You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weekend Spree, 11-13 June 2021

24 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles

Played a huge mixed bag of stuff for Team Lindwurm. At present, we look set to get at least our 10 point commander (ETA: Checked this morning; we did). Then I can really start to wind back and do a lot less per day.

Realized with horror that the most recent changes to the Ognevoi took away her fast-reloading 3-per-launcher torpedo option. BOOOOOO!!!! At least that means I lose nothing now by going up to the B hull.

Had some battles in the Z-31 that changed my mind forever about the usefulness of the new German DD line in co-op. Managed to finish the collection for the T8 ship's camo too, so I'm taking it up at least that far eventually. 

Outside of WOWS, I did some stuff in the shed involving drills, screws, clamps and a fine-tuned beam-balance scale and started looking for a house with a bigger shed.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF9]
Members
1,334 posts
24,830 battles

@Ensign_Cthulhu  Outside of WOWS, I did some stuff in the shed involving drills, screws, clamps and a fine-tuned beam-balance scale and started looking for a house with a bigger shed.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a bigger shed?

I went 10/12 in Naval Battles, and the clan was down 20 this evening, so not looking good.  Forced to do DDs and cruisers mostly, and sometimes I was too much of a potato to get that 300 BXP.

I did buy the Yueyang this week, so all current tech tree grinds are done, save for the new KM DDs (at 140k XP on the Maerker) and the IJN gunboat regrind.

I believe all the KM DD ships become researchable on Wednesday.  I have enough XP and creditws to get the Schulz, but not the Elbing.

On the Akizuki in the regrind.  I like this line a lot starting with this ship, so it will be more of a fun experience than a boring regrind.

On the Team Lindwurm, and we should get the 10 pt commander.  Probably won't get the 6 point Twitch commander as I can't seem to get those streams when they are active.  Was trying to figure out how the team totals work versus the indivual totals.  It seems to me that the team totals will only increase if you finish the personal missions.  Getting 99 percent done will NOT give you partial team increases.  Anyways, I will have gotten all 4 10 pointers.  Not sure if I will ever use them, but I can always cash them in for ECXP later on.

This week will be new directives and a crunch for credits for the Schulz, and later on the Kitakaze and Elbing.    Otherwise, I will be taking it easier as I prepare for Dutch Cruisers and the new dockyard.

Been trying to keep my spending down for WoWs this year, and so far I am only slightly behind my projections (as opposed to the last 2 years when I was WAY over budget).  As long as the few ships that interest me aren't for $$$, I should be ok.

Outside of WoWs:

1)  E3 was this weekend and Blizzard announced Diablo 2 remastered will be released Sept 23rd.  WOWs will have competition as I loved that game back in the day.

2)  Got half my RV pad rocked.  It was a 22' x 22' spot.  Tarp and rock put down.  134 - 50 pound bags for 6700 pounds (3.35 tons).  Bought and loaded into my jeep, then poured on the spot.  Not bad for a 64 year old geezer.  A little sore though.  The other half needs a little prep work done before I lay the next rock, so that is this week's task.  I already have 64 more bags ready to go though.  Not sure why, but I have always enjoyed yardwork and landscaping, and my son just got me moving a few weeks ago and I am having a blast.  Not enjoying the 90 degree stretch of days we have been having for the last 2 weeks and the NEXT 2 weeks.  Very hot for Wyoming this time of year.  And very dry.

See you all on the high seas.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,646 posts
19,043 battles

Well, I lost every battle in silver ranked today and for whatever reason every team seemed to have someone on it with this mindset:

shot-21_06.13_14_02.11-0848.thumb.jpg.2be351274fafaebfd2848a415a8ea530.jpg

Not really sure why. This was probably my third of fourth battle reading similar whiny comments so I just reported and blocked him. Perhaps he had MMM or XVM etc and felt that we were just too bad for his elite 48% win rate. He naturally died quite quickly and ended up dead last on the team. I really enjoyed bronze ranked but silver has been something of a chore. 

Glad you liked the Z-31; I'm terrible with destroyers. Someday I'll grind up the German DD line. 

Fair seas.  

[WOLF9]
Members
1,334 posts
24,830 battles
6 minutes ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Well, I lost every battle in silver ranked today and for whatever reason every team seemed to have someone on it with this mindset:

shot-21_06.13_14_02.11-0848.thumb.jpg.2be351274fafaebfd2848a415a8ea530.jpg

Not really sure why. This was probably my third of fourth battle reading similar whiny comments so I just reported and blocked him. Perhaps he had MMM or XVM etc and felt that we were just too bad for his elite 48% win rate. He naturally died quite quickly and ended up dead last on the team. I really enjoyed bronze ranked but silver has been something of a chore. 

Glad you liked the Z-31; I'm terrible with destroyers. Someday I'll grind up the German DD line. 

Fair seas.  

I started out as an all around all tech tree lines main.  Found out my planes couldn't hit an island, let alone a moving ship, so CVs were out.  Found out my torps COULD hit islands instead of moving ships, so out they went.  Last Fall I had reached T10 on all of the BB and CA/CL lines, so I picked up DDs again.  Now they are all at T10 to and I have learned the hard way how to hit ships with torpedoes.  Keep at it.  It will happen.  If you have trouble in randoms, come play some in coop and you can learn there.

[PVE]
Members
7,378 posts
51 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Outside of WOWS, I did some stuff in the shed involving drills, screws, clamps and a fine-tuned beam-balance scale and started looking for a house with a bigger shed.

It's sort of becoming a tradition for me to sidetrack your spree posts.  When I read this it reminded me of when a friend told me he was looking for a new place.  It was his way of saying his wife kicked him out.  For your sake, I hope you really do just need a bigger shed. :Smile-_tongue:

Also, everyone please be really careful when typing the word bigger.  I'm sure the forum would have blocked it out, but my heart sure sank when I saw that typo. :Smile_facepalm:

[BEA5T]
Members
5,309 posts
24,204 battles

Let's see.  Won six clan battles yesterday and lost six tonight.  Stopped playing and won't go back for a while....  Tried brawl and that was a mess: another won't go back there for a long time.  Had some fun with the Halland in CB's.....  Shot down 74 in one battle.  But, the meta is too strong and we aren't skilled enough to exist anymore.  So, I'm done.  I really don't want to be "just someone else's target" anymore.  

Got one range project done and will reload a bunch and put that project away.  Have another just about done and will reload for hunting this fall.  The Competitive stuff is this week coming and there won't be very much WoWs this next week.

A short break from the game is necessary.     :cap_yes:

[WPORT]
Members
9,986 posts
14,444 battles

Worked on my Naval Battles grid.  Earned 10 stars while using 14 attempts.  

Welcomed Commander Lindwurm (6-points) a short while ago.

Trained some Commanders, for the fun of it.

Spoiler

Commander Dusty Rodes, Captain of the Lexington, earned 1 skill point via battle experience (bringing his total to 14 skill points).
He will retain the rank of Rear Admiral until he reaches his 15th. skill point.
06-13-2021  10:35 Hours.

Commander Andrew Cunningham, Captain of the Implacable, earned 1 skill point via battle experience (bringing his total to 13 skill points).
06-13-2021  11:40 Hours.

Commander William Brown, Captain of the Langley, earned 1 skill point via a combination of battle experience and extra training (bringing his total to 13 skill points).
His rank is now Rear Admiral.
06-13-2021  18:05 Hours.

Worked on some Battle of the Beasts missions.  I'm currently on Team Glühschwanz.
Listened to some Twitch Streams during the week.  Welcomed Commander Feuerputz a day or two ago.

Participated in some "Brawls", today, just to see what they were about. 
Didn't win every game, but did have enough wins to earn some serious credits in profit (for me at least).
Was glad to see that most players and teams had a good sense of humor.

Went out, yesterday evening, on a "date night" with my wife.
There was a Music & Art festival in a nearby city, and some of my wife's family were performing as musicians.
But, they weren't all performing together, so we had to walk to different locations at different times in order to experience each of their performances.
It was worth the trip.  Nice to see the world recovering from Covid-19, gradually, too.

Participated in the Submarine Test Server event.  Wrote about that, in other topics.

Weekends are too short.  :-)

[MR-1]
Members
1,993 posts
23,275 battles

i have 2 of the commanders waiting for the team to catch me up so i can get the welhund commander 

• Cool 1

[ALLY]
Members
404 posts
21,420 battles

I will not bore everyone with everything that I accomplished.  The one thing that many will be happy to hear is that I finished my grind to the T10 German CV Richtoven (probably miss-spelled).  When I started this grind (I have all the other T10 CVs and only play them in COOP for the naval battle 300 BXP battles or to knock snow flakes off)  I had somewhere around a 118 Karma.  After this grind I am now at a 70 and was as low as a 63.  Looking forward to my Karma climbing again!  There are a lot of people who automatically report you if you play CV at all.

C130 signing out

[CO-OP]
Members
3,461 posts
30,254 battles

Didn't play too much this weekend, but did manage to finish collecting all of the beast captains:

image.png.af9274ebaec7f1d6368ab7c67d38e2a6.png

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Supertester
1,594 posts
15,428 battles

Don't think I unlocked any ships this weekend, I did purchase the Lenin, T-61, and Nelson though. If the coupon refreshed before the update I might have got Asashio too. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
10 hours ago, kyesac said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a bigger shed?

The shed isn't the main driver here. There are other reasons we're wanting to move house, but a bigger shed is high on the list of desirable attributes.

9 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Perhaps he had MMM or XVM etc and felt that we were just too bad for his elite 48% win rate.

:Smile_trollface:

"This team isn't good enough to carry my worthless butt across the finish line. Time to start ranting!"

9 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

When I read this it reminded me of when a friend told me he was looking for a new place.  It was his way of saying his wife kicked him out. 

Not the case here.

9 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Let's see.  Won six clan battles yesterday and lost six tonight.  Stopped playing and won't go back for a while....  Tried brawl and that was a mess: another won't go back there for a long time. 

I thought you were a co-op main! The clan battles, six wins and six losses, are at least zero sum. I haven't had any interest in Brawls, and I am absolutely done with Ranked forever.

Whatever we may differ on, I think we can agree that playing in modes which bring us misery is not a good thing to do. I have significant swathes of time in which I grind Randoms hard, then all of a sudden I get burned out on that and it's time to come back to co-op only for a while. 

If you're going to take a break from gameplay, well and good; do make sure you at least log in and pick up your daily bonuses. 

3 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

If the coupon refreshed before the update I might have got Asashio too. 

I'm surprised you don't already have her. I have the B version, which I bought a couple of Black Fridays back to see what the fuss was all about. The nature of the torps means she's a difficult ship to play properly, and I have to be in the mood to do it.

[WOLFG]
Members
12,719 posts
11,838 battles

I actually didn't play much this weekend.  Maybe 6 games a day.

Not much going on in game I want right now.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,309 posts
24,204 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I thought you were a co-op main! The clan battles, six wins and six losses, are at least zero sum. I haven't had any interest in Brawls, and I am absolutely done with Ranked forever.

I started WoWs in PVP for about 4K battles and then went to PVE and stayed there for 16K or so.....  The 2x7 Bug drove me almost out of the game.  Changed clans and decided to play some PVP.  Ranked every once in a while.  Randoms never so far.  Clan Battles because I always wanted to try them....  Guess what:  Clan Battles are the same as Ranked.   The meta drives these matches into the same battlespace mechanics that limits "everything...."   Every match is the same to the point of every match having the same concluding event:  a cascading error or mistake that cause an error.  And that, is why this game simply won't ever be a serious competitive game.  Now, get rid of Caps and make the maps bigger......and, use a lot more open or mostly open ocean maps and this game would get back to who can actually move and shoot to win using actual Naval Tactics.....  As it is, it is more reminiscent of a game many had as kids:  whack a mole......  or, as a friend last night said"  "this is WOTS on water...........all we need now is Artillery and it would be just about the same...."   I think he is right.  

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles

I was gonna sand down the rust spots on my truck and paint them..ended up not because of the weather. Ill finish up getting tier 4 on the commanders today and then wows will be put on the back burner until the next dockyard event cause this gal will be blowing mechs up for the foreseeable future.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Guess what:  Clan Battles are the same as Ranked.

No, they're not. In clan battles, you know your team-mates and your team composition (which ship is being brought by which player) before you begin, and the latter can be debated at length. In addition, there is the option of voice comms to co-ordinate actions in real time. In that sense, they could not be more different. If that's not how you're fighting clan battles, it needs to be.

Only Operations scenarios offer the same level of co-operative (pun not intended) interaction across every player on your team.

[PVE]
Members
7,378 posts
2 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I was gonna sand down the rust spots on my truck and paint them..ended up not because of the weather. Ill finish up getting tier 4 on the commanders today and then wows will be put on the back burner until the next dockyard event cause this gal will be blowing mechs up for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably finish my regrind of the IJN gun boats then take a break before the dockyard too.  I swore off another dockyard, but the that Dutch cruiser has me really tempted.  I'll be getting back to the new maps in Snowrunner.

What mech game are you playing?  I haven't played one of those games since the original MechWarrior, that was in the late 80's I think.

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
12 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'll probably finish my regrind of the IJN gun boats then take a break before the dockyard too.  I swore off another dockyard, but the that Dutch cruiser has me really tempted.  I'll be getting back to the new maps in Snowrunner.

What mech game are you playing?  I haven't played one of those games since the original MechWarrior, that was in the late 80's I think.

Right now Mechwarrior 5 Mercs. Just got put on steam. Its not quite as good as 4, but im running mods that remove or fix alot of the issues i have with it.

4 Vengeance, and 4 Mercenaries(With the mektek 3.2b mod) are also fun :)

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles

Returned from a week’s vacation on Saturday afternoon.

Promptly got stung on the face/nose by a WASP. Put the exclamation point on vacation being OVER. Needless to say, didn’t really feel up to the WoWs thing that night.

Got into it some last night, playing Ranked, wining 5 of 6 (or was it 4 of 5?) in Sinop, saving a star on the loss. Carried HARD on the final battle to gun down a Spee before ramming a Colorado for the final kill, a Double Strike and a High Caliber, with 157k damage.

One co-op to get the final increment of XP for my final daily container.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,594 posts
15,428 battles

Losses don't really matter in Clan Battles if you aren't trying to progress leagues, you just get your 30 wins in squall/gale/storm for the steel/other perks. 

[BEA5T]
Members
5,309 posts
24,204 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No, they're not. In clan battles, you know your team-mates and your team composition (which ship is being brought by which player) before you begin, and the latter can be debated at length. In addition, there is the option of voice comms to co-ordinate actions in real time. In that sense, they could not be more different. If that's not how you're fighting clan battles, it needs to be.

Only Operations scenarios offer the same level of co-operative (pun not intended) interaction across every player on your team.

Time out my friend.  Yes, we are all on Discord.  Yes, we all have "ships they/we/I like"......and, not necessarily anywhere near the meta.....   Yes, we are not total strangers.  And no, our skills are radically different; even, if many are from the same clans....   Additionally,  the maps and the winning exploit are exactly the same.....game after game after game.....   Been there, seen that, experienced it and have won several matches because of it.....  Item 2:  let's count the meta and OP ships that will be there.:  Petro - check; Des Moines - check; Moskva - Check.  Thunderer - check; et al......  Now, since the meta has not changed and, assuming you want a chance at winning, you "have to take" at least 2 or 3 radar ships.  We use a carrier and three DD's..... 

The real difference is:  skill matching in the MM.  It really doesn't matter if we bring the "required ships" if we are fighting against a team of Barney's in their OP layouts......apples and oranges.  Have had some surprising wins against far better teams but, no, the odds are not in a lesser clan's favor....  BTW, 74 planes shot down last night in my Halland and the enemy Carrier and I were the last ships and I could not destroy him fast enough - de planed him for sure (ask for anything but time.....) 

So, Ranked is driven and Clan Battles are driven by the meta; a game mechanics exploit; and, a MM that really doesn't even know whom, skill wise, is whom............and that, means a lot of one way stomps - which, aren't any fun at all and drives a lot of players out of PVP.......  I quit after six losses in a row - clan record I've been told.  I'm not even sure we're going to try this week either.  It's that bad.  Ranked is exactly the same mechanically...... meta/caps/skill......  Now, remove the caps from the maps;  match radar 1:1; and, use an aggregate team skill metric (which would have to be based on combat damage, living/getting killed rates; and hit and damage efficiency (bu class and by team combined) and then, let's have at it and have a bit more fun..........  Didn't ELO kind of go down this route with chess???  To have a process that can determine the apples and the oranges??? 

BTW, the 9m project is COMPLETE !!!  Woo Hoo !!!

[BEA5T]
Members
5,309 posts
24,204 battles
2 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Losses don't really matter in Clan Battles if you aren't trying to progress leagues, you just get your 30 wins in squall/gale/storm for the steel/other perks. 

There is that as a Lesson Learnt.....^^^^^   thanks for the reminder.   But, consider that if no one really cares all that much and it's just about farming steel no matter what, don't you think that lessens the entire concept....??  What happens if a "team X" simply gets lucky for a long time and lucks out against a really serious team.......?  Had that happen this past week and it made me think about what you said ^^^^^^ .  I am not sure I can just "play losses till we accidentally win....." -  30 times.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,594 posts
15,428 battles
43 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

There is that as a Lesson Learnt.....^^^^^   thanks for the reminder.   But, consider that if no one really cares all that much and it's just about farming steel no matter what, don't you think that lessens the entire concept....??  What happens if a "team X" simply gets lucky for a long time and lucks out against a really serious team.......?  Had that happen this past week and it made me think about what you said ^^^^^^ .  I am not sure I can just "play losses till we accidentally win....." -  30 times.

Doesn't mean that's how our clan plays, but the possibility is there. I don't know who you play with but between games we are having a good time on comms and learning things even in our losses. There have been several times we roll out a not perfect meta comp but still get wins. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,629 posts
17,810 battles

Lots of Conan exiles but was able to sneek some Wows in. Making my way up the Italian BB line.