Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xTheCanadianx

CV Improving idea.

10 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,900
[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
3,996 posts
21,942 battles

So recently ive been heavy on the thought of Giving American Bb's their stand out flavour compared to the others.

I figure giving the fighters a short burst Radar consumable would help with spotting, especially those dirty ships Like Smolly-pop and Minolol.

short burst and short range?  could be a way to nerf rockets and still keep the fighters useful.

I'll wait by the airlock in case ya'll wanna toss me out.

Edited by xTheCanadianx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,835
[NG-NL]
Members
6,613 posts
10,993 battles

DDs will complain if CVs can negate their smoke. May even get them less likely to try capping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,619
[BONKS]
Members
3,170 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, xTheCanadianx said:

So recently ive been heavy on the thought of Giving American Bb's their stand out flavour compared to the others.

....What exactly does that have to do with CVs?

If you mean US CVs, they're already the most powerful tech tree line around. Why would they need improvement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,099
[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,453 posts
14,532 battles

Run out of gimmick ideas? Just add radar!

I want radar on torpedoes.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,601
[SGSS]
Members
6,314 posts
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

DDs will complain if CVs can negate their smoke. May even get them less likely to try capping.

When are DD not complaining about something...:cap_horn:

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Or - we go for the most mind numbingly simple fixes that have somehow eluded Wargaming's dev team. 

  • Reduce the damage of FFAR and HVAR rockets 50%, and the damage of RP-3 rockets 60% (while going to the higher historical counts per tier that could be carried). These are the only ones that really devastate destroyers other than some lucky hits with the likes of Tiny Tim and IJN HE rockets - but these are analogous to being hit by 12 and 8 inch main battery rounds respectively - there going to hurt and they aren't as accurate anyway. 
  • Make the minimum spotting range from air of all cruisers max AA range +1 km - that solves the borderline stealth AA issue on that front
  • Give DD's AA that ranges from passable to good (note that 'Good' in this case means 'can shoot planes down but isn't on the level of Friesland, Harugumo, etc')
  • Go back to how it was in the very old days, that they even had a Cap video on - you pop smoke and have AA blasting, planes get to know where you are, you go dark, you stay dark. 

 

To say nothing of retooling the lines to actually have flavour and be a tad more historical -

  • IJN the 'Capital ship killer' line, if we have to suffer rockets as opposed to 2 different DB groups fine, but has 3-4 torpedoes per drop that are pretty strong but have a gap between them DD's/cruisers will usually be able to hit, and either DB's with smaller SAP bombs or level bombers with the 800 kg BB killers. Weaker planes vs AA - but lots of them like the old days.
  • UK as the 'DD/CL hunter' - high quantity of 6" rockets, 5 torpedoes per drop almost lowest damage, DB's with multiple smaller HE or AP bombs (actually DB's, not the carpet bombing crap they have now). Basically the 'average' planes - not the fastest, not the slowest, maybe a tad under on durability (most used easier to knock out liquid cooled engines), etc
  • Germany as the CA/BC/CC nightmare - the actual historical rockets - 21 cm HE or even the later potential 21 cm AP that may have come out of the 'Panzerblitz' rockets, AP bombs instead of torpedoes, HE bombs with higher pen (similar to other German ships) roughly around the 500 kg range though maybe down to 250 kg, and possibly an option for a smaller/higher quantity rocket (I believe closer to 4 inches). A certain blend of speed and armour to let them get through the AA these tend to have leaning more in to the Fw-190 at the mid/upper tiers and similar designs. DB's having the round GZ style 'hit from any direction' aim point and fairly high accuracy (which itself is something of a drawback cause if it moves out of that smaller aimpoint you miss outright). 
  • USN as something of a 'Jack of all Trades' - slower planes (for the altitudes they are operating at) but absolute tanks in terms of taking damage to make up for that and not being the most agile, with it's current rocket options of 5" HVAR/FFAR and Tiny Tim, back to 6x low damage torps (and they'd be the lowest of all current CV's), and options to carry depending on tier x pounds of bombs of either 500, 1000, and 2000 lbs (so say we use something like the AD skyraider and it has an 4000 lb limit for gameplay/argument purposes, it would have an option of 2x 2000 lb bombs, 4x 1000 lb bombs and since it has more than enough racks 8x 500 lb bombs). The torpedoes (numerous enough and tighter like UK to better target DD's, enough to still hurt BB's due to hitting with a number of them) while more generic aren't really the focus the bigger being the rockets 0 with the higher volume FFAR/HVAR that are easier to use to hit smaller ships and deal damage through number of hits or Tiny Tims that are less accurate but are basically 12 inch BB rounds with a 14" BB round bursting charge that are better against larger targets that don't dodge as well and are definitely going to feel it, and on the DB's that similar range from lower damage, somewhat more accurate area covering to a couple bombs that are really going to hurt if they hit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
436 posts
6,956 battles

Or do what WOT did and make the Eye in the sky class only do support damage. If you don't get shot at you don't get to get kills or do damage. Make them spot and control the skies with fighters and remove all the DPS from the class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,601
[SGSS]
Members
6,314 posts
4 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Or - we go for the most mind numbingly simple fixes that have somehow eluded Wargaming's dev team. 

  • Reduce the damage of FFAR and HVAR rockets 50%, and the damage of RP-3 rockets 60% (while going to the higher historical counts per tier that could be carried). These are the only ones that really devastate destroyers other than some lucky hits with the likes of Tiny Tim and IJN HE rockets - but these are analogous to being hit by 12 and 8 inch main battery rounds respectively - there going to hurt and they aren't as accurate anyway. 
  • Make the minimum spotting range from air of all cruisers max AA range +1 km - that solves the borderline stealth AA issue on that front
  • Give DD's AA that ranges from passable to good (note that 'Good' in this case means 'can shoot planes down but isn't on the level of Friesland, Harugumo, etc')
  • Go back to how it was in the very old days, that they even had a Cap video on - you pop smoke and have AA blasting, planes get to know where you are, you go dark, you stay dark. 

 

To say nothing of retooling the lines to actually have flavour and be a tad more historical -

  • IJN the 'Capital ship killer' line, if we have to suffer rockets as opposed to 2 different DB groups fine, but has 3-4 torpedoes per drop that are pretty strong but have a gap between them DD's/cruisers will usually be able to hit, and either DB's with smaller SAP bombs or level bombers with the 800 kg BB killers. Weaker planes vs AA - but lots of them like the old days.
  • UK as the 'DD/CL hunter' - high quantity of 6" rockets, 5 torpedoes per drop almost lowest damage, DB's with multiple smaller HE or AP bombs (actually DB's, not the carpet bombing crap they have now). Basically the 'average' planes - not the fastest, not the slowest, maybe a tad under on durability (most used easier to knock out liquid cooled engines), etc
  • Germany as the CA/BC/CC nightmare - the actual historical rockets - 21 cm HE or even the later potential 21 cm AP that may have come out of the 'Panzerblitz' rockets, AP bombs instead of torpedoes, HE bombs with higher pen (similar to other German ships) roughly around the 500 kg range though maybe down to 250 kg, and possibly an option for a smaller/higher quantity rocket (I believe closer to 4 inches). A certain blend of speed and armour to let them get through the AA these tend to have leaning more in to the Fw-190 at the mid/upper tiers and similar designs. DB's having the round GZ style 'hit from any direction' aim point and fairly high accuracy (which itself is something of a drawback cause if it moves out of that smaller aimpoint you miss outright). 
  • USN as something of a 'Jack of all Trades' - slower planes (for the altitudes they are operating at) but absolute tanks in terms of taking damage to make up for that and not being the most agile, with it's current rocket options of 5" HVAR/FFAR and Tiny Tim, back to 6x low damage torps (and they'd be the lowest of all current CV's), and options to carry depending on tier x pounds of bombs of either 500, 1000, and 2000 lbs (so say we use something like the AD skyraider and it has an 4000 lb limit for gameplay/argument purposes, it would have an option of 2x 2000 lb bombs, 4x 1000 lb bombs and since it has more than enough racks 8x 500 lb bombs). The torpedoes (numerous enough and tighter like UK to better target DD's, enough to still hurt BB's due to hitting with a number of them) while more generic aren't really the focus the bigger being the rockets 0 with the higher volume FFAR/HVAR that are easier to use to hit smaller ships and deal damage through number of hits or Tiny Tims that are less accurate but are basically 12 inch BB rounds with a 14" BB round bursting charge that are better against larger targets that don't dodge as well and are definitely going to feel it, and on the DB's that similar range from lower damage, somewhat more accurate area covering to a couple bombs that are really going to hurt if they hit. 

you really want to do the reality thing.

like torp reloads, taking 1 torp and not being all but destroyed.  hitting another ship or land your ship is gone.  Ships being able to get up to speed.  Shooting over your bow.  Seeing out of smoke and being able to have perfict aim and AA.

While history would be great this is not the place for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,361
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles
28 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

you really want to do the reality thing.

like torp reloads, taking 1 torp and not being all but destroyed.  hitting another ship or land your ship is gone.  Ships being able to get up to speed.  Shooting over your bow.  Seeing out of smoke and being able to have perfict aim and AA.

While history would be great this is not the place for it.

There's a difference between what I want - which is a little more historical accuracy, for what is supposed to be a historically based arcade game, where it is applicable, or potentially even beneficial to the game - such as creating a real difference between ships, especially post rework CV's, having the right names for things, etc. I'm not one of these fools that wants to make it the competing game where it's realistic, mostly cause I hate that other game.

To say nothing of the fact that the general 'main' lines of these nations tend to follow also with IJN being the better usually at taking out capital ships - which they were the only ones using carrier based level bombing, with AP, that happened to be meant to take out BB's albeit for the purposes of gameplay over history attacking moving targets not stationary, The UK ships have generally been better at anti-DD/CL work, which the RP-3 and the tendency to carry more smaller bombs as opposed to the Americans fits well plus use as DB's as opposed to inaccurate (both technically in game and historically) level bombing, Germany the ships are a bit better geared to fight cruisers, even heavier ones and there is always the Stuka - which that and the general accuracy attributed to it's strikes and using 21 cm rockets be they HE possibly with the same general 1/4 pen rule or AP that may not be historical but fits the class concept would be a far cry better than what they fire now quite well fits that role and the nations overall flavour, which leaves USN which as other lines have been introduced has been more a JoaT and not only did the RTS CV's (like IJN with anti-capital ship) reflect this even this crap show of a rework still has elements of it, just needs some refining in my opinion - and so something with flexibility I feel better suits the overall American line themes while also managing to be somewhat more accurate to history. 

 

I don't want the game to be a sim, but I also don't want it to be an outright arcade game - there's a balance between the two that while in the end will lean a bit more arcade, can be struck and is what frankly has made these games unique to others for me and why I enjoyed them, and moving away from that as Warplanes did drove me away as it became little more than an arcade game using names and pictures. And I don't want that to be this game too - why I take issue with the last iterations of Subs I was aware of that are basically nuclear attack subs reskinned as Second World War ones, that and I felt they were better balanced/more fun when they played closer to historical ones though still pretty far. Because this is a place for history, discounting CV's post rework which is a problem of it's own premiums are historically accurate to a time of a ships career if based on a real ship or actual drawings, tech tree ships are based on their real life counter parts I'd have to check as I believe Iowa's AA was changed while I was gone but the AA suite it used was one of Missouri's from the early - mid 50's, much if not all the ship armour schemes are based on history as well why Yamato despite being something more of a ranged ship has more than I believe all the German Battleships meant to be up close where they'd need the armour more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
112
[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
411 posts
10,996 battles
On 5/23/2021 at 3:09 PM, chewonit said:

Run out of gimmick ideas? Just add radar!

I want radar on torpedoes.

Torpedoes are in the water, so it gotta be sonar!
Just put sonar on every torpedo, and shoot wide burst so you spot the entire map. Also integrate the sonar with guiding system so torpedoes will direct themselves towards a ship, why not :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×