You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WoWsNewsBot

Combat Discipline: Disabling Friendly Fire

122 comments in this topic

[N-W-T]
Members
1 post
671 battles

The teamkill penalty doesn't need to change so drastically.  The penalty should remain the same as it is (not 40 hits that's ridiculous), it is important to pay attention to not hitting teamates.  The only change should be that no damage is taken by the person being hit, the penalty should still be strict and harsh on the person doing damage.  This prevents torp spam and simplistic play, I thought we are trying to go for a more advanced playstyle not make this total noob friendly and simple...

[TXGUN]
Members
231 posts
16,822 battles

Years ago I suggested the victim of friendly fire be the one to determine if any punishment was exacted.  The victim knows if the damage was intentional, accidental or the result of their own error. What in the world is wrong with leaving it up to the player who suffered the damage to chose the actions?

• Cool 3

[PISD]
Beta Testers
594 posts
25,369 battles

They will penalize a accident.  I do shoot people on purpose.  Not because they are AFK.  craphappens.  They wont penalize the BB that hides at the spawn line or the DD hiding and not spotting for the team.  Sounds about right to me

[OVRPN]
[OVRPN]
Beta Testers
238 posts
20,106 battles

I see no reason to remove the torpedo warning. Anyone from the community team care to explain the reasoning?

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,447 posts
30,206 battles
2 minutes ago, ZeroGiven said:

I see no reason to remove the torpedo warning. Anyone from the community team care to explain the reasoning?

Given the number of hits required to go pink, and since friendly torps don't inflict damage, eliminating the warning is one less distraction.  OTOH, they could have given an option to give a warning in your settings.

[GENT]
Members
2 posts
6,072 battles
2 hours ago, Hel_Diver142 said:

Don't hit friendly ships and you get no penalty.

That's [edited]. There are plenty of times when I let my torps go at a target only to see a friendly bot get in the way and eat them. I do not think that too many players hit teammates on purpose.  

• Cool 1

[DOD]
[DOD]
Beta Testers
102 posts
5,331 battles
Just now, HamptonRoads said:

Given the number of hits required to go pink, and since friendly torps don't inflict damage, eliminating the warning is one less distraction.  OTOH, they could have given an option to give a warning in your settings.

Yeah, I would appreciate leaving the warning enabled, or giving us the option to leave it enabled.   Not all friendly fire incidents are deliberate acts of malice, and I don't want to be in a situation where because I zigged when the other person thought I would zag, I stop torpedoes from hitting an enemy ship. 

Admittedly this is a pretty rare occurrence already, so, it's probably more a panic reaction to the truth that "there are no such thing as friendly torpedoes."

I do like the change in general though -- most of my friendly fire incidents occur when I'm focused on a target with a dakka dakka ship, and then another friendly ship sails to brawl or ram or yolo and gets caught in the crossfire.   Purely accidental, and because I lost situational awareness.  (Which, when you think about it, is the root cause between all accidental blue on blue fire anyway.)

The real problem, of course, is that no technological system can solve PEBKAC.  If somebody is determined to play badly and/or play maliciously, they'll find a way.

[DOD]
[DOD]
Beta Testers
102 posts
5,331 battles
10 minutes ago, bettyb said:

That's [edited]. There are plenty of times when I let my torps go at a target only to see a friendly bot get in the way and eat them. I do not think that too many players hit teammates on purpose.  

That's why when I play co-op, I only fire my torps at point blank range.   I don't trust the bots.

Which, when you think about it, is probably the one aspect of co-op that's exactly like random battles - don't trust your teammates.  :D

[HINON]
Members
9,007 posts
13,171 battles

at this point, with you having to land 40-50 hits on allies to go pink, itll be easy to tell who the intentional TKers are now when a pink player shows up

Edited by tcbaker777

[FFG16]
Members
42 posts

The current system was working just fine and seemed pretty balanced. If you want to remove the damage caused to ally, ok.  The other changes are unnecessary and will create more issues. 

Members
1,036 posts
2 hours ago, Elosan said:

Even if the torps wont hurt you the warning should still be there so you can avoid them and not ruin someones shot

exactly!!!!!

[UDT]
[UDT]
Members
84 posts
21,209 battles

Do not like this.

Trigger control - ID your target before you shoot.  Don't torp behind a Friendly

It will allow sloppy shooting, lowers aiming skills

r/

• Cool 1

[ENCOM]
Members
3 posts
27,882 battles

Did friendly fire not count in actual Naval battles???  Leave it the way it is and increase the penalty for multiple infractions!

• Cool 2

[DREGZ]
Members
2 posts
501 battles
11 minutes ago, PC564 said:

Did friendly fire not count in actual Naval battles???  Leave it the way it is and increase the penalty for multiple infractions!

never happens, penalty was too great!  lol

[ADO]
Members
12 posts
5,334 battles

ENGLISH (FORGIVE MY BAD ENGLISH)

I liked when the game promoted discipline among the players, we are all adults, we must be careful with our environment and not turn it into an environment to promote not paying attention, it was very good when we played paying attention to both the enemy and the companions around us because We knew that if by our mistake we caused damage to an ally, that could cost us the battle ... and that, it does not matter ... they just made it child's play

ESPAÑOL

Me gustaba cuando el juego promovía disciplina entre los jugadores, todos somos adultos, debemos tener cuidado con nuestro entorno y no volverlo un entorno para promover no prestar atención, era muy bueno cuando jugábamos prestando atención tanto del enemigo como de los compañeros que teníamos alrededor porque sabíamos que si por nuestro error causábamos daño a un aliado, eso nos podía costar la batalla.... ya eso, no importa... lo acaban de volver juego de niños

• Cool 1

[ADO]
Members
12 posts
5,334 battles

I wish "THE DEACTIVATION OF DAMAGE FRIEND" had existed in real life during WWII .. !!!!! It really seems stupid to try to take away a bit of realism from the game and give players a free hand to play carelessly .. !!!!!

[T_N_R]
Members
1 post
1,939 battles

The only issue I had with the previous (I guess current) system was when bots drove into my torps in Co-op. I never felt it penalized unfairly outside of that. Enemy bots have no trouble IDing torps, friendly bots drive into them every. single. time. I broke my favorite mouse because of this. :/

[GWG]
Members
7,612 posts
14,495 battles
2 hours ago, OKIES_NAVY said:

Years ago I suggested the victim of friendly fire be the one to determine if any punishment was exacted.  The victim knows if the damage was intentional, accidental or the result of their own error. What in the world is wrong with leaving it up to the player who suffered the damage to chose the actions?

So some guy rams you - then claims THEY are the victim.  YOU got in their way.  YOU ruined their attack - and thus their entire game.

Many times, a lumbering BB rammed my DD and pushed me right out of my smoke -- to be immediately clobbered by nearby cruisers.
New system doesn't cover that -- need to submit a replay to CS.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Cool 1

[TW]
[TW]
Members
1 post
2,269 battles

If we fire off a round of torps with a 10km range and one of them hits an AI teammate at 9.9km that had more than enough time to detect it and move out of the way then we shouldn't receive a penalty. We shouldn't get any penalty at all for hitting those stupid things in my opinion.

The stupid AI needs to quit with the ramming too.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,447 posts
30,206 battles
25 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Many times, a lumbering BB rammed my DD and pushed me right out of my smoke -- to be immediately clobbered by nearby cruisers.
New system doesn't cover that -- need to submit a replay to CS.

I have been guilty of doing this, but it wasn't intentionally.  I thought I could sail behind a DD, but then said DD went into reverse .  I signaled with a horn, but couldn't avoid the collision. 

But you're correct, you would need to submit a ticket to player support to report malicious conduct.

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
129 posts
23,408 battles

in over 5 years of playing the game there was only one time of having my computer drop off line where i was not able to reconnect to the game in progress. i finally had to turn off my computer and turn it back on and restart it to get the game back on. by then the game had ended and i was penalized for leaving the game early. i have an excellent computer and droppong off line happens very infrequently. having to leave the game as a result has only happened this one time in more than 5 years. not my fault.

Members
3 posts

The point of the rules change is to end the ability of players to harm team mates intentionally, and that is a good change. Preventing harm in the first place fixes the problem of players harming others intentionally much better than any reporting system.

Unfortunately there was a need for this change, as some players intentionally damaged team mates. This isn't about "friendly fire". These players were not friendly to their team mates, they wanted to hurt them. Now they can't.

[ABIDE]
Members
32 posts

WoW crashes mid battle on average 1 in 3 games and then WG adds insult to the injury penalising me for "inactivity" :(