You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheRedQueenRoG1

new player questions

94 comments in this topic

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles

hey so just started playing a few weeks ago and some things just plain don't make any sense? like whats the purpose of the repair cooldown being so freaking long? is there seriously only one guy that can fight fires and then needs a smoke break before running down the entire length of the ship to stop flooding? I just don't get it except for intense ranked battles maybe..  but for a PvE match where you get set on fire within the first minute, and then every 30 seconds after that from secondary fire or 20 torps coming at you from all directions just... *why*...? its cancerous to be blunt about it, I've died more times due to waiting on some stupid arbitrary clock than I have from enemy fire or torpedo damage itself, is there any way to reduce the cooldown significantly or why is it even a "thing" to begin with? is there a perk to temporarily disable guns but speed up the cooldown or other similar "all hands on repair" feature i guess?

Other question/comment is so I tried aircraft carriers and why are the planes so freaking brittle? I can't even get within firing distance before being shot down 90% of the time, and the rare 10% I can actually get close enough theres a weird firing delay?!? what gives with that? 

and lastly, for operations i think its called? i got a tier 6 and tried it, but then my boat got locked out of them for a half hour or 70k credits? wth is up with that? "sorry you won the mission, have a penalty timer" ??? :etc_swear: but... WHY? and why is it only tier 6? are there more for later tiers?
im glad to see more objective oriented missions like that but totally off-putting with the penalty timer and tier limitation.

trying to like this game but some mechanics really leave me scratching my head

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,377 posts
14,220 battles

welcome to the game. 

Repair party management is a thing. learn not to immediately hit the repair on your first issue. 

on the next two topics, you swat the bees nest.  

in short, CVs are seen as overpowered, however, in Coop, the red clump up, and engage quick. the AA is really strong, so your planes are getting knocked out. you will want to be more strategic about your deployment. 

Scenarios are just a couple of tiers and a few scenarios.  outside of WG protecting their interests and making sure players don't over farm resources in the mode, I am unsure why there was a timer put in place post a game.  In my opinion, It should be like all the other modes: wait for the ship to return to port is penalty enough

Edited by skillztowin
  • Funny 1

[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,544 posts

What would be the point of fires and floods on surface ships, if you could just mash the repair button every 2 seconds and fix it?  Managing when to use that ability and when to save it so you get more value from it, is a game mechanic.

For the CV question, learning to dodge flak (the black clouds), is part of learning to play CVs.  It will help you to keep a lot more planes.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,354 battles
28 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

hey so just started playing a few weeks ago and some things just plain don't make any sense? like whats the purpose of the repair cooldown being so freaking long? is there seriously only one guy that can fight fires and then needs a smoke break before running down the entire length of the ship to stop flooding? I just don't get it except for intense ranked battles maybe..  but for a PvE match where you get set on fire within the first minute, and then every 30 seconds after that from secondary fire or 20 torps coming at you from all directions just... *why*...? its cancerous to be blunt about it, I've died more times due to waiting on some stupid arbitrary clock than I have from enemy fire or torpedo damage itself, is there any way to reduce the cooldown significantly or why is it even a "thing" to begin with? is there a perk to temporarily disable guns but speed up the cooldown or other similar "all hands on repair" feature i guess?

Remember there are ships which depend on fires and floods for damage, if you could damage-con instantly that would make fires and floods kind of pointless. This way you have to manage your DCP usage. You're a BB, you have lots of HP and and a heal. You can take a fire or two burning. Rule #1 of BBs is never use DCP on the first fire, one fire is not going to sink you. Even two is OK. Just let them burn out on their own and heal up the damage later. This way you don't extinguish one and then instantly get two more set. Consumable management is a key skill for ships, sounds like you need a bit more practice. And if you're in a position where you're constantly getting set on fire or flooding chances are a DCP isn't going to help, you've over extended and are going to die anyway. Positioning is key.

There are ways to mitigate fire damage. The damage control upgrades reduce the chance of fire or flood and reduce fire burn duration. The Fire prevention skill limits the number of fires that can simultaneously burn on your ship from 4 to 3 and reduces chance of fire by 10%. Specifically it makes the superstructure one fire area instead of two, and because this is the easiest part to hit it significantly reduces how often you're on fire. There is also a skill to reduce burn time and one that reduces DCP cooldown (forget what they're called now). So if you build right you can really cut down on fire damage, this kind of build is very common for BBs.

Other question/comment is so I tried aircraft carriers and why are the planes so freaking brittle? I can't even get within firing distance before being shot down 90% of the time, and the rare 10% I can actually get close enough theres a weird firing delay?!? what gives with that? 

Dodge the flak. Those black clouds obliterate planes. But they spawn based on where the system predicts your planes will be. If you actively turn and dodge this will throw off the aim and you should be able to dodge most of those clouds and avoid most damage. There is continuous AA damage applied, but this shouldn't be much of an issue. Avoid grouped up ships, their overlapping AA make flak very hard to dodge and the continuous AA starts to add up.

The delay is part of the system. First left click starts the attack run (only some of your planes actually start the attack, the others stay back for another attack). This is when you really start to aim, once the reticle is where you want click again to actually drop ordnance. Sounds like you need some more practice here. Suggest trying Coop until you get it down. This is definitely a you issue, as CVs are pretty busted against surface ships.

and lastly, for operations i think its called? i got a tier 6 and tried it, but then my boat got locked out of them for a half hour or 70k credits? wth is up with that? "sorry you won the mission, have a penalty timer" ??? :etc_swear: but... WHY? and why is it only tier 6? are there more for later tiers?
im glad to see more objective oriented missions like that but totally off-putting with the penalty timer and tier limitation.

trying to like this game but some mechanics really leave me scratching my head

It's to prevent people from spamming them, or quitting out. Just run another ship for the cooldown, or pay the 70K, you should make way more than that from a good Op.

• Cool 1

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles

I should clarify its not hitting it as soon as a fire or flood happens, was told by a friend to wait for 2 or 3 to hit it which I do, but then IMMEDIATELY happens again from a salvo across the map, and again, rinse/repeat again,  thats the annoying part, and didn't mean like an *instant* cooldown, but maybe like 20 or 30 seconds? but increase damage-tick of occurrences by 15% or so to help counter it? not sure what ship may rely on setting fires or anything but seems more like a per-ship issue then and not game mechanic in general?

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles
21 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

It's to prevent people from spamming them, or quitting out. Just run another ship for the cooldown, or pay the 70K, you should make way more than that from a good Op.

so do they pay significantly more than normal missions? I only made like 8k profit after paying to "free" my ship (i thought it was locked for good across any mode) and just never really seen much reason to them other than better mission design. doesn't quitting out incur a penalty of any sort?

[SLI]
9,544 posts
19 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

I should clarify its not hitting it as soon as a fire or flood happens, was told by a friend to wait for 2 or 3 to hit it which I do, but then IMMEDIATELY happens again from a salvo across the map, and again, rinse/repeat again,  thats the annoying part, and didn't mean like an *instant* cooldown, but maybe like 20 or 30 seconds? but increase damage-tick of occurrences by 15% or so to help counter it? not sure what ship may rely on setting fires or anything but seems more like a per-ship issue then and not game mechanic in general?

Damage from fire is absolutely a game mechanic.  Some ships completely depend on it.

A ship like Austin, doesn't even have AP.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

Damage from fire is absolutely a game mechanic.  Some ships completely depend on it.

A ship like Austin, doesn't even have AP.

yea I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a game mechanic, I'm just saying it seems a bit absurd that it can happen so often while the repair party has a very long cooldown even when waiting for multiple fires before activating
no idea what an Austin is, but again sounds like a per-ship issue then to me? I'm just saying as a (relative) outsider looking in that seems more like a boat issue to not have AP

• Thanks 1

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles

tried carrier again and... i just don't get it, is there a way to change altitude or anything other than "wiggling" the planes to help avoid flak or? the AA clumping issue is the real killer i guess, that and by the time i even get halfway to a target its already dead

the torpedo aim time thing is just UGH... is there a way to make it not-so-abysmal?

shot-21.05.27_11.55.45-0334.jpg

[SLI]
9,544 posts
3 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

yea I'm not saying that it shouldn't be a game mechanic, I'm just saying it seems a bit absurd that it can happen so often while the repair party has a very long cooldown even when waiting for multiple fires before activating
no idea what an Austin is, but again sounds like a per-ship issue then to me? I'm just saying as a (relative) outsider looking in that seems more like a boat issue to not have AP

Some ships specialize in certain areas of the game or at killing certain types of ships.  I just used Austin as an extreme example. (It murders DDs).

At the end of the day, burning to death is an intended mechanic in this game.  It's going to happen.  A lot.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles

Some ships specialize in certain areas of the game or at killing certain types of ships.  I just used Austin as an extreme example. (It murders DDs).

At the end of the day, burning to death is an intended mechanic in this game.  It's going to happen.  A lot.

ok I think it was a perspective issue on my part then, I took game mechanic as in general mechanic, not a "this is meant to actually be the cause of 75% of your total deaths" mechanic, was thinking more like maybe 5 or 10% from simply being unlucky, and the rest being actually shot at

[SLI]
9,544 posts
7 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

tried carrier again and... i just don't get it, is there a way to change altitude or anything other than "wiggling" the planes to help avoid flak or? the AA clumping issue is the real killer i guess, that and by the time i even get halfway to a target its already dead

the torpedo aim time thing is just UGH... is there a way to make it not-so-abysmal?

shot-21.05.27_11.55.45-0334.jpg

No you can't control altitude.  Dodging flak is predicting where it is going to be (generally) and weaving between what pops around you.  There are tons of CV training videos on youtube.  Watching them helps a lot.

[SLI]
9,544 posts
1 minute ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

ok I think it was a perspective issue on my part then, I took game mechanic as in general mechanic, not a "this is meant to actually be the cause of 75% of your total deaths" mechanic, was thinking more like maybe 5 or 10% from simply being unlucky, and the rest being actually shot at

Yeah I don't know the exact number of ships that go down to fire but it is waaaaaay more than 5-10%.  Fire is one of the major mechanics of the game.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah I don't know the exact number of ships that go down to fire but it is waaaaaay more than 5-10%.  Fire is one of the major mechanics of the game.

almost a shame (again outsider perspective) much rather get a death (or kill) from a "real" fight and not some secondary mechanic thats a bit too common... seems like im lighting like 20 fires a game, its disgusting compared to what I figured this game would be about

but, good to know

[SALVO]
Members
9,420 posts
6,928 battles

Hi, welcome to the game and forums

1 hour ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

like whats the purpose of the repair cooldown being so freaking long?

It is another resource you have to manage. Properly managing your DCP and Repair is vital to your survival. There are some skills and modules you can equip on your ship to shorten the length of fires and the cooldown of your consumables. That being said, in PvE it is expected you'll be set on fire a lot of the time, but as matches are usually very short there's usually not enough time to get you roasted. My tip here is try to control the amount of aggro you draw from the bots, if you are burning too much let another guy take the lead and draw aggro.

I tried aircraft carriers and why are the planes so freaking brittle? 

If you are interested in carriers watch this guy's content:

It is easy to digest and understand for rookies.

and lastly, for operations i think its called? i got a tier 6 and tried it, but then my boat got locked out of them for a half hour or 70k credits? wth is up with that?

That's the way it is and it sucks. Sadly WG isn't too interested in investing in further development of Ops atm. A lot of us want that stance to change, join the club.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,236 posts
4,354 battles
Just now, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

It's definitely one of the major damage sources, 75% of your deaths shouldn't be from fire (consumable management goes a LONG way toward mitigating fires), but if you play BB you're going to take a lot of fire damage. Also a good fire prevention build helps.

23 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

so do they pay significantly more than normal missions? I only made like 8k profit after paying to "free" my ship (i thought it was locked for good across any mode) and just never really seen much reason to them other than better mission design. doesn't quitting out incur a penalty of any sort?

No such thing as missions in the way you're talking. They should pay about the same as a Random battle at the same tier. Though I know their XP is bugged right now, so that might be affecting things. The best option is just to cycle through a couple T6 ships though.

11 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

Austin was designed to not have AP, it has SAP instead. Ships are designed for different types of damage, some of them rely on fires. Wide variety of ships.

9 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

You can't change altitude except by starting the attack. I think you're main problem is you need practice, it takes a bit to get the hang of lining up your attacks, dodging flak, picking your target, and getting used to the reticle. You'll find it gets easier over time.

Torpedo reticle is by design, it prevents the CV from just dumping a tight spread after turning so the target has a chance to dodge. There are skills and upgrades which reduce aim time, but mostly it's learning where to start your attack so you get a good drop off. Practice, practice, practice. You only have 6 CV games, keep on working you'll get the hang of it.

HOLD ON: I found your problem, your one and only CV is Graf Zepplin. You're trying to deal with T10 level AA with 6 CV games? In a German T8 CV? Yeah, that's why you're getting shredded. German CVs have paper planes to start with. And T8 AA is no joke. You need to get yourself a Langly or Hosho and get in practice at T4. Learn how to play CV before jumping into the hardest CV for new players, a German T8 CV. This is exactly why we discourage people from buying premiums above their tech tree level, you have know clue what you're doing and are getting obliterated by the bots. Go down to T4, learn to play, work your way up. By the time you reach T8 you'll be a heck of a lot better.

[SLI]
9,544 posts
8 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

almost a shame (again outsider perspective) much rather get a death (or kill) from a "real" fight and not some secondary mechanic thats a bit too common... seems like im lighting like 20 fires a game, its disgusting compared to what I figured this game would be about

but, good to know

A "real" fight in this game is often not "lets meet in the middle and slug it out".  The real fight in this game, is often putting yourself in a position that gives you an advantage and the red ship a disadvantage. 

As you go up in tiers you will find that this often means a ship turning you into a blazing inferno, from behind and island or in smoke, and you can't even shoot back at it.

This game is a lot more complicated that it first appears.  Positioning is everything.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

A "real" fight in this game is often not "lets meet in the middle and slug it out".  The real fight in this game, is often putting yourself in a position that gives you an advantage and the red ship a disadvantage. 

As you go up in tiers you will find that this often means a ship turning you into a blazing inferno, from behind and island or in smoke, and you can't even shoot back at it.

This game is a lot more complicated that it first appears.  Positioning is everything.

yea been taking a liking to island ambushes and out-maneuvering as well, but  eh i dunno... if thats what high tier meta is maybe this isnt the game for me then, seems like its less complicated and more RNG meme crap
or could be perspective thing again, to me "complicated" implies tactical movement and baiting of an enemy and then knowing where and when to hit them... not "just have this guy spotted and shoot him behind an island" as thats how its sounding

• Cool 1

[SLI]
9,544 posts
6 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

yea been taking a liking to island ambushes and out-maneuvering as well, but  eh i dunno... if thats what high tier meta is maybe this isnt the game for me then, seems like its less complicated and more RNG meme crap
or could be perspective thing again, to me "complicated" implies tactical movement and baiting of an enemy and then knowing where and when to hit them... not "just have this guy spotted and shoot him behind an island" as thats how its sounding

If you really don't like burning, this is not the game for you.

Fires are not a secondary mechanic, they are a core mechanic.  RNG, is also a core mechanic. The whole game is impacted by it.  Not the the degree that you have no say, your decisions absolutely make the difference, but RNG is certainly a thing that will cause you to change your plan.

[FOXY]
Members
3,226 posts
8,096 battles

The BOTS in coop i swear are programmed to set fires on their salvo against any new ship they encounter, just one of the differences with that mode. Managing that is a bit harder ill agree.

The Austin is a tier 10 U.S light cruiser it shoots SAP like the Italian ships. I wasnt aware it lacked ap entirely however.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles
11 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

HOLD ON: I found your problem, your one and only CV is Graf Zepplin. You're trying to deal with T10 level AA with 6 CV games? In a German T8 CV? Yeah, that's why you're getting shredded. German CVs have paper planes to start with. And T8 AA is no joke. You need to get yourself a Langly or Hosho and get in practice at T4. Learn how to play CV before jumping into the hardest CV for new players, a German T8 CV. This is exactly why we discourage people from buying premiums above their tech tree level, you have know clue what you're doing and are getting obliterated by the bots. Go down to T4, learn to play, work your way up. By the time you reach T8 you'll be a heck of a lot better.

was other tier 8s as well, so does tier make THAT much difference? and national stats being a big impact on performance?
I was just told to buy this so .. :shrug: idunno

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,626 posts
24,246 battles
30 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

In Xo-Op, bots have a "special" ability that set up a fire almost every time. It's not so common in randoms. If you hoover the mouse in port over the artillery, it shows the % chance with all modifiers applied for the ship. In randoms  it's quite accurate, for the red bots in Co-Op, no

[SLI]
9,544 posts
3 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

The BOTS in coop i swear are programmed to set fires on their salvo against any new ship they encounter, just one of the differences with that mode. Managing that is a bit harder ill agree.

The Austin is a tier 10 U.S light cruiser it shoots SAP like the Italian ships. I wasnt aware it lacked ap entirely however.

Austin has the choice between SAP and HE.  It has no AP.

[SLI]
9,544 posts
7 minutes ago, TheRedQueenRoG1 said:

was other tier 8s as well, so does tier make THAT much difference? and national stats being a big impact on performance?
I was just told to buy this so .. :shrug: idunno

Jumping right a higher tier premium ship is almost always a mistake for a new player.

Moving up a tech tree line, teaches how to play that line.  It teaches you building lessons as you move up.  Jumping right toward the end, has to assume that you already know the basics.  If you don't, it can be learning the hard way, especially for a new player.

I would advise not buying any more premiums and grinding up a tech tree line of ships.  Especially for a brand new player. Nations for sure each have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Knowing them is very important.

[T_M_F]
Members
38 posts
297 battles

Jumping right a higher tier premium ship is almost always a mistake for a new player.

Moving up a tech tree line, teaches how to play that line.  It teaches you building lessons as you move up.  Jumping right toward the end, has to assume that you already know the basics.  If you don't, it can be learning the hard way, especially for a new player.

I would advise not buying any more premiums and grinding up a tech tree line of ships.  Especially for a brand new player.

Nations for sure each have their own strengths and weaknesses.  Knowing them is very important.

welp I was misled then, I was told to get the Tirpitz (ton of fun, just had my best game in it today) and the Graf Zep (my worst games haha)
totally knew nothing about the national differences though, or just assumed they would be relatively tiny and negligible

and thanks for all your help/replies so far