You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

No camo mounted and mountable on Clan-Battle loaner ships?

19 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles

I just got the loaner ships for Clan Battles and intend to use the [Hindenburg]. However i have noticed that the tab to mount a camo is missing and the ship itself doesn't appear to come with a camo mounted. So slightly increased detectability and better dispersion for incoming shells it seems. :Smile_amazed: FWIW I'm at 13km detectability for the [Hindenburg] with Concealment Mod 1 and the Concealment Expert on my Commander.

Perhaps not a fatal problem for a long-range cruiser, but for DDs that's going to be "fun and engaging". :Smile_sad:

Edited by tangofan

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

That is by design for rental ships.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,970 posts
23,372 battles

You are correct. This is their incentive for you to continue researching and buying your own ships.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
Just now, Compassghost said:

That is by design for rental ships.

Perhaps so, but then this design is "less than ideal".

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,133 posts
13,592 battles

They are loaner ships so that players who do not have the requisite ships for Tier 10 clan battles to be able to participate. I do not believe they have retraining requirements.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

You are correct. This is their incentive for you to continue researching and buying your own ships.

I don't know, if that's WG's "official" reasoning of if this is a deduction, but in either case it's a faulty one, because even with camo the incentive to get those ships, so I can also play them in other games modes, is not diminished.

3 minutes ago, Compassghost said:

They are loaner ships so that players who do not have the requisite ships for Tier 10 clan battles to be able to participate. I do not believe they have retraining requirements.

Indeed they are categorized as special ships and do not have retraining requirements. I - for one - am one of those players that needs to rely on a loner ship and I am puzzled by the decision to make them camo-less, as it seems so unnecessary.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,970 posts
23,372 battles
6 minutes ago, tangofan said:
15 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

I don't know, if that's WG's "official" reasoning of if this is a deduction, but in either case it's a faulty one, because even with camo the incentive to get those ships, so I can also play them in other games modes, is not diminished.

It's quite an old policy at this point.

[TOG]
Members
4,613 posts
29,196 battles

It's encourage clan memebers who do not have T10 ships to play in clan battles. It's workable for BB campers or CA flankers, but less than ideal for everything else. 

[A-I-M]
Members
4,111 posts
15,374 battles
38 minutes ago, tangofan said:

I just got the loner ships for Clan Battles..

Loners, by definition, don’t play clan battles, so no problem.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles

Small clans might have trouble getting a full team together, and if you can't do that, you can't fight a clan battle at all. Your chances of winning then are precisely zero. Having members be able to grab rental ships and make up a full team is indeed suboptimal, but it is better than nothing.

If you're in the situation where you are fighting the best of the best on a consistent basis, chances are you have your own full range of T10 ships you can bring and the rentals are unnecessary.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Small clans might have trouble getting a full team together, and if you can't do that, you can't fight a clan battle at all. Your chances of winning then are precisely zero. Having members be able to grab rental ships and make up a full team is indeed suboptimal, but it is better than nothing.

If you're in the situation where you are fighting the best of the best on a consistent basis, chances are you have your own full range of T10 ships you can bring and the rentals are unnecessary.

Don't get me wrong, I think that rental ships are a great idea. I just think that the decision to disable camos doesn't serve any useful purpose and is an arbitrary limitation.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles
9 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Don't get me wrong, I think that rental ships are a great idea. I just think that the decision to disable camos doesn't serve any useful purpose and is an arbitrary limitation.

The biggest gripe I have against it is that it doesn't allow mounting of one-shot camos that reduce service costs. 

The only benefit is that if you have one of those camos that can be linked to any ship of a particular tier, you can't accidentally mount it to a rental ship. Given that the only such regularly available camo costs 10,000 steel, it's a safeguard I would appreciate. It also means you can't accidentally buy a permacamo for a loaner, although that option would be much easier to lock out.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The biggest gripe I have against it is that it doesn't allow mounting of one-shot camos that reduce service costs. 

The only benefit is that if you have one of those camos that can be linked to any ship of a particular tier, you can't accidentally mount it to a rental ship. Given that the only such regularly available camo costs 10,000 steel, it's a safeguard I would appreciate. It also means you can't accidentally buy a permacamo for a loaner, although that option would be much easier to lock out.

Oops, I didn't even think about service costs. :Smile_amazed: Tells you that I'm not playing Tier X, yet. :Smile_veryhappy: Time to mount those Zulu and India Bravo Terrathree flags. 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles
6 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Oops, I didn't even think about service costs. :Smile_amazed: Tells you that I'm not playing Tier X, yet. :Smile_veryhappy:

Just a few clan battles in T10 was enough to give me a taste of what life was going to be like. So I splurged all the coal I then had on Salem, whose service costs are stupidly low. Ironically my clan stopped doing CB not long thereafter, but I have put that ship to very good use notwithstanding.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Just a few clan battles in T10 was enough to give me a taste of what life was going to be like. So I splurged all the coal I then had on Salem, whose service costs are stupidly low. Ironically my clan stopped doing CB not long thereafter, but I have put that ship to very good use notwithstanding.

Funny that you mention the Salem. I was looking at her myself (though I have to wait until next month for the new coal coupon), but it always seemed that she's somewhat inferior to the Des Moines in CB due to her shorter range radar and that the improved heal doesn't make up for that. So I'm wondering, if running the Des Moines with a perma camo would be better in the long run. Not sure about the service cost of the DM with a perma camo though...

Edited by tangofan

[PVE]
Members
9,067 posts
25,439 battles
40 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Funny that you mention the Salem. I was looking at her myself (though I have to wait until next month for the new coal coupon), but it always seemed that she's somewhat inferior to the Des Moines in CB due to her shorter range radar and that the improved heal doesn't make up for that. So I'm wondering, if running the Des Moines with a perma camo would be better in the long run. Not sure about the service cost of the DM with a perma camo though...

T10 is base 180k credit service cost.

T10 perma camos give a 50% service cost reduction reducing that down to 90k credits.

Salem (& other T10 coal ships...the "Special" ones) also gets a T10 perma camo but also gets a baked in 50% service reduction dropping the cost down to 45k credits.

All regular premium ships get a baked in credit multiplier that increases your credit gains based on how well you perform that Special premiums don't get.

The signals that give the 10% post battle reduction (brain fart on name) are based off the (180k as the T10 example) base service costs & have a maximum value of 18k credits in T10...& less in all other tiers (12k in T9 & down from there).

That 18k in T10 is deducted after the camos are factored in (90k becomes 78k/45k becomes 27k) & is a set amount each battle depending on tier.

That is the main selling point of the Salem over DM...but don't discredit that super heal.... it's awesome for printing another ship.

The other disadvantage of Salem is you have to decide between 8.5 radar or hydro in the same slot...DM doesn't give up it's radar for hydro...but...Salem gets the DFAA in a seperate slot & DM needs to choose between hydro & DFAA (like most other cruisers)...DM gets the better options there IMO but not having $ for perma camos they're delegated to snowflakes for me & Salem is my go to for quick completion of cit hitting missions.

Hope that clarified things for you :-)

• Thanks 1

Banned
1,684 posts
2 hours ago, tangofan said:

I just got the loaner ships for Clan Battles and intend to use the [Hindenburg]. However i have noticed that the tab to mount a camo is missing and the ship itself doesn't appear to come with a camo mounted. So slightly increased detectability and better dispersion for incoming shells it seems. :Smile_amazed: FWIW I'm at 13km detectability for the [Hindenburg] with Concealment Mod 1 and the Concealment Expert on my Commander.

Perhaps not a fatal problem for a long-range cruiser, but for DDs that's going to be "fun and engaging". :Smile_sad:

It has been quid pro quo since the beginning of rentals.

Nothing new here.

[BTLST]
Members
362 posts
8,322 battles
9 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Hope that clarified things for you :-)

Thanks so much, it did indeed clarify things a lot.

Wait, now I have to make a decision?! :Smile_hiding:   :Smile_trollface:

Edited by tangofan
  • Funny 1

Members
109 posts
14,216 battles

I have plenty of T10s (including the loaners , less the Montana) and I run the DM with the spacey looking camo. The costs are not bad even though if you have a good game you might only make 50 or 100k, either way I think its cool to have rentals for those who don't have t10s. Btw, if u do have  tier 8s and up , get a couple of premiums to offset any losses. Randoms still sucks, Ranked is actually getting fun and Clan battles are cool. Just my limited input, YMMV.

Edited by thundercat_warrior