You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Enforcer017

What is your favorite ship, and why is it Bayern?

33 comments in this topic

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles

For me, my favorite ship in the game is Bayern. Its not so low of a tier that its a seal club like Arkansas, and its not so high of a tier that it has to deal with all the spammy [edited] like North Carolina. 

Its strong, but well balanced. I feel like I am a threat to anything in the matchmaking spread, but I dont get worried or upset about having to face one. It has powerful guns that overmatch even tier VII BBs. Sure, West Virginia and Mutsu have bigger guns in the tier but they don't give any useful overmatch advantage over Bayerns 15" guns. They aren't the most accurate but they are serviceable, and punchy. Out of all the ships that can overmatch tier VI and VII BBs, she is the tankiest. The turret traverse is very slow but that just encourages me to maneuver more. Unlike some of the later ships in this line, Bayern is pretty good at turning, and as a result, destroyers are less of a threat. 

You can also have fun with a secondary build, especially after the commander rework. 

Not sure what else to say really. Just a solid, often overlooked ship that can really be a ton of fun, even today.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

[F4E-2]
Members
357 posts
7,137 battles
3 minutes ago, Enforcer017 said:

For me, my favorite ship in the game is Bayern. Its not so low of a tier that its a seal club like Arkansas, and its not so high of a tier that it has to deal with all the spammy [edited] like North Carolina. 

Its strong, but well balanced. I feel like I am a threat to anything in the matchmaking spread, but I dont get worried or upset about having to face one. It has powerful guns that overmatch even tier VII BBs. Sure, West Virginia and Mutsu have bigger guns in the tier but they don't give any useful overmatch advantage over Bayerns 15" guns. They aren't the most accurate but they are serviceable, and punchy. Out of all the ships that can overmatch tier VI and VII BBs, she is the tankiest. The turret traverse is very slow but that just encourages me to maneuver more. Unlike some of the later ships in this line, Bayern is pretty good at turning, and as a result, destroyers are less of a threat. 

You can also have fun with a secondary build, especially after the commander rework. 

Not sure what else to say really. Just a solid, often overlooked ship that can really be a ton of fun, even today.

I agree. One of my favorite ships and often overlooked. It has an excellent combination of firepower and agility with good armor and it's actually kind of small for a BB.

• Cool 1

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles

Yeah. I forgot to mention that its short, which makes it harder to hit than a lot of BBs.

[TCWNN]
Beta Testers
109 posts
8,312 battles

Warspite master race :cap_tea:

then I guess right after that beautiful beast… would be the Felix Shultz  but that may change once I get the Elbing 

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles

I do love warspite too, but Bayerns tankiness puts her a bit higher for me.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,706 posts
23,842 battles

My favorite tier 5 ship.

Fujin, Kamikaze  R & Kamikaze.

Why?

Because I can remain un-spotted and spam torpedoes until Bayern is dead, dead, dead....

And nothing he can do about it.

[WOLF3]
Members
31,043 posts
26,068 battles

Bayern is okay, a decent overall compromise among the tech tree BBs of Tier VI.  Mind you, all the tech tree Tier VI Battleships have a garish issue or two.  Or three.

Fuso:  Awful accuracy and detection range that makes Yamato look stealthy.  You'll be spotted early.  You'll be spotted permanently.

New Mexico:  Extremely slow, extremely slow reload, and horrid accuracy.

Bayern:  Very weak AP shells, even 356mm AP shells have stronger Penetration than Bayern's WWI-era 380mm AP.  Susceptible to AP Bombs.

Izmail:  A gentle caress of her sides will cause her to explode violently.  Also, AP Bombs love RU Battleships as much as they do German ones.

Normandie:  FR BB accuracy.  Can't hit s**t.

Queen Elizabeth:  Horrible turret traverse and IMO, just a totally unpleasant experience to sail with.  Also, the CV Rebork gutted her once best AA in Tier VI from the RTS CV days.  Her AA in the RTS CV days was really freaking nice and a dirty little secret.  Not anymore, it sucks now.

Bayern is alright as long as you spec for main battery and survival.  She needs to be going after Cruisers where her Overmatch will be bigger factor and her weak AP Pen less of an issue.  Even a kiting Tier VIII Atago still can get rekt by her "weak" 380mm AP.  Unless a BB target is really thin in the belt armor, she'll struggle to Cit them at non-brawling ranges.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
617 posts
17,701 battles

Takao.

Very well rounded, options against most enemies on most maps.

Bayern is fine. Punchy guns, decent armor. But it’s slow and secondaries can’t hit anything now. I’d rather drive my NM to get more barrels, AA, and not eat AP bombs (or the PEF to get a little more speed to actually get secondaries engaged).

[_PEWP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,481 posts
13,479 battles

Almost all the FR BBs are my favs. Love the speed and fire power. Repub is my go to ship for solo pubbing. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,629 posts
17,810 battles

For me it is still Tirpitz. Just good in every situation. 

• Cool 2

[KAPPA]
Members
1,501 posts
8,355 battles

At T6, for me there is no question, the Mighty Fuso conquers all. In my estimation, she and Scharnhorst are tier for tier the strongest BBs in the game. I can work wonders with them no matter what tier of ship they face in their MM spread, and for Fuso at least that extends as far back as when she could still see T9s regularly.

• Cool 1

[HKC]
Members
867 posts
3 hours ago, The_Pewp said:

Almost all the FR BBs are my favs. Love the speed and fire power. Repub is my go to ship for solo pubbing. 

Yarp.  If it absolutely must be killed today: Republique.  Bourgogne is creeping up there, though.

Kansas, Gulio, Exeter, Gallant, Viribus  from memory.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,555 posts
6,459 battles

Hmmm.

Hard to pick a favorite.  I am enjoying Shikishima and Hyuga lately.  I still have fondness for Hood.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There was a time when Normandie could hit things. Before the dark times. Before the Nurfs. 

In the past I could quickly say Perth was my favorite ship, but now i'm lost in a sea of ships. Montpelier has been nice to me though. Its feels nice being able to throw hands with BBs in open water and live to tell the tale. 

Beta Testers
977 posts
15,181 battles

My most played ship is the Fiji and I hate seeing a Bayern on the enemy team of all the BB's out there. So hard to reliably damage one with the RN AP. But you're right, it is a good ship.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,882 posts
2,681 battles

Tier 5 is Cesare, for obvious reasons.

Tier 6 is D'Aosta, for significantly less obvious reasons.

Tier 7 is Haida. Unique playstyle, excels at everything i find the most fun about this game.

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles
16 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

My favorite tier 5 ship.

Fujin, Kamikaze  R & Kamikaze.

Why?

Because I can remain un-spotted and spam torpedoes until Bayern is dead, dead, dead....

And nothing he can do about it.

Yes thats true in theory and I do love my Kami R as well. But in practice before I die to a DD singling me out I'll probably do 80k damage, get 2 kills, and hopefully make enough of a difference that the team can take advantage and win... unless they're awful.... which... its T6 so.... yeah. I have about a 66 percent win rate in Bayern so I can usually make the best of a situation like that. 

17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Bayern is okay, a decent overall compromise among the tech tree BBs of Tier VI.  Mind you, all the tech tree Tier VI Battleships have a garish issue or two.  Or three.

Fuso:  Awful accuracy and detection range that makes Yamato look stealthy.  You'll be spotted early.  You'll be spotted permanently.

New Mexico:  Extremely slow, extremely slow reload, and horrid accuracy.

Bayern:  Very weak AP shells, even 356mm AP shells have stronger Penetration than Bayern's WWI-era 380mm AP.  Susceptible to AP Bombs.

Izmail:  A gentle caress of her sides will cause her to explode violently.  Also, AP Bombs love RU Battleships as much as they do German ones.

Queen Elizabeth:  Horrible turret traverse and IMO, just a totally unpleasant experience to sail with.  Also, the CV Rebork gutted her once best AA in Tier VI from the RTS CV days.  Her AA in the RTS CV days was really freaking nice and a dirty little secret.  Not anymore, it sucks now.

Bayern is alright as long as you spec for main battery and survival.  She needs to be going after Cruisers where her Overmatch will be bigger factor and her weak AP Pen less of an issue.  Even a kiting Tier VIII Atago still can get rekt by her "weak" 380mm AP.  Unless a BB target is really thin in the belt armor, she'll struggle to Cit them at non-brawling ranges.

True about those WW1 shells but that means you get less overpens, and with the overmatch you can smack bow on nagatos for up to 15k fairly reliably. I'd rather have the fewer guns that can overmatch than the greater number of Fuso/New Mex that cant. It gets citadels at random. 

Other ships that are close are Georgia. Its got flexibility that no other BB can match. NC is probably the perfect example of what a BB should be, but both of them have to deal with the nonsense that sometimes permeates high tier. If they gave Mogami a heal and brought it in line with other CAs at the tier it would be my favorite cruiser. Farragut holds a special place in my heart but I refuse to buy it again and ruin my memories with my now terrible DD play.

• Boring 1

[AC1]
Members
244 posts
375 battles

Currently my favorites are Cossack, Fiji, and Dallas.  Then again I don't have a lot of high tier ships yet.

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles
40 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

Currently my favorites are Cossack, Fiji, and Dallas.  Then again I don't have a lot of high tier ships yet.

No need to rush. While i enjoy plenty of my high tier ship and I have my sights set on Ohio next, the game is more true to the original release at low and mid tiers and the maps are more interesting.

I forgot to add in my last post. Arkansas Beta is great for a trolly laugh when I want to play a secondary boat. 6.8 km secondaries at T4 :cap_haloween:

[AC1]
Members
244 posts
375 battles
24 minutes ago, Enforcer017 said:

No need to rush. While i enjoy plenty of my high tier ship and I have my sights set on Ohio next, the game is more true to the original release at low and mid tiers and the maps are more interesting.

I forgot to add in my last post. Arkansas Beta is great for a trolly laugh when I want to play a secondary boat. 6.8 km secondaries at T4 :cap_haloween:

Yea I'm finding lower tier play is far more enjoyable without all the radar spam, but I hate that so many low tier dds have short range torps and terrible concealment

[TOTEN]
Beta Testers
248 posts
6,443 battles
7 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

Yea I'm finding lower tier play is far more enjoyable without all the radar spam, but I hate that so many low tier dds have short range torps and terrible concealment

Minekaze, Mutsuki. I'm no expert on DDs though. I was never really able to transition back to them after grinding up the US BB line. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,522 posts

Bayern was my first Kracken.
Bayern was the first ship where I could rush into the cap and bully people off of it.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
315 posts
4,760 battles

Bayern is a fantastic ship, I really like her personally. She has the same calibre and number of guns as Bismarck. Her AP shells hurt anything you hit with them, and she is one of the tankiest BB's that can overmatch at tier 6. Great ship. 

I enjoy Hood, Richleau, Dunkerque, Atago, Okt Revolutsiya

[BB_B]
Members
100 posts
1,173 battles

Bayern is a beast!!  Love it.  Also like the Scharnhorst.  Tirpitz is my favorite because it's a Bismarck with torps.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,706 posts
23,842 battles
12 hours ago, Enforcer017 said:

Yes thats true in theory and I do love my Kami R as well. But in practice before I die to a DD singling me out I'll probably do 80k damage, get 2 kills, and hopefully make enough of a difference that the team can take advantage and win... unless they're awful.... which... its T6 so.... yeah. I have about a 66 percent win rate in Bayern so I can usually make the best of a situation like that. 

True about those WW1 shells but that means you get less overpens, and with the overmatch you can smack bow on nagatos for up to 15k fairly reliably. I'd rather have the fewer guns that can overmatch than the greater number of Fuso/New Mex that cant. It gets citadels at random. 

Other ships that are close are Georgia. Its got flexibility that no other BB can match. NC is probably the perfect example of what a BB should be, but both of them have to deal with the nonsense that sometimes permeates high tier. If they gave Mogami a heal and brought it in line with other CAs at the tier it would be my favorite cruiser. Farragut holds a special place in my heart but I refuse to buy it again and ruin my memories with my now terrible DD play.

Solo warrior in fujin.

8 kill carry to get 1 torpedo hit for last pearl in my Kamikaze.

Now in New cv rework state, it's much harder with dual cv