You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Count_pott

Cruisers and overmatch (T8)

33 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
1,555 battles

I'm currently grinding Baltimore, Edinburgh, Charles Martel, and Cleveland. And while occasionally they are fun to play, the vast majority of the time they are in T10 games. And that just does not work.

I stay hidden next to islands. I don't rush. I support caps and friendlies with radar, but don't shoot or expose myself if unsafe. That's cool; all cruisers need to play like this. I always watch my positioning.

But as the game opens-up, one needs to come-out and start shooting. I did that a lot with Algerie, so... whatever. But then. BAM. A 406 shell from a salvo I dodged but which was out of the dispersion area hits me and... dead.

Or I get spotted by an airplane and shot at by a BB and... dead.

I don't mind thin armor etc... no, the issue here is that it's OUT OF THE PLAYER'S CONTROL. A cruiser NEEDS to get out of the open and contribute. But they cannot tank. It's up to the enemy player and RNG that dictate whether I live or not, NOT my playing anymore.

If I mess-up and over-expose myself, that's fine, that's on me. But if I play right, conserve XP, and die to a stray 16" shell while juking... that's just frustrating.

Were I in T8 games more often, it'd be better (though there's still plenty of 406s in T8). But that's just no the case. T8 is basically T10 these days. It's cursed. Frustrating. Soul-sucking. I feel I had an easier time at T7.... that's saying something.

Tonight was the first night in a LONG time I was able to play more than a couple of games... I focused on Cruisers. I managed to play 15 games. 26% win-rate. Previous 11 games: 63%. Small samples, and today's losses were mostly blow-outs. But. If I switch to DDs, my win-rate automatically goes up, my heart-rate goes down, and my happiness level goes back to regular.

How do y'all deal with grinding T8 Cruisers? FXP? Yoga? Prozac? Lobotomy? How does a Cruiser captain regain control, when being out in the open is a must?

Sorry for the rant.

(side note: Cleveland is a ton of fun, and Baltimore feels like an EXCELLENT boat when played at their regular tier. I don't feel any of this is their fault. Charles Martel can also be a serious pain in the enemy's backside when going out with the speed boost)

• Cool 6

[CYNIC]
Members
3,090 posts
8,742 battles

Arguably one of the most broken aspects of the game.  Unlike fighting a CV, there's no counter play to a ship that out ranges you and can take half of your health at any angle.

• Cool 1

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,392 posts
5,593 battles
2 minutes ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Arguably one of the most broken aspects of the game.  Unlike fighting a CV, there's no counter play to a ship that out ranges you and can take half of your health at any angle.

Just dodge. lmbo

• Funny 1

Members
1,781 posts
46 minutes ago, Count_pott said:

But as the game opens-up, one needs to come-out and start shooting. I did that a lot with Algerie, so... whatever. But then. BAM. A 406 shell from a salvo I dodged but which was out of the dispersion area hits me and... dead.

That is unfortunately the cruiser life, stray shells straight into the citadel. T8 cruisers in T10 have a tough time surviving as they don't have heals yet, nor do they have sufficient armor to bounce anything significant. However, the latter won't change that much to be honest, as T10 is crawling with guns that can overmatch 30mm anyway.

I found that staying not spotted is often essential, so try not to come out behind the island to fire but to stay behind it. To this effect I often don't get too close to the island or hug it, but stay a bit back, nose in or our; never broadside. That way you can accelerate into cover or retreat faster. If you are too close to fire over the island you are doing it wrong, most likely that is why you need to come around the island and likely showing broadside (I see this in randoms all the time). BBs are waiting for that to happen.

Vision control is key, if you attract attention go dark and reposition. Few cruisers can sustain firing in open water, except at very long ranges. For Baltimore and Cleveland this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYoAP9nhFjg&list=PLoRQa0D7yVpc4bTSbXYZ8uHw-CSKvhvbp&index=16

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,369 posts
28,290 battles

Cruisers are in a sad state right now. Matches are dominated by BBs and DDs that keep you spotted and focused most of the game. Low ranges force you to move forward to contribute but you may end up with all 4, or even 5, battleships targeting you while a DD you cannot spot, lights you consistently. 

Honestly, I just dont do anything. Really though, when battle starts dont move or qaurter speed it forward unless your spawn has you lined up with a great spot to push up behind cover. 

Yeah, you probably wont be able to support your friendly DD but he is most likely not gonna smoke you up and if hes spotted he will run or die, leaving you on your own. 

Let the rest of the team turn into targets and then engage when you might not be the focus. It sounds horribly selfish, and maybe it is, but your options are limited. There are simply too many big guns in most matches to let yourself be spotted early.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[SR-_-]
Members
5,021 posts
46,903 battles

Well, historically. No cruiser ever won a straight up gunfight(no torps) with a battleship. Just like any other ship type, you have to know your limitations. Fire on a BB when it is not looking your way(turrets pointing the opposite direction). Also try to engage with support. In a BB ,cruiser ,DD matchup; players try to go it alone to engage. Or they try to push, but the team doesn't push with them. This is the pitfall of any ship type. And map awareness helps. 

However, having said that, I am sure you had games where nobody seemed to want to commit to an engagement closer and you were frustrated that no action has occurred, you notice the clock and points ticking against your favor.

Unfortunately, you get teams like that. In open water engagements, the rule is to stay behind your BB, but support them while the DDs at the front lay down smoke or flank out to spot while laying down torpedoes. DDs need to engage targets of opportunity, but often get in trouble. The priority is to take away red's DDs first then work your way up to BB. Under cover, you have to use the islands to your advantage. shooting over, but  not get shot back. Know when to engage and know when to break off. In a battle against a BB only, a cruiser is basically toast if caught out in the open. But there are exceptions. It is best to use your speed to keep the battleship having to turn. Attrition it with fire, because WG historically believes cruisers can actually burn a BB down. As comical as that sounds, WG had no choice but to give a cruiser that fire advantage or it would be World of Battleships. 

Now if you are SAP dealer, cruiser Sap in Italian line while effective means you have to lay it down a lot or the BB will repair it before it gets you. That is the problem with SAP. In cases like that, if you insist on using SAP, then you have to enhance its alpha as much as possible with rate of fire enhancements and skills that buff SAP. 

But in terms of logical gaming progression, it is better to get help when taking down a BB.

I am often attacked in a BB by a considerable DD squadron or a tandem of BBs. Cruisers factor in from range, but open water means they have to stay far away. Under cover, they could ambush. But again, they need help. 

Of course CVs are always a challenge, but that is what rudder shift mod is for. Driving really well in a cruiser is key to evading good drops. Mind you, you won't evade all, but it helps to wiggle your way out of it. But bear in mind that a CV might be attacking you based on certain criteria. But the most glaring criteria is sailing alone. Team grouping seems to mitigate some damage against a CV. But remember, a clever CV will just spot you as well. So be wary of red and their guns looking at you under a spot. Most cruisers are sunk by spot rather than by bomb. 

As you see above, many players have advised you of things to do. I suggest heeding the useful stuff and also watching some videos if it will help your game. The wiki, although sometimes meh, is also helpful. 

You have plenty of resources at your disposal. So, explore those and hopefully it will improve your cruiser game.:cap_tea:

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,380 posts
12,101 battles
5 hours ago, Count_pott said:

A 406 shell from a salvo I dodged but which was out of the dispersion area hits me and... dead.

Well... obviously it wasn’t.

5 hours ago, Count_pott said:

But they cannot tank

Outside of high tier Soviet CAs and German/US CAs against certain calibers, you should not be trying to tank shots with your armor in cruisers. Cruisers tank with WASD. Range is armor.

In all honesty though, the same basics to cruiser survival apply facing tier X opponents as tier VIII opponents, since outside of the 30mm upper belts on tier X heavy cruisers cruisers are generally overmatched by 15 or 16” guns, which are common at both tiers. The only real difference is that BBs are slighy more accurate, but with the greater engagement distances and the aiming skills of the general population I don’t feel it really makes much difference. For open water cruisers (French, German, Soviet CLs) you generally want to play farther back until the battle is more developed. Use your range/ballistics and kite as much as you need to. In these cases, distance is your armor, as it gives you more time to dodge salvos. For cruisers that have shorter ranges and and excel at utilizing island cover (American cruisers, etc) you have to be even more careful of your positioning and have good map awareness so you don’t get surprised - you do not want to be sitting still when a BB gets a shot at you. Open water kiting with these ships is still possible, as long as you play near max range and you have enough situational awareness to know when to go dark. I would also suggest grabbing the mod that indicates how long you will be detected after firing your guns (it keeps track of the 20s for you and is very useful when the PT indicator jumps up to 3 or 4). I’ve had success with this strategy against weakened BBs in Cleveland and Seattle (haven’t played Worcester much), burning them to the waterline while they try to chase me down and juking their shots. One technique that will serve you well in any cruiser is to practice angling just enough to bait battleships into shooting your sides while kiting, and quickly angling back after the salvo is fired. In this way you can take shots on your main armor belt, which if sufficiently angled will bounce battleship AP shells. You will likely still take a little damage from shots that fall a little higher, but it will be much less than if you took a full salvo into your stern.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
380 posts
5,800 battles

It's just a sad state of affairs for T8 cruisers...I was a cruiser main for awhile, so fortunately I did a lot of those grinds awhile ago...Right now you get t10 the vast majority of the time in prime time(only time I can play)...and there has been a lot of power creep at t10 that widens an already huge gulf into an ocean for a t8 cruiser...Your basically fighting with both arms and legs tied behind your back...People will try to make helpful suggestions, but you can know how to play and still just be a fly getting swatted...If your in a t10 cruiser life is good...I give no creedence to those that say otherwise...your going to have no problem dealing with cruiser problems in a t10 if you know what your doing...in a t8? good luck....its not fun...because MM and power creep will make it so

Edited by Almedius
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[PVE]
Members
9,038 posts
25,427 battles
6 hours ago, Count_pott said:

I'm currently grinding Baltimore, Edinburgh, Charles Martel, and Cleveland. And while occasionally they are fun to play, the vast majority of the time they are in T10 games. And that just does not work.

I stay hidden next to islands. I don't rush. I support caps and friendlies with radar, but don't shoot or expose myself if unsafe. That's cool; all cruisers need to play like this. I always watch my positioning.

I don't mind thin armor etc... no, the issue here is that it's OUT OF THE PLAYER'S CONTROL. A cruiser NEEDS to get out of the open and contribute. But they cannot tank. It's up to the enemy player and RNG that dictate whether I live or not, NOT my playing anymore.

If I mess-up and over-expose myself, that's fine, that's on me. But if I play right, conserve XP, and die to a stray 16" shell while juking... that's just frustrating.

Were I in T8 games more often, it'd be better (though there's still plenty of 406s in T8). But that's just no the case. T8 is basically T10 these days. It's cursed. Frustrating. Soul-sucking. I feel I had an easier time at T7.... that's saying something.

Tonight was the first night in a LONG time I was able to play more than a couple of games... I focused on Cruisers. I managed to play 15 games. 26% win-rate. Previous 11 games: 63%. Small samples, and today's losses were mostly blow-outs. But. If I switch to DDs, my win-rate automatically goes up, my heart-rate goes down, and my happiness level goes back to regular.

How do y'all deal with grinding T8 Cruisers? FXP? Yoga? Prozac? Lobotomy? How does a Cruiser captain regain control, when being out in the open is a must?

Sorry for the rant.

(side note: Cleveland is a ton of fun, and Baltimore feels like an EXCELLENT boat when played at their regular tier. I don't feel any of this is their fault. Charles Martel can also be a serious pain in the enemy's backside when going out with the speed boost)

Well...1 thing that might help...

As your OP was posted just hours before the update that just dropped...Deadeye is not a thing anymore...

Hope it works out for you...

GL

[SALVO]
Members
9,501 posts
6,975 battles
6 hours ago, Count_pott said:

Sorry for the rant.

Hi, welcome to T8. Don't panic!

A couple tips:

* Always equip Incoming Fire Alert and Priority Target for cruisers (at least while you need "trainning wheels") and don't forget to bring a towel.

* Always try to engage from safety (indirect fire) if that isn't possible, be very concious of your concealment. Always engage in a way that let you go dark just by stop firing.

* When engaged keep an eye on your PT counter, if it goes over 1 start thinking about disengaging. If goes over 2 better stop firing and go dark for a while.

* When incoming fire alert flashes, juke. Don't wait just do it.

* You need at least 12 km to be able to juke anything, engaging below that range is suicidal (if you intend to open water).

* Don't try to kite more than 2 ships unless there's no option.

* Use concealment as you would in a DD, you need to retain your ability to go dark at will. Anything that threatens your concealment is public enemy #1. It isn't the BB shell that kills you, is the DD that keeps you permaspotted.

* Dont't forget your towel.

That's it for a start, hope it helps

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,523 posts
13,330 battles

The armor issue wouldn't be so bad but then they proliferated the huge caliber BB shells (17" and 18") AND gave some them tight dispersion, AND gave a lot of cruisers poor concealment, and citadels that are large and high above the waterline. I don't expect cruisers to have armor to resist BB fire. That makes sense, but piling all the other disadvantages onto them as well makes no sense. 

For example, poor old Omaha on T5. Someone explain to me how Agincourt, a 30,000ton WWI BB complete with high spotting towers has a surface detection that is LOWER than Omaha, an 8,000ton light cruiser. At the same time Omaha's citadel is nearly as big as Agincourt's and is high out of the water. I realize this is an extreme example but it is pretty indicative of the inconsistency of cruiser design when it comes to facing BBs. That's part of the reason I cheered the return of the CV as they bring some of the suffering to BBs that they inflict on me in my cruisers. 

[SGSS]
Members
6,308 posts
8 hours ago, Count_pott said:

Sorry for the rant.

The other thing that kills me is a T10 ship taking out a T8 ship then you see in chat how cool they think they are.

A Halland was saying he was the greatest player in the world because he was sinking T8 ships and shooting down T8 planes.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,190 posts

Cruisers at tier 8 are nothing more than cannon fodder.  Fighting against the power creeped tier tens in an old tech tree ship is ridiculous.  No wonder your frustrated.   If you want to level them, I think the next Ranked will be tier 6-8.  I would forget playing them in Random unless you like hiding behind and island the entire game.  

IF WARGAMING WAS REALLY INTERESTED IN BALANCE THEY WOULD BUFF SOME OF THESE SHIPS AND STOP NERFING SHIPS PEOPLE PAID MONEY FOR.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,706 battles
9 hours ago, Count_pott said:

Sorry for the rant.

IMO, you want to play Martel using open-water evasion. The key to that is, knowing the instant you are being fired at, then dodging. (IFA skill really helps this) Along with this, the amount you dodge makes a big difference. If you turn too much, you'll bleed speed, and not get that far from the aimpoint at your new heading. Too little, and your heading won't be changed enough. 

[SALVO]
Members
9,501 posts
6,975 battles
9 hours ago, CV_Jeebies said:

Why the need to go swamp diving and bring CVs into the conversation?

There's a very effective counter, it is called concealment management and stacking DoT.

• Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
9,501 posts
6,975 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Don’t grind so many T8 cruisers at one time. Break ‘em up, space ‘em out. Mix in some more durable grinds.

I think I'm into BDSM, I'm grinding all of them... at the same time.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
11 hours ago, Count_pott said:

the vast majority of the time they are in T10 games. And that just does not work.

Why start with such a blatant lie?  ~40% is not the "vast majority of the time".

• Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
9,501 posts
6,975 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

Why start with such a blatant lie?  ~40% is not the "vast majority of the time".

Well, it feels like "vast majority of the time" :Smile_trollface:

Now, being serious... that 40% is not per ship but per tier (afaik). In my experience, I have a much higher chance of dropping in a Top tier game while playing T8 BB or DD than when playing Cruisers. The vast majority of my BB matches have been Top tier or -1 at most, the vast majority of my cruiser matches have been at -2 (vs T10). Overall the numbers are balanced but there's a lot of fluctuation inbetween ships of the same tier. As an example ALL of my  Charles Martel matches (so far 7) have been T10 matches.  In exchange most of my Amagi matches (so far 4 out of 6) have been as top tier. The 40% rule holds true in the grand scheme, but it is totally busted for particular cases even more if you play like I do, only one tier simultaneously, all ship types.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,763 posts
6,907 battles
Just now, ArIskandir said:

Well, it feels like "vast majority of the time" :Smile_trollface:

Now, being serious... that 40% is not per ship but per tier (afaik). In my experience, I have a much higher chance of dropping in a Top tier game while playing T8 BB or DD than when playing Cruisers. The vast majority of my BB matches have been Top tier or -1 at most, the vast majority of my cruiser matches have been at -2 (vs T10). Overall the numbers are balanced but there's a lot of fluctuation inbetween ships of the same tier. As an example ALL of my  Charles Martel matches (so far 7) have been T10 matches.  In exchange most of my Amagi matches (so far 4 out of 6) have been as top tier. The 40% rule holds true in the grand scheme, but it is totally busted for particular cases even more if you play like I do, only one tier simultaneously, all ship types.

It is based on the last 20 matches at that tier.  If you just play the one ship then you'll get ~40% Tier X regardless of BB, CA/CL, DD or CV.  If you play a mix, well, 20 is not a large sample size and you can easily end up with Tier X matches concentrated on one type.  It isn't that that type is pushed into Tier X more often, just luck of the draw when you play it.  If you track your matches you can game it a little bit by seeing what tier the last 20 matches were and if you only see 7 or fewer Tier X matches in the last 20 your next match will probably be Tier X.  Probably though, I got a Tier VIII and VII match using Hyuga when I was eligible for Tier IX based on the prior 20 matches.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,963 posts
23,351 battles

TBH, the thing that you're missing isn't armor, it's the heal that T9 and T10 cruisers get. I've wished for ages that WG would give them to the other tiers of cruisers, but 2021 and no sign of movement there.

[SALVO]
Members
9,501 posts
6,975 battles
7 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

It is based on the last 20 matches at that tier.  If you just play the one ship then you'll get ~40% Tier X regardless of BB, CA/CL, DD or CV.  If you play a mix, well, 20 is not a large sample size and you can easily end up with Tier X matches concentrated on one type.  It isn't that that type is pushed into Tier X more often, just luck of the draw when you play it.  If you track your matches you can game it a little bit by seeing what tier the last 20 matches were and if you only see 7 or fewer Tier X matches in the last 20 your next match will probably be Tier X.  Probably though, I got a Tier VIII and VII match using Hyuga when I was eligible for Tier IX based on the prior 20 matches.

I know, it is just the luck of the draw that comes that way. But so far, looks like there's a trend on being "easier" to drop at T10 as a cruiser, MM works with whatever is at hand and it isn't impossible that due to ship availability is easier to make that match up without forcing an adjustment.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
32,203 posts
26,997 battles
8 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Well, historically. No cruiser ever won a straight up gunfight(no torps) with a battleship. Just like any other ship type, you have to know your limitations. Fire on a BB when it is not looking your way(turrets pointing the opposite direction). Also try to engage with support. In a BB ,cruiser ,DD matchup; players try to go it alone to engage. Or they try to push, but the team doesn't push with them. This is the pitfall of any ship type. And map awareness helps.

It also has to be said that historically, Battleships were very rare ships and do not make up the bulk of any navy despite what WoWS presents.  Matter of fact, there were more Carriers than there were Battleships and Battlecruisers sailing in WWII.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
380 posts
5,800 battles
8 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I know, it is just the luck of the draw that comes that way. But so far, looks like there's a trend on being "easier" to drop at T10 as a cruiser, MM works with whatever is at hand and it isn't impossible that due to ship availability is easier to make that match up without forcing an adjustment.

That is exactly my experience...far more t10 in a cruiser than in a BB or DD...I'm not interested in playing 20 straight in a cruiser...I'm not interested in getting shafted in a cruiser while my BBs and DDs get the benefit either..

Edited by Almedius

[GOCRY]
Members
1,031 posts

Well, I’m an outlier I guess.  I have long enjoyed Baltimore, Cleveland, Chapayev, and most recently Wichita.  One benefit of being bottom tier is that you earn extra credits and XP, which is helpful when you’re grinding.

Others have mentioned the main strategies already.  The biggest thing is you need to be careful with your engagements.  Use your concealment, islands, smoke, etc to limit the number of ships that can see you.  You need to know when to NOT fire your guns.  You need to anticipate when you’re going to get spotted, so you can already be turned out and ready to kite.  Way too many cruiser players get spotted and immediately turn out, exposing their broadside to everyone. If they don’t get deleted outright, their health is so low that they can’t effectively push up and support their teammates anymore.

YouTubers talk about how DDs need to protect their health, but it is every bit as true for a cruiser player.  The OP talked about how RNG plops a 16” shell in his citadel.  Yeah, that’s going to happen.  Your WASD isn’t going to stop you from getting hit, it’s going to minimize how many hits you take.  If you are conserving your health, then you can afford to take that random citadel without it being game ending. (BTW, BB players get to deal with that RNG on every salvo they fire - that’s one of the reasons I’m a cruiser main!)

You’ll notice that all the cruisers I listed have radar.  So I suffer a great deal less from DDs keeping me perma-spotted. They can try, but they risk a lot in doing so.

I cannot preach map awareness enough.  You need to know the angles that BBs have on you, and you need to expect them to fire at you every chance they get.  You use this to your advantage though.  If you are confident in your ability to WASD, then you can hang yourself out a little bit and get BBs to waste their shots trying to hit you.

I could write more, but this post is getting long enough.