acceleration boost etc that your teammate dd's are too slow going to obj, you scrape along them as you pass.

Edited by xHeavy

[SCK]
Members
199 posts
25,321 battles

The Bourg is one of the top BBs in the game. It has the highest avg damage and WR of any T10 BB. That's what you need to take. Napoli is suppose to be announced soon and that's where I'm at. Napoli, Shiki, or Austin. I dont consider the plymouth to really be a choice here. It seems light years behind the rest. 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles

I had my heart set on Plymouth, then I watched this:

Now I'm not saying it's holy writ put forth by God, but I'd certainly put it into the "Worthy of Consideration" bracket. 

More to the point, Tiger '59 filled my need for a smoke/radar ship to kill bots with (and she was built in steel to boot), so grabbing Plymouth the instant I had the steel and coupon for her was no longer such a big thing. I'm sitting on my hands till Christmas and re-assessing how much steel I have then and what can be bought with it. I would advise you to do the same unless you are absolutely, positively CERTAIN about what you want to get with it and EXACTLY WHY you want that particular ship. 

• Cool 1

[ENDO]
Members
233 posts
5,892 battles

Similar position. Shiki, Bourgogne, and Austin are the only current steel ships I would consider. 

So I'm just sitting on my steel. Napoli looks like something I would enjoy a lot, but it's resource is unknown. I may just keep sitting on my steel incase something gets announced as being removed or something.

[AXANR]
[AXANR]
Members
12 posts
18,942 battles

Adding onto this topic, I have the Burgy, and LOVE HER! Now, I was looking at the Plymouth because of how much fun I have with Belfast/Fiji/Edi/Albemarle and Goliath. 

But, I don't have the Stalingrad.

Now, I know the description says she is NOT a good boat for in close work. That's where I do my best work, between 6k and 11k. 

So, should I get the Stalingrad or wait for November for any new announcements (coupons renew on 14DEC2021). 

Also, any idea if @LittleWhiteMouse will get to review the Plymouth and if she thinks Stalingrad is still a good buy for steel??

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,909 posts
11,072 battles
2 hours ago, NavyStore said:

Also, any idea if @LittleWhiteMouse will get to review the Plymouth and if she thinks Stalingrad is still a good buy for steel??

Steel ships are very low priority for my reviews.  I try and focus on stuff that Wargaming asks cash-money for.

• Cool 2

[_TLC_]
Members
125 posts
18,853 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 2:10 PM, epojokke said:

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

I know the feeling! In my case it was really between Burger and Shiki. Can't really go wrong with either but I chose Burger

Unless you really love RN CL's and situational US DD hunter then. quite the dilemma 

I would just go with the one you've been drooling over most and try for the others later. Enjoy! A new ship is always welcome 'eh

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, epojokke said:

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

I have the Austin and she is pretty hard to play if you are inexperienced.  She is hard even with experience.  But, when all the planets align and the sun shining on a dog's [edited], she is just awesome, AND you will get someone "triggered".  The last two times I had her out I just shadowed a fellow Yamato because there was CVs in the game.  Pffftt....they kept coming at the Yammie, and I kept shooting them down.  Both times the CV player complained that the Austin is OP.....hehe.  AA Expert award both times.  Don't be fooled though, one wrong turn and you will be deleted quickly.  

[U_U]
Members
57 posts
12,395 battles

I'm a very new player (PvP, I used to play PvE almost exclusively until Feb. 2021)

And I got Bourgogne as my first (and only) steel ship.

I would say based on my experience that Bourgogne is very easy to get used to (basically what French BBs do best plus more) and has a ridiculously high ceiling in damage output. It's almost very mobile so playing in it wouldn't be boring as you won't be sitting anywhere. It's fun, at least to me (despite only having a couple of matches in it)

As for FDR, it's literally the only T10 (or near T10) CV in game (Other CVs don't even match). In theory it's got a very high ceiling too, but I wouldn't count on you enjoying it if you don't play it as often.

Shikishima is basically a 510 version of Yamato.

I think from some youtuber's comments (to name one, PotatoQuality) steel ships are supposed to offer some exclusive experience. I for one agree with that. I'd say you should pick between Bourgogne and FDR, and given you don't play CV, Bourgogne is the better option.

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 10:10 AM, epojokke said:

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

Oh, I didn't mention that I also have the FDR, and she is difficult for me to play even though I do above average in CVs.  The planes are too slow, too long of a wait time in between attacks, and you can easily loose all of your planes if you make bad attack decisions.  It doesn't matter at tier 10 if your aircraft have the highest HP if you slowly fly amongst enemy enemy ships with good AA that will shred you if you can't get away fast enough, and you can't.   Unless something else comes up that gets my attention for steel, my next steel purchase will be the Plymouth.

[AXANR]
[AXANR]
Members
12 posts
18,942 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Steel ships are very low priority for my reviews.  I try and focus on stuff that Wargaming asks cash-money for.

And we appreciate all you do for us, @LittleWhiteMouse! I'll just hold on for now, see how Plymouth pans out in the forums.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 1:10 PM, epojokke said:

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

My first response is Bourgogne.  But I think Austin could keep you entertained longer, with a higher skill floor.  Not that like Atlanta.  More like Flint on steroids.

Shikishima seems too like Yamato to be that interesting, though the 510s going off are enough to make you laugh in their own right.

1. Bourgogne - best risk/reward bet
  2. Austin - high risk, high payout
  3. Shikishima - solid. Too solid.
  4. ? Plymouth I don't know much about
Edited by iDuckman

[USMC-]
Members
375 posts
9,657 battles

I realize this wasn’t on the OP’s list but I got the Stalingrad a few weeks ago and feel it is absolutely awesome. Overpens are almost non-existent and as along as I keep an eye on position I can tank a lot. Loss of fire prevention and length of fires is not too bad either as long as I am careful of when to DC. Glad I got it over Bologna.

[FEM]
[FEM]
Members
85 posts
194 battles
16 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Bold of you to assume people don't pay cash for steel. *sad whale noises*

[TNP66]
[TNP66]
Beta Testers
2,414 posts
6,238 battles
On 7/5/2021 at 3:27 PM, Lexmechanic_ said:

Bold of you to assume people don't pay cash for steel. *sad whale noises*

The steel campaign was a long time ago. Can you elaborate a bit more on this “cash for steel.”?

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,397 posts
4,771 battles
On 6/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, epojokke said:

My options:

Austin

Bourgogne

Shikishima

Plymouth

You mean there's other steel ships apart from Shikishima?
I can't really suggest what you should get since I am tunnel visioned on Shikishima lol

~Hunter

[FEM]
[FEM]
Members
85 posts
194 battles
7 hours ago, landedkiller said:

The steel campaign was a long time ago. Can you elaborate a bit more on this “cash for steel.”?

Almost every Dockyard thus far rewarded people with steel for every phase completed after whaling it with doubloons.