You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

R.I.P. James D. Hornfischer 1965-2021

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,639 posts
4,774 battles

James was known to some as a long-time WoWs player, to others as an Armchair Admiral, to naval historians everywhere as an exciting author, and to authors as a literary agent.  His books include:

• The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors
  • Ship of Ghosts
  • Neptune's Inferno (required reading for WoWs cruiser players)
  • The Fleet at Flood Tide

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/austin-tx/james-hornfischer-10217895

single-saluting-flag_1_copy_0.jpg.2980c6d152cd6242fc9f445bfb7662ab.jpg

He is terribly missed.

• Sad 7

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
9,117 posts
16,910 battles

Desperately sad news, far too young. I really enjoyed his entire Naval Bibliography, and watching him on a Stream with WOWS taking about Guadalcanal if I remember correctly. Came across as personable and likeable, and his books are certainly worth the read.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Well that sucks. I just read The Fleet At Flood Tide a couple weeks ago. RIP to him.

[N2O]
Members
45 posts
11,765 battles

Shocked and saddened. Great nautical writer. The pool of talent has been diminished and his contributions will be sorely missed.

[WOLF1]
Members
227 posts
22,462 battles

Saddened and shocked-way too young!  Have read some of his books and a few more on the wait list.

[IRERO]
Members
9 posts
4,246 battles

The National Museum of the Pacific War has created a permanent tribute in his honor. If you would like to see his work continued or want to give in his honor, you can go to their website www.pacificwarmusuem.org/join-give/tributes and specify that you are giving in his honor.

The above text was copied from the NMPW's quarterly mailer, which was how I learned of his passing. He worked frequently with them, one of his many contributions to not only the research side of naval history,  but the public outreach as well.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1