You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
16inchYeetCannon

Spotted Ships "Appearing?"

7 comments in this topic

[OHGEE]
Members
17 posts
1,402 battles

I'm guessing it's been asked before but a search for "spot distance smoke" or "spotted first smoke" wasn't exactly informative.  Apparently, the word "smoke" is in every post...

So here's the question:  I'm in a T6 Farragut, sitting in smoke.  A Scharnhorst decides to charge me.  I wasn't firing (nothing to see) so spotting should have been 2km.  I got spotted and started taking fire from another ship.  A number of seconds later, the Scharnhorst "materialized" in the smoke, but he was at 1.8km...

Why didn't I see him at 2km?  Even if CE works in smoke - which I haven't seen anywhere, though 0.2 is 10% of 2km - *my* Commander had CE.  So why did I get spotted first?  (And no, there were no aircraft in that game.)

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Did someone radar or hydro you? That would get you spotted.

As for the 0.2km difference that's the 2km hard spot but by the time the ship rendered he was at 1.8km. Nothing reduces the proximity detection.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,922 posts
15,680 battles

I agree, it had to be Hydro or Radar......

Unless you fired your main guns while in smoke, then the Scharnhorst could have been close enough to see you via gun fire.

Supertester
4,266 posts
4,646 battles
17 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Did someone radar or hydro you? That would get you spotted.

As for the 0.2km difference that's the 2km hard spot but by the time the ship rendered he was at 1.8km. Nothing reduces the proximity detection.

Important to know what the spotted symbol looked like

[OHGEE]
Members
17 posts
1,402 battles

Appreciate the comments so far.  I my memory, I got the regular yellow exclamation.  Done a lot of Ranked today, so I'm not sure which one it was...

I can see a delay while *I* looked for him and he went from 2 to 1.8, but that didn't happen since I was setting up a torp shot as he rounded an island.  He came around sooner than I expected, so I popped smoke and was watching him charge me as the smoke took effect.  A "delay in rendering" surprises me, but it would explain why I always get "spotted" first before I see the enemy - even though I've got reasonably low viz for the tier.

[OHGEE]
Members
17 posts
1,402 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Unless you fired your main guns while in smoke, then the Scharnhorst could have been close enough to see you via gun fire.

Found the replay.  Turns out I fired right after I smoked, and just before I lost him.  Apparently, the viz timer hadn't counted down before he got within 2.8 hence me being spotted.

He still doesn't materialize until 1.8 though.  I killed him anyhow, but was trying to figure out the "delay."

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,113 posts
13,531 battles

The 2.0km hard spot will try and draw the enemy vessel as fast as possible, but there is a phase-in effect that shows the ship coming into view gradually rather than an abrupt appearance.