You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whiskey_Rebel

Not many Tones out

32 comments in this topic

Members
618 posts
3,383 battles

Anyone else noticing this? I saw lots of Ise's, but very few Tones. And now even the Ise's seem rarer. People were complaining about plane spam, but I have not personally seen an Ise or Tone shift a match in a meaningful way. Maybe the hybrid concept just didn't scratch anyone's itch? Or the implementation is off?

Beta Testers
194 posts
13,723 battles

did you see the price tag ?   Might be a factor.... 

I know i would NEVER spend $95 or $80 for a premium . Even spending $45 for the basic package ,  those days are behind me , already got too many ships.  

but that is strictly speaking for myself. 

I am sure it might be worth the real $ investment for some with the $ to burn away and can appreciate the unique tactical opportunities it provides the player with.  , there is nothing wrong that .

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,432 posts
14,956 battles
10 minutes ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

This and people already know how the planes work and that they are mostly for bonus damage.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,563 posts
31,290 battles
10 minutes ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

The price tags for the Ise and Tone are in line with other premium T6 BBs and T8 cruisers.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,126 posts

To be fair, I wasn't sure I'd be great in how to best help my team in these type ships and considered the 'when to' switch between modes is something I just don't want to go into yet.

Maybe in future? But for now, if I want a BB I'll play a BB, and if I want planes then I'll go CV. :Smile_honoring:

[PVE]
Members
11,153 posts
19,431 battles

There are a lot of cheaper to play, Free to play games out there these days. My gals a corker, hey boys that's where my money goes.

[WARSP]
Beta Testers
102 posts
2,988 battles

The real question is, is it worth using over a Atago? Are the planes and front mounted turrets better?

The answer is probably no, if the planes were on a faster cool down or had better torps, maybe. But ironically the oldest premium in game still beats it out

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
194 posts
13,723 battles
3 minutes ago, Kaffee_Kup said:

The real question is, is it worth using over a Atago? Are the planes and front mounted turrets better?

The answer is probably no, if the planes were on a faster cool down or had better torps, maybe. But ironically the oldest premium in game still beats it out

Tone offers tactical choices that Atago just does not have . Both are perfectly good ships , each in its own way. :cap_cool:

• Thanks 1

Members
6,329 posts
48 minutes ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

Tone offers tactical choices that Atago just does not have . Both are perfectly good ships , each in its own way. :cap_cool:

Tone's got good guns, and when a bleeding (i.e. heavily damaged)  Baltimore went behind an island to hide and heal, I just launched the torp planes, caught him not moving behind the island and finished him off.

As you say, tactical choices, and, well, a bit of fun.  "You going to hide behind a a rock, eh?  Hide from this!"

I mean, the cooldown of the squadron is somewhere around the 2.5 minute mark, so it's nothing like a CV in that way.  Just another long-reload weapon you can use occasionally.

Probably won't be seen in competitive play, but really, many don't gaf about that anyway, outside the forums.

Price?  I had a 30% coupon for 4 years in WoWS, so I paid 31.64 for it.  Cheaper than a decent lunch out with the wife, really.  If your financial situation is worried about that amount spent on games, well, you probably shouldn't be spending on games, eh?  (Don't spend money on games that you'd otherwise miss if you just set it on fire...)

EDIT: And, well, it's like Enterprise.  It's Tone.  There were only two, and they were pretty unique.  If you at any time think you shouldn't spend the money for it...then don't spend it on that.  See?  Easy.

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Meh 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,486 posts
13,164 battles
1 hour ago, Kaffee_Kup said:

Depends on what you are using them for. For damage? No. Atago is a more consistent damage performer. For versatility? Yes. The planes do add attack capabilities against targets that Atago can't even reach and it can contribute in situations where Atago can't do anything.

That being said, Atago is a much more consistent performer and it'll do better in most situations where it can contribute at all. You can get totally obliterated while you are controlling the planes. You also have to be good at getting damage output out of the planes for Tone to keep up and it just doesn't do that consistently on T8. I like her, but the planes die like flies on that tier. On Ise's tier, the planes have moderate survivability, on Tone's they disintegrate against any solid AA ship. God help you if it had good stock AA and buffed it.

On T8 AA is stronger and the AA auras are deeper, and Tone's planes are no faster than Ises. You have to take that into account. I mostly use them against isolated, weak AA boats, against targets hiding behind islands, or weak AA DDs. Tone is a perfectly good ship, but it has a higher skill floor that Atago does to be effective.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,049 posts
2,424 battles

Hybrids where a curiosity you are trading away certain things to be able to launch a couple of planes every so often :Smile_amazed:  

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,508 posts
11,010 battles
2 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Anyone else noticing this? I saw lots of Ise's, but very few Tones. And now even the Ise's seem rarer. People were complaining about plane spam, but I have not personally seen an Ise or Tone shift a match in a meaningful way. Maybe the hybrid concept just didn't scratch anyone's itch? Or the implementation is off?

Probably because it makes little sense to buy or use. 

The torp planes do extremely weak damage and the planes are extremely weak since no carrier skills apply to them to harden their survivability. This results in planes that even lower tier non-AA ships easily chow down. 

The damage the torps do is so low that losing your rear turrets for the air torps is a literal downgrade. The only thing you get in return is the 'chance' to do damage beyond your ship's max gun range. 

The ONLY good thing about this ship is the 8.8km stealth and its 10km torps. 

The hybrid concept should have been done the way IJN historically planned to use aviation cruisers: SCOUTING. 

If WG would remove these idiotic 'dps add ons with IJN hate slathered on top' (because if it was a soviet ship you bet those planes would be dropping high damage torps) and replace them with a single, unarmed recon plane that has but ONE unlimited consumable which upon using it makes the scout plane 'rtb' automatically ...and that consumable dropped a high altitude (above AA range) scout plane that could only be taken down by cv or ship-launched fighters and stayed circling for 2 minutes....

These ships would suddenly become incredible assets for their team. They can scout and keep the enemy fleet spotted...the loss of guns for planes is made up for spotting xp/creds gained by the scout planes. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[DVYJC]
Members
4,420 posts
11,786 battles
9 minutes ago, Skyfaller said:

Probably because it makes little sense to buy or use. 

The torp planes do extremely weak damage and the planes are extremely weak since no carrier skills apply to them to harden their survivability. This results in planes that even lower tier non-AA ships easily chow down. 

The damage the torps do is so low that losing your rear turrets for the air torps is a literal downgrade. The only thing you get in return is the 'chance' to do damage beyond your ship's max gun range. 

The ONLY good thing about this ship is the 8.8km stealth and its 10km torps. 

The hybrid concept should have been done the way IJN historically planned to use aviation cruisers: SCOUTING. 

If WG would remove these idiotic 'dps add ons with IJN hate slathered on top' (because if it was a soviet ship you bet those planes would be dropping high damage torps) and replace them with a single, unarmed recon plane that has but ONE unlimited consumable which upon using it makes the scout plane 'rtb' automatically ...and that consumable dropped a high altitude (above AA range) scout plane that could only be taken down by cv or ship-launched fighters and stayed circling for 2 minutes....

These ships would suddenly become incredible assets for their team. They can scout and keep the enemy fleet spotted...the loss of guns for planes is made up for spotting xp/creds gained by the scout planes. 

I think these ships are incredibly valuable for their team. With a CV, you can coordinate air strikes. You can use your torpedo squadron to spot DDs in the late or early game, and to strike ships and help your team when you find yourself on the wrong side of the map from a fight. 

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
2 hours ago, ErikTheVikingMoose said:

did you see the price tag ?

This.  People's curiously itch was scratched with the much cheaper Ise.  The planes offer so little, they only add a slightly different play style for most people.  People didn't need to drop more money to figure that out.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
7,280 battles

It's a ship that is arguably worse than Atago while costing more.  The planes don't do very much and with a 3 minute cooldown, are not reliable for spotting either.

[GWG]
Members
7,734 posts
14,754 battles

If the Tone was a Tier 7,  I would have bought it instantly for Narai.

Operations are a great predictable place to have fun with these new things.

It was a real ship (just not used this way)...   I'd like to see a few reviews.

[JHF]
[JHF]
Members
332 posts
5,319 battles

I would wager that players would prefer tier 6 vs tier 8.  I see a lot in co op though

[MEME]
Beta Testers
195 posts
4,034 battles

She's a ship that people been waiting on for so long... by time she is out.

She is already out dated with other ships that are just flat out better or shut her down.

Wargaming took their sweet time in getting her out the door.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,597 posts

Cruisers are not exactly big hot sellers at the best of times - and it currently isn't the best of times to be in a cruiser, especially one that will just sit there or go in a straight line for a  1 out of every 3 minutes or so.

BB's & DD's sell way more

Lets face it - this hybrid gimmick works best with a non brawling BB, and as other have aid, probably lower tier.

Edited by Anonymous50

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
4 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

People finally found out planes arnt as easy or damage making as they thought so they buggered off.

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
59 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

one that will just sit there or go in a straight line for a  1 out of every 3 minutes or so.

No reason to go in a straight line. Ideally you find cover first or map a nice zig zag pattern. Or use the concealment (or try to) as you run away. Using the planes while under fire does seem a really bad idea and should be avoided.

Obviously if you ship gets spotted after you launch you would have to decide if you need to get back on your ship or finish the attack run/recon.

Jury is still out for Randoms but I'm thinking the  ship will stink for Coop. For any competitive it depends on how much advantage the spotting provides.

[NYAAR]
Members
2,918 posts
15,587 battles
4 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Ise can also be used in Operations, whereas Tone can't

• Cool 1

[2NDRB]
Members
5 posts
7,782 battles

I hate to sound so terribly noobish but... The planes do not have a key to launch them, and I have looked but I can't seem to figure out how to "assign" a key for the planes. I ,so far, have hit M, went into the map screen and used my mouse curser....there has to be a better way.

Thanks, Kavier

Members
6,329 posts
11 minutes ago, kavier_usa said:

I hate to sound so terribly noobish but... The planes do not have a key to launch them, and I have looked but I can't seem to figure out how to "assign" a key for the planes. I ,so far, have hit M, went into the map screen and used my mouse curser....there has to be a better way.

Thanks, Kavier

4 will launch them, *but*, you have to wait out the initial 140ish second wait before you can launch them the first time.  

Edited by Kesh_Lives
  • Cool 1