You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
eviltane

Priority Target and how to play against it. Lets share some tips .

5 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
3,710 posts
7,564 battles

Priority target is an interesting skill.  I take it on almost all my builds because it’s an incredible risk assessment tool.  It lets you know the instant someone locks on and swings turrets.  But more then that it lets you know when someone else is joining in to fire at you.  When new angles open up that you have to dodge or angle against.  Also constant maneuvering can cost a lot of damage dealt so if used right it definitely can boost your numbers and impact. 

Anyway I have noticed a lot more people playing with it.  Like a guy keeps going straight despite being spotted yet the instant you lock on they change course.  Repeatedly. 

So in the spirit of sharing here are some of the counters to Priority target: 

- As a Torp DD always drive around with torpedoes selected. They’re lock-on mechanic does not trigger Priority Target. If you never lock on to them in the first place they can not tell when you are launching torpedoes 

- As a DD if you were shooting them and want to torp and hide when it happens.  Set the trick up by using volley fire. Every few volleys deselect the target by pressing X.   Wait until your guns are just about ready to fire. Then hit X to reselect and fire. When your torpedoes are ready press 3 instead of X and launch your torps. It takes practices but you don’t need to do it often to be effective. 

- When you want to get a surprise shot off on someone over an island try to quickly deselect the target while lining up and one select when you are ready to shoot.   Then again deselect after the rounds go out.    

What are some tips you guys can share regarding priority target? 

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,386 posts
5,554 battles

I don't know about counterplay, but I sometimes like to annoy people with PT by rapidly selecting and deselecting them as targets

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,190 posts
19,795 battles

Back in the day the skill was way more important, it was a skill you had to buy and then had to buy priority. WG decided to give everyone the first skill, I wish in the rework, that they reconsidered that and made it a choice between something equally important once again.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles

I break it down to if PT triggers or you are simply detected for more than a few moments without PT you go into zig zag mode.

70b285b5-409f-4435-96fc-3d537c94dd79_1.5

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles

I'll  break locks on targets, especially BBs, it gets them to do dumb things.   It's good to practice using it anyway so when you've got 2 ships on top of each other and want to shoot the other you readily lock it up.  I imagine there's quite a few players that try to change ships they're shooting at while remaining locked to another.  It's just a good thing to practice overall.    In DD, fire, switch to not ready torps, then back to guns.  Rinse cycle repeat. 

Edited by CV_Jeebies