You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
vak_

Småland = most balansed ship in the game

31 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles

Couple of personal bests in the past 24 hours:

1) Personal record for most airplanes shot down in a non RTS CV:

Z6jm2MX.jpg

2) Personal record for base XP:

iAPvMbA.jpg

Note that I destroyed every single DD on the enemy team in that game, four in total. Wish there was some sort of a epic award for that, kinda like Naidin's Medal in WoT ("awarded to a player who has destroyed all enemy Light Tanks in battle, at least 3")

S2H2Egy.jpg

Replay of this game with my commentary:

Most balanced ship in WoWS! Seriously, if you like DDs and didn't get Smaland before she went away, you're missing out big time :) She's both very fun and hilariously broken, no weaknesses at all.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
6,717 posts
7,321 battles

The fact that a Smaland can force at least a 1 to 1 exchange with any DD in the game is hilarious. 

I bet the removal of the Fearless Brawler penalty made it even more balanced.

[RLGN]
Members
16,845 posts
29,513 battles

All I know is that of my first five Randoms in it; three were <10k, one 19k-ish, and one had a decent enough amount of damage.

Pretty pathetic, considering Smaland’s rep, and my not exactly being a fan of the IKEA destroyers; except that all five games were wins...

Members
1,781 posts
14 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

All I know is that of my first five Randoms in it; three were <10k, one 19k-ish, and one had a decent enough amount of damage.

Pretty pathetic, considering Smaland’s rep, and my not exactly being a fan of the IKEA destroyers; except that all five games were wins...

She plays quite a bit different imho compared to Halland and the rest of the EU boats though. More like open water HE spam from a distance than torpedo boat, if you want to farm.

[RBMK]
Members
2,339 posts
36,769 battles
1 hour ago, vak_ said:

Z6jm2MX.jpg

iAPvMbA.jpg

Note that I destroyed every single DD on the enemy team in that game, four in total. Wish there was some sort of a epic award for that, kinda like Naidin's Medal in WoT ("awarded to a player who has destroyed all enemy Light Tanks in battle, at least 3")

S2H2Egy.jpg

Most balanced ship in WoWS! Seriously, if you like DDs and didn't get Smaland before she went away, you're missing out big time :) She's both very fun and hilariously broken, no weaknesses at all.

Yeah, I arrived at the DD party way too late to get it. Drats.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,090 posts

I use it now and then. Sometimes she gets clobbered, other times the opposite.

In terms of Converted FXP to get the required price, combined with ground FXP totaled almost 330 dollars US. Most expensive boat in the port.

• Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,845 posts
29,513 battles
26 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

She plays quite a bit different imho compared to Halland and the rest of the EU boats though. More like open water HE spam from a distance than torpedo boat, if you want to farm.

Think I spent most of my time trying to leverage the radar. Fourth and fifth games were the only half way decent ones damage wise.

Forced a Halland of all things out of a cap with torps in one game, (oh? someone capping and can’t be see? They’re obviously ‘there.’) Then sank a Georgia and bullied a Fletcher out of a cap before sinking it in another.

I tend to use my torps more than my guns, across all my destroyers, for good or ill.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
15 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

In terms of Converted FXP to get the required price, combined with ground FXP totaled almost 330 dollars US. Most expensive boat in the port.

Luckily I had a bunch of special signals saved up at that point, and still had some premium time remaining, so I just kept collecting first win bonuses until I hit 2 million XP. Wasn't too bad of a grind, actually.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

The fact that a Smaland can force at least a 1 to 1 exchange with any DD in the game is hilarious. 

I bet the removal of the Fearless Brawler penalty made it even more balanced.

Haha yup. "Oh no, I'm spotted" - hit U and proceed to wreck whoever dared to venture near you. Turret traverse speed is great, so it doesn't matter where that DD is, you can have your guns on that ship within seconds. With special module radar lasts 24 seconds, which is enough to kill or at least severely cripple anyone.

Fearless Brawler would be a cool skill to grab, but unfortunately I really like Priority Target, and Last Stand is a mandatory DD skill, so math works out in a way where I'd need to give up two 3-point skills for Fearless Brawler. Not worth it. Luckily, Smaland synergises really well with MBAAS, because it gives +10% continuous AA on top of gun reload boost. And of course, Swirski's improved Adrenaline Rush skill is simply amazing because it enhances guns, AA, and torpedoes -- all the things Smaland is good with.

YiwbZEm.jpg

I run the same captain on Halland, by the way.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Smaland is first and foremost a DD hunter. You don't necessarily need to have an ultra-high damage game to be impactful, as long as you kill or cripple DDs. It's a custom-made ship for very aggressive DD players that love to contest objectives and proactively screen.

Of course, in a pinch you can also torpedo ships, 12km range is very respectable, and tight spreads + fast reload + great speed makes these torpedoes pretty sweet.

That's what I mean when I say the ship has no weaknesses. Smaland can contest caps well, can screen well, can torpedo well, can knock airplanes out of the sky well (which enables you to do the aforementioned things much more aggressively). Perhaps for less experienced players lack of smoke could be considered a weakness, but I rarely miss it. I mean, what do you typically need smoke for anyway these days?

• Hide from airplanes -- Smaland doesn't need to hide, I actually often adjust my course to go towards the airplanes, so I can hit tilda when they're inside 4km and chuckle.
  • Hide from a strong enemy gunboat -- Smaland is the strong gunboat here, I often engage even the likes of Marceau or Haru without a second though, and your small concealment advantage helps initiate the exchange. Kleber is the only DD I'm sort of scared to tangle with because of the reload booster, but you outspot Klebers by 1.7km
  • Hide from a strong enemy force when you suddenly get spotted -- this is the only use case where you'd really need smoke, but with good positioning this shouldn't happen much. Plus often times the reason you got spotted is sudden radar, and smoke is useless in this scenario.
42 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Think I spent most of my time trying to leverage the radar. Fourth and fifth games were the only half way decent ones damage wise.

Forced a Halland of all things out of a cap with torps in one game, (oh? someone capping and can’t be see? They’re obviously ‘there.’) Then sank a Georgia and bullied a Fletcher out of a cap before sinking it in another.

I tend to use my torps more than my guns, across all my destroyers, for good or ill.

Much like with any other ship, you shouldn't overextend to use the radar, it will get you in trouble.

And yes, Halland is a much better torpedo boat. As I mentioned, Smaland can torpedo well too, but her main forte is knifefights with other DDs.

Members
1,781 posts
29 minutes ago, vak_ said:
46 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Luckily I had a bunch of special signals saved up at that point, and still had some premium time remaining, so I just kept collecting first win bonuses until I hit 2 million XP. Wasn't too bad of a grind, actually.

I got insanely lucky when I whaled a bit on the black friday boxes, all the ships and enough fxp for Smaland. But she is worth 2M fxp.

Might I ask how you have set her up? Can't really decide between concealment and range, especially now that Fearless Brawler got buffed. Edit: nvm, I just saw it. screenshot did not render before.

Edited by shinytrashcan

[RLGN]
Members
16,845 posts
29,513 battles
5 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Smaland is first and foremost a DD hunter. You don't necessarily need to have an ultra-high damage game to be impactful, as long as you kill or cripple DDs.

Made certain to note radar ships, then worked to exposed red destroyers or ships in general.

It's a custom-made ship for very aggressive DD players that love to contest objectives and proactively screen.

Not exactly my forte.

Of course, in a pinch you can also torpedo ships, 12km range is very respectable, and tight spreads + fast reload + great speed makes these torpedoes pretty great.

Something I was constantly doing; though that 3-5 thing tended to weird me out.

That's what I mean when I say the ship has no weaknesses. Smaland can contest caps well, can screen well, can torpedo well, can knock airplanes out of the sky well (which enables you to do the aforementioned things much more aggressively). Perhaps for less experienced players lack of smoke could be considered a weakness, but I rarely miss it.

The five games I mentioned were my first five Randoms in Smaland. For all I derisively call the IKEAs ‘no smoke destroyers,’ I can’t really recall not having smoke being that big a deal.

Much like with any other ship, you shouldn't push too much to use the radar, it will get you in trouble.

One of the first three games that was sorta the case; but I died to a KitKat’s torps, (which seems to be how I normally get sunk fighting other DDs,) instead of getting swamped by gunfire.

And yes, Halland is a much better torpedo boat, naturally. As I mentioned, Smaland can torpedo well too, but her main forte is knifefights with other DDs.

Don’t have Halland, (or anything past Gryf for that matter, except Blyskawica and Friesland,) so I can’t really say.

Tend to avoid fighting other destroyers, such at it so much as I do. Prefer stalking ambushes.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
25 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

I got insanely lucky when I whaled a bit on the black friday boxes, all the ships and enough fxp for Smaland. But she is worth 2M fxp.

Might I ask how you have set her up? Can't really decide between concealment and range, especially now that Fearless Brawler got buffed.

Totally worth the 2 million, agree.

And sure. The captain skills are in the post above. I would've highly recommended to get Swirski if you don't have him, but I just checked the armory, and he's not available, I guess.

As for my modules:

RMSyRyh.jpg

Basically, survivability, utility and gun DPM is the name of the game when it comes to skills and modules. The only torpedo-related module I run is in the third slot (why not make fast torps even faster), though I also experimented with one in the sixth slot (and decided it wasn't worth it)

1 hour ago, shinytrashcan said:

I'd say she's a dedicated knife-fighting DD. I've actually really missed that gamestyle a lot after the carrier rework, because often times it's too risky to put yourself out there. With Smaland you aren't really scared of carriers, only the really good ones can mess you up, and at that point it's fair to be outplayed.

I open-water gunboat with Smaland from time to time, but not often. Instead, if I do attack capital ships, I prefer to do it from behind terrain. Shells are floaty enough to make it work with relative ease.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
24 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Made certain to note radar ships, then worked to exposed red destroyers or ships in general.

True, radar ships are a danger to Smaland just like to any other DD. Though again, she's uniquely equipped to mitigate the damage they cause because of heals and super speed boost.

Not exactly my forte.

Then yeah, perhaps Smaland might not seem as OP and broken as she seems to me :) She excels at bullying DDs, and is just merely good at torpedoing, setting things on fire and making carriers cry.

Something I was constantly doing; though that 3-5 thing tended to weird me out.

Yeah, it's annoying that you can't reliably select one of the torpedo launchers (the 5 torp one seems to go first, but not in 100% of cases). However, the tight spreads make even the 3 torpedo launcher pretty useful. Combinations of loose and tight spreads gives a lot of tactical flexibility that other DDs lack.

The five games I mentioned were my first five Randoms in Smaland. For all I derisively call the IKEAs ‘no smoke destroyers,’ I can’t really recall not having smoke being that big a deal.

Yup. With enough experience playing DDs, one can get by just fine without smoke. The fact that nobody can outspot you without immediately getting radared and clubbed helps a lot.

Don’t have Halland, (or anything past Gryf for that matter, except Blyskawica and Friesland,) so I can’t really say.

If you like torp boats, I'd really recommend Halland. She's even more dangerous to carriers that Smaland, so separating from the fleet to set up cross drops is not a big deal. 15km range makes a lot of difference comparing to 12, same with two extra torpedoes. Alpha isn't exactly amazing, but with fast reload you can get floodings that stick more often than other DDs: with torpedo module, torpedo reload skill and some damage to enable AR, reload times can get as low as a ~minute.

Members
1,781 posts
28 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Tend to avoid fighting other destroyers, such at it so much as I do. Prefer stalking ambushes. 

The grind to Halland is meh at times, but Halland is pretty strong and can definitely be played as a torpedo boat.

29 minutes ago, vak_ said:

And sure. The captain skills are in the post above. I would've highly recommended to get Swirski if you don't have him, but I just checked the armory, and he's not available, I guess.

As for my modules:

RMSyRyh.jpg

Basically, survivability, utility and gun DPM is the name of the game when it comes to skills and modules. The only torpedo-related module I run is in the third slot (why not make fast torps even faster), though I also experimented with one in the sixth slot (and decided it wasn't worth it)

Thanks, I saw the captain right after I posted my reply; somehow it didn't appear before or I derped and missed it. I run better turret traverse on slot 3, but that is more a matter of convenience. In slot 2 I actually run the speed boost module, which saved my bacon quite a lot of times actually.

30 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I'd say she's a dedicated knife-fighting DD. I've actually really missed that gamestyle a lot after the carrier rework, because often times it's too risky to put yourself out there. With Smaland you aren't really scared of carriers, only the really good ones can mess you up, and at that point it's fair to be outplayed. 

I open-water gunboat with Smaland from time to time, but not often. Instead, if I do attack capital ships, I prefer to do it from behind terrain. Shells are floaty enough to make it work with relative ease.

I have her set up for that for Ranked, but in randoms I miss the extra range at times. Not that I can make much use of it, but it was just nice to be outside secondary range.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
10 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

The grind to Halland is meh at times, but Halland is pretty strong and can definitely be played as a torpedo boat.

Yep. Grind is meh, Oland at T8 in particularly is horrid, I FXP'd her. But then Oster at T9 is pretty good, and Halland is great.

Seems to be a WG pattern lately. New USN BBs, RM BBs, new KM DDs -- grind is sort of painful until T9, then things get interesting.

I run better turret traverse on slot 3, but that is more a matter of convenience. In slot 2 I actually run the speed boost module, which saved my bacon quite a lot of times actually.

Agree, both are valid alternatives.

I have her set up for that for Ranked, but in randoms I miss the extra range at times. Not that I can make much use of it, but it was just nice to be outside secondary range.

Problem with Smaland shells is that they get pretty floaty even at 11.4 km. Extra range is mostly useful against targets that don't maneuver, or slow BBs. I'd much rather have the extra DPM for knifefights; if I want to troll BBs at distance with DD guns, there is always Kleber :)

As for secondaries, I'm not much afraid of them after the skill accuracy change. Played a Massachusetts game today and secondaries were so bad I almost removed her from my list of primary ships :(

[CAAT]
Members
2,355 posts
5,447 battles
3 hours ago, vak_ said:

Z6jm2MX.jpg

iAPvMbA.jpg

S2H2Egy.jpg

Just Balanstm

Translator's note: Balans does not mean balanced in any way, shape, form, timeline, era, etc.

Members
937 posts

Smaland is a beast in Ranked. I sadly I wasted my free XP on Research Bureau (*mutters quietly to self*) and never picked one up. Smalands may not be great in Randoms, but they are god tier in Ranked if you know how to use them. I actually stopped playing Gold league because I was up against multiple Smalands each game, and no tech tree ship could combat them enough. Granted, now I have the Vampire II so who knows.

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
10 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Smaland is a beast in Ranked. I sadly I wasted my free XP on Research Bureau (*mutters quietly to self*) and never picked one up. Smalands may not be great in Randoms, but they are god tier in Ranked if you know how to use them. I actually stopped playing Gold league because I was up against multiple Smalands each game, and no tech tree ship could combat them enough.

Smaland is amazing for Randoms!

I haven't played Ranked since they've revamped the reward system, but yeah, she's probably even stronger there.

10 minutes ago, guns_at_last_light said:

Granted, now I have the Vampire II so who knows.

Unfortunately, I don't think Vampire II can do much against Smaland. Radar all but negates the plays you can do with smoke + hydro, unless Smaland captain makes a mistake. A Daring would probably be better for that particular matchup -- at least you have heal.

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
404 posts
10,956 battles
3 hours ago, vak_ said:

Z6jm2MX.jpg

iAPvMbA.jpg

S2H2Egy.jpg

could you somehow show those games? replay, youtube, twitch... 
I did not miss Smaland, but watching a pro play would be nice to learn to use it better :)

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles
2 hours ago, crazyrom said:

could you somehow show those games? replay, youtube, twitch... 
I did not miss Smaland, but watching a pro play would be nice to learn to use it better :)

Ok, I'll even record a commentary for the second game and post the link here, though honestly it was just a combination of decent positioning and luck :)

[KWF]
Members
6,717 posts
7,321 battles
7 hours ago, vak_ said:

Fearless Brawler would be a cool skill to grab, but unfortunately I really like Priority Target, and Last Stand is a mandatory DD skill, so math works out in a way where I'd need to give up two 3-point skills for Fearless Brawler. Not worth it. Luckily, Smaland synergises really well with MBAAS, because it gives +10% continuous AA on top of gun reload boost. And of course, Swirski's improved Adrenaline Rush skill is simply amazing because it enhances guns, AA, and torpedoes -- all the things Smaland is good with.

YiwbZEm.jpg

Personally I loved Priority Target and used it everywhere. The "assume everyone is targetting you anyway in a DD" works at times, but not that much. Still trying to get used to not running it. But yeah, fair enough, that build looks solid. In general I believe Smaland is somewhat starved for 4 point skills. I could see RPF as well being a decent pick.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,090 posts
9 hours ago, vak_ said:

I recently was able to accumulate a few million FXP in the recent batch of containers with piles of special flags combined with 200% event on all ships played. Glorious. Those were promptly used carefully to build some new 21 commanders and finish some other things.

Im actually pretty close to a nelson on pure FXP. The RP retraining project was put on hold until the nelson was purchased in the next few weeks.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
4,090 posts
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Personally I loved Priority Target and used it everywhere. The "assume everyone is targetting you anyway in a DD" works at times, but not that much. Still trying to get used to not running it. But yeah, fair enough, that build looks solid. In general I believe Smaland is somewhat starved for 4 point skills. I could see RPF as well being a decent pick.

There are certain skills I use on the DD's and the first three on the far right followed by  concealment is the foundation.

Then on a big enough captian the 4 point skills are added. Firsly the speed boost then the RPF etc. If there is anything left it might go to something useful.

There are still some DD's I am working on acquiring and building commanders to go with them in due time. Kitikaze being one example.

[VIGIL]
Members
478 posts
14 hours ago, vak_ said:

YiwbZEm.jpg

What captain is that? :)