You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
gebert906

Disabling Damage To Allies - 0.10.5

30 comments in this topic

[G-4W]
Members
226 posts
7,896 battles

From the 0.10.5 Dev Bulletin:

In Update 0.10.5, we are disabling the ability to cause damage to allies. This change will have a positive impact on gameplay—your teammates won't be able to damage or destroy your ship now.

Main changes

• You can no longer damage allied ships, disable their modules, cause detonation, or destroy them. You can't damage allies by ramming them either.
  • At the same time, all armament types will still hit allied ships. For example, you won't be able to launch torpedoes at an enemy through an allied ship.
  • A warning for unsportsmanlike behavior will now be issued for a certain number of hits on allied ships with any armament type, except for secondary battery hits. You can now be issued a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior only if you hit allied ships with torpedoes and main battery shells 15 times or more.
  • If you continue to break the rules, you will be banned from all battle types, except for Co-op, Clan, and Training Battles.
  • Additionally, you won't earn any Credits or XP for any battle in which you receive the warning for attacking your teammates. If you don't break the rules in your next battles, any resources you earn will be credited to you as usual.
  • The return damage that a ship receives as a penalty for hitting teammates will grow with each subsequent hit on an allied ship.
  • Camera effects that indicate incoming damage won't be active for a ship that is hit by an ally.
  • The warning about allied torpedoes has also been removed, since they can no longer inflict damage.

Not sure how I feel about this. While there will be ramifications to a player for hitting allies, the potential of damaging teammates with torps, and guns at times, made me more situationally aware to try to not be “that guy”. I even think that ramming allies should cause more damage than it currently does in an effort to encourage more map awareness. I do think WG should at least keep the ally torp warnings so that you can still try to avoid eating some of your teammates’ salvo. Is teamkilling this big of an issue? I rarely see it, personally. 

Edited by gebert906
  • Boring 1

Beta Testers
51 posts
13,063 battles

No damage from friendly ships = good

Still penalties for "damaging" allies = ridiculous

Turn off the sound of friendly shells hitting your ship, so friendlies can fire away and not be annoying.

Keep friendly torp warning

• Meh 2

[-REK-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
767 posts

They always go way over the top on issues, shaking my head, all team damage should be reflective period with NO damage to the receiving party.  Case closed , having a warning for firing that does nothing to you is waaaaaaay over the top.

• Cool 4

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,966 posts
23,351 battles

I'd at least want the option of keeping friendly torp sounds on. I get why you're taking them out (because people use the alert sound as a form of harrassment), but I use those for situational awareness of when friendly torpedoes are going by, so that I don't accidentally block them, and so I know what areas will be denied to enemies in the near future.

• Cool 3

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,453 posts
14,532 battles

I hope this will lead to the release of Kitakami.

[G-4W]
Members
226 posts
7,896 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I'd at least want the option of keeping friendly torp sounds on. I get why you're taking them out (because people use the alert sound as a form of harrassment), but I use those for situational awareness of when friendly torpedoes are going by, so that I don't accidentally block them, and so I know what areas will be denied to enemies in the near future.

That’s exactly where I’m at. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,196 posts
6,572 battles

No need to worry about friendly fire just fire those torps into the crowd. No this will end badly..

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,718 posts
7,569 battles
6 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Yep the friendly torp sound warning should stay. 

1. Like you said it helps in not blocking friendly torpedoes. Because quite often they were launched for a reason and that friendly torpedo you just ate might have saved your life by killing the enemy. 

2.  Avoiding friendly torpedoes is still good because you don't want your friendly taking a bunch of damage they didn't need to take.  

So now in hairy situations if you eat a friendly torpedo not only will that torpedo not go on to hurt the enemy instead it will hurt your own team. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
441 posts
8,195 battles
8 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

No need to worry about friendly fire just fire those torps into the crowd. No this will end badly..

If you want no XP or credits, yes.  The punishment for hitting friendlies will be quite steep, and with the removal of the friendly torp warning they won't even know it's coming.  So if anything, torpslingers are going to have to be super vigilant now.

Edit:  I see now that they've told us the threshold, being 15 hits, which is maybe not terrible.  It ought to take some significant carelessness or trolling to hit that in one match (assuming it does not carry over).

Edited by buglips

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
821 posts

Removing team damage is a really bad idea that won't end well.  Just encourages more bad play.

• Cool 2

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
1 hour ago, gebert906 said:

From the 0.10.5 Dev Bulletin:

In Update 0.10.5, we are disabling the ability to cause damage to allies. This change will have a positive impact on gameplay—your teammates won't be able to damage or destroy your ship now.

Main changes

•  You can no longer damage allied ships, disable their modules, cause detonation, or destroy them. You can't damage allies by ramming them either.
  •  At the same time, all armament types will still hit allied ships. For example, you won't be able to launch torpedoes at an enemy through an allied ship.
  • A warning for unsportsmanlike behavior will now be issued for a certain number of hits on allied ships with any armament type, except for secondary battery hits. You can now be issued a warning for unsportsmanlike behavior only if you hit allied ships with torpedoes and main battery shells 15 times or more.
  •  If you continue to break the rules, you will be banned from all battle types, except for Co-op, Clan, and Training Battles.
  • Additionally, you won't earn any Credits or XP for any battle in which you receive the warning for attacking your teammates. If you don't break the rules in your next battles, any resources you earn will be credited to you as usual.
  • The return damage that a ship receives as a penalty for hitting teammates will grow with each subsequent hit on an allied ship.
  •  Camera effects that indicate incoming damage won't be active for a ship that is hit by an ally.
  • The warning about allied torpedoes has also been removed, since they can no longer inflict damage.

Not sure how I feel about this. While there will be ramifications to a player for hitting allies, the potential of damaging teammates with torps, and guns at times, made me more situationally aware to try to not be “that guy”. I even think that ramming allies should cause more damage than it currently does in an effort to encourage more map awareness. I do think WG should at least keep the ally torp warnings so that you can still try to avoid eating some of your teammates’ salvo. Is teamkilling this big of an issue? I rarely see it, personally. 

Well this is related to the.....arrival of the "flying dutchmans"  It is pretty obvious.....

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,747 posts
1 hour ago, gebert906 said:

Not sure how I feel about this.

Now, there is going to be no need to dodge allied torpedoes. If they hit you, well so long buddy, have fun in Coop. I also see people taking advantage of this to actively seek out team damage and thus "ban" someone that they don't want to see playing Randoms, such as a "unicum" or a member of a clan they don't like. Not only this, but it takes away much of the "realism" of the game. I think that this was a "solution" to a problem that really didn't exist.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,747 posts
3 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Well this is related to the.....arrival of the "flying dutchmans"  It is pretty obvious.....

I actually had a team DD torpedo my Midway at the start of the game once because he didn't like CVs. When I told him he was going to turn pink he just said "LOL, so what?"

[-BCO-]
Members
3,026 posts
5,311 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

I actually had a team DD torpedo my Midway at the start of the game once because he didn't like CVs. When I told him he was going to turn pink he just said "LOL, so what?"

Oops....looks like you may have a new addition to your.. 'funnies' thread.... 

[OGF]
Members
441 posts
8,195 battles
5 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Now, there is going to be no need to dodge allied torpedoes.

Without a warning you'd have to be extremely vigilant to even know they're coming anyway.  At first when they announced it I was worried about eating friendly torps if it's a bit brawly and there's a lot going on - but with it being 15 hits and with no warning they're coming, it is now definitely not my problem.  Unless I'm the torpspitter, in which case it's all on me.  (I haven't torped a green human in more than half a year anyway)

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,747 posts
4 minutes ago, buglips said:

Without a warning you'd have to be extremely vigilant to even know they're coming anyway.

I can't count how many times that I have heard a torp warning go off and frantically looked around in the direction of the enemy for the torps only to get plastered from behind by a "friendly." I don't like that but it does add realism to the game. I think that this is yet another sign of the "dumbing down" of games.

• Boring 1

[G-4W]
Members
226 posts
7,896 battles
24 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

Good call

[OBB]
Members
1 post
4,279 battles

I feel this takes away from the game play.  Friendly fire is part of the strategy.  This is a poor decision.  Dumb down the game more, enable auto aim so you never miss.  Not that anyone cares but this will make me play the game less. 

• Cool 2

[OGF]
Members
441 posts
8,195 battles
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I can't count how many times that I have heard a torp warning go off and frantically looked around in the direction of the enemy for the torps only to get plastered from behind by a "friendly." I don't like that but it does add realism to the game. I think that this is yet another sign of the "dumbing down" of games.

I partially agree.  In that I agree with the premise that it's more realistic, but I also weigh that against the number of times I've eaten a swarm of loose fish from somebody who doesn't care where they're going.  It's a high enough threshold that hitting one or two strays isn't going to be a big deal, but the people who are exceptionally terrible with the fish will get a penalty.  At this point I think realism has fully bolted from the barn anyway, and it's not getting back inside.  Mostly, now that I know more about how it's set up, I'm just ambivalent about it.  If they left it the same, fine.  If they do this, we'll see how it looks in practice.  

[PHD]
Members
2,004 posts
7,777 battles
1 hour ago, chewonit said:

I hope this will lead to the release of Kitakami.

I thought of the Kitakami when I read about the changes. Maybe WG's way to make it a little less toxic?:Smile_izmena:

The Kitakami may be interesting,  for me. But I do worry about what it might do to my torpedo hit rate. 

Imagine a Kitakami with Asashio torps. LOL:Smile_amazed::Smile_facepalm:

[WOLF3]
Members
663 posts
12,534 battles

I can't wait to see what people are going to do when this new system comes in. I know I will be turning into some tarps just to see what happens. Not out of malice mind you, but its pretty darn funny they did this with team damage. This game gets way to serious and now its time to have some fun. And before you get mad at me, remember, I didn't implement this absolute funny joke of a system.

Edited by Drifter_X
  • Cool 1

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts
1 hour ago, buglips said:

If you want no XP or credits, yes.  The punishment for hitting friendlies will be quite steep, and with the removal of the friendly torp warning they won't even know it's coming.  So if anything, torpslingers are going to have to be super vigilant now.

Edit:  I see now that they've told us the threshold, being 15 hits, which is maybe not terrible.  It ought to take some significant carelessness or trolling to hit that in one match (assuming it does not carry over).

but at the same time, if I'm earning nothing, I going to contribute nothing. I might even go hunting for friendly fire

Beta Testers
119 posts
25,449 battles

Just another reason to play less.