You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

First achievement obtained after achievement rewards were removed: Solo Warrior

28 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles

Got my third Solo Warrior last night in my second match of four that I played.  Neat. 

No signals of course, not that signals were the big deal for winning a Solo Warrior. 

Just thought it was a funny one to get as the first one after rewards were removed.

• Cool 6

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,734 posts
7 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Got my third Solo Warrior last night in my second match of four that I played.  Neat. 

No signals of course

Solo Warrior is its own reward. Congrats!

• Cool 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,875 posts
13,105 battles

Lol first rank match to got a double strike but I didn't expect flags but I forgot they were taking that out.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,801 posts
24,966 battles

Instead of reworking the rewards for achievements WG took the easy way out and removed the rewards. Probably best, though, because they seem to get a lot of "hate mail" whenever they "rework" something in the game.

Stellar achievement, @Helstrem! Those aren't easy to come by.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,819 posts
38,587 battles

Congrats on it - the only one I never got.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
6 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Congrats on it - the only one I never got.

Solo Warrior requires a lot of things to come together that are mostly out of your control before you even get the opportunity to go for it significantly under your control, and then most of the "opportunities" are marginal where you need to play exceptionally, the enemy needs to screw up and RNGesus needs to bless you.  Taken all in all this means that it is quite possible for a decent player with 40,000 matches under their belt to not have ever gotten it while a rank newbie (even before bots gave achievements) could have one in their first dozen matches.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles

Please tell me you weren't playing a CV...

I'm tired of serving Solo Warrior to CV's in a Golden Plate...

Last one I serve was for an AFK CV on top of everything... kinda infuriating.

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Last one I serve was for an AFK CV on top of everything... kinda infuriating.

Got my first one in Kongo by setting course, maximum speed and then having to leave the computer to attend to a toddler throwing a tantrum.  Got back to the computer about 45 minutes later to see if my 50% first win bonus had been blown to find that, yes, it had indeed, and by the way the AFK Kongo had won Solo Warrior.

Second one was in Nelson and I had to fight to earn it.  Needed to sink a BB and a DD to have the points to win.  If the low health enemy DD hadn't messed up I'd have lost on points, but he chose to reveal himself by firing at me despite being a 1-2 hit kill, so I killed him and won on points by the skin of my teeth.

I am sorry to disappoint you on this one, but it was in a CV.  I was in Tier VIII Implacable in a Tier X match.  We had all three caps and a three ship advantage at one point, but then I saw it all going to crap.  I saw what was developing in time to get the hell out of our backfield into what had been the enemy's backfield while delaying the enemy capping as much as I could.  The surviving Montana and a Felix Schultz swept our flank and into our backfield, Montana even got a shot off at me and did a little damage before I got an island in the way.  Enemy Gearing probably could have saved the game for his team if he had rushed to the obvious place I was heading rather than trying for a cap that would never produce enough points for a win in the given left.

I agree that getting it in a CV devalues it a bit, but in this case I don't think I passively earned it either.  I watched the mini-map, saw what was developing and played to maximize my chances of holding out.  I pretty much saved my team from pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

I agree that getting it in a CV devalues it a bit, but in this case I don't think I passively earned it either.  I watched the mini-map, saw what was developing and played to maximize my chances of holding out.  I pretty much saved my team from pulling defeat from the jaws of victory.

I don't want to devalue your effort, I'm sure you played your part in assuring the victory and of course it wouldn't had been possible without you. The point with CV's earning Solo Warrior is that it is most of the time a consequence of a team effort where the CV collects the reward (some of the time undeserving). Solo Warriors are achieved by building an early points advantage that you manage to defend after your team goes to hell, what's the role of a CV in capturing and holding Caps? ... it can be very significant tbh, but most of the time it isn't. I've been too many times in a situation where I spend the whole match busting my [edited] fighting and holding Caps (my Solo Warriors have been in DD or Cruisers) and finally dying on the last minute of the match, with the enemy team unable to surpass our points advantage, meanwhile a (sometime useless) back line sniper or CV gets rewarded with a Solo Warrior they totally don't deserve. 

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sore as the last time it happened to me the last standing survivor was an AFK CV. Imagine fighting hard the whole match with the handicap of having an AFK CV and in the end serving the Solo Warrior to the AFK...:Smile-angry:. Even the red team guys were mad (I ended trading my ship for a red one stalling our cap, so we won on a handful of points) still remember their chat "Good job, you just gave Solo Warrior to an AFK CV"... but it was that or losing and I'm not losing on purpose.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
18 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

The point with CV's earning Solo Warrior is that it is most of the time a consequence of a team effort where the CV collects the reward (some of the time undeserving).

That is true of most Solo Warrior achievements, regardless of the type of ship.  The vast majority that I have seen have involved going dark and running out the clock rather than fighting.  DDs and CVs are particularly prone to this method, but I have seen CA/CLs and even BBs win it that way.  I mean, functionally, that is how my Kongo got it.

The "come from behind, had to fight and claw for the lead" are the rare ones.  Even in my Nelson example my team was never behind on points, it is just that without those kills I got at the end we would have been overtaken.

EDIT:

If I had just done the CV hide behind a rock and not watch the mini-map thing the Montana and Felix Schultz would have sunk me, and I wouldn't have been the last ship on my team to sink.  I had to see what was developing and bug out well in advance of the full collapse.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 1

[KMS]
[KMS]
3,875 posts
13,105 battles
17 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I don't want to devalue your effort, I'm sure you played your part in assuring the victory and of course it wouldn't had been possible without you. The point with CV's earning Solo Warrior is that it is most of the time a consequence of a team effort where the CV collects the reward (some of the time undeserving). Solo Warriors are achieved by building an early points advantage that you manage to defend after your team goes to hell, what's the role of a CV in capturing and holding Caps? ... it can be very significant tbh, but most of the time it isn't. I've been too many times in a situation where I spend the whole match busting my [edited] fighting and holding Caps (my Solo Warriors have been in DD or Cruisers) and finally dying on the last minute of the match, with the enemy team unable to surpass our points advantage, meanwhile a (sometime useless) back line sniper or CV gets rewarded with a Solo Warrior they totally don't deserve. 

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sore as the last time it happened to me the last standing survivor was an AFK CV. Imagine fighting hard the whole match with the handicap of having an AFK CV and in the end serving the Solo Warrior to the AFK...:Smile-angry:. Even the red team guys were mad (I ended trading my ship for a red one stalling our cap, so we won on a handful of points) still remember their chat "Good job, you just gave Solo Warrior to an AFK CV"... but it was that or losing and I'm not losing on purpose.

Sure CV can not get the solo warrior and just die so you get the L instead.  Christ.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
2 minutes ago, Nachoo31 said:

Sure CV can not get the solo warrior and just die so you get the L instead.  Christ.

That is overly harsh.  He bluntly states that choice in the post that you quote and that he won't take a loss willingly.  He was given the choice and chose the win and the AFK CV getting Solo Warrior.

The one caveat I'd give is that it didn't matter that it was a CV.  AFK is AFK and those are almost always hidden in the back just due to spawn points.  He seems a bit perturbed that it was an AFK CV rather than an AFK player getting Solo Warrior, and that really doesn't seem relevant.

[SALVO]
Members
9,489 posts
6,975 battles
24 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

The one caveat I'd give is that it didn't matter that it was a CV.  AFK is AFK and those are almost always hidden in the back just due to spawn points.  He seems a bit perturbed that it was an AFK CV rather than an AFK player getting Solo Warrior, and that really doesn't seem relevant.

You are right, undeserved/AFK Solo Warriors are not a prerrogative of CVs, it happens in any ship. I mentioned CVs because ime they are a bit more likely given their increased survival rate, and my previous experience.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
4 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

You are right, undeserved/AFK Solo Warriors are not a prerrogative of CVs, it happens in any ship. I mentioned CVs because ime they are a bit more likely given their increased survival rate, and my previous experience.

I don't think anybody could argue with that.  The CV hull being, most often, far in the rear gives it the best inherent shot at the achievement.  I'd say a DD that survives to the end is in about as good a position to run the clock out as a CV, but most DDs don't survive to that point.

[BUOY]
Members
1,486 posts
17,520 battles

I have one Solo Warrior thanks to the Benham being able to sink a charging red team only slightly slower than the red team is sinking the potatoes and hapless on your team.

Most awards I've ever gotten in a match too, Solo Warrior, Kraken, High Cal, Confed, Double Strike, Witherer, 3x Dev Strikes.

But yeah aside from AFK SW's props to anyone who has gotten one legit. I've only seen 8 in my entire time, 2 were DD's that basically won their flank and we had cap control in domination. 2 were DD's in standard battle cap outs. 1 was a Kamikaze R basically doing what I did because Kamikaze things. 1 was a .8.0 Hakuryu 'duel' seeing which of them could corral and murder the other team the fastest with quad torp launchers... as bad as FDR is she ain't got spit on that abomination. 1 was an AFK Lexington and 1 was an honest to god white lining range mod HE only Yamato who won the game because both surviving red DD's went off hunting his Yacht Simulator aft rather than capping... team and all chat was saltier than the Dead Sea that match.

• Haha 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
42 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

But yeah aside from AFK SW's props to anyone who has gotten one legit.

Yeah, I don't consider my Kongo Solo Warrior legit.

Here is the post I made when I got my Kongo Solo Warrior:
AFK Solo Warrior. Yay me.

And the post I made when I got my Nelson Solo Warrior:
Got my first legitimate Solo Warrior

Notice the titles.....

Members
743 posts
20 battles
57 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Most awards I've ever gotten in a match too, Solo Warrior, Kraken, High Cal, Confed, Double Strike, Witherer, 3x Dev Strikes. 

Wow, that's a game right there!  Incredible work!  :Smile_great:

5 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Two or three of my Solo Warriors have been in a CV, and you're right in that sometimes for a CV they just get lucky and get it with no real effort on their own.  Sometimes they have to run and hide while desperately trying to sink the reds and reset caps before the timer expires as well, so it's not like they never earn it.  I've seen as many AFK BB's (always seems to be a BB for some reason) as I have CV's get it tbh.

Having said that, the vast majority of my Solo Warriors have been in DD's - being able to hide, cap, and kill from stealth makes them the perfect ship type for it, on those rare occasions when the opportunity presents itself.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
8,023 posts
10,383 battles

Congrats on the SW.

Too bad WG didn't want to listen to the community about keeping the signal rewards.

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
On 5/20/2021 at 12:30 PM, Helstrem said:

On 5/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, ArIskandir said:

(Dang it...backspaced on phone & it sent the 1st paragraph of my comment into the quote...not typing it all out again...sorry for confusion)

The problem w/AFK CVs is the enemy team knows the CV is AFK due to no planes ever showing up in the match...any other ship (even an easy to spot BB) could potentially be active & just using island cover to fire from & the red team isn't quite sure so plays a bit more cautiously throughout the whole match (unless they managed to get a ship through to spot it AFK in spawn).

Even in your "AFK" Kongo match...you managed to move some & hit something & have a "last known" location on the map so the reds were probably cautious to an extent as to where you might be & if a volley of whoop a$$ might be forthcoming if they weren't careful.

With an AFK CV...they know w/in the 1st couple minutes & the other team has all the spotting advantage plus all the other advantages a CV has throughout the match that your team has to overcome to get the points up to give that AFK CV the Solo Warrior... that's kind where the difference is between any other AFK & an AFK CV.

In a CV match it's kind of a moot point as the CV will probably spot the AFK (no matter what type of ship it is) early on...but sometimes even the CV can get tied down trying to focus a flank & not spot that AFK until late in the game or get sunk early & not spot it at all...still leaving the "where is it" question in the air.

Both of my Solo Warriors were base caps...

1st in Shininome while divved with a couple buddies... didn't even notice I got it until after the battle was over...heck...I didn't even notice both of my div mates were dead (1 of them was in the same room with me & I knew he was dead...but thought the other...one of his buddies he worked with...was still alive...lol)...let alone the whole rest of the team.

The 2nd was in (I think) the T9 Z (may have been the T8 Z23)...think it's the Z46 but don't remember exactly (for the longest time I thought it was the Z52 & a few months ago looked it up & found out it was actually the T8 or T9...but not at computer so can't look it up to be sure which 1)...

But it was against 6 surviving reds.

They were pushing our cap HARD & my team was putting up a good defense & I was helping torp out other ships heading that way & eventually noticed that their base was empty...so I headed that way & chucked some luck chuck torps towards an Iowa that was heading kinda towards their base (he was still kinda center of the map at the time... but was kinda hanging back as opposed to joining the HARD push).

Got a hit on the Iowa & it luckily turned out to join it's mates at our base trying to take it over.

Was still a little over a minute away from capping their base out (& they had a huge points lead...not just from the 6 ship lead but because they were in our cap stopping our points from climbing for awhile) when our last ship went down & 1 of the reds said, "good game...we lose" in chat...

About 30-40 seconds away from capping long range BB fire started showing up in different places but I had reversed a bit away from the only big island in the cap where quite a few shells landed around where I had been earlier.

At least a couple of them had stayed in the base because the points were getting close by the end but knew I had it as soon as our last ship died...as long as I didn't get reset...but my fingers were while on the mouse button just waiting for something to possibly show up...but fortunately it never did...in fact I never spotted any of them again from.the time I entered their base.

Didn't even get a karma bump for it though. Figured our team all jumped into other games after dying & didn't realize until it was too late to comp me that we had won).

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Even in your "AFK" Kongo match...you managed to move some & hit something & have a "last known" location on the map so the reds were probably cautious to an extent as to where you might be & if a volley of whoop a$$ might be forthcoming if they weren't careful.

With an AFK CV...they know w/in the 1st couple minutes & the other team has all the spotting advantage plus all the other advantages a CV has throughout the match that your team has to overcome to get the points up to give that AFK CV the Solo Warrior... that's kind where the difference is between any other AFK & an AFK CV.

In a CV match it's kind of a moot point as the CV will probably spot the AFK (no matter what type of ship it is) early on...but sometimes even the CV can get tied down trying to focus a flank & not spot that AFK until late in the game or get sunk early & not spot it at all...still leaving the "where is it" question in the air.

Both of my Solo Warriors were base caps...

1st in Shininome while divved with a couple buddies... didn't even notice I got it until after the battle was over...heck...I didn't even notice both of my div mates were dead (1 of them was in the same room with me & I knew he was dead...but thought the other...one of his buddies he worked with...was still alive...lol)...let alone the whole rest of the team.

The 2nd was in (I think) the T9 Z (may have been the T8 Z23)...think it's the Z46 but don't remember exactly (for the longest time I thought it was the Z52 & a few months ago looked it up & found out it was actually the T8 or T9...but not at computer so can't look it up to be sure which 1)...

But it was against 6 surviving reds.

They were pushing our cap HARD & my team was putting up a good defense & I was helping torp out other ships heading that way & eventually noticed that their base was empty...so I headed that way & chucked some luck chuck torps towards an Iowa that was heading kinda towards their base (he was still kinda center of the map at the time... but was kinda hanging back as opposed to joining the HARD push).

Got a hit on the Iowa & it luckily turned out to join it's mates at our base trying to take it over.

Was still a little over a minute away from capping their base out (& they had a huge points lead...not just from the 6 ship lead but because they were in our cap stopping our points from climbing for awhile) when our last ship went down & 1 of the reds said, "good game...we lose" in chat...

About 30-40 seconds away from capping long range BB fire started showing up in different places but I had reversed a bit away from the only big island in the cap where quite a few shells landed around where I had been earlier.

At least a couple of them had stayed in the base because the points were getting close by the end but knew I had it as soon as our last ship died...as long as I didn't get reset...but my fingers were while on the mouse button just waiting for something to possibly show up...but fortunately it never did...in fact I never spotted any of them again from.the time I entered their base.

Didn't even get a karma bump for it though. Figured our team all jumped into other games after dying & didn't realize until it was too late to comp me that we had won).

The Kongo one wasn't a pure AFK as I did get it moving and may have fired a volley or two.  I agree that an AFK BB, CA/CL or DD, particularly DD, isn't apparent at first, though it does become obvious by no later than mid game if it is a truly AFK BB sitting in spawn.

As to not getting any karma for that win, you're likely right as to the cause.  I remember the most lopsided, in the wrong way, win I've ever been part of.  Before my ship was sunk it was 3 vs 11.  My being sunk made it 2 vs 11, one BB and one DD.  I wish I had stayed, but come on, 2 vs 11?  Yeah, loss, bail to do another match and then come back to that ship to get the daily win.  That BB and that DD won the match.  I wasn't there to see it, but best guess is the BB held the line long enough for the DD to cap.  It was still 2 vs 11 on the final score, but they had pulled it off.  By the time I was out of my next match and saw the results the game no longer allowed me to compliment the BB and DD players.

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
28 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

The Kongo one wasn't a pure AFK as I did get it moving and may have fired a volley or two.  I agree that an AFK BB, CA/CL or DD, particularly DD, isn't apparent at first, though it does become obvious by no later than mid game if it is a truly AFK BB sitting in spawn.

As to not getting any karma for that win, you're likely right as to the cause.  I remember the most lopsided, in the wrong way, win I've ever been part of.  Before my ship was sunk it was 3 vs 11.  My being sunk made it 2 vs 11, one BB and one DD.  I wish I had stayed, but come on, 2 vs 11?  Yeah, loss, bail to do another match and then come back to that ship to get the daily win.  That BB and that DD won the match.  I wasn't there to see it, but best guess is the BB held the line long enough for the DD to cap.  It was still 2 vs 11 on the final score, but they had pulled it off.  By the time I was out of my next match and saw the results the game no longer allowed me to compliment the BB and DD players.

I can only assume that BB was in the base w/the DD & the DD was luck chucking torps left & right whenever they reloaded at whatever was closest while not shooting while the BB was getting reset left & right but still moving & maneuvering to try to add what points he could while also targeting whatever was closest every time he reloaded (prioritizing anything radar if there was any)...that would have been an epic replay for sure.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
29 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I can only assume that BB was in the base w/the DD & the DD was luck chucking torps left & right whenever they reloaded at whatever was closest while not shooting while the BB was getting reset left & right but still moving & maneuvering to try to add what points he could while also targeting whatever was closest...that would have been an epic replay for sure.

The reason I figure the BB held the line outside of the cap is that having two ships in the cap with one being reset constantly and the other hidden takes longer to cap than a single, hidden ship.

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
13 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

The reason I figure the BB held the line outside of the cap is that having two ships in the cap with one being reset constantly and the other hidden takes longer to cap than a single, hidden ship.

Not actually...it may seem like it at times but cap points are based solely on amount of time in the cap...if you aren't reset you don't lose any of the time you have towards the cap just because others in the cap with you get reset...

But it can seem like it as the timer jumps up & down as others get reset.

Example: Domination caps are worth 60 capture points each & take 60 seconds to cap...every second that doesn't get reset counts.

Standard base caps are worth 180 points & take 3 minutes (180 seconds) to cap.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,762 posts
6,907 battles
Just now, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Not actually...it may seem like it at times but cap points are based solely on amount of time in the cap...if you aren't reset you don't lose any of the time you have towards the cap just because others in the cap with you get reset...

But it can seem like it as the timer jumps up & down as others get reset.

That isn't how it was mathed out in an earlier thread.  In that one the claim was that it takes more points, something like 1.5 the single ship points, to cap with two ships, but you earn points at twice the rate, if nobody is being reset.  If one ship is constantly reset then the lone ship that isn't being reset needs to earn all 1.5 times single ship cap points.

It could have been in error, but that is how it was explained.