You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WoWsNewsBot

Combat Discipline: Disabling Friendly Fire

119 comments in this topic

Members
1,945 posts
28,267 battles

This rework is a tacit, if not plainly evident, admission that all the Customer Service crap responses to team-killer complaints through the years that "The automated system is working. There are no need for reports and no action will be taken due to reports."

Years of griefers, and now WG sees a need to 'do something.'

And everyone who willingly pays a dime to this game subsidizes and approves of WG's behaviors, regardless of whether the payers accept responsibility or not.

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 1

Members
8 posts
1,530 battles
Spoiler

Don't assign penalties for stupid BOTs that run right into our torps especially at the far end of the torp range. Humans saw it coming for a long time and heard the warnings, but not the BOT.

• Cool 15

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
1 post
30,925 battles

Alright...WoW is imperfect...LOL...but to not inform the captain of INCOMING FRIENDLY TORPEDOES...Another misguided attempt at improving the game...for WHOM?!!!   

Keep trying WoW...some YEAR you might come close to improving...Happy Hunting Y'all...

• Cool 4

[KMS]
Beta Testers
216 posts
7,972 battles

Interesting and creates a terrible "what if". 

Players from opposing teams are on the same side in "Naval Battle" mode.  Team A and Team B are very close near the end of the event.  Player from Team A is rocking the game, and will earn more than enough to gain the next star for his team.  Player from Team B is aware of this, and moves to be hit by Player A in a "friendly fire" incident, causing Player A to lose all that he/she earned in the game, in addition to Team A losing the star.

Hopefully, the appeals process will be able to address this but it does create some interesting ideas to change the course of a Clan v Clan event.

• Cool 1

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
451 posts
11,308 battles
21 minutes ago, BigFishDestroyer said:
  Hide contents

Don't assign penalties for stupid BOTs that run right into our torps especially at the far end of the torp range. Humans saw it coming for a long time and heard the warnings, but not the BOT.

Agree with this most strongly - bots will change course and get hit by friendly torps - even though they detect enemy torps the second you hit the 3 key  -  also bots engage in friendly fire, guns and torps,  as welll.

• Cool 5

[DKL]
Members
3 posts
1,462 battles

Really like the changes except for 1 problem.

If you’re going to penalize me for in adverting hitting another ship with a torpedo that he cannot see, therefor avoid, is not very fair. Honestly, at times its very difficult currently to not hit friendlies with torps without their help by NOT turning into my wall of torps.  This is after a warning in chat. Please either turn friendly torp icons back on, and/or remove torps from friendly fire penalty. Trust me the times I fire the perfect salvo into a gap and someone on my team drives in DIES and stops me from getting 3-5 torp hits with a kill is enough penalty.

In summary, PLEASE either remove torps from friendly fire penalty or show friendly torps on screen. Playing devils advocate again I can see DD’s fighting for a kill in Randoms running in front of one another causing team kill penalties just to grief each other and score shots.

• Cool 8

[ARGSY]
Members
23,877 posts
17,862 battles
12 minutes ago, kayjay said:

bots will change course and get hit by friendly torps

The initial proposal was for more than fifteen hits in a single battle to be the lose-everything bar. They have now raised that significantly. 

image.thumb.png.ec7369a2a6a6de81560765b66644ee21.png

Forty hits on a single ship or fifty across all allies in the entire battle will really take some doing, even for a Smolensk or Harugumo.

This will remove any worry that you'll be unfairly penalized for those true "Oh sh*t!" accidents that sometimes happen, and it will pretty much rule out ANY possibility of trolls and griefers farming enough friendly fire to deliberately deprive someone of their earnings. Given that the friendly fire reflection will be keyed to the HP of the ship that fired the weapons, it might even be harder to induce a griefer teamkill than it is now.

Speaking as someone who almost certainly lost a three-human co-op battle last night (the other two were divisioned) because one of my 'friendly' bots torped me in the back, I'm really looking forward to this change.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 5
  • Meh 2

[RG-1]
[RG-1]
Members
23 posts
4,190 battles
1 hour ago, ZelligmanIvan said:

Makes no sense to penalize for "Friendly Fire" when it does no damage.  Really make no sense to take it out. 

Does anything they do make sense anymore?

• Cool 1

[KHAN]
Members
1 post
32,260 battles

Let me see if I got this straight. I will be penalized for NOT damaging a friendly ship. Especially some idiot who drives into my smoke, on my gun side, while I am zoomed in shooting at the enemy. Now who's fault is that really? Most torp hits are accidental. Especially Shimmie 20k torps. Some players purposefully turn into the path of the torps to make the shooter go pink. So if no real harm is done, why is there a penalty? Take pink and penalty away. It may be annoying to have a friendly shoot at you but what real harm is there? Thinking is difficult. You might try it sometime.

• Cool 4

[DLIB]
Members
2 posts

I've inadvertently hit my team, I've lost awareness of my surroundings by being too focused on the target and accidentally hit a teammate with my boat, I've been hit by teammates either by being too close to the enemy or just bad luck...  it happens, it sucks.  I've NEVER done anything like this intentionally, but I accept the penalty and play better for it because I don't want to have a penalty.  The only thing I agree with in this change is the removal of causing damage to teammates, yet even that has its place.  Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, you're gonna get hurt, that's war...  last I checked this wasn't a cooking simulator.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,078 posts
29,274 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The initial proposal was for more than fifteen hits in a single battle to be the lose-everything bar. They have now raised that significantly. 

image.thumb.png.ec7369a2a6a6de81560765b66644ee21.png

Forty hits on a single ship or fifty across all allies in the entire battle will really take some doing, even for a Smolensk or Harugumo.

This will remove any worry that you'll be unfairly penalized for those true "Oh sh*t!" accidents that sometimes happen, and it will pretty much rule out ANY possibility of trolls and griefers farming enough friendly fire to deliberately deprive someone of their earnings. Given that the friendly fire reflection will be keyed to the HP of the ship that fired the weapons, it might even be harder to induce a griefer teamkill than it is now.

Speaking as someone who almost certainly lost a three-human co-op battle last night (the other two were divisioned) because one of my 'friendly' bots torped me in the back, I'm really looking forward to this change.

^^This.  The only players that are going to be pink are those that try to become pink.  A full spread of torpedoes from a Kitakami  would be 40 hits, but that would require the player to do a 180 and continue to fire into the same ship.  

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
23,877 posts
17,862 battles
1 minute ago, WarGazm3279 said:

So if no real harm is done, why is there a penalty?

To discourage griefers who spend all their time and ordnance shooting at you instead of the enemy.

2 minutes ago, WarGazm3279 said:

I will be penalized for NOT damaging a friendly ship.

WHAT? That makes absolutely no sense. You will be penalized only if you continually fire at friendly ships instead of at the enemy. READ CAREFULLY. It will take FORTY HITS on a single ship (or fifty across all allies) over the entire battle before the teamkill penalty kicks in and you lose all your XP and credits for that battle. FORTY HITS.

You try getting FORTY accidental hits in one battle. I reckon the only ship that can do that is a Smolensk which is so zoned-in that he doesn't notice someone's driven in front of him.

For almost anything else, FORTY HITS requires deliberate, sustained effort.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[WKY02]
Beta Testers
6 posts
7,228 battles

Even if the torps wont hurt you the warning should still be there so you can avoid them and not ruin someones shot

• Cool 7

[C224]
[C224]
Members
1 post
18,873 battles

I receive a number of  feedback requests for this game. I believe the amount of play time daily, reflects that I do enjoy  it.  That said, not only do disagree with disabling friendly fire damage, I believe it should be added to weekly scenarios,

Note: Sometimes, there is a satisfaction to shooting an stupid teammate.     

• Funny 2
  • Haha 3
  • Meh 1

[GWG]
Members
7,450 posts
14,258 battles

"When a warning is issued to a player, friendly fire penalty is applied. The perpetrator receives damage in response for landing further hits on allies. The amount of damage inflicted by the friendly fire penalty depends on the perpetrator's current HP and grows with each new hit on an allied ship"

So they can still kill themselves by firing on others.
This hurts the team.   Even as worthless as they are, they still give the enemy a distraction to shoot at.

Apart from that, I agree with pretty much all the changes. 
In the past, the TK system has been an abusive griever itself.  The idea I could detonate a friendly with a single small caliber shell was stupid. 

And it was all a matter of time between the next 'Pink' event. 
If I'd been clean for 2-3 months, I start seeing single shots straying far outside the dispersion window to hit a friendly. 
It was the TK system telling it was time to turn pink again.

There will still be grievers who chase down friendly torps so they can feel superior in some twisted way.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,390 posts
10,545 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I laughed when I read this as I work to get 40 hits on any single red ship....let alone mistaken shots at a greenie...

• Funny 4

[BUOY]
Members
1,265 posts
16,582 battles
58 minutes ago, BigFishDestroyer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The threshold for the FF penalty is 40/50 main armament hits in a single match. The odds of reaching that by mere negligence / bad bots is so low it's not worth considering.

[CE]
[CE]
Members
6 posts
19,673 battles
29 minutes ago, goldenpollywog said:

Well the dumbing down of this game continues 

Indeed!

• Cool 2

[GWG]
Members
7,450 posts
14,258 battles

The old system prevented 'Pink' penalty whenever members of the same clan shot at each other.

This was also abused in that they would damage-saturate each other's bow so they could use this to absorb enemy hits.

This new system will affect the play style of these folks.

• Haha 1

[DOG]
Members
1,293 posts
13,294 battles

• If the player continues to fire at allies and scores 40 hits on the same ship or 50 hits on different ships in a single battle, they will be issued a warning. Their nickname will turn pink.

Doesn't seem to differentiate between torpedoes and guns.  So, if you're playing, say, a Kitakame, and you hit a friendly with 39 torps, you're still good?

[ARGSY]
Members
23,877 posts
17,862 battles
20 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

This hurts the team.   Even as worthless as they are, they still give the enemy a distraction to shoot at.

Yes and no. When I'm being fired upon, I take it as an indicator of where the enemy ships are. If there's a "green" firing continuously at me, that's an unnecessary distraction that messes with my situational awareness and adds a further sensory input that I have to process - where is the fire coming from, and who is doing the shooting?

I would posit that there might come a point at which sustained fire from a "friendly" becomes sufficiently distracting and disorienting that it's better to have him gone. I would venture to suggest that anyone craven and stupid enough to do something like that is going to choose a location from which the reds cannot get him.

A better solution still would be to turn him blue (as IIRC WOT does) and allow him to be fratricided, but it seems WOWS is determined not to go there.

I think eventually we're going to see a system where repeated "don't fire on your allies" warnings  less than 40 hits across multiple consecutive battles will attract a penalty, but that's for the future.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1