You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USMC_FMF

Hydrophone on Subs is what RADAR SHOULD have been.

8 comments in this topic

[CLUMP]
Members
291 posts

If you haven't played subs by now, or seen how the new Hydrophone consumable on subs works you should take a look. This is exactly what RADAR should have been from the start. The Hydrophone does not permanently light up targets through rocks, islands etc. It sends out pings in "waves" which show you the outline of ships but does not "light them up" as if you had proper line of sight. So you still need to take a best guess at where a target is going and going to be when you fire at it. This is how RADAR should have always worked. 

• Thanks 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[X-PN]
Members
19 posts
7,097 battles

I don't disagree at all. The real question is will WG change radar?

The answer to that question is probably no, because this is an arcade game, not a game based on hyper-realism.

[HELLS]
Members
2,851 posts
31,687 battles

You don't guess. You paper plot the two positions (yours and the target's)on a known scale between pings to determine own course and target bearing, relative motion, courses, and speeds. That's the way they used to do it off of a PPI with radar. It's a bit more complicated with sonar because the bearing and range displays are different but it still works. That's what they used to do in the old CIC. The Brits used a plotting table that kept own course information relevant and up to date. Course changes means you keep track of target motion relative to the ship's motion all at the same time. The target solution keeps changing all the time, and if you lose contact, you are back to the guessing game. The introduction of homing torpedoes in mid-1943 took a lot of the guesswork out of it.

• Cool 1

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,464 posts
10,717 battles
44 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

If you haven't played subs by now, or seen how the new Hydrophone consumable on subs works you should take a look. This is exactly what RADAR should have been from the start. The Hydrophone does not permanently light up targets through rocks, islands etc. It sends out pings in "waves" which show you the outline of ships but does not "light them up" as if you had proper line of sight. So you still need to take a best guess at where a target is going and going to be when you fire at it. This is how RADAR should have always worked. 

Imagine if WG grew a brain and ended up removing the current radar, replacing it with this hydrophone code as the new radar, removing the absolutely moronic ping-homing torpedoes and then made subs have to dial in the running depth of the torpedo (each ship has different keel depth..dialing to the right depth = citadel hits IF it hits citadel areas, otherwise, reduced damage torp results) and fire them based on an arc+torpedo line of fire icon... locked targets generating a lead indicator (like they do on the surface now)... gave subs back the ability they had last test to dive or climb to whatever depth they want... and finally returned to the old battery+regen in surface mechanic. 

Solves radar. Introduces actual WW2 like sub combat. What a fantasy that would be right? Its something as fantastic and unbelievable as the entire soviet ship line. 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,328 posts
13,008 battles
59 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

targets through rocks, islands etc. It sends out pings in "waves" which show you the outline of ships but does not "light them up" as if you had proper line of sight.

You're only half correct. Even at this time period, radar not only lit up the target but tracked them as if they had line of sight, including course AND speed.

Hydrophone is not what radar should have been. Veiled DD jab has been unveiled. :cap_old:

[SALVO]
Members
8,343 posts
6,186 battles
1 hour ago, USMC_FMF said:

I like how Hydrophone is simulated, but from a gameplay perspective it is quite useless. As a limited consumable it should give you a steady feedback on enemy position during its working time, as it is now you only get like 3-4 pings of information and don't get enough time to line a sonar ping and line a proper shot. The nature of the Hydrophone is mostly defensive, which really limits its usefulness in the game context. This is one case of a properly modeled mechanic being a poor solution for the game needs, as much as it saddens me to say it, the mechanic needs to be more "gamey" to be useful. 

Edited by ArIskandir

[-TRM-]
Members
0 posts

Oh sure there is a mechanic in game where you round a smallish island with torps ready to nuke a BB beached on the opposite side 2 km away.

Unseen.

BIG TRIANGLE goes up into your face saying DETECTED!!!! BB begins to swing turrets around towards you and move out.

This is one of those situations where you dump all 15 shima torps towards it in a big fan it will never escape and pop smoke. 50/50

Before that mechanic was put into game you seriously came around and until visually acquired the BB they knew nothing. I once caught 4 BB's beached together this way.

If they had a friendly hydro or radar in range of them and uncovered me that way such is life. But sometimes they have nothing but mark 1 eyeball.

I suppose there is a vocal minority howling that I am some kind of unfair player.... and so they put in the auto radar at 2km in for all ships near a island.

I solved that problem by trying to steer small. Staying about 2.2 km or so just at the edge until I get around to see em.

Edited by xHeavy