You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
exilicus

Why I will be taking a break

26 comments in this topic

[AGSG]
Members
62 posts
6,176 battles

First, my clan that I played with for 3 years has all stopped playing. 50 members of which only 2 of use have logged in the last 6 months. My friend and I ended up leaving and forming our own clan since everyone else is gone now. However, that got me thinking; where did everyone go? Why did they leave? Am I having fun anymore? My conclusion was to take a break from the game, and for what it's worth I wanted to offer my feedback as an average player, who spends money on the game, and has played for a long time. So why am I taking a break?

1.) General Sleaze - This is a hard one because there are so many examples. Over the years the community has dealt with rigged containers, dockyard shenanigans, denied refunds, DMCA abuse, questionable advertising, and on, and on. Honestly this could be its own topic. Everything with WG requires reading the fine print, scouring the forums, double checking the policies, fighting with support, and requires massive outrage in order to have common decency. This Kong 'voice over' is the latest example of what I call 'general sleaze' behavior, and I am just tired of it. I want to get what I pay for, I want you to stand by your commitments, I want you to give me a refund if I am not satisfied without needing an internet wide protest and uproar. I am happy to give WG money, at least I used to be. I just want you to stand behind what you are selling, be honest about what your selling, and treat us like you don't hate us. We are your customers, you shouldn't be trying to trick us or mislead us into spending money. Sadly this isn't just a one off this is standard operating procedure at WG. About every 6 months there is something new being sold that is blatantly misleading and it needs to stop. 

2.) Matchmaking - This is not going to be a rant about balancing matchmaking with regards to player skill. I am very frustrated with MM as it pertains to CV's. Please make a decision either have a CV in every game, or get rid of them. It is insane to have AA equipment, AA commander skills, and AA cooldowns, to select all of this as your loadout and then not get a CV for 3 games. This happens all the time and it is extremely frustrating, and borders on inept design. Why should I be punished for speccing AA? I swear every time I load my ship for AA the CV pool dries up, but at soon as I decide to try my secondary GK or my Khab, CV's for days. Should I spec AA? Should I not? I have no idea anymore because I never know if I will face a CV or not. This is the only class in the game, except for very rare instances, where this is the case. 

3.) Balance - I don't really care as much about which ship is the best, or what is meta, I care about having choices. I want to have a reason to sail my ships, I want them each to feel fun and enjoyable. I look at my port at ships like GK, Montanna, Khab and I never want to sail them anymore. I just simply have better ships, that objectively perform better. I can still have good games in these boats but am I the only person who feels like a lot of the older ships have just been completely left behind? Why? Why can't we go back and bring these guys up? Same problem with commander skills after this latest rework. BB's are down to basically one build now, swift in silence is just going to make that problem worse. Who is testing this? What BB captain at WG things SIS is a skill worthy of 4 points?  I just feel like the game is becoming more linear with every update, less and less choice, everyone is being funneled toward the same ships and the same builds. Colombo just released and I barely see this ship in my games. But I see 3-4 Thunders, Shimakazes, Hallands, Petros, in every  game. Does anyone see the Goliath? Ever? Does anyone see the Khab anymore? I certainly don't. This is not ok. I understand that any ship can be good in the right players hands, and I embrace that philosophy, but at some point when certain ships are just not being sailed by anyone, and certain commander skills are not being used by anyone, isn't it time to do something? 

That said, I am going to get some air. With subs on the horizon, the newly implemented AH mechanic, and Dutch air drops looming, now seems like as good a time as any for a little break. I hope the trend of the game changes a bit, I hope WG changes a bit, and I really hope that my friends that used to play this game start coming back and I can have fun again. I also hope that the folks out there more articulate than myself can persuade WG over time and get this thing turned the right direction. Thanks for the read and good luck captains!

Edited by exilicus
  • Cool 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 4

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,499 posts
7,176 battles

There is NOTHING wrong with taking a break man. 

When you get back, check out the Salvo clan. We're a swell group of people. Some of us go full in competitive, some of us are filthy casuals. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,749 posts
6 minutes ago, exilicus said:

First, my clan that I played with for 3 years has all stopped playing...

I never "take a break" from games per se but real life has a way of occasionally putting you on a break from them anyway. I may not play a game for a month, three months, or even half a year. Sooner of later though I'll get the itch to come back. I probably would have stopped playing WOWS altogether a couple of years ago were it not for the CV rework, which added some much needed life into the game. The forum community also tends to keep me checking in from time to time, even when I'm not playing.

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles

Sorry to point out... The majority of the OPs complaints are 2 years too late...

• CVs as a mechanic is getting expanded to other ship classes...
  • MM is not the problem... Its the fall guy to whatever people want to complain about...
  • BBs/CVs especially at high tiers have BENEFITED from power creep since patch 0.7.0 to current...

OP sometimes the game evolves to something we did not bargin for when we first played... One thing WG is consistent on, they will never alter the course of the game because of discontent from the forum...

If you stay OP cool... If you leave, I will you well in your next MMO game...

GL

• Meh 4

Members
397 posts
2 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sorry to point out... The majority of the OPs complaints are 2 years too late...

• MM is not the problem... Its the fall guy to whatever people want to complain about...
  • BBs/CVs especially at high tiers have BENEFITED from power creep since patch 0.7.0 to current...

OP sometimes the game evolves to something we did not bargin for when we first played... One thing WG is consistent on, they will never alter the course of the game because of discontent from the forum...

GL

Subs are going to play havoc on BBs, and the new airstrike (if it goes live) is also going to set them afire to no avail if they are not moving. That new airstrike is a great way to just delete a CV off the map. 

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
2 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

Subs are going to play havoc on BBs, and the new airstrike (if it goes live) is also going to set them afire to no avail if they are not moving. That new airstrike is a great way to just delete a CV off the map. 

It is what it is... I stay away from tiers 9 and 10 if you can... Its not worth it...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,749 posts
13 minutes ago, exilicus said:

First, my clan that I played with for 3 years has all stopped playing.

I'm in a clan. I have no idea who any of them are. It's just for the oil benefits. It would be interesting to be in a clan that participated in clan battles though. Or maybe not, it seems that some of the "competitive" clans are full of prima donnas who would kick you out if your win rate or PR fell a half a percent.

1.) General Sleaze - This is a hard one because there are so many examples.

The only thing WG has done that has ticked me off is some of the heavy-handed forum moderation. And that's not WG per se but usually some moderator they've hired who has a chip on their shoulder about something. As far as feeling "cheated" I can say that I've absolutely never felt this way because I play for free. It simply amazes me how many "goodies" WG gives to players who play the game for free.

2.) Matchmaking - This is not going to be a rant about balancing matchmaking with regards to player skill.

Matchmaking is random overall. I've collected data and tested this statistically. However, that doesn't mean that sometimes I'd like to play only with players within a narrow range of my own ability. This is why I like Ranked and its small teams of players who are more likely to be at about the same level.

As for spec'ing for something and then not getting to use it... Well, that's part of the choices you make in many games. You mention AA but what If I go full secondaries but then meet only BBs and long-range CAs? Tou make a decision and take a chance that your decision was right.

3.) Balance - I don't really care as much about which ship is the best, or what is meta, I care about having choices.

There are far too many ships now for me to even have an opinion on specific balance. However, I don't see too many powerful ships that can't be dealt with in some way or another. As far as "same builds" goes... Well, this is not just a "problem" with WOWS but all computer games. Usually there is an optimal build for a unit that most people take.

[AGSG]
Members
62 posts
6,176 battles
12 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

GL

In reference to your first 2 points, yes I agree with you sort of. CV's as a mechanic have expanded to other ships, which is great. However, not really related to what I said. I am frustrated because there is not always a CV in the game, which punishes players who specialize their ships to fight CV's, this is a direct result of the MM, which means the MM is the problem

I have no idea what your 3rd point is in reference to. Are you referencing something I said? I was talking about ships that seem not to be played very often, if you feel power creep has benefited CV's and BB's then that is cool I guess, but not really relevant I think?

Edited by exilicus

[46856]
Members
2,256 posts
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Well, this is not just a "problem" with WOWS but all computer games.

OP is not playing other games he is playing wows. That there above is a cop out statement. - only schmucks use that excuse.

OP's interest is in WoWS and WOWS floating turd of a balance problem, not other games.

• Cool 2

[AGSG]
Members
62 posts
6,176 battles
38 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

First, my clan that I played with for 3 years has all stopped playing.

I'm in a clan. I have no idea who any of them are. It's just for the oil benefits. It would be interesting to be in a clan that participated in clan battles though. Or maybe not, it seems that some of the "competitive" clans are full of prima donnas who would kick you out if your win rate or PR fell a half a percent.

1.) General Sleaze - This is a hard one because there are so many examples.

The only thing WG has done that has ticked me off is some of the heavy-handed forum moderation. And that's not WG per se but usually some moderator they've hired who has a chip on their shoulder about something. As far as feeling "cheated" I can say that I've absolutely never felt this way because I play for free. It simply amazes me how many "goodies" WG gives to players who play the game for free.

2.) Matchmaking - This is not going to be a rant about balancing matchmaking with regards to player skill.

Matchmaking is random overall. I've collected data and tested this statistically. However, that doesn't mean that sometimes I'd like to play only with players within a narrow range of my own ability. This is why I like Ranked and its small teams of players who are more likely to be at about the same level.

As for spec'ing for something and then not getting to use it... Well, that's part of the choices you make in many games. You mention AA but what If I go full secondaries but then meet only BBs and long-range CAs? Tou make a decision and take a chance that your decision was right.

3.) Balance - I don't really care as much about which ship is the best, or what is meta, I care about having choices.

There are far too many ships now for me to even have an opinion on specific balance. However, I don't see too many powerful ships that can't be dealt with in some way or another. As far as "same builds" goes... Well, this is not just a "problem" with WOWS but all computer games. Usually there is an optimal build for a unit that most people take.

1.) I didn't say "cheated" I said "mislead" which they do often.

2.) No, if you spec secondary's they can shoot at something, the MM may not be Ideal but they are still useable. Spec for AA and get no CV and your build simply does not function, there is nothing to shoot at. While if you spec secondary and the battle stays long range it does suck, it doesn't remove your ability to use secondary batteries. The equivalent would be if you spec secondary battery and only fought planes. Your comparison is apples to oranges.

3.) How do you deal with a Thunderer in a GK? Also my main point was not one ship is stronger than another but rather there are quite a few ships that are not being sailed very much anymore for one reason or another and perhaps that should be evaluated. 

Edited by exilicus

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
1 hour ago, exilicus said:

I am frustrated because there is not always a CV in the game, which punishes players who specialize their ships to fight CV's, this is a direct result of the MM, which means the MM is the problem

Sorry, this is a distorted thinking our your part... MM only makes fleets up with whats in the queue (lobby)...

MM cannot (except at low tiers) create a population that is non-existent..

have no idea what your 3rd point is in reference to. Are you referencing something I said? I was talking about ships that seem not to be played very often, if you feel power creep has benefited CV's and BB's then that is cool I guess, but not really relevant I think?

This was in reference to BBs and HC you choose not to play... It has nothing to do with balance... Let the record show, from patch 0.7.0 to present... The following have benefited greatly

1. CVs
  2. BBs
  3. HC
  4. Tied for dead last are LC and DDs...
  5. Along with torps as an ordnance as a whole...

If you choose not to partake in the alpha ship class at high tiers... Then that is your choose rather then Balance...

To me, Balance means using the "Fair Play" Principle/Doctrine...Until I see that principle adapted back... High tiers will be reduced to the live "sandbox" server.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
593 posts
39 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Sorry, this is a distorted thinking our your part... MM only makes fleets up with whats in the queue (lobby)...

This was in reference to BBs and HC you choose not to play... It has nothing to do with balance... Let the record show, from patch 0.7.0 to present... The following have benefited greatly

1. CVs
  2. BBs
  3. HC

If you choose not to partake in the alpha ship class at high tiers... Then that is your choose rather then Balance...

To me, Balance means using the "Fair Play" Principle/Doctrine...Until I see that principle adapted back... High tiers will be reduced to the live "sandbox" server.

NP you would not happen to be a DD main would you?

Cirran

[AGSG]
Members
62 posts
6,176 battles
40 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

1. CVs
  2. BBs
  3. HC

If you think the player base all gravitating to the same ships and avoiding others has nothing to do with balance then I guess we just disagree. 

Your point on MM I don’t understand at all. Yes the MM is limited to the ships in que. The que could be longer, it could have cv bots at all tiers. Yes it’s not all the MM fault, but the MM in WOWS is not a strength. 

[PVE]
Members
11,201 posts
19,830 battles

It's really great with headphones.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[LF]
Members
283 posts
3 hours ago, exilicus said:

AH mechanic

What is t he AH mechanic? Thanks in advance!

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
1 hour ago, Cirran said:

NP you would not happen to be a DD main would you?

Cirran

Nope... I am for fair play/fair game for all classes... I advocate this doctrine because IMO, there has to be rules, boundaries and limitations within the ships tiers of operation.

• Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles

If you think the player base all gravitating to the same ships and avoiding others has nothing to do with balance then I guess we just disagree. 

Your point on MM I don’t understand at all. Yes the MM is limited to the ships in que. The que could be longer, it could have cv bots at all tiers. Yes it’s not all the MM fault, but the MM in WOWS is not a strength. 

From what I see... You understood it perfectly...

MM is limited to what it can do to make two fleets... Power creep just do not belong in WOWS... Fair play doctrine should be adapted for all ship class.

In the Current and past patch of the game... MM have been consistent in context of keeping tier ships in their assigned matches of operation...

So far in the forums... Not one complaint against MM have been validated... None... Lack of credible evidence,,

Players are gravitating to ships and avoiding others... For example, I avoid tiers 9 and 10 like the cop avoids salad bars... Today tiers 5 and 7 were played with zero AI/bots., in Randoms.

MM is the fall guy, its never the one pulling the strings.

[RLGN]
Members
16,845 posts
29,513 battles
4 hours ago, USMC_FMF said:

Have you actually seen this happen? Or are you making a presumption based on what you think will happen?

[AGSG]
Members
62 posts
6,176 battles
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

From what I see... You understood it perfectly...

MM is limited to what it can do to make two fleets... Power creep just do not belong in WOWS... Fair play doctrine should be adapted for all ship class.

In the Current and past patch of the game... MM have been consistent in context of keeping tier ships in their assigned matches of operation...

So far in the forums... Not one complaint against MM have been validated... None... Lack of credible evidence,,

Players are gravitating to ships and avoiding others... For example, I avoid tiers 9 and 10 like the cop avoids salad bars... Today tiers 5 and 7 were played with zero AI/bots., in Randoms.

MM is the fall guy, its never the one pulling the strings.

Honestly I have no idea what you are trying to say. I respect you seem to have a different opinion, but frankly I can not understand whatever point you are trying to make. Agree to disagree and I wish you well. 

As an aside your jab at law enforcement is tasteless and unnecessary. 

Edited by exilicus
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,749 posts
7 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

↑

I spent a solid minute trying to clean that speck off my screen.

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
3 hours ago, exilicus said:

As an aside your jab at law enforcement is tasteless and unnecessary. 

Sorry if you were offended by an innocent phrase... That was not the intent...

If you're the type of person that has no fun zone towards or can't joke about uniformed personal in a gaming platform... Then I digress.

Edited by Navalpride33

[WORX]
Members
14,361 posts
20,908 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

^^^ Treat it as a txt box there Snarg.. Click twice and backspace... it worked fine here...

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
16,625 posts
4,774 battles
16 hours ago, exilicus said:

I am frustrated because there is not always a CV in the game, which punishes players who specialize their ships to fight CV's, this is a direct result of the MM, which means the MM is the problem

shock.gif.bc3be5dd0edeebccd7274e2760450bc4.gif  Wait, WHAT??

You want MM to drop more CVs?  I didn't see that coming.

Look. MM can only drop what's in queue.  Not enough CVs? Div with 9ne.

Edited by iDuckman