You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Are CVs worth taking to T10?

17 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

I am not sure whether to spend the time and energy required to get CV lines to T10. I have taken the USN line to T8, and the other lines to T6. My experience with the USN line is that the bombs can't ever hit, the torps are garbage and near useless, and the rockets are no longer worth using. German CVs struggle to do any damage except to very specific targets, and have no versatility, or ability to reliably break modules and start fires. HMS CVs struggle to do anything except for fire damage. I find that IJN CVs are over-specialized for dealing with large warships, and struggle to hurt lightly armored or maneuverable targets. What is your opinion?

Members
91 posts
3,815 battles

I think it is up to you, for some people it is worth going to T10. If you’re like me who magically does worse at specifically t10, probably not. Which do you like most? For me it would be the HMS ones because carpet bombing is super safe and has access to sharp turns during a torpedo attack.

• Cool 1

[ANKER]
Members
20 posts
9,768 battles

The IJN line is the most meta hence it being banned in this season of clan wars. The Bombs are far more reliable then the german ones. The torps are your primary weapon, with a good amount of practice you can even strike DDs with them. Past that the USN line is the easiest to use. If your struggling to use the USN line I would recommend watching some videos and practicing more. Each line has gimmicks and one of the USN lines gimmicks is that the bombs are very maneuverable in their attack run allowing you to nearly always line up a decent drop.

[-N-]
Beta Testers
268 posts
6,811 battles

I wouldn't bother.

One of he most frustrating things about leveling a T8 CV to T10 is getting in T9 matches, and T9 ships have alot better AA compared to T8s.

I lost count of the number of times an ALASKA or Friesland or JB just ate my entire squad, but midgame you are just out of planes and cant do anything.

This is worse if you get into a T10 game on a T8 CV... it has happened to me before, and all i did that game was spot since all of my planes died in first 5 minute.

Members
671 posts
18,002 battles

Do you really want 4 more snowflakes to achieve during holiday season? Then yes! Absolutely grind those lines!

Otherwise, no. I disagree with your assessment of the lines, but T10 doesn’t magically change things. It’s just a highly unpleasant AA and RNG festival. You’ll lose half your flight, no matter what you do. And while you’ll probably rack up 100k reliably, it’s all dink and dunk garbage time damage.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles

The only line I see worth grinding now to tier 10 would be the Soviet CV line balans comrade :Smile_trollface:

[-TKS-]
Members
1,161 posts
9,250 battles

Do not, I repeat, do not tech to tier 10 if you are not averaging solid numbers in tier 6-8. Not only are you not going to have a good time, you'll usually end up losing credits.

Get a solid grasp of playing them, then get Midway. It's the jack of all trades. 

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles
1 hour ago, Igiby100 said:

I am not sure whether to spend the time and energy required to get CV lines to T10. I have taken the USN line to T8, and the other lines to T6. My experience with the USN line is that the bombs can't ever hit, the torps are garbage and near useless, and the rockets are no longer worth using. German CVs struggle to do any damage except to very specific targets, and have no versatility, or ability to reliably break modules and start fires. HMS CVs struggle to do anything except for fire damage. I find that IJN CVs are over-specialized for dealing with large warships, and struggle to hurt lightly armored or maneuverable targets. What is your opinion?

I have resetted my USN CV line numerous times, and the IJN CV line once.  I am currently grinding out the USN CV again for more RPs.  My biggest gripe about tier 10 CVs is that once you finally get one.....yay.....you will still end up with a "stock" tier 10 ship that needs over 100,000 more XP to make it competitive at tier 10.  The upgraded tier 8 aircraft are better than the stock tier 10 aircraft, which makes for a crappy experience at tier 10.  This is the only class of ships at tier 10 that you need to spend over 100,000 XP for upgrading to make it competitive.  I don't know why WG does this other than to screw over CV players......

1686802085_moreCVxp.thumb.jpg.0ab585ee1066dc2c46d4b3d84eda52d6.jpg

Edited by db4100

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
7,290 battles
1 hour ago, Igiby100 said:

In the current meta I would recommend against it.  You're better off spending your time on a DD line.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
2 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

I am not sure whether to spend the time and energy required to get CV lines to T10.

I enjoy playing the Midway much more than I did the Lexington. Although the Lexington was OK, the Midway is just all around the more fun carrier to play. I'd recommend saving up doubloons to buy a permacamo though as it's expensive to operate.

Practice it in the training room until you are proficient. The Midway's dive bombs are its best weapons and the only one's that can hit DDs consistently since rockets have been nerfed. The "secret" to dive bombs is to know how to use the WASD keys and mouse to "spin" the reticle until it lies over the long axis of the target before releasing the bombs. A couple of hours in the Training Room practicing dive bomber runs will really pay off in the long run.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,345 posts
8,308 battles
5 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

The grind doesnt end at T10 for CV's, you still need to grind out another 100k XP or so to get all 3 final aircraft.

Unlike every other T10 ship which is fully upgraded when you purchase it.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
19 hours ago, LuckyStarFan said:

In the current meta I would recommend against it.  You're better off spending your time on a DD line.

Why do you say DD and not an HE-spamming CL? Burning everything to death seems like a lot more fun that getting radar killed in the first 5 minutes of a match.

[TF-64]
Members
578 posts
21,050 battles

I have the ports to keep everything from T6 up (probably T5 if I really wanted) so if you're like me just play the T8s and keep 'em after you earn 'em. Otherwise that's just a personal choice on whether you enjoy that level or not. 

[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
21 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Tier-10 is filled with ships that can one-shot each other with a single salvo, often from the other side of a map.
Except that CV's cannot do that.  It usually requires multiple attacks to attempt to sink an opposing ship.

I've welcomed the Hakuryu to my Port.  I like her.

And, Tier-10 is the "peak".  There is no Tier-11 (at least, not yet).  
There are no scenario operations beyond Tier-7.  It's Co-op, or Random or "mode of the WG/WOWs event of the game update cycle", and that's pretty much it.

Tier-10 ships do allow one to earn more credits or cause more damage or farm more XP faster, in order to satisfy daily mission requirements or various event missions and directives.
So, yeah.  They're useful and do have a purpose and can be fun to play well.

Is it worth rushing up to them?  
In hindsight?  Nah, I don't think so.  :-)

I'm planning to welcome the Manfred von Richthofen, eventually.  The Midway and the Audacious, too.

I'm a member of the "Collector's Club".  So, I have my reasons.
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/177016-world-of-warships-collectors-club/

But, now, I'm not in any particular rush to grind up the various lines.  The ships I've already welcomed fulfill the purposes & roles I'm interested in.  

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
7,115 battles

Midway is the Apex Predator of the CV meta right now. She is so flexible it's unreal. All food chains end in her right now. 

Oh and since the change she can ERASE destroyers - something that is in high demand right now.

I was like you - I started watching and listening to the pros. Check out "Toptier" on YouTube and you'll learn pretty quick.

Lex and Midway have the ability to corkscrew with their dive bombers and still land trick shots...trust me when you learn how to use em...you'll NEVER go back.

God I love grand battles with her right now...damn smorgasbord for her.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
7,290 battles
4 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Why do you say DD and not an HE-spamming CL? Burning everything to death seems like a lot more fun that getting radar killed in the first 5 minutes of a match.

The only true counter to a DD currently is another DD.  CLs are quire vulnerable to CAs, BBs and sometimes even DDs.