You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
frankfletcher_1

Stuck at less than 25 FPS

32 comments in this topic

[MUG-T]
Members
724 posts
4,170 battles

So, I changed my monitor for one a few inches larger.

Suddenly my FPS goes from around 35-40 down to around 17-20. I turn down all my settings as low as they go or off (except for animate small objects), which brings it back up to 20-25.

Can someone please explain how to increase it?

I have no idea what any Nvidia or RTX or graphics card means, all I know is that it says "Optiplex 3050" on the front of a Dell Windows 10.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,701 posts
10,487 battles

Did your resolution change?

I know that sometimes, I'll log in to the game, and for whatever reason, my resolution has been changed from my usual 1440 to 4k.

A monitor switch should make no difference whatsoever. Unless, and I don't know if this can happen, if your old monitor was 16:9 aspect ratio, and the new one was 21:9, maybe your PC selected a higher default resolution.

[MUG-T]
Members
724 posts
4,170 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Did your resolution change?

I know that sometimes, I'll log in to the game, and for whatever reason, my resolution has been changed from my usual 1440 to 4k.

A monitor switch should make no difference whatsoever. Unless, and I don't know if this can happen, if your old monitor was 16:9 aspect ratio, and the new one was 21:9, maybe your PC selected a higher default resolution.

I set my new resolution to 1280x720, lowest it would let me

[WOLFG]
Members
33,701 posts
10,487 battles
1 minute ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

I set my new resolution to 1280x720, lowest it would let me

What was it before?

And did you set that in the PC, or in game settings?

Edited by Skpstr

[TIMT]
Members
1,745 posts
5,643 battles

What was your monitor before, and what did you change it to?

Can you be any more specific about the hardware you have except the branding of the thing? Like a screenshot of the hardware manager or computer description.

[MUG-T]
Members
724 posts
4,170 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

What was it before?

And did you set that in the PC, or in game settings?

I'm not sure what it was before exactly, but I think it was around 1440ish x 1000+ something. I changed it in the game settings.

[MUG-T]
Members
724 posts
4,170 battles
9 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

What was your monitor before, and what did you change it to?

Can you be any more specific about the hardware you have except the branding of the thing? Like a screenshot of the hardware manager or computer description.

I'm not sure what the original one was (don't have the box, and I can't figure out what the stuff on the back means), but the new one is LG 32QK500

[TIMT]
Members
1,745 posts
5,643 battles

OK, maybe get in contact with WGs customer support and send them the check file etc. (they will tell you how).

The thing is, without at least some basic information on what has changed (previous monitors data vs current one), some more precise data on your hardware (not just the dell branding but what components are actually in there) and more concrete points of reference and not "1440ish * 1000 + something" it will be really next to impossible to diagnose what is wrong with your setup remotely.

Members
4,168 posts
14,887 battles

Simply put, you are gonna need a better video card. That type of PC come stock with integrated GPU.

Whether or not that computer can even upgrade the video card is another question. 

edit: and yes, yes I read you dont know what a video card is. But that is what is limiting your FPS. And if you want to increase your FPS, you need a better card/computer that can use it. 

Edited by Rollingonit

[TNP66]
[TNP66]
Beta Testers
2,137 posts
5,595 battles

Maybe you could get a 2,000 series nividia or a 1000 series nividia. The 3000 series are currently in the possession of mainly scalpers and there is a semi conductor shortage as well. I would start looking around for a 2070 super nividia. If there are no 2,000 series to be found then look for the 1000 series nividia. Microcenter is the place to go if your looking to upgrade. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,152 posts
4,345 battles
15 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

Maybe you could get a 2,000 series nividia or a 1000 series nividia. The 3000 series are currently in the possession of mainly scalpers and there is a semi conductor shortage as well. I would start looking around for a 2070 super nividia. If there are no 2,000 series to be found then look for the 1000 series nividia. Microcenter is the place to go if your looking to upgrade. 

Even the 1000 series are ridiculous prices right now. Also OP doesn't seem the type to be swapping out computer parts, and he seems to have a micro form factor case which probably won't take a standard GPU anyway.

1 hour ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

Suddenly my FPS goes from around 35-40 down to around 17-20. I turn down all my settings as low as they go or off (except for animate small objects), which brings it back up to 20-25.

I have no idea what any Nvidia or RTX or graphics card means, all I know is that it says "Optiplex 3050" on the front of a Dell Windows 10.

We're going to need a bit more info to help you out. A new monitor shouldn't be causing problems unless you significantly bumped up resolution. First, how old is the computer? That will let us know roughly what hardware we're dealing with.

1 hour ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

I'm not sure what the original one was (don't have the box, and I can't figure out what the stuff on the back means), but the new one is LG 32QK500

OK, that's a 1440 monitor. I'm guessing that's going to be pushing your integrated video card a bit at that resolution. That's OK, you just need to set the game resolution a bit lower. First thought let's check the system resolution. Go to the Win 10 settings menu, select System, then Display. Scroll down and you'll see the Display resolution with a drop down menu. That's going to be your overall resolution. Windows should have one of these recommended, probably the native monitor resolution at 2560 by 1440. Use that one, it's fine.

Also, go ahead and post a picture of the info on your old monitor, even though you can't understand it we might be able to. That will hopefully let us know what you were running before.

Second, let's take a look at your system hardware. Go back to the System menu in Settings, but this time select About (at the bottom of the list). This will bring up the list of components. You should see your processor and RAM listed. Let us know what those are, that way we can get an idea of what you should be able to run.

Finally the game settings. First set your resolution. The game going to try and set this to the system resolution, but don't let it do that. However, you need to make sure the aspect ratio (height and width) stay the same. The next step down should be 1920*1080. I've run that resolution with an integrated GPU at 25-30 FPS, so it should be OK. If that doesn't work you can drop it down to HD, which is 1280 by 720 IIRC. However anything relatively modern should be able to run at 1080, that's pretty much the minimum resolution for new things now.

The final thing is the refresh rate. This is how fast your monitor and actually change the picture (as opposed to FPS, which is how fast your GPU can change the picture). Your monitor can do 75 Hz (you and me actually have pretty much the same monitor as far as I can tell). If you're still having problems you can try dropping the refresh rate down. This is under the display menu, all the way at the bottom, under advanced settings.

Hopefully we can get things sorted out for you. The good news is WOWS runs fine on even potato PCs, so it's probably just a settings thing that needs to be ironed out.

[MUG-T]
Members
724 posts
4,170 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Even the 1000 series are ridiculous prices right now. Also OP doesn't seem the type to be swapping out computer parts, and he seems to have a micro form factor case which probably won't take a standard GPU anyway.

We're going to need a bit more info to help you out. A new monitor shouldn't be causing problems unless you significantly bumped up resolution. First, how old is the computer? That will let us know roughly what hardware we're dealing with.

OK, that's a 1440 monitor. I'm guessing that's going to be pushing your integrated video card a bit at that resolution. That's OK, you just need to set the game resolution a bit lower. First thought let's check the system resolution. Go to the Win 10 settings menu, select System, then Display. Scroll down and you'll see the Display resolution with a drop down menu. That's going to be your overall resolution. Windows should have one of these recommended, probably the native monitor resolution at 2560 by 1440. Use that one, it's fine.

Also, go ahead and post a picture of the info on your old monitor, even though you can't understand it we might be able to. That will hopefully let us know what you were running before.

Second, let's take a look at your system hardware. Go back to the System menu in Settings, but this time select About (at the bottom of the list). This will bring up the list of components. You should see your processor and RAM listed. Let us know what those are, that way we can get an idea of what you should be able to run.

Finally the game settings. First set your resolution. The game going to try and set this to the system resolution, but don't let it do that. However, you need to make sure the aspect ratio (height and width) stay the same. The next step down should be 1920*1080. I've run that resolution with an integrated GPU at 25-30 FPS, so it should be OK. If that doesn't work you can drop it down to HD, which is 1280 by 720 IIRC. However anything relatively modern should be able to run at 1080, that's pretty much the minimum resolution for new things now.

The final thing is the refresh rate. This is how fast your monitor and actually change the picture (as opposed to FPS, which is how fast your GPU can change the picture). Your monitor can do 75 Hz (you and me actually have pretty much the same monitor as far as I can tell). If you're still having problems you can try dropping the refresh rate down. This is under the display menu, all the way at the bottom, under advanced settings.

Hopefully we can get things sorted out for you. The good news is WOWS runs fine on even potato PCs, so it's probably just a settings thing that needs to be ironed out.

Thanks, I set the resolution to the recommended on the PC settings and the game settings to 1920x1080. 

Hz was already set to 59

After several attempts coming out too blurry, I'm just gonna type out the info that was on the back of the old monitor.

Model: S27B350H

Type no: LS27B350

Model code: LS27B350HS/ZA

DC14V 2.86a

FCC ID: A3LLS27B350

Made in Tijuana, Mexico

The ram and processor

Computer processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz        3.19 GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB, 7.89 usable

Edit: Well things got worse now I'm at 17 FPS and occasional spikes in ping

Edited by frankfletcher_1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts
59 minutes ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

Thanks, I set the resolution to the recommended on the PC settings and the game settings to 1920x1080.

The minimum listed video requirements for the game are Intel HD 4000 graphics (Passmark score 332) Your CPU has built-in Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Passmark score 989). Therefore, your system should be sufficient to run the game, just not all that well. For comparison, my old graphics card, which I installed into my system ten years ago, was a Radeon 6850. With this card I could play the game reasonably well on medium-low graphics settings. The Radeon 6850 has a Passmark score of 1984.

Your system simply is not going to play the game on anything but the lowest graphics setting and it's going to struggle with that. Also, I'd very much doubt that you are going to be able to install a better video card in your system. You could give us your computer's make and model number to check on this but usually low-end computers come with power supplies only barely able to sufficiently power the system as shipped and can't be upgraded unless a better power supply also is installed.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,152 posts
4,345 battles
2 hours ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

Hz was already set to 59

After several attempts coming out too blurry, I'm just gonna type out the info that was on the back of the old monitor.

Model: S27B350H

Type no: LS27B350

Model code: LS27B350HS/ZA

DC14V 2.86a

FCC ID: A3LLS27B350

Made in Tijuana, Mexico

The ram and processor

Computer processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz        3.19 GHz

Installed RAM: 8.00 GB, 7.89 usable

Edit: Well things got worse now I'm at 17 FPS and occasional spikes in ping

Hmm, odd. Running that model number through the google machine I get a samsung 27" at 1080/60Hz, which sounds like what you're running now. So you should be getting the same performance.

Your machine isn't great, but it's acceptable, you should be able to get 20-30 FPS at 1080 (I've done it with a similar system). 5yo machine, maybe starting to show its age?

I'd try swapping back to the old monitor. If you go back to the old levels something's up with the new monitor. If performance stays the same it's the computer. Make sure you keep your game settings the same between the monitors.

[-TRM-]
Members
0 posts

Thats a micro computer.

The one thing it isnt is a gaming computer its not. You probably are running intergrated graphics or in other words part of your RAM is being used to try and process graphics as a shared.

20 to 25 years ago we avoided anything that contained the words intergrated graphics. And learned to build our own. At that time we had the Nvidia Ti4600 card with the 128 megabyte of 3D video memory. It was a seperate card that slotted into the motherboard's PCI slot and freed up the Ram (Such as it was) and the CPU, then a Pentium 3 1600 mhz. (Smart phones today consider that a minimum)

We are well into the realm of Titan Blacks at 1xxx for Nvida and 3xxx for 4K capable cards which are enormous. Monitors are much larger, faster and hungrier in terms of how much video resolution it demands. All monitors come designed with a native resolution and refresh rate. Usually 60, some are 120 like mine and others 144 and even faster. Normal eyes run at 30 frames a second give or take. The faster your refresh per second is the sooner you are presented with game information in time to do something about it.

Computers like mine run three to four video cards, each about the size of a bible and half by itself and is supported by a power supply that is pulling 15 amps at 1400 watts from the wall constantly in addition to everything else in the box. Its about knee high and weighs almost 50 pounds. Has a radiator with 6 fans above and below to pull the heat from the CPU. And the video cards provide their own cooling. Big case fans about more than a foot across pull air across the case and out the top, two high speed Delta, Ultrakaze server class fans howl at pushing air across the case front to back. Since I am deaf its not a issue.

Im running cards that are almost 16 years old. Been through 5 total. Two have died, one is a spare. Those will be replaced with four Titan Blacks from Nvidia at some point. And the monitor will be upgraded with a 4k capable one but also capable of running HD which is 19xx times whatever that we normally game at. My system games at about 90 fps with everything on max. give or take. And thats slow. I prefer to be at 120 locked refresh but games get bloated and put more strain on my old cards. Which try to heat my home. Which means I cool it more with additional air conditioning.

Its a circle. Just recently my electrician has installed a 30 amp T plug set. That means the next computer (And my last in this lifetime potentially) will contain two 15 amp power supplies (One for video cards and fans and the other for System board and CPU etc) or one massive 30 amper in the bottom of the bigger case. Which itself is a HPTX size. Meaning very big. Like almost 3 feet tall a foot wide and two or more feet deep.

The link supplied goes to a old Micro computer mentioned by the OP. This is not a gaming machine (No offense) you can probably use this to do word documents in the office or something. But nothing that involves video.

I am struck by what Dell does NOT MENTION in it's marketing speak on that computer page. You need to be very careful and eventually learn to assemble your own computer off Newegg or tiger direct or some such at home by yourself. Only then you will see what it takes to keep up with the gaming world. I have old ex game computers still running approaching 16 years of service running internet you tube videos etc. Or music etc And simple solitare games. I am in the process of building replacements because the CPU and its cooler has almost 130,000 hours on it. That would be in human terms make us 1000 years old with all the pains to go with it. Ugh.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-3050-micro/spd/optiplex-3050-micro

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,842 posts
21,586 battles

Check your video cable too for a FPS bottleneck. If you have a personal display connection on the video card that will get you a higher refresh rate using one. I found HDMI limits you to <=75hz refresh rate.

Edit the file if you have a monitor refresh rate >75hz
C:\Games\World_of_Warships_NA\bin\<version level release>\res\

Edit engine_config.xml

Check for this entry for <maxFrameRate>, default is set for 75. For me my example, my monitor is a 165 Hz refresh rate. I change it to below.
 <maxFrameRate>165</maxFrameRate>

To identify your video board
TechPowerUp GPU-Z (freeware)
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

To clear up old video driver trash - To use this software you must be in safe mode
Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.9  (freeware)
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Suggestions 
- ID video board and download the latest drivers
- use DDU to clear old drivers. This program will un-install the drivers
- Install the latest video drivers
- Verify which hard drive setup you have first. If SATA drive defrag the drive, or if SSD drive leave it alone.
- downgrade the WoWS video quality in the WoWS settings until FPS increases
- use ModStation software to adjust for low FPS - you can set your FPS to 30 or 60 FPS
- check to see if any apps are running in the background while playing WoWS. Kill or disable the apps from startup

Good luck on your finds.

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Members
70 posts

Notser put out a video a while back on how to change your fps in the game file. It worked for me on my old comp. It would be worth a shot.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,270 posts

Looking back at the responses I see a lot of good advice. However, we are probably overwhelming the OP with too much technical information as he has stated that he doesn't really even know what a graphics card is.

Really, the info we need now is the make and model of his computer so we can ascertain its capabilities and if it even is up-gradable.

Edited by Snargfargle

[-TRM-]
Members
0 posts
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Looking back at the responses I see a lot of good advice. However, we are probably overwhelming the OP with too much technical information as he has stated that he doesn't really even know what a graphics card is.

Really, the info we need now is the make and model of his computer so we can ascertain its capabilities and if it even is up-gradable.

The micro computer isnt upgradable. Not unless they make a titan black the size of say a match book. There literally inst enough computer space inside the box nor the power to feed a new card. Some of which are probably almost as big as that micro box being talked about by OP.

Annually after E3 you can buy dual nvidia or AMD video card equipped laptops for about 500 or so give or take bids on the bay the week after event conclusion as they dispose of them.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 1

[X-PN]
Members
1,788 posts
12,910 battles
34 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

The micro computer isnt upgradable. Not unless they make a titan black the size of say a match book. There literally inst enough computer space inside the box nor the power to feed a new card. Some of which are probably almost as big as that micro box being talked about by OP.

Annually after E3 you can buy dual nvidia or AMD video card equipped laptops for about 500 or so give or take bids on the bay the week after event conclusion as they dispose of them.

Didn't know that.  I'll look into it this year.... however things are different this year with supply being tight on all things with chips in them, so wouldn't surprise me if no bargains materialize this year...

BTW - I would suggest the OP re-connect his old monitor (if it still works) to see if his FPS goes back up.... so you can isolate what the issue is.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[-TRM-]
Members
0 posts
16 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

Didn't know that.  I'll look into it this year.... however things are different this year with supply being tight on all things with chips in them, so wouldn't surprise me if no bargains materialize this year...

BTW - I would suggest the OP re-connect his old monitor (if it still works) to see if his FPS goes back up.... so you can isolate what the issue is.

The chip problem has halted auto production. My trucker friends have stated that Louisville KY has a race course of some kind with about 20,000 trucks stored due to no chips. They continued production (Make work...) without chips in them. Stored the vehicles by the tens of thousands anywhere they can park em. When the chips come in later this year or next year they can haul all those trucks back to the factory and put the chips in.

There are I think 5 to 10 new chip plants for Computer parts specifically being readied to be built in Arizona. It will be a few years before they are online. Computer cards and other parts on chips is about out of order, back ordered with no dates, and essentially unobtainable right now. So there is no point. Even if you did find older parts with the chips in them, prices are two to three times previous high MSRP due to supply constraints against massive demand. The whales will get it at any price.

My personal vehicle dates all the way to the mid 90'\s the computers in them are solid state hardwired for very simple things. I will never buy anything newer than that truck. Never. Rented a few modern 2021 vehicles this year and they were full of computer reports demanding shop attention. Piles of defects inside of them begging for attention.

In fact I turned back and refused two of the rentals due to neglect. Bald tires, bad front ends and excessive computer complaints making driving pretty risky. For a full size car its almost a thousand dollars put onto your credit card before you get the keys, should you return the vehcile in good condition you end up paying about 500 per 5 days.

Several of my stores that engage in electronics on a very small scale for hobbies such as model railroading etc which uses computer power and processing chips for a variety of functions to control the engines in real time, has told me that container rates for imports have gone from 4000 dollars a 20 foot box to about 20,000 dollars per 20 foot box. Bigger boxes cost upwards of 30,000. Some of the manufactorers importing from Asia has begun to impose a 3 to 5% increase in all pricing each month on the month until the shortages resolve in a few years. At this rate a 400 dollar choo choo is going to be about 600 dollars by new years day. Twice that a year from now. All because they cannot get the containers to ship them here combined with the spiraling costs in getting any computer chips to put in them.

Edited by xHeavy

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts
13 hours ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

go into the menu on the monitor, look for quality or mhz, newer monitors have their own settings

[JOV-]
Members
20 posts
7,324 battles

You might consider subscribing to Nvidia GeForce Now. It allows you to stream WOWS from their servers, so essentially you'd be playing on a high-end gaming computer. I've been using it for about a year and get a constant 75 fps with around 35 ping. It cost about 5 dollars a month, so for the cost of a new graphics card you could subscribe for 5 to 10 years.

Edited to add that you can use the highest graphic settings and get 75 fps.

Edited by bronx182

[TIMT]
Members
1,745 posts
5,643 battles

Have you installed the correct drivers, what settings are you using?

And, this might sound stupid, are you using the correct display output (the one on the graphics card, not the motherboard)?

Any other software (antivirus etc.) running in background?