You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

You know what ruins this game?

81 comments in this topic

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,933 battles

Been doing a lot of thinking about this game. What I love is the ships, learning the history of the ships, learning the various armor schemes. The models look fantastic, the business WG, shady as they get but they do have a product I have cared about for 5 years. I don't mind spending money and time on it despite WG tripping over themselves to make the next buck. 

So there's all the good and somewhat sketchy on it. 

But man it is the players that ruin the game.

I don't care if I get flamed for this really, I have to say it because I find it more true every day I play:

The players ruin this game, and 9 times out of 10 I loathe my teammates ( not including clan mates obviously )

Players in random make you want to rip your hair out. Even if you division you have 9 possible morons on your team which you cannot always carry.

Players in rank are toxic as can be making every match stressful and unfun.

COOP doesn't pay well enough to matter for me ( that's just my opinion )

Clan Battles are fun but tiring.

Honestly, I had the most fun with the sprint 1v1 or 3v3 but we never get those anymore. I want to have more fun with this game but the more I need to play with the player base the less inclined I am to keep playing. That's frustrating and i needed to vent.

Flame on.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 23
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 3

Members
6,329 posts

I've learned to not let the people in the forum drag me down.

Also, I play the game for the parts I enjoy, and try to ignore the parts I don't.  

I also tend to ignore the 'competitive' players having fits about how people play in Randoms.  Note that only some do this...

If you want games with known good players on both sides, that's what CB is for.  Any other time, you'll just have to deal with what you draw.  If you can't handle that, don't play.  Having a hissy-fit because you drew a bunch of potatoes is just another two-year-old with a temper tantrum.

(Last line not aimed at OP or anyone in particular.)

• Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,631 posts
18,313 battles

While I don't understand my team mates a lot of time and get heated occasionally, I try to be indifferent and realize I can only do so much. The mentality you have to get in is adapting your play style around your team mates. If they are doing something stupid, figure out how you can exploit that. Find the cracks and patch them on your team. Find the cracks and widen them on their team. That's the secret to winning in this game, figuring out what everyone is doing and adapting to it, there is not a single strategy that you can adapt to, it is fluid every game. 

Sometimes you'll be shaking your head wondering how you team threw it, other times laughing uproariously at how you pulled out a win. 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 7

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,933 battles
5 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

While I don't understand my team mates a lot of time and get heated, I try to be indifferent and realize I can only do so much. The mentality you have to get in is adapting your play style around your team mates. If they are doing something stupid, figure out how you can exploit that. Find the cracks and patch them on your team. Find the cracks and widen them on their team. That's the secret to winning in this game, figuring out what everyone is doing and adapting to it, there is not a single strategy that you can adapt to, it is fluid every game. 

Sometimes you'll be shaking your head wondering how you team threw it, other times laughing uproariously at how you pulled out a win. 

Yes, this is all very true.

Especially the last part. That's probably what keeps me coming back.

Thanks for the words.

[GGWP]
Members
7,631 posts
18,313 battles
2 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

Yes, this is all very true.

Especially the last part. That's probably what keeps me coming back.

Thanks for the words.

If you want one to laugh and shake your head at, skip to the Buffalo at the end of this game I had last night.  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1060831734

• Cool 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,933 battles
37 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Also, I play the game for the parts I enjoy, and try to ignore the parts I don't.  

I also tend to ignore the 'competitive' players having fits about how people play in Randoms.  Note that only some do this...

If you want games with known good players on both sides, that's what CB is for.  Any other time, you'll just have to deal with what you draw.  If you can't handle that, don't play.  Having a hissy-fit because you drew a bunch of potatoes is just another two-year-old with a temper tantrum.

Ironically I don't mind the forum people. Whenever I've run into any it's always been positive. 

In fact that's part of the fun for me is meeting people I talk to on the forums in the game.

37 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I believe I covered this part when I said I play Clan Battles and enjoy those but find them rather exhausting.

Also, I do believe people have a right to get annoyed when they are trying to improve their win rate but end up with tons of potatoes. There's a line between coming in and having fun and then being a detriment to your team. Hence the venting in the thread and trying to keep it as constructive as possible.

I appreciate the feedback.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[TDRB]
Members
5,387 posts
13,743 battles
1 minute ago, xalmgrey said:

Also, I do believe people have a right to get annoyed when they are trying to improve their win rate but end up with tons of potatoes. There's a line between coming in and having fun and then being a detriment to your team. Hence the venting in the thread and trying to keep it as constructive as possible.

You have the right to get annoyed for whatever reason you wish. But you need to understand in random battles two 12 men teams are NOT! facing off. You have up to 12 individual players on each side trying to win the battle.

Members
0 posts
7 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

You have the right to get annoyed for whatever reason you wish. But you need to understand in random battles two 12 men teams are NOT! facing off. You have up to 12 individual players on each side trying to win the battle.

Not necessarily even trying to win, sometimes they're just trying to destress and have some fun.  Personally I don't care about my Winrate or winning the battle, what I do try to do every time is work to support my team in achieving victory.  This may not be conducive to my personal stats being the best or improving but it gives me a sense of fulfillment when my team does achieve victory even if I'm at the bottom of the XP list.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

Members
6,329 posts
34 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

You can be unhappy about whatever you want, but expecting *any* randomly filled queue, whether that's random or ranked, to match any kind of standards, is fooling yourself.  This isn't <X> league in Starcraft, where you play matches to see where you fit, and if you win (or lose) too much you move to a different league.

No, you just get tossed in a match with 7 or 12 other people who may or may not be trying to reach a goal in a compatible way.  And you'll just have to deal with it.  Rage all you want, but don't expect many of us to do anything but roll our eyes at your antics.  It's called Randoms for a reason, and while Ranked is nominally competitive, it's not built to have competitive teams  It's a climb to the top after seeing how many potatoes you have to fry/stomp/chop to get there.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,933 battles
13 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

I've heard randoms sometimes described as 1 VS 23. I think there's some truth to that.:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[KSE]
Members
92 posts
17,090 battles
1 hour ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Although I agree with you to a point...

However, how are you going to claim that you do what you want, play how you want, that it is all for your enjoyment while ignoring the parts you don't enjoy AND then tell others how they should play, where they should play and if they can't handle it they shouldnt play??? 

Members
6,329 posts
5 minutes ago, Spaardacus said:

Although I agree with you to a point...

However, how are you going to claim that you do what you want, play how you want, that it is all for your enjoyment while ignoring the parts you don't enjoy AND then tell others how they should play, where they should play and if they can't handle it they shouldnt play??? 

WG makes those decisions on what is allowed and what isn't allowed in game mode <X> or <Y>.  We, the players, do not.  

If you are expecting people to play a certain way, according to what you want, you are making up rules that are not supported by the game itself, and that is doomed to fail.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with them, or find/make a better game *for you*.

i.e. you just basically asked me "Who the hell are you to decide" and I tossed it back to you.  Neither of us get to decide.  WG decides.  You can like it, or hate it.  Play, or leave.

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Cool 1

Members
0 posts
26 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

WG makes those decisions on what is allowed and what isn't allowed in game mode <X> or <Y>.  We, the players, do not.  

If you are expecting people to play a certain way, according to what you want, you are making up rules that are not supported by the game itself, and that is doomed to fail.

If you have a problem with that, take it up with them, or find/make a better game *for you*.

i.e. you just basically asked me "Who the hell are you to decide" and I tossed it back to you.  Neither of us get to decide.  WG decides.  You can like it, or hate it.  Play, or leave.

Precisely, I tailor my expectations as much as possible to fit within what the game rules/systems establish.  I can try to implement change to those systems by posting my thoughts and feelings but expecting my thoughts and feelings to have any sort of meaningful impact on those changes becoming reality is a fools errand.

Edited by catloverjerrygarcia1979

Members
795 posts
10,278 battles
2 hours ago, catloverjerrygarcia1979 said:

Personally I don't care about my Winrate or winning the battle, what I do try to do every time is work to support my team in achieving victory. 

Say what?

Reading that sentence made my head hurt, don't you see that you are contradicting yourself?

That said I like your handle, long-time deadhead. Cats under the stars!

• Thanks 1

[OGG]
Members
14 posts
1,846 battles

What really helps if you get that one player with the experience calling out calls. BB hiding in the back to move up, defend the base, calling out certain boats to flank at a certain grid, ect, ect, ect. 

Some of you nice folks have so many battles under your belt, everyone clearly sees why the veteran/ full time players get annoyed. Some of us are still working on aiming and learning what not to do as battle tactics the hard way. I'm pretty sure everyone ques in with the notion of winning the match, it is the skill levels of the match making that is the painful part. I get annoyed sometimes and I'm a baby skipper compared to most. 

In short, if you good players see stupid going on, calling out calls are usually welcomed by the rest. I know you have some who are like "I know best" and not everyone will listen and respond in a positive tone. Matches with good team coms always seem to pull off a win. Just my personal thoughts.  

Members
229 posts
71 battles

War Gaming?

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[BSC]
[BSC]
Members
90 posts
10,605 battles

Just ignore the trolls

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
6 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

The players ruin this game, Players in random make you want to rip your hair out. Even if you division you have 9 possible morons on your team which you cannot always carry.

….

Players in rank are toxic as can be making every match stressful and unfun

Co-op doesn’t pay well enough…

Clan Battles are fun but tiring.….

Sounds like you have a dilemma 

But remember, you’re a player, too.

Members
12,615 posts
14,320 battles
23 minutes ago, Pebcac said:

War Gaming?

So true!

I often have suspected they have multiple teams of developers working on projects for each game to keep up the pace of content releases. And at least one of said teams knows what they are doing for the game as they are well thought out and designed. Meanwhile one or more of the teams are pretty much totally clueless and release absolutely disasters of content releases onto the game. If you look closely at the content releasing over long term you will see the differences in quality and junk content which strongly suggests my theory is correct. Only way we could get brilliant content and then suddenly get content where dev team seems like they have little to no grasp on what they are doing.

Noticed same thing with world of tanks blitz only they have larger number of competent developers over there as disasters have been less common or else quickly rectified. Possibly because those battles are quick enough for dev teams to actually spare time to play a few battles here and there. WOWs pc it’s understandable that some of dev team would not be able to find time to actually play the game.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,604 posts
10,993 battles

Long-term, I could imagine game improving if, in order to get to T8 and above, you need to have average base XP, previous 50 battles in Random, of at least 1000, with at least 4 being 1200+ base XP. Also, average damage must not be below 50,000.

That said, not all F2P playerbase care to realize their potential. No helping it.

That is why I make it a point to abandon stupid teammates. Not gonna face half the enemy team in my DD while you island hump--I'd rather survive. You wanna throw a fit? See if I care.

• Cool 1

[BCN]
Members
5 posts
5,044 battles
7 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

The business WG, shady as they get but they do have a product I have cared about for 5 years. I don't mind spending money and time on it despite WG tripping over themselves to make the next buck. 

This is what really ruins the game for me and why I've essentially quit until they get their crap together (so i'll probably never come back lol), they always say to just make issues known on the forum so they can look at that feedback and change, but by now that just seems like a meaningless line read from a script.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,413 posts
25,197 battles
7 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Been doing a lot of thinking about this game. What I love is the ships, learning the history of the ships, learning the various armor schemes. The models look fantastic The business WG, shady as they get but they do have a product I have cared about for 5 years. I don't mind spending money and time on it despite WG tripping over themselves to make the next buck. 

So there's all the good and somewhat sketchy on it. 

But man it is the players that ruin the game.

Honestly, I had the most fun with the sprint 1v1 or 3v3 but we never get those anymore. I want to have more fun with this game but the more I need to play with the player base the less inclined I am to keep playing. That's frustrating and i needed to vent.

There is a thread in another game's Forum from about four years ago that says almost the same thing....  Back then, this other game was very popular; had an international competitive mode of pro-players; many of us were in Large clans and played almost every night; and, they have yearly conventions !  It was sooooo fun and cool.

Then, they had a Skill Tree Change, just like ours....  And a lot of Clans simply left that great game en masse.  So, that corporation decided that 1x1 was really what the competitive players wanted and created a mode of play from the Single Player Story line previous renditions of the franchise had called Solaris.....  A coliseum, 1x1 event that all of the "pro players" and Super Unicums (I like the term "Barney's better") wanted.    Guess what happened?  The very people whom wanted that level of competition left the game so fast, you could hear the sonic boom internationally.......  Why?  Because 1x1 exposes you to the reality of "just how good you really are" and that, can be a bitter pill if you have spent a fortune becoming a Barney, only to find it really was "everyone else" in the Clan that made you Purple ("we're a happy fam-il-y....." the song goes...)

This isn't aimed at you, it's just that no game is perfect when there are teams;.........and, the game above imploded and now is but a shell of what it was.......so sad.

• Cool 1