Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

So is the Friesland captain "Dutch" with the new line split?

72 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles

I had really thought at some point WG before now would explain what was going to happen with the Friesland captain and the line split. Will the captain stay with the ship and become Dutch? Are the European captains and the Dutch ones going to be interchangeable? Has there been official word and I just missed it?

I'm curious about buying the Fries as a possible captain trainer in preparation for the line release, but without knowing what will happen I'm not going to spend my 1M FXP on it... 

@Hapa_Fodder, is there an answer for what happens to the Friesland captain yet?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,804 posts
24,966 battles
11 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I had really thought at some point WG before now would explain what was going to happen with the Friesland captain and the line split. Will the captain stay with the ship and become Dutch? Are the European captains and the Dutch ones going to be interchangeable? Has there been official word and I just missed it?

I'm curious about buying the Fries as a possible captain trainer in preparation for the line release, but without knowing what will happen I'm not going to spend my 1M FXP on it... 

@Hapa_Fodder, is there an answer for what happens to the Friesland captain yet?

Looks like the 10.5 Developer bulletin postponed that decision by a patch -

"A new nation—the Netherlands—has been added. The Netherlands cruiser branch, which is currently being tested, will be transferred to it; once Update 0.10.6 releases, Friesland will also be transferred to it."

Ideally, the Friesland captain would move to the Netherlands line with all skills and points and a complementary captain with same points will be placed in the European line in his stead.

  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,255
[KWF]
Members
6,715 posts
7,321 battles

My bet is that whatever it is won't be good, so it will be a last minute announcement to avoid any backlash. Hope I'm proven wrong but we have been kept in the dark for quite some while as to the Commander's fate.

Friesland is my second most played ship, and the Commander in her originally was in Blyskawica, back when it was its own nation instead of PanEU. 

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
808
[NUWES]
Members
3,523 posts
13,330 battles
34 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I had really thought at some point WG before now would explain what was going to happen with the Friesland captain and the line split. Will the captain stay with the ship and become Dutch? Are the European captains and the Dutch ones going to be interchangeable? Has there been official word and I just missed it?

I'm curious about buying the Fries as a possible captain trainer in preparation for the line release, but without knowing what will happen I'm not going to spend my 1M FXP on it... 

@Hapa_Fodder, is there an answer for what happens to the Friesland captain yet?

We know as of this point the Europeans and the Dutch will not be interchangeable. I highly doubt that will change. They have not announced how the captains will move yet. The fairest way is for Friesland to spawn a captain with the same points as the captain it had. They may also just elect to have her spawn a captain with a set number of points (10 or 15 or so) across the board. They have not decided at this point. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles
30 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Looks like the 10.5 Developer bulletin postponed that decision by a patch - "A new nation—the Netherlands—has been added. The Netherlands cruiser branch, which is currently being tested, will be transferred to it; once Update 0.10.6 releases, Friesland will also be transferred to it."

Ideally, the Friesland captain would move to the Netherlands line with all skills and points and a complementary captain with same points will be placed in the European line in his stead.

Yeah, I really thought by the formal announcement (which they made today,) that WG would be clear (as much as usual at least,) about what they're doing regarding the captains.

And agreed 100% about the ideal.

28 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

My bet is that whatever it is won't be good...

I can't disagree with you, lately I find WGs decisions more and more often are of the variety that comes across as "FU, Pay Me!" to the community. 

1 minute ago, Tzarevitch said:

We know as of this point the Europeans and the Dutch will not be interchangeable. I highly doubt that will change. They have not announced how the captains will move yet. The fairest way is for Friesland to spawn a captain with the same points as the captain it had. They may also just elect to have her spawn a captain with a set number of points (10 or 15 or so) across the board. They have not decided at this point. 

You know they haven't decided officially? Has that been stated somewhere?

And IMO the fairest option would be whatever captain is on the Fries "becomes" Dutch when the line is released in 10.6 - so you can keep the captain there or move him off, whatever you prefer.

But I definitely think giving us an official answer is due.

Edited by TheArc
  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,481
[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,533 battles
53 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I had really thought at some point WG before now would explain what was going to happen with the Friesland captain and the line split. Will the captain stay with the ship and become Dutch? Are the European captains and the Dutch ones going to be interchangeable? Has there been official word and I just missed it?

I'm curious about buying the Fries as a possible captain trainer in preparation for the line release, but without knowing what will happen I'm not going to spend my 1M FXP on it... 

@Hapa_Fodder, is there an answer for what happens to the Friesland captain yet?

We will have more information coming out in the future.

-Hapa

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles
26 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We will have more information coming out in the future. -Hapa

Tnx. At least that's an official answer.

SOON.jpg.a444c88854fa6d85b91fab67501573f0.jpg

 

 

  • Cool 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,804 posts
24,966 battles
29 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We will have more information coming out in the future.

-Hapa

The future will be better tomorrow! :cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,481
[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,533 battles
1 minute ago, TheArc said:

Tnx. At least that's an official answer.

SOON.jpg.a444c88854fa6d85b91fab67501573f0.jpg

 

 

We have said that on every stream and even in the DB where we announced it. This is normal, the DB announces changes coming in the future and then we have an article explaining things.

-Hapa

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,486
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,965 posts
23,351 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Ideally, the Friesland captain would move to the Netherlands line with all skills and points and a complementary captain with same points will be placed in the European line in his stead.

This is basically impossible, as there may not be a Swirski (unique commander) equivalent on the Dutch side. And obviously it would cause all kinds of problems if people running Swirski on Friesland got him taken away/converted into a standard Dutch captain.

44 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We will have more information coming out in the future.

-Hapa

I'd suggest, "Friesland owners will receive a free Dutch captain with skill points equal to their highest EU captain, assigned to Friesland after the move".

You know this would make money. Tons of Frieslands will be sold, and players will have to spend a ton of doubloons or CEXP moving that 21-pointer around onto other Dutch ships.

Edited by Edgecase
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,533
[DVYJC]
Members
4,513 posts
12,316 battles
17 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

This is basically impossible, as there may not be a Swirski (unique commander) equivalent on the Dutch side. And obviously it would cause all kinds of problems if people running Swirski on Friesland got him taken away/converted into a standard Dutch captain.

"Friesland owners will receive a free Dutch captain with skill points equal to their highest EU captain, assigned to Friesland after the move". You know this will make money. Tons of Frieslands will be sold, and players will have to spend a ton of doubloons or CEXP moving that 21-pointer around onto other Dutch ships.

 

19 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We have said that on every stream and even in the DB where we announced it. This is normal, the DB announces changes coming in the future and then we have an article explaining things.

-Hapa

I really do want to know as soon as possible though, because I do have a 21-point Jerzy Swirski on Friesland, which is my most-played ship. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to identify which captain came with my Friesland originally? I think I have a generic 19-point captain named Jan Francki who I think is the original, but I am not sure. I am almost wanting to switch that captain back to minimize the risk during the transfer to the Dutch tree.

I would be furious if Friesland gets transferred and I get a consolation 10-point Dutch commander instead of my 21-point captain. Friesland is very hungry for captain points, and I grinded a long time to have a 21-point captain for her.

I think free retraining is also in order, because whichever one of my Pan-European captains is my original Friesland one, he is is assigned to one of the Swedish DDs now, so if he gets switched back to Friesland (which would cost me more than a million lost CXP to get to 21 points again from 19), I'd also then have to retrain another captain for the ship he was taken from.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles
16 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We have said that on every stream and even in the DB where we announced it. This is normal, the DB announces changes coming in the future and then we have an article explaining things. -Hapa

Oh, I know it's normal. That's why the whole SOON™ bit is a regular routine around WoWS. The fact that we're still in the dark as it gets closer and closer is what's tedious. We will find eventually, hopefully before you folks actually release the ship line. Either way, it just takes someone to make an official decision and announce it, we aren't talking rocket surgery here ;)

20 minutes ago, Khafni said:

The future will be better tomorrow! :cap_rambo:

Exactly, Mr. Quayle ;) 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,543
[GGWP]
Privateers
7,657 posts
18,549 battles
55 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

We will have more information coming out in the future.

-Hapa

Awesome, we can't wait. Thanks for the info Hapa. 

Any news on why WG is giving away exclusive rank 1 flags for the pirate event when an exclusive flag for the previous pirate bounty event exists? 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles
27 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I'd suggest, "Friesland owners will receive a free Dutch captain with skill points equal to their highest EU captain, assigned to Friesland after the move". You know this would make money. Tons of Frieslands will be sold, and players will have to spend a ton of doubloons or CEXP moving that 21-pointer around onto other Dutch ships.

That could likely tempt me to pull the trigger on getting a Fries. I didn't get the Smal b/c I expected the Vampire to be 2M FXP, and now... I have a lot of FXP, but I've no interest in getting a Fries only to have it moved and lose the captain - so I'm reset down to 10 points.

12 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I really do want to know as soon as possible though, because I do have a 21-point Jerzy Swirski on Friesland, which is my most-played ship. 

I would be furious if Friesland gets transferred and I get a consolation 10-point Dutch commander instead of my 21-point captain. Friesland is very hungry for captain points, and I grinded a long time to have a 21-point captain for her.

Amen to that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,804 posts
24,966 battles
17 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

 

Does anyone know if there is a way to identify which captain came with my Friesland originally? I think I have a generic 19-point captain named Jan Francki who I think is the original, but I am not sure. I am almost wanting to switch that captain back to minimize the risk during the transfer to the Dutch tree.

 

Frederick van Lier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,094
[PVE]
Members
7,589 posts
55 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I'd suggest, "Friesland owners will receive a free Dutch captain with skill points equal to their highest EU captain, assigned to Friesland after the move".

You know this would make money. Tons of Frieslands will be sold, and players will have to spend a ton of doubloons or CEXP moving that 21-pointer around onto other Dutch ships.

I don't think WG will go for this, but I have been hoping that is how it will work.  I was going to blow my FXP on regrind for RB points, but I have been holding back 1M to be able to grab the Friesland if something good happens with the switch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
692
[-VT-]
Members
876 posts
38,409 battles

Can someone explain to me....

Why we have a Euro DD line....and....a Dutch CA line?  

Why, for Pete's sake, can't they just be one 'nation' with two lines?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
618 posts
3,406 battles
22 minutes ago, Sabene said:

Can someone explain to me....

Why we have a Euro DD line....and....a Dutch CA line?  

Why, for Pete's sake, can't they just be one 'nation' with two lines?

Agreed. More room for premium PanEuro ships that way, too. Fill out the cruiser TT mainly with Dutch ships, then other one-off cruisers are sold for cash.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,094
[PVE]
Members
7,589 posts
1 hour ago, Sabene said:

Can someone explain to me....

Why we have a Euro DD line....and....a Dutch CA line?  

Why, for Pete's sake, can't they just be one 'nation' with two lines?

I'd guess WG wants to leave the option for pan-euro cruisers open.  Same with a possible Dutch DD line/premiums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18,691
[ARGSY]
Members
25,656 posts
19,737 battles
2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I have been holding back 1M to be able to grab the Friesland if something good happens with the switch. 

I went ahead and got her anyway. I don't want my current best EU commander going over because his primary ship is an EU destroyer, and all my other EU captains are 10 points or less anyway. I have enough ECXP to mint a Dutch 10-pointer from scratch if the terms of transfer are suboptimal, so I'm just going to enjoy the time for which she's still an EU ship and cross the commander bridge when I come to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,266
[X-PN]
Members
2,110 posts
13,625 battles
4 hours ago, Edgecase said:

This is basically impossible, as there may not be a Swirski (unique commander) equivalent on the Dutch side. And obviously it would cause all kinds of problems if people running Swirski on Friesland got him taken away/converted into a standard Dutch captain.

I'd suggest, "Friesland owners will receive a free Dutch captain with skill points equal to their highest EU captain, assigned to Friesland after the move".

You know this would make money. Tons of Frieslands will be sold, and players will have to spend a ton of doubloons or CEXP moving that 21-pointer around onto other Dutch ships.

The thing is, what about players like me that ground the captain that came with Fries from 3 points all the way to 21 points.... Fries was my first EU ship and being my most played ship.... has always had the original captain spec'd for Friesland...in fact he was my first 21 pointer.

I think it would be horribly unfair to separate the two things that I purchased together, and not give an equivalent captain.  I hope the option of moving over the original captain will be there, but past experience (thinking of Moskva camo) tells me to expect unfair treatment.  I hope I am pleasantly surprised this time....however, the late announcement gives me even less hope.

Edited by YouSatInGum
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,533
[DVYJC]
Members
4,513 posts
12,316 battles
4 hours ago, Khafni said:

Frederick van Lier

I am pretty sure it was a generic name for Pan-Euro captains. Unfortunately I have more than a dozen of those and at least three are potentially the one that originally came with mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,475
[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,804 posts
24,966 battles
53 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I am pretty sure it was a generic name for Pan-Euro captains. Unfortunately I have more than a dozen of those and at least three are potentially the one that originally came with mine.

He is the one still specialized in Friesland in my port. I didn't think there would be another name for a premium-assigned ship captain but it makes sense.

Spoiler

image.png.56503665c0e67b1cc0c88435f88a6318.png

 

Edited by Khafni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,657
[FORM]
Members
2,429 posts
13,644 battles
2 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

I think it would be horribly unfair to separate the two things that I purchased together, and not give an equivalent captain.  I hope the option of moving over the original captain will be there, but past experience (thinking of Moskva camo) tells me to expect unfair treatment.  I hope I am pleasantly surprised this time....however, the late announcement gives me even less hope.

Exactly. But until WG says that'll happen, I have no faith that it will - they have too many off the wall decisions and reach around to scratch your... ear... things, that I want someone official to say what's the plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×