Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

Ranked makes me laugh sometimes

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,053 posts
15,734 battles

So I was playing my Nelson but apparently I'm bad at it and should kill myself according to a couple of guys in chat.

Here's the post battle screen. Made me chuckle.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9e617f18f9b7fb4cb053db467ffc6a8.jpeg

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,946 battles
11 minutes ago, hexeris said:

So I was playing my Nelson but apparently I'm bad at it and should kill myself according to a couple of guys in chat.

Here's the post battle screen. Made me chuckle.

image.thumb.jpeg.e9e617f18f9b7fb4cb053db467ffc6a8.jpeg

This tells us nothing except you were able to farm damage.

Post the replay so we can see what happened.

Until then the only suspicion I have is that you were hanging back farming damage and being overall ineffective if you were getting that ire.

Getting big numbers in a defeat isn't a win or really worth bragging about IMO.

Edit: Mopping up in damage when your team has lost isn't a bragging right either.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,781 posts

Playing the devils advocate here:

Then why did you lose? Was there something you could have done to prevent the loss? It seems your ship is still intact and you have a lot of damage, so these questions come up.

I often see BBs in ranked play just like in randoms, going to a spot to farm or snipe, which admittedly gives them great damage because they farm out anything that gets spotted. But they are often too far away to support the DDs and cruisers, so the team loses the cap control, which then leads to a loss on points. I was playing Atlanta and Sinop in T7 ranked so far (I know, toxic combo) and so many times there were BBs left on the red team somewhere on the border of the map trading shots with our almost dead BBs. But our DD was in the last cap, we held every one of them and won after 2 minutes on points. They could not move in fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, how people formulate their "feedback" matters and if they just spew insults that is on them, but personally I always try to think about what could I have done better to prevent a loss and why are these people so mad at me. Is it just channeling their own frustration, or might there be some truth to it.

• Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,654 posts
16,952 battles

I'm  headed for a record # of losses in ranked tonight in bronze, 14 right now in a row. I have control over my team, just the wrong kind. No control over the opposing one.

Edited by Ericson38

Beta Testers
1,053 posts
15,734 battles
24 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Playing the devils advocate here:

Then why did you lose? Was there something you could have done to prevent the loss? It seems your ship is still intact and you have a lot of damage, so these questions come up.

I often see BBs in ranked play just like in randoms, going to a spot to farm or snipe, which admittedly gives them great damage because they farm out anything that gets spotted. But they are often too far away to support the DDs and cruisers, so the team loses the cap control, which then leads to a loss on points. I was playing Atlanta and Sinop in T7 ranked so far (I know, toxic combo) and so many times there were BBs left on the red team somewhere on the border of the map trading shots with our almost dead BBs. But our DD was in the last cap, we held every one of them and won after 2 minutes on points. They could not move in fast enough.

Don't get me wrong, how people formulate their "feedback" matters and if they just spew insults that is on them, but personally I always try to think about what could I have done better to prevent a loss and why are these people so mad at me. Is it just channeling their own frustration, or might there be some truth to it.

It was New Dawn, I spawned closer to C so went there with a DD and another BB the rest of the team went to hug islands at A and B. The other BB at C turned when someone fired at him and headed for the border, our DD at C came under alot of fire and I tried to help. He had to leave or die.

I hung around C and pushed into it tanking damage all the while assuming the other Bb would come back and help, but no.

Meanwhile our rock huggers had capped B and then did nothing except hide.

I was nearly dead by the end of the game, had used up all my heals.

If the game had lasted a few minutes more I might have taken down the last 2 ships on  the enemy team.

Members
23 posts
142 battles

Ranked makes me laugh sometimes but it's the kind of high-pitched, keening, maniacal laughter of someone on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,092 posts

At that point leave it be. Its a broken game mode that needs to be redone. It does nothing but destroy people in incessant losses.

As far as the damage inflicted on the enemy, so be it. In the Royal Navy during the Sail Age, no man did wrong by laying his ship along side of that enemy. And there were instances in records of 74's trashing superior ships of line from time to time.

If the enemy is so damaged as to be unable to continue after a spirited resistance then thats the end of them in due time.

There has been times Ive turned in a pretty good game by scoring and it does not matter, when it's a defeat. That is the damage of Ranked. Nothing more than Randoms in mini form.

[FOXY]
Members
3,376 posts
8,171 battles
8 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

At that point leave it be. Its a broken game mode that needs to be redone. It does nothing but destroy people in incessant losses.

As far as the damage inflicted on the enemy, so be it. In the Royal Navy during the Sail Age, no man did wrong by laying his ship along side of that enemy. And there were instances in records of 74's trashing superior ships of line from time to time.

If the enemy is so damaged as to be unable to continue after a spirited resistance then thats the end of them in due time.

There has been times Ive turned in a pretty good game by scoring and it does not matter, when it's a defeat. That is the damage of Ranked. Nothing more than Randoms in mini form.

I beg to differ on that. Im not the best player, and im running a COOP set up on my Scharn, with COOP skills on my captain. >.>

Ranked plays alot different from randoms from what ive seen, and at tier 7 its kinda fun!

One player means alot more in ranked than randoms, and ive gotten no salt, but i also dont sit in the back to earn it.

552990_20210521153452_1.png

552990_20210521153508_1.png

552990_20210521182813_1.png

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
380 posts
5,808 battles

That's just the nature of the vast Dunning-Kruger crowd in the game...You can hard carry doing everything right...and some clueless moron is going to spout off about how your doing it wrong...I had a DD on my team last night start the match in chat saying he was really bad...Then proceeded to play like it...Predictably he died in idiotic fashion then proceeded to whine about getting no support...We had all the Caps and were steamrolling to victory...He finished far and away at the bottom...it is what it is /shrug...I've been lucky that's been the extent of the salt so far + I've won every game in my Nelson (wow is it amazing in t7 ranked)...still....I know there is a whole lot of salt and toxicity over the horizon...

[WPORT]
Members
11,651 posts
15,961 battles

The maps being used in the current Bronze League are the same ones used in co-op & random battles (Tier-5/6/7), I think.

Personally, I think there are too many players trying to play like they do in a random battle.  (Slow pace, hide & camp, remain too far from the caps to actually accomplish much of anything, & etc.)

The players & teams who tend to succeed are adding-in several dollops of co-op style aggression and not camping.

And, yes, marksmanship and map positioning and ordnance-dodging skills still apply.  

So far, this season of Ranked battles has been interesting and fun, for me.  It's also a great opportunity to train Commanders.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,092 posts

I also had some good luck with the Scharnhorst. The more i play that thing the more I really get to enjoy that warship. I dont always survive a ranked match with it because Im generally forward.

I could show up with a Colorado and plink from the cheap seats in the far back row....

Members
1,781 posts
8 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Personally, I think there are too many players trying to play like they do in a random battle.  (Slow pace, hide & camp, remain too far from the caps to actually accomplish much of anything, & etc.)

The players & teams who tend to succeed are adding-in several dollops of co-op style aggression and not camping.

Yeah, in 7v7 you have far less opportunity to use those support positions or go the long way around a flank and it shows in games with people not being used to take the initiative. When there are less players you can't hang back at first to see if anything develops, you have to do your part even if it is just pushing in aggressively.

[META_]
Members
324 posts
4,392 battles
30 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Yeah, in 7v7 you have far less opportunity to use those support positions or go the long way around a flank and it shows in games with people not being used to take the initiative. When there are less players you can't hang back at first to see if anything develops, you have to do your part even if it is just pushing in aggressively.

Yep, games where your whole team goes for the flank rarely turn out well.  See this especially on Strait.  Sending a DD around if you have one to spare can be good for catching people off-guard, but I've had games where the entire team (CV included) went the long way around only to die as soon as they came around the corner.

Sign in to follow this