You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_DukeofYork

This is the most unsatisfying shooter in the world because of RNG

27 comments in this topic

Members
1,597 posts
1,608 battles

I don't blame any specific ship type; I'm not shaking the finger at any demographic or interest group on this forum - this affects every boat in the game. All I'm saying is this: when people do unwise things, and you are shooting straight at them, and you get nothing but ricochets and belt hits (so you hit them... but you don't do anything, in spite of them going full broadside or whatever)... that sucks. I don't know of any other FPS type game (which this undoubtedly is) - EVEN WORLD OF TANKS - where someone "sticks their head over the trench," and you have them in your sights, and pull the trigger... and nothing happens. Moreover, random "what the hell did I just see?" events against are equally unhappy. Just last game, I was citadeled through the bow on a Scharnhorst by a Caracciolo at 15km. I have no idea how that's possible - obviously, it is. But is it common? No. It's like being struck by lightning. And it sucks.

Again, I'm not singling out any ship type - I play cruisers more than BBs lately, so the above example isn't somehow me QQing about German BBs or something. But... Jesus Christ... how is this randomness fun? How is it rewarding skill? Almost no other RTS defaults to this random nonsense for good reason: because there are enough people making critical mistakes that matches can be fast and furious without layering some kind of heavy roulette on top of the gunplay. 

That's all I had. 

• Cool 7
  • Boring 2

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,586 battles

Just last game, I was citadeled through the bow on a Scharnhorst by a Caracciolo at 15km

image.thumb.png.a23218d5b76ffe33ecced543f4fa59f5.png

image.png.3afd594d8034e949d3ff31308a7722b1.png

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds#AP_overmatch

image.thumb.png.fe4f7ceb90838826af232b3bca022787.png

381s will go right through that upper bow, and continue to penetrate more than 400mm of armor.

image.thumb.png.7f5f5d278387b46a470030262efd0c2d.png

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,571 posts
11 minutes ago, AviationCruiser_Mogami said:

That's all I had.

That is a valid opinion, and one that might be shared by others.  Here's another perspective.  I like the game because its more complex.  It's not about the person that can shoot the fastest/best, its more about the people that know how to exploit a complex set of mechanics.  When game becomes more about shooting than positioning, I'll likely move on.  With things like CVs, and now the new airstrike, where every position is intended to be punished, the game becomes more and more like every other shooter.  Maybe you will like that, I don't.

[WORX]
Members
14,297 posts
20,867 battles
32 minutes ago, AviationCruiser_Mogami said:

That's all I had. 

An addendum to @Slimeball91 Post... Its an arcade game NOT a sim...

So your expectations are moot to the reality of the DEVs...

Members
1,152 posts
47 minutes ago, AviationCruiser_Mogami said:

I don't blame any specific ship type; I'm not shaking the finger at any demographic or interest group on this forum - this affects every boat in the game. All I'm saying is this: when people do unwise things, and you are shooting straight at them, and you get nothing but ricochets and belt hits (so you hit them... but you don't do anything, in spite of them going full broadside or whatever)... that sucks. I don't know of any other FPS type game (which this undoubtedly is) - EVEN WORLD OF TANKS - where someone "sticks their head over the trench," and you have them in your sights, and pull the trigger... and nothing happens. Moreover, random "what the hell did I just see?" events against are equally unhappy. Just last game, I was citadeled through the bow on a Scharnhorst by a Caracciolo at 15km. I have no idea how that's possible - obviously, it is. But is it common? No. It's like being struck by lightning. And it sucks.

Again, I'm not singling out any ship type - I play cruisers more than BBs lately, so the above example isn't somehow me QQing about German BBs or something. But... Jesus Christ... how is this randomness fun? How is it rewarding skill? Almost no other RTS defaults to this random nonsense for good reason: because there are enough people making critical mistakes that matches can be fast and furious without layering some kind of heavy roulette on top of the gunplay. 

That's all I had. 

use to be a great game but wows started listening to people and now look at what we got ...

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,544 posts

Eh, the RNG is a source of enjoyment for me sometimes.  As you said, I can go play just about any other game and if a player is good enough, they can no scope one shot from across the map with laser accuracy.  Literally any FPS on steam or whatever, will give me that.

Sometimes the crazy stuff that happens in WoWs, is what makes it fun and entertaining.  It's not so RNG that skill doesn't matter, it does.  It's just enough RNG to keep it interesting though.

Funny story,  I was once in a random match in a BB and had to sneeze.  I was holding it back because my guns were just about reloaded and figured I would sneeze after the shot.  Didn't work, sneezed right as clicked the button and my hand twitched the mouse to the side a little. 3 citadels.....lulz.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,813 posts
22,652 battles

It's trash because the good players were nailing 6+ people in the citadel all day long in the alpha, so they make it a salt shaker spray of shells to keep bad player alive longer.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,020 posts

Get close enough so that RNG does not matter.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,690 posts
7,321 battles

Remove the element of randomness and you remove what keeps many players alive time and time again.

Dunno how many would be happy with that.

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
564 posts
7,523 battles

RNG is needed in this game, it'll never be as bad as it is in WoT though.

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,799 battles
26 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Remove the element of randomness and you remove what keeps many players alive time and time again.

Dunno how many would be happy with that.

Battles would be quicker, I don't see the problem with that. They could make it a more accurate game mode and see what people like more. The RNG can at times, be really crappy, which is frustrating. I do wish they would at least lighten it up a bit.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,147 posts
26,918 battles
2 hours ago, Compassghost said:

image.thumb.png.a23218d5b76ffe33ecced543f4fa59f5.png

image.png.3afd594d8034e949d3ff31308a7722b1.png

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds#AP_overmatch

image.thumb.png.fe4f7ceb90838826af232b3bca022787.png

381s will go right through that upper bow, and continue to penetrate more than 400mm of armor.

image.thumb.png.7f5f5d278387b46a470030262efd0c2d.png

I can't see any images but reading the situation... Pretty much.  The ITA BB player saw the advantage he had, 381mm AP against Mid Tier BB extremities, and took the shot.  If he hit, he'd get a payday.  There's RNG in terms of dispersion, being able to hit, but if the CaracchioLOLOL's AP hit on the bow, the payoff will be big and that isn't RNG.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SALVO]
Members
26,698 posts
32,031 battles
19 hours ago, AviationCruiser_Mogami said:

That's all I had. 

If you want a game that doesn't use RNG, play chess.  Other than that, pretty much every other game in existence uses some form of RNG.   Period.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1

Members
1,152 posts
55 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Get close enough so that RNG does not matter.

it gets worse alot of the time ...seems like a big drag on your ship and the game slows down ... shells fire slow ....it screws you for no legitimate reason

[B2P]
Members
24 posts
437 battles

Be thankful you weren't the Richelieu I citadelled through the bow at 15km with Jean Bart.

[CUDA]
Members
619 posts
9,455 battles

Part of the feel of the game is RNG. If you don't like it find ships with less dispersion.

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,785 posts
11,434 battles

If RNG wasn't part of the game, then players with more game and ship knowledge would always make the perfect shot every time.  It would be a bad time for casual players, which makes up the majority of the player base.  Shooting with ships is somewhat like shooting with a shot gun.  You don't control every piece of shot, just the general direction they go in.  The shot does stay within the dispersion ellipse, so your accuracy still does matter.

Members
2,873 posts
94 battles
3 hours ago, arch4random said:

use to be a great game but wows started listening to people and now look at what we got ...

I thought WoWS doesn't listen to the people? 

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,020 posts
18 minutes ago, Murcc said:

If RNG wasn't part of the game, then players with more game and ship knowledge would always make the perfect shot every time.  It would be a bad time for casual players, which makes up the majority of the player base.  Shooting with ships is somewhat like shooting with a shot gun.  You don't control every piece of shot, just the general direction they go in.  The shot does stay within the dispersion ellipse, so your accuracy still does matter.

155mm Artillery has a beaten zone of about 700 yards at 20 miles. If you fired any number of rounds from that to the circle its going to be somewhere in that 700 yard circle.

Precision weapons reduce that to essentially nothing. The round fired if guided or lased or GPS etc will arrive within a foot if that ...

In WW2 one of the Italian BB's on her way to surrender and internship at Gibraltar was sunk by a german air to ground radio guided missile outright. 1400 were lost.

To another poster, the game slowing a little bit in close combat is a function of your connection and server response keeping up with you and all objects in your immediate zone. If I needed a connection fast enough to keep up in close in fights, I use either fiber optic or a tethered USB smartphone which is the same as Fiber Optic in terms of latency (Essentially nothing) and up and down speeds. The computer is plenty beefy enough to keep up. Everything else falls on the server. And once in a while its late. Hence the game slow down in knife fights.

Edited by xHeavy

Members
1,152 posts
4 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

I thought WoWS doesn't listen to the people? 

they listen .....just all ideas are not good ideas...

[TDRB]
Members
5,394 posts
13,743 battles
8 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

That is a valid opinion, and one that might be shared by others.  Here's another perspective.  I like the game because its more complex.  It's not about the person that can shoot the fastest/best, its more about the people that know how to exploit a complex set of mechanics.  When game becomes more about shooting than positioning, I'll likely move on.  With things like CVs, and now the new airstrike, where every position is intended to be punished, the game becomes more and more like every other shooter.  Maybe you will like that, I don't.

There is no skill nor strategy when the damage you do is 100% due to a "roll of the dice". I've had battles where I got citadels by hitting a radar mask or clipped the fantail. Other days ricochets & non-pens would be the best I could do. There is a reason RNG is referred to as a god. Over the years I seen many say if your RNG is bad, log off & try later.

The WG sets RNG parameters & the odds are the golden bb or magic bullet hits & the days of can't hit a bull in the backside with a bass fiddle are few & far between. 

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,586 battles
1 hour ago, kgh52 said:

There is no skill nor strategy when the damage you do is 100% due to a "roll of the dice". I've had battles where I got citadels by hitting a radar mask or clipped the fantail. Other days ricochets & non-pens would be the best I could do. There is a reason RNG is referred to as a god. Over the years I seen many say if your RNG is bad, log off & try later.

The WG sets RNG parameters & the odds are the golden bb or magic bullet hits & the days of can't hit a bull in the backside with a bass fiddle are few & far between. 

I mean, If you want less RNG involved in your gameplay, you can use torpedoes or smaller ships which have lower dispersion. If fighting in DDs was a literal game of chance I wouldn’t have such a high hit rate in mine.

[NSEW]
Members
2,582 posts
12,112 battles
2 hours ago, Compassghost said:

I mean, If you want less RNG involved in your gameplay, you can use torpedoes or smaller ships which have lower dispersion. If fighting in DDs was a literal game of chance I wouldn’t have such a high hit rate in mine.

@OP I'd have to say stick with RN DDs with single fire torps with smallest margin of RNG.  But RN DDs aren't really torp boats so, there's that. 

As for RNG with torpedoes, or lesser dispersion in lower tiers. I tend to disagree.

Beta Testers
1,040 posts
4,720 battles
14 hours ago, AviationCruiser_Mogami said:

That's all I had. 

Oh World of Tanks is vastly worse. The exact same shot to the same spot can produce unavoidable instant death or nothing. 

WoWS guns always do the same pen and same damage.

[NONE]
Members
4,071 posts
12,573 battles

RNG is what it is, but de-synch issues also contribute to those wonderful ":etc_swear:???" moments.