You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kevlarburrito

The Gearing's guns...

10 comments in this topic

[FFG30]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,300 battles

Has anyone heard anything about the Gearing ever getting a rework or at least having its guns brought up to par with newer ships? Maybe I'm just not using it right... there's more than a fair chance that's the case really, but they seem pretty underwhelming despite its description stating otherwise.

It almost seems like the Fletcher and the Gearing need to switch places on the tier system...almost....

Anyway, just curious if there's been any word on it. Every other one of the original nations seem to be getting their destroyers reworked or otherwise added to.

[LSNB]
Members
251 posts
7,851 battles

Well, it has a mere 2k lower base HE DPM than Daring, and no one says Dari g is a slouch when it comes to guns, so all I can say is that the terrible ballistics may be hindering you from using them to their fullest. 

Don't blame you though, the 5"/38s have some of the worst ballistics of any DD guns. 

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,144 battles
2 hours ago, Kevlarburrito said:

Has anyone heard anything about the Gearing ever getting a rework or at least having its guns brought up to par with newer ships? Maybe I'm just not using it right... there's more than a fair chance that's the case really, but they seem pretty underwhelming despite its description stating otherwise.

It almost seems like the Fletcher and the Gearing need to switch places on the tier system...almost....

Anyway, just curious if there's been any word on it. Every other one of the original nations seem to be getting their destroyers reworked or otherwise added to.

1 hour ago, dagger1013 said:

Well, it has a mere 2k lower base HE DPM than Daring, and no one says Dari g is a slouch when it comes to guns, so all I can say is that the terrible ballistics may be hindering you from using them to their fullest. 

Don't blame you though, the 5"/38s have some of the worst ballistics of any DD guns. 

But the option of 16km torps puts you way outside the longest radar detection ranges...&...if you get a Double Strike with Halsey in it...

It gets better detection (5.31) than the Kagero sisters (5.4 something)...the best detection in T8 & above...&...

If you have the UU on at the same time...it gets down to 5.04km...although the UU by itself only gets you to just worse than the Shima.

Summary... it's got pretty danged good guns still despite the many that might have better guns nowadays...but can double as a torp boat that not many gunboats can do.

Still a jack of all trades.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,113 posts
13,531 battles

The terrible ballistics make long range engagements against destroyers meh, but at medium to close range, Gearing can usually toe to toe with any DD it can see. A properly angled Gearing can definitely give  a Smaland a run for its money due to the thicker belt armor.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,451 posts
14,437 battles

Gearing's issue is not her guns. She need her 3D model corrected. She's too fat and sits way higher in the water than the real ship.

Members
2,185 posts
6,543 battles

The guns reflect the characteristics of the guns the ship was built with little tweaks here and there. There is no bring up to par as to other ships some are good some not.

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Very different boats.

You could say they're both hybrid, and it'd be true. But Gearing has a lot more torpedo potential, and daring has somewhat more gun potential.

I play Gearing as a torpedo boat, with only MAAS as concession to guns. I play Daring as a gunboat, with only the slot 3 Upgrade as concession to tordpedoes.

I much prefer Gearing. I loved Fletcher and Jutland equally. But I feel at T10, Gearing is better than Daring. I'm not one to say 'OMG MY OPINION IS SO EDGY!!111oNe!" but in this case it does seem counter to the meta. I'm not stupid enough to fail to realize it's just because I'm a bad player :D There's nothing wrong with Daring and in good hands (e.g. not mine) it could be a fearsome DD Hunter.

But for now, I find Gearing to just be easier to get my hands around.

I prefer Fletcher/Jutland over Gearing/Daring overall though. T9 meta, matchmaking, and boats are just better tier-for-tier.

[FFG30]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,300 battles
7 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Gearing or Daring? Gearing seems stupidly powercrept.

Gearing

and yes, it does.

[FFG30]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,300 battles
10 hours ago, chewonit said:

Gearing's issue is not her guns. She need her 3D model corrected. She's too fat and sits way higher in the water than the real ship.

I dunno...her guns feel nerfy

As for the model, totally agree