You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MannyD_of_The_Sea

So, this Germanic Beast Event...

56 comments in this topic

[A-I-M]
Members
4,111 posts
15,374 battles

Does anyone feel like WG just mailed this one in? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t go around in late May every year, saying, “man, someone really ought to make some ‘Germanic Beast Month Event,’ “ but I do find myself wondering if they really have an event going on or not. This seems pretty “non-event-ish.” It’s so Ho-Hum a fellow can’t separate the Ho’s from the Hummers.

Kinda reminds me of the 1980’s Wendy’s commercials: “Izz next: Eveningkwear!”

WG: “Izz next: Event!”

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[VAST_]
Members
297 posts
7,314 battles

I read the WG log in write up or whatever... "Was ist das?" The "wth am I reading" meme then quickly came to mind.

Immediately disregarded it. I may give it a second look if it's still going on this weekend when I have longer than 45 minutes to play, just for the lulz and maybe a container or something? Dunno what one can even get.

Edited by CapnCazuul

[RBMK]
Members
2,340 posts
36,789 battles
26 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Does anyone feel like WG just mailed this one in? Don’t get me wrong, I don’t go around in late May every year, saying, “man, someone really ought to make some ‘Germanic Beast Month Event,’ “ but I do find myself wondering if they really have an event going on or not. This seems pretty “non-event-ish.” It’s so Ho-Hum a fellow can’t separate the Ho’s from the Hummers.

Agreed, snooze fest.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,941 posts
31,955 battles

"Mailed it in," no.  There are a lot of moving parts to the beast event (cycling through missions every 40 minutes, personal scores, team scores, etc.)  The description of rules needed some work.

The "Last Days of the Bismarck" seems like less effort went into this one.

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles

I think the format of the missions only being active during a set time frame of the day, and then limiting the missions to just 2 hours each, is a horrible idea. Hope they never do that again. Not a big fan of the missions themselves either. It is kind of a ho hum boring event. 1st one I can ever recall that I can do in Co-op that I just do not care about and don't even try. Usually I am a grind machine for events I can do but this one = meh. I got the Capt here week 1 through normal play and ignoring the Beast thing. If I get the other Capt's fine and if not fine.

Got a bunch of tokens already but I bought a crate bundle day 1 for the flags which I was really low on and already have the collection done and got the Agincourt + the 2 special permas (already had KA). So nothing really to use these tokens on as they gave very little "other content" to use them on. 

Now with all ^^^ said. I am ok with the event being meh and boring. I can actually ignore it and take a break from grind grind grind all the time. The best reward of the whole event is not caring about it and thus not having to grind my :etc_swear: off. :fish_haloween:

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 3

[SPTR]
Members
4,021 posts
1,021 battles

The event is fine, it's literally just there and is something that players can get rewards for by just playing the game without having to do something specific such as getting 400 ribbons in a single match or w/e.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,521 posts
12,361 battles
47 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

No, the rules are too convoluted for it to be a low-effort thing. Only WG events require a dozen explainer threads.

• Thanks 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,111 posts
15,374 battles
Just now, Wye_So_Serious said:

Agreed, snooze fest.

Yeah, it the “sensory deprivation tank” of events.

And, by and large,I’m an “event me no events” kind of guy.

[RLGN]
Members
16,860 posts
29,556 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think the format of the missions only being active during a set time frame of the day, and then limiting the missions to just 2 hours each, is a horrible idea. Hope they never do that again. Not a big fan of the missions themselves either. It is kind of a ho hum boring event. 1st one I can ever recall that I can do in Co-op that I just do not care about and don't even try. Usually I am a grind machine for events I can do but this one = meh. I got the Capt here week 1 through normal play and ignoring the Beast thing. If I get the other Capt's fine and if not fine.

The weird mission timing has made extremely ambivalent about the even. I never really seem to be playing when I can actually complete an event.

The only one I actively attempted to complete so far was one for 1,200 ribbons.

(1,200 ribbons? Loads in with Harugumo.)

Got a bunch of tokens already but I bought a crate bundle day 1 for the flags which I was really low on and already have the collection done and got the Agincourt + the 2 special permas (already had KA). So nothing really to use these tokens on as they gave very little "other content" to use them on.

What do you think about Agincourt AT? My second game I did 102k in it. Generally like it. Multiple kills so far with the secondaries.

Now with all ^^^ said. I am ok with the event being meh and boring. I can actually ignore it and take a break from grind grind grind all the time. The best reward of the whole event is not caring about it and thus not having to grind my :etc_swear: off. :fish_haloween:

As I said above; generally just playing and working on it as I can.

Don’t we pick teams again soon?

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles
18 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I think the format of the missions only being active during a set time frame of the day, and then limiting the missions to just 2 hours each, is a horrible idea.

I appreciate the fact that they tried to change things  up and do something very different. How they chose to do it? Yeah, not the best.  

The one good thing I've got to say about this way of doing it is that you can look ahead a bit, know what you're going to be asked to do next and select the most appropriate ship. There's none of the unreality we used to get where you might take a Minotaur, for example, only to be handed a randomly selected mission that asked you to get fire damage.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BUOY]
Members
1,492 posts
17,536 battles

Graphics are cool as is the fact that it gives 10 point captains. The event itself though is confusing as heck but thankfully works such that you just have to play the game to achieve milestones.

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
5 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

The weird mission timing has made extremely ambivalent about the even. I never really seem to be playing when I can actually complete an event.

The only one I actively attempted to complete so far was one for 1,200 ribbons.

What do you think about Agincourt AT? My second game I did 102k in it. Generally like it. Multiple kills so far with the secondaries.

As I said above; generally just playing and working on it as I can.

I have only played it a couple games. Secondary guns are ok and main guns seem to have decent enough accuracy but it is slow and the 36 sec reload is a big turn off. Very similar to Oklahoma. It's a T5 BB so don't expect much.

Each week I believe you pick a team.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,941 posts
31,955 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I believe that we can pick a new team tomorrow.

[CUDA]
Members
642 posts
9,544 battles

Personally I think part of the problem is there's no emotion into choosing a side. I mean, picking a beast based on how scary the description sounds? If they'd done something people could sink their teeth into, like Army/Navy/Airforce/Marines people would be more enthusiastic about it. Not sure how the rules work either. So far I got the Agincourt cammo but not the Agincourt.

[ARR0W]
Members
4,244 posts
26,725 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yes, it seems rather slapdash.

Eveninkwear? Im old enough that "evening wear" could mean white or black tie; black tie was semi-formal. "Morning dress" was my favorite, but the least worn; I have only worn it at weddings in decades.

Now black tie or a suit is "formal", and casual means whatever's on the bedpost, rather than a suit or dress trousers (or for the few, trews) with a sport jacket or blazer. 

Edited by Pugilistic

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,634 posts
4,774 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

There's been pressure from some noisy players, "Just let us decompress for a month, will you?"  So you can grind the Beasts event if you want, or just ignore it without feeling as if you're missing something.

OR, it's so culturally oriented that over here it doesn't resonate at all.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,437 posts
12,888 battles
15 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

There's been pressure from some noisy players, "Just let us decompress for a month, will you?"  So you can grind the Beasts event if you want, or just ignore it without feeling as if you're missing something.

Yeah, I can see they've really cut back on the amount of stuff going on when I click on the combat tab in port.

[PVE]
Members
9,067 posts
25,439 battles
22 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Just as an aside...I picked the 3rd team...the guy that kills you if he doesn't get his treats...seemed like a fun loving guy that's just trying to make people aware of the value of treats as opposed to a that healthy tofu stuff.

Fortunately you don't need to finish any of the missions to progress...each of the lines (stages) gives you points & you get extra by getting more in relation to how others on your team do... that's the stupid part but the good thing is you don't need to keep track of any of it...the missions are always up & you get progress whether you are paying attention or not.

Just to clarify...the 1st stage is only 1/10 of the whole mission/2nd stage is 1/4 & the 3rd stage is 1/2...

Example: 1200 ribbons needed for full mission...1st stage 120 ribbons (1/10)/2nd stage 300 ribbons (1/4)/& 3rd stage is 600 ribbons (1/2).

Each stage is worth 20 points...so that's 75 stages you need to compete to get all you can...1,500 points...in the personal stages...which is only between 10 & 11 stages max (because you occasionally earn more points than just the 20 per each stage in some missions) a day if you play every day) & getting to the 3rd stage is usually easily doable w/out even paying attention in most of the categories.

21 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

1- The only one I actively attempted to complete so far was one for 1,200 ribbons.

2- Don’t we pick teams again soon?

2- Resets at container reset tonight/tomorrow morning.

1- The ribbon missions are the only ones I actually paid attention to also...but I used Atlanta in co-op...when they were done I jumped into ranked in the Surrey & the co-op breaks were good to not make ranked feel like such a grind.

I think I may have finished 2 of the ribbon missions but just getting to the 1/2 way point (3rd stage) on each of the different missions I was running (which just occured naturally...most of the time...just from grinding ranked...I never paid any attention to any of them except the ribbon ones other than to check progress after each was done...& then only occasionally) got me finished w/the personal ones by the night before last & just got the commander last night...but you have absolutely no control over the team points (where the commanders come in)...even if you max out every mission...if your team don't do squat you can end up getting the least amount of points possible & not make it through. That's the retarded part of the whole thing.

As a bonus...they had the option to watch certain twitch streams to earn a mission for a commander (4 hours..but I had plenty of down time that I couldn't play) so watched Wooky Legends stream...& I won a draw for the T61 while watching...which was icing on the cake.

The mission this week is just for the 1st commander...a new missions available each week...but it will be different CCs you need to watch each week...but I got the 1st commander from that mission & the 3rd from picking the 3rd team...& the mission was so easy I managed to finish it before my team scraped enough points up to get the 3rd commander.

If I had to pay attention to any of this while doing it it would have been stupid but it just kinda progressed on it's own w/out much attention other than the fun of roasting some bots occasionally between ranked sessions...which I finished the night before last...& then last night finished up the quals (in Kagero).

But to summarize..yes..it was all explained in the most [edited]:Smile_amazed: manner possible in the article. (Wait...wut?

They edited the letters W & T? I didn't even put the F in there).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,111 posts
15,374 battles
1 hour ago, Pugilistic said:

Yes, it seems rather slapdash.

Eveninkwear? Im old enough that "evening wear" could mean white or black tie; black tie was semi-formal. "Morning dress" was my favorite, but the least worn; I have only worn it at weddings in decades.

Now black tie or a suit is "formal", and casual means whatever's on the bedpost, rather than a suit or dress trousers (or for the few, trews) with a sport jacket or blazer. 

The old Wendy’s commercial was a spoof of Soviet society, where the fashion show presenting Russian ladies’ daywear/eveningwear/swimwear showed the same drab dress that came from a burlap bag. “Eveninkwear” was accessorized with a large flashlight.) - as opposed to Wendy’s society/America, where there was choice.

You can find it on YouTube.

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

I’m one of those noisy players.

It’s like when the kids make too much annoying noise...when you realize it’s suddenly quiet, then you’re all looking in to what’s about to go wrong because they’re too quiet.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,774 posts
59 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Just as an aside...I picked the 3rd team...the guy that kills you if he doesn't get his treats...seemed like a fun loving guy that's just trying to make people aware of the value of treats as opposed to a that healthy tofu stuff.

I picked the worms because I think that's the funniest-sounding word in the English language and even funnier when it's spelled "Wyrm." With worm snakes you get the best of both worlds; worm and serpent all rolled up into one!

worm_snake-1a.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle

[SALVO]
Members
3,718 posts
7,576 battles
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I picked the worms because I think that's the funniest-sounding word in the English language and even funnier when it's spelled "Wyrm." With worm snakes you get the best of both worlds worm and serpent all rolled up into one!

worm_snake-1a.jpg

Hah I picked the GluehSchwanz last week because when interpreted by german slang as my friends would interpret it rather then propper german my grandma speaks.  Then glowing tail becomes, glowing...... well the kinda thing common to most men. 

Anyway  Picked the team last week. Didn't look at it once. Then received the captain this weekend sometime. 

Edit:  Did a little bit of research . All the 'beasts" they used are genuinly from germanic fables and sagas.   The Welthund mostly originating from the german speaking area of Switzerland. The Feuerputz from  the Saxon east Germany. The GluhSchwanz from Lower Saxony South east of Hannover (also from within 40km of where I was born).  LindWurm seems to have the most references from all over germanic languages.  It has the most about it on wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindworm  Most interesting I think is the meaning of the word lind  in this case the closest english translation seems to be the word  "lithe"(old english) aka "agile" (the french word that replaced the old one).  

Edited by eviltane
  • Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
7,595 posts

I think this event is okay.  At first I was like many of you and didn't know what the hell the event was, and didn't really care.  One quick look at the missions, and thought no thanks.  Way too grindy for that short of a timeframe.  Then I realized you didn't have to complete the entire mission, and you got points for partial progress.  Things made more sense at that point, and eventually I figured out how everything worked.

On Saturday evening I had some time to play a longer session than I normally would.  I found myself chasing after the missions, thinking just one more game and I'll get more points.  Decided I'll call it when I reach the third container regardless of where I was at for any mission (I just don't like the idea of being on the hamster wheel). 

Even with a fairly small amount of play I reached the fifth personal reward easily and was waiting for my team to catch up.  I don't see a lot of motivation to keep playing after you get your personal rewards.  I can also see players fatiguing quickly on this event with the rewards being somewhat lackluster (I already have 3-4 unused 10 point German commanders, and have no interest in the German collection containers for the pera camo). 

Overall, I like the concept of rotating missions.   The missions themselves were pretty fair but could be improved. 

BXP, is universal and every ship/player has the same chance of success.  It is boring, but fair.

Damage, I don't mind this one but its harder on lower tier players, and favors BBs in general.

Credits, not bad but favors higher tier, and premium ships and players with flags to burn.

Ribbons, personally I like this one the best since you have a lot of options on how you can do well in this.  You can use a HE spammer DD/cruiser, or a secondary BB.  All fun play styles.

Flooding/fire, this tends to leave out some ships and is way too RNG.  Also, this sort of bones co-op players since DOT is next to impossible in co-op.

Potential damage, this one is a bit on the unfair side since you pretty much have to be in a BB to consistently do well.  The equivalent would be getting caps and everyone other than DD players would (rightfully) feel left out.  

Tweak the missions, better rewards, and rules that were more easily understood is how to improve the event.

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,955 battles

Honestly, I'd say the event is entirely forgettable.

Sure I don't mind the tokens to grab a few frivolous things like flags etc. However, the event itself is pretty underwhelming.

Just another set of weird tokens to keep track of, of which there's not even much to purchase with them. It's almost like the event is just the introduction to buying the crates and nothing more.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,634 posts
4,774 battles
55 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

It’s like when the kids make too much annoying noise...when you realize it’s suddenly quiet, then you’re all looking in to what’s about to go wrong because they’re too quiet.

Ssshhhh!  Be vewy vewy quiet.  I'm hunting wabbits.

Edited by iDuckman

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles

"Go Navy!" Sharks vs Eagles was better.  We even had little memes between the teams.

Go Sharks!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway