Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Waylon112

Ohio...

36 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
138 posts
4,820 battles

I know this might be blasphemy, and I only have 13 games in her,  but I am not impressed with the Ohio, not even a little bit and it's very frustrating to say the least.

I only play co-op so like all my BBs I Don't concern myself with super tanky builds but I'm finding I have to do that on the Ohio or I burn to the ground.

Also the secondaries. I've done a full secondary build and people talk about the Ohio as being a good secondary ship. In my opinion the GK secondaries are 50% better, and on a one-on-one with a GK 9 out the 10 times I will delete the Ohio. I've come to find out that the Ohio is not a really good brawler.

The other thing I find bothersome other than the molasses slow muzzle velocity is the lack of damage the 457's do to other ships.  I just haven't figured this ship out yet and I'm very frustrated I think I have to learn how to land shells coming from orbit versus a horizontal trajectory.

This is with a 21-point captain. I'm running all the flags. I've tried the same exact build I do on my GK but that didn't work. So now I'm running a hybrid build. I abandoned going for the faster reload in favor of the lower dispersion in hopes that something will hit the mark,  any help would be appreciated. I know some of you guys can make the ship sing.  I'm just trying to figure out how.

Sorry for the rant. It was just a lot of work to grind her.

[FOXY]
Members
3,397 posts
8,171 battles
6 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

I know this might be blasphemy, and I only have 13 games in her,  but I am not impressed with the Ohio, not even a little bit and it's very frustrating to say the least.

I only play co-op so like all my BBs I Don't concern myself with super tanky builds but I'm finding I have to do that on the Ohio or I burn to the ground.

Also the secondaries. I've done a full secondary build and people talk about the Ohio as being a good secondary ship. In my opinion the GK secondaries are 50% better, and on a one-on-one with a GK 9 out the 10 times I will delete the Ohio. I've come to find out that the Ohio is not a really good brawler.

The other thing I find bothersome other than the molasses slow muzzle velocity is the lack of damage the 457's do to other ships.  I just haven't figured this ship out yet and I'm very frustrated I think I have to learn how to land shells coming from orbit versus a horizontal trajectory.

This is with a 21-point captain. I'm running all the flags. I've tried the same exact build I do on my GK but that didn't work. So now I'm running a hybrid build. I abandoned going for the faster reload in favor of the lower dispersion in hopes that something will hit the mark,  any help would be appreciated. I know some of you guys can make the ship sing.  I'm just trying to figure out how.

Well, the GK cant be citadeled in a brawl, while the Ohio easily can if the player..i mean bot doesnt angle at all, which they dont. This gives you a huge advantage against a bot Ohio. As to angling i usually try and keep a 15 degree angle on, against most BBs its enough they cant get citadels and you can easily unmask your back two turrets.

This is the build my captain uses, its great, full secondaries too.

for the 457s you want to get those citadel hits, and they are easy to do with the amount of armor they can plow through. Aim at the water line of most BBs(Russian and English are the exceptions) for that and well..good luck getting Cits against the KMS line. If bow on i shoot HE for fires.

I dont run flags most of the time either >.>

552990_20210521125628_1.png

• Thanks 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,277 posts
22,562 battles
13 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

Ohio is not more flammable than other T10 battleships. They literally all have the same fire resistance.

14 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

Also the secondaries. I've done a full secondary build and people talk about the Ohio as being a good secondary ship.

Before the captain skill rework, yes.

14 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

The other thing I find bothersome other than the molasses slow muzzle velocity

If you want muzzle velocity don't play USN BBs.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,407 posts
12,113 battles
13 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

Traditionally, German secondaries have enhanced penetration, while the US secondaries on MA, GA, and OH have enhanced accuracy. German secondaries tend to perform better against battleships because they can pen thicker armor, while the aforementioned USN secondaries are better against cruisers and DDs because you could actually hit targets near max range. I say “could” because high tier secondary builds lost quite a bit of accuracy in the skill rework.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,570 posts
13,024 battles

Well all the BBs are a little less strong then they were with the secondary’s being nerfed  and no dead eye . There not what they once were but there still very powerful I guess. We have to change up strategy now no brawling no sitting back have to play in the middle some what . 

Edited by clammboy

[CO-OP]
Members
3,941 posts
31,955 battles

For co-op, Ohio should be played at mid-range, and avoid protracted brawls.  If you use Close Quarters Combat skill (and full secondary range,) I would try to keep ranges no closer than 8.5-9 kms.  Ohio has some of the best guns in game.  

Ask @AdmiralThunder to division with you.

• Thanks 1

[BEA5T]
Members
5,508 posts
26,180 battles
44 minutes ago, Waylon112 said:

Ok, I'm not a very good player.  But, take a gander of this:

shot-21_05.13_15_04.45-0716.thumb.jpg.7637c564717fc11cd3888960abec7a24.jpg

I have a median value of :

shot-21_05.21_06_30.47-0753.thumb.jpg.d3c84a73d829ab981d1d3e89b1674d92.jpg

Almost 280K in this ship.....   Low end wins in a 2x7 are in the 190K range. 

The Ohio is a freaking beast in COOP.  It's all in how you position yourself and use the tools that ship provides.

And, let me reiterate, I am an average COOP type....  If I can do this, one handed, and I am a disabled Veteran, you can outdo me in these ^^^ kind of scores.

A hint:  play only the Ohio for a few days.  There are some nuances to her Armor and ability to seriously take apart smaller ships (a good secondary build in COOP !)

Hope this helps !    The Ohio is one tough monster.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,491 posts
11,210 battles

Ohio is pretty wicked to use in brawling within co op, because it has one of the fastest turret traverse speed among the battleships and that is really important to have if you're brawling close range.

shot-21_04.26_20_15.43-0143.jpg.68e79fe55192b306764019817611e60e.jpg

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,691 posts
19,781 battles
1 minute ago, Vader_Sama said:

one of the fastest turret traverse speed among the battleships

Which upgrades do you have fitted that might alter rotation, and are you running Grease the Gears in either the normal or enhanced (e.g. Halsey) version? 

[WOLFC]
Members
3,407 posts
12,113 battles
10 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Which upgrades do you have fitted that might alter rotation, and are you running Grease the Gears in either the normal or enhanced (e.g. Halsey) version? 

Looks like that is with a build fully invested in turret traverse: one of the enhanced American commanders with Grease the Gears and MBM2, without MBM3.

Edited by Nevermore135

[PVE]
Members
138 posts
4,820 battles
43 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have John doe and I took the grease the gears which is also highlighted under that captain.  I also went with 11% tighter dispersion rather than the faster reload so my turrets spin plenty fast. The problem is trying to hit things. I have to get used to the slow velocity and high shell arc compared to the GK.

Hampton roads, I appreciate the mid-range brawler. I kind of figured that out but I was hoping it wasn't the case.

lert the Ohio. It's not more flammable than any other ship, but when it takes me three or four times as long to sink the enemy flamethrowers than it does in the GK...

Princess Daystar, thank you for that build I will give it a chance.

Asym_KS,  You're a lot better than you give yourself credit for. 

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
1 hour ago, Waylon112 said:

No need to apologize. I can imagine how frustrating it must be to put that kind of time and resources into a ship you don't click with. BUT, Ohio is an absolute BEAST in Co-op. You just need to learn how to play it and once you do you will love it. 

• Ohio doesn't burn any easier than any of the other T10 BB's. They ALL burn easy. Bot fire RNG is absurd.  Plan on spending 3/4+ of the game burning. :fish_palm:
  • Secondary's. Ohio IS a good secondary ship. Very good actually. However you have to take the Capt Skill Rebork into account which seriously nerfed all secondary BB's. Prior to the nerf a full build Ohio could just melt a DD or Cruiser like butter on a hot pan. Now it is just a warm pan LOL. The accuracy of all BB's, not just Ohio, just took a massive hit because of the Rebork. By current standards it is still very good. A "full build" however means SBM1 + AAM2 for modules and then LRSBS + ISBA + CQC for skills. Don't forget the flag for +5% range too. I tried IFHE which bumps the pen from the stock 21MM to 26.25MM but it isn't worth it as you can't break the 27MM threshold you really need to plus the fire chance goes down significantly and Ohio's secondary's set a lot of fires. 21MM however is good enough. You won't get the raw damage you do from the KM BB's with their higher pen but you get good raw damage and lots of fires.
  • As to the 457MM's. They have a better alpha than even Yamato. They are the hardest hitting guns in game other than Shikishima's 510MM's. They hit really hard (too hard a lot of times with a lot of overpens). Ohio also gets a 2.0 sigma along with US BB dispersion so it is very accurate. You already ID'd your issue and that is you aren't used to the slow shells. As long as you aim right the 457MM's obliterate stuff. I get more 10K+ salvos from Ohio than any ship and I have 95%+ of them in game. They are brutal. I would suggest going into the training room with it and set the bots to move and not shoot back and practice your lead. I will even go with you and can be your target dummy instead of the bots LOL.
  • As said above go with AAM2 in slot 6 to boost secondary reload and your AA. Your base reload is fine at 27 sec so no need for MBM3 and stock accuracy is excellent so no need for APRM2. 

When I am in Ohio I go to a flank Cap, go to the flank in Epicenter, or stay off to the flank of the base in Standard. I try to avoid going middle as Ohio has Montana's hull which is very tough and tanky but does have a vulnerable citadel if you give broadside.  Basically get to the side (not map border LOL) so you  have shots at the broadsides of ships in the center or other side of map and at least one of your sides is protected. Then look for the juicy targets and blap away as you close in on whatever is in front of you.  

Ohio is an excellent brawler as you can get close angled and then zoom past for the driveby and just wipe stuff out. It has the turret rotation speed to do this very well. I play the ship super aggressive in brawls and get in really close. I like @HamptonRoads advice above overall but that is only until I pick my target and know going in won't put me in a bad spot where I will be focused from all sides. Never hesitate to get super close with Ohio as long as you can angle as it excels in 1v1's and even 1vmultiple (not on different sides). Fast reload, fast turrets, huge alpha, good accuracy, and overall very tough armor. It is a brawling beast. 

Give it some time and get used to the guns. Once you can hit with them you will love them. I will say now and then RNG trolls me big time with the guns and I can't hit a barn from inside the barn. But as a rule they are very accurate. I have 1 shot more stuff with Ohio than anything. It is possible it will never click with you. And while that sucks it is ok. There are ships that don't for me others rave about (hello IJN 410MM BB's I am talking about you guys - hate you! LOL). Hopefully you can get the guns figured out because it is such a good ship and it is well suited for the brawl meta of Co-op.

I love it and it is hands down my favorite ship in game. I don't lose much in it (even 1/8 or 2/7 and down alone vs many) and I don't die a lot either. I have an excellent MBH% in it despite shooting at everything I can regardless of range. Hands down it has my highest average damage total (and over 500+ games so no fluke), it has my best damage game in WOWS (407K), and it has the most 200K-300K+ games and 800-1000+ BXP games of any ship for me. And I have only had it 6 months and it has almost every record for me.  Some days it is all I play. It is a monster! :Smile_izmena:

• 200K-299K games - 37
  • 300K-399K games - 16
  • 400K+ games - 2
  • 800-899 BXP games - 20 (of the 188 in total I have)
  • 900-999 BXP games - 11 (of the 81 in total I have) 
  • 1000+ BXP games - 9 (of the 57 in total I have)

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
7 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Well, the GK cant be citadeled in a brawl

Oh yes it can! :Smile_teethhappy:

Bismarck, Tirpitz, FDG, and GK all share the same citadel vulnerability in close brawling. It is actually easy to do once you get used to it and know what to look for (ie; angle of target ship). Rather than trying to explain how I will just post the video from Aerroon that shows it which is where I learned how (had done it in the past but never knew why or how until I watched this). I will just add he only shows it working from the front but it can be done from the rear as well. I have got some massive blows in on KM BB's using this technique. You can even do it with smaller caliber guns like 356MM vs the T8's and 380MM vs the T9/T10. 

Here is a replay video of me in Minnesota. Watch near the end and how I take out the full HP FDG with 4 citadels up close brawling with it after killing the red Minnesota. Scroll ahead to 15 mins and watch from there.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[FOXY]
Members
3,397 posts
8,171 battles
15 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Oh yes it can! :Smile_teethhappy:

Bismarck, Tirpitz, FDG, and GK all share the same citadel vulnerability in close brawling. It is actually easy to do once you get used to it and know what to look for (ie; angle of target ship). Rather than trying to explain how I will just post the video from Aerroon that shows it which is where I learned how (had done it in the past but never knew why or how until I watched this). I will just add he only shows it working from the front but it can be done from the rear as well. I have got some massive blows in on KM BB's using this technique. You can even do it with smaller caliber guns like 356MM vs the T8's and 380MM vs the T9/T10. 

Here is a replay video of me in Minnesota. Watch near the end and how I take out the full HP FDG with 4 citadels up close brawling with it after killing the red Minnesota. Scroll ahead to 15 mins and watch from there.

You just blew my mind, not even gonna lie. I never thought to aim there.

Members
1,017 posts
2 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Well, the GK cant be citadeled in a brawl, while the Ohio easily can if the player..i mean bot doesnt angle at all, which they dont. This gives you a huge advantage against a bot Ohio. As to angling i usually try and keep a 15 degree angle on, against most BBs its enough they cant get citadels and you can easily unmask your back two turrets.

This is the build my captain uses, its great, full secondaries too.

for the 457s you want to get those citadel hits, and they are easy to do with the amount of armor they can plow through. Aim at the water line of most BBs(Russian and English are the exceptions) for that and well..good luck getting Cits against the KMS line. If bow on i shoot HE for fires.

I dont run flags most of the time either >.>

552990_20210521125628_1.png

Bots angle way better and more often than most players from my experience.

[FOXY]
Members
3,397 posts
8,171 battles
1 minute ago, Singularity_invader said:

Bots angle way better and more often than most players from my experience.

Id say it depends on the tier? Getting Citadels with a Salem against a Kremlin was..laughable to say the least, and of course 9 citadeling a Yamato is always fun~!

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,314 posts
6,955 battles

@AdmiralThunder: Just out of curiosity, which ship do you think is a better brawler, overall? GK or Ohio? :Smile_Default:

I'm personally sticking with GK... but then again, I have a bias for German ships in this game, lol. :Smile_trollface:

And even if I ever do the RB, I would probably not gonna go for Ohio anyway, lel. :Smile_trollface:

It makes me sad that the German toughness against close range citadel isn't entirely true. I wish WeeGee would do something about it... but alas, I know they will not. :Smile_sad:

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
4 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

You just blew my mind, not even gonna lie. I never thought to aim there.

:fish_boom::cap_like::Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
3 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

@AdmiralThunder: Just out of curiosity, which ship do you think is a better brawler, overall? GK or Ohio? :Smile_Default:

I'm personally sticking with GK... but then again, I have a bias for German ships in this game, lol. :Smile_trollface:

And even if I ever do the RB, I would probably not gonna go for Ohio anyway, lel. :Smile_trollface:

It makes me sad that the German toughness against close range citadel isn't entirely true. I wish WeeGee would do something about it... but alas, I know they will not. :Smile_sad:

Overall Ohio but GK is no slouch. GK has better secondary guns but Ohio is more maneuverable, has a faster reload (420MM) and much faster turrets. 

Members
1,017 posts
5 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Id say it depends on the tier? Getting Citadels with a Salem against a Kremlin was..laughable to say the least, and of course 9 citadeling a Yamato is always fun~!

Nope. I've seen as many high tier players as low tier ones who don't know how to angle their ships properly.

[FOXY]
Members
3,397 posts
8,171 battles
8 hours ago, Singularity_invader said:

Nope. I've seen as many high tier players as low tier ones who don't know how to angle their ships properly.

I meant bots, but yea ive seen lots of potatoes

Still tryin to figure out how to aim Munchen >.>

[T_O_P]
Members
650 posts
On 5/21/2021 at 12:48 PM, Waylon112 said:

To me Ohio is just Georgia with an extra turret. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,265 posts
27,038 battles

Ohio is my most effective Tier X Battleship in Co-Op, better even than my GK.  And I love my GK in Co-Op.

827WoeM.jpeg

[PVE]
Members
14,748 posts
31,408 battles
4 hours ago, Hammer_n_Sickle said:

To me Ohio is just Georgia with an extra turret. 

Actually, Ohio is MUCH better armored and tankier than Georgia. It's the whole Iowa/Missouri vs Montana thing again. Similar but still different.

• Iowa/Missouri = 9X 406MM, faster, little more nimble, and weaker armor
  • Montana = 12X 406MM, not as fast, little less nimble, and much better armor

Secondary guns and basically AA are a wash GA vs OH but the ships are different just like ^^^

• Georgia =  6X 457MM, faster (significantly), more nimble, and weaker armor
  • Ohio = 8X 457MM, not as fast (a lot slower actually), not as nimble, and much better armor  

Ohio has good enough armor to brawl and live if you make a mistake while Georgia doesn't. Georgia is more of a fast flanker.

Also, that extra turret on Ohio means a potential of 31,500 more damage in a salvo which is significant.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,314 posts
6,955 battles
On 5/22/2021 at 2:54 AM, Princess_Daystar said:

Still tryin to figure out how to aim Munchen >.>

Treat her like an USN light cruiser that hides behind an island, while lobbing shells at the enemies. That should give you a clue on how to aim with her, lol. :Smile_trollface:

That's what I mostly do, whenever I sail my Munchen, by hiding behind an island and setting the red bots on fire... and if any of them comes too close, I let them have the torpedoes, lel. :Smile_trollface:

Sign in to follow this