You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Will The Bourgogne Ever Be Available For Coal Too?

48 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles

What the title says.  Neutrashimy and Flint availability were changed to the coal currency.  Black was brought beyond the steel curtain and promised to be available to coal also.  Bourgogne has been behind the steel curtain since December of 2018 (a few months after Stalingrad).  WG keeps putting more and more ships behind the steel curtain, and I can currently accumulate enough steel to get one of those ships about once a year with the coupon.  I passed over the Bourgogne for the Austin this time and I have my eye on the Plymouth as my next purchase.  One of my deciding factors is that the Bourgogne has been sitting behind the steel curtain for a while and I would hate to spend precious steel on a ship only to see it available for coal a few months later.  I know there are quite a few players out there that have already been burned by purchasing the Neutrashima or Flint for steel......It takes me a long time to accumulate steel, so I don't want to be burned in that fashion.  

I do want the Bourgogne though as I have heard nothing but good things about her, and I have figured out how to play high tier French BBs.  

[DVYJC]
Members
4,427 posts
11,860 battles

Well, if Napoli isn't released for steel, then I'll buy Bourgogne for steel, and the next day it'll be announced that it's going to be a coal ship.

• Haha 3

[UNHLY]
Members
5,219 posts
14,636 battles

Pretty unlikely in my opinion. Neustrashimy/Black/Flint were swapped because they weren’t popular picks, since they competed for the same limited currency against t10s that had a lot more competitive use. How long they were available had no real bearing on that swap, at least officially. 

As Bourgogne is a) a popular steel pick (to the point of being one of the most recommended by far); b) a t10 that’s therefore usable in most comp modes/seasons; and c) a pretty strong ship in the hands of decent+ players, it’s doubtful WG will swap it to coal. Will it be pulled eventually? Almost certainly, especially since it meets the criteria of being both strong and a very popular pick (although not to the extent of ships like Smol or Mass before they got pulled). But if/when that happens, I would be extremely shocked if that announcement is accompanied by one saying it will return for coal. 

Banned
1,684 posts

I just bought the Flint for coal and enjoying in Co-Op.

I used steel for the final payout to get the flint.

The Steel Curtain is to far of a reach for me at 20 steel per day.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
13 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I used steel for the final payout to get the flint.

The Steel Curtain is to far of a reach for me at 20 steel per day.

And it will stay that way, as long as you keep paying steel to finish off the purchase of coal ships.

• Cool 4

[FOXY]
Members
2,572 posts
7,766 battles
8 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

And it will stay that way, as long as you keep paying steel to finish off the purchase of coal ships.

Truth.

Ive never spent steel on coal, and im 1k shy of getting my first steel ship.

Banned
1,684 posts
20 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Coal is what I collect on a bigger basis The steel helps me with 10 to 1 The time it would take me to obtain enough steel to buy a ship would put me in my 80's Life is too short to save a commodity that is so rare makes it not worth the wait.

The steel curtain has fallen to coal enough for me to not consider trying to obtain other than the trade off.

[VORTX]
Members
689 posts
8,890 battles
4 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Coal is what I collect on a bigger basis The steel helps me with 10 to 1 The time it would take me to obtain enough steel to buy a ship would put me in my 80's Life is too short to save a commodity that is so rare makes it not worth the wait.

The steel curtain has fallen to coal enough for me to not consider trying to obtain other than the trade off.

I’m with you. Two years to save for a t10 steel ship? Bugger off. I’ll grab a T10 coal every six months or less. If I focused on more CB, I could see saving for steel, but I play maybe a dozen of those a month, tops. 

[USN]
Members
1,712 posts
21,739 battles

Flint/Black/Neustrashimy were turned into coal ships (Black still awaiting her return) as they were not popular picks considering they were T9 DDs and a T7 Atlanta with smoke that Father Time hasn't been all that kind too competing in a steel world of Stalingrads, Bourgognes, and Somers that have far greater use for competitive play seeing most clan and ranked seasons take place at T10.

I have extreme doubts Bourgogne (or any T10 steel ships) would be turned into coal, with possible exceptions of maybe (a very big maybe) Shittyshima and Plymouth, as they are more or less weaker versions of Mino and Yamato, while the others are upgrades or unique side grades of their silver cousins.

[FOXY]
Members
2,572 posts
7,766 battles
1 minute ago, tfcas119 said:

Flint/Black/Neustrashimy were turned into coal ships (Black still awaiting her return) as they were not popular picks considering they were T9 DDs and a T7 Atlanta with smoke that Father Time hasn't been all that kind too competing in a steel world of Stalingrads, Bourgognes, and Somers that have far greater use for competitive play seeing most clan and ranked seasons take place at T10.

I have extreme doubts Bourgogne (or any T10 steel ships) would be turned into coal, with possible exceptions of maybe (a very big maybe) Shittyshima and Plymouth, as they are more or less weaker versions of Mino and Yamato, while the others are upgrades or unique side grades of their silver cousins.

Shoot if they drop Shikashima to a coal ship id buy her day 1, and then id buy Austin instantly.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,703 posts
6,746 battles
9 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Shikishima seems to out perform Yamato, FYI.  I know you like to use that term for her, but given her popularity and performance it is unlikely she will be sold for coal.

Yes, I've watched Flambass play Shikishima as he says how much he hates it.  As far as I can tell he is either intentionally aiming badly or subconsciously aiming badly with it. 

What you get with Shikishima is accuracy that is slightly better than Legendary Upgrade Yamato, significantly better rate of fire than Legendary Upgrade Yamato, significantly better AA (10 flak makes a difference, Des Moines only gets 5 for example), better per shell damage and slightly better penetration and overmatch.  Yamato gets number of shells thrown down range and higher maximum alpha strike potential.

Edited by Helstrem

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
2 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

The time it would take me to obtain enough steel to buy a ship would put me in my 80's Life is too short to save a commodity that is so rare makes it not worth the wait.

So, you are in your late 70’s, then?

I bought  FDR in January, and will have enough steel for Bourgogne in one week. Haven’t played a clan battle in over two years,  Got the steel with a diet of Randoms, Co-op, and Ranked. Did get some additional steel via snowflakes and a dockyard (Hizen?) event.

[FOXY]
Members
2,572 posts
7,766 battles
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I bought  FDR in January, and will have enough steel for Bourgogne in one week. Haven’t played a clan battle in over two years,  Got the steel with a diet of Randoms, Co-op, and Ranked. Did get some additional steel via snowflakes and a dockyard (Hizen?) event.

Remove ranked, and replace it with buying out the dockyards for Anchorage, Hizen, and ZF-6. Give me another dockyard please..need more steel.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
41 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Truth.

Ive never spent steel on coal, and im 1k shy of getting my first steel ship.

What will it be?

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
22 minutes ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

I’m with you. Two years to save for a t10 steel ship? Bugger off. I’ll grab a T10 coal every six months or less. If I focused on more CB, I could see saving for steel, but I play maybe a dozen of those a month, tops. 

What ever is the best value for you.

• Cool 2

[FOXY]
Members
2,572 posts
7,766 battles
1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

What will it be?

Honestly im torn between Shika, and Austin.

Ill probably wait for awhile and see if they pull the Shika in the next few patches.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
1 minute ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Ill probably wait for awhile and see if they pull the Shika in the next few patches.

Good plan.

Banned
1,684 posts
49 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I play Co-Op and Operations I don't like playing other players seems I am on a SALT FREE Diet.

So 20 steel from dailies is all I expect.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,922 posts
15,680 battles
2 hours ago, db4100 said:

What the title says.  Neutrashimy and Flint availability were changed to the coal currency.  Black was brought beyond the steel curtain and promised to be available to coal also.  Bourgogne has been behind the steel curtain since December of 2018 (a few months after Stalingrad).  WG keeps putting more and more ships behind the steel curtain, and I can currently accumulate enough steel to get one of those ships about once a year with the coupon.  I passed over the Bourgogne for the Austin this time and I have my eye on the Plymouth as my next purchase.  One of my deciding factors is that the Bourgogne has been sitting behind the steel curtain for a while and I would hate to spend precious steel on a ship only to see it available for coal a few months later.  I know there are quite a few players out there that have already been burned by purchasing the Neutrashima or Flint for steel......It takes me a long time to accumulate steel, so I don't want to be burned in that fashion.  

I do want the Bourgogne though as I have heard nothing but good things about her, and I have figured out how to play high tier French BBs.  

magic-8-ball.jpg

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
2 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

I play Co-Op and Operations I don't like playing other players seems I am on a SALT FREE Diet.

So 20 steel from dailies is all I expect.

Really, it’s not that bad.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,219 posts
14,636 battles
1 hour ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I was torn between those two for my last purchase as well on the 16th (using the December coupon on the last day as has become my norm lately).

Initially I was leaning slightly more toward Shiki since I don’t have Yamato or any plan in the near future to grind out any of the IJN BBs (now that I’ve switched my focus more toward cruisers and soon destroyers). Having Shiki would therefore give me both the BIG BOOM! (tm) gun sound and a ship that would fill the Yamato sniper/32mm overmatch role in my port.

I ultimately went with Austin though, since it was by far the more unique of the two, with Shiki potentially becoming my next steel ship (pending other future steel ships and removals). Since it is somewhat like Yamato, if Shiki ever did get pulled before I have the steel to buy it, the option to grind Yamato is still there. Of course, since it isn’t a huge change from Yamato, I don’t expect it will get pulled any time soon when ships like Stalingrad and Bourgogne are older, more popular, and much more different from their tech tree counterpart. Now, FDR on the other hand... that’s a steel ship I expect to get pulled eventually. 

[BUOY]
Members
1,426 posts
17,273 battles
4 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Pretty unlikely in my opinion. Neustrashimy/Black/Flint were swapped because they weren’t popular picks, since they competed for the same limited currency against t10s that had a lot more competitive use. How long they were available had no real bearing on that swap, at least officially. 

Black / Flint were pulled because they were 'too cheap' and because the Black was 'OP' to boot, hence why it didn't return with the Neustra and Flint.

Neustrashimy was pulled for being unpopular.

Bourgogne is popular, thus it probably won't ever be available for anything other than steel.

Edited by lloyd1701

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
2 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Remove ranked, and replace it with buying out the dockyards for Anchorage, Hizen, and ZF-6. Give me another dockyard please..need more steel.

ZF-6 dockyard had no steel. I might have sunk doubloons into it, if there were. Not enough for the ship, mind you, but enough for the steel.

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles
6 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

ZF-6 dockyard had no steel. I might have sunk doubloons into it, if there were. Not enough for the ship, mind you, but enough for the steel.

ZF-6 dockyard event did have steel