You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NASAAN101

maniz Vs Prinz Eugen

16 comments in this topic

[MABG]
Members
9 posts
477 battles

Hello,
I was looking at getting the Maniz. but I don't know a hole lot about her!! I know she's based on Eugen, but with Nurnberg's cannons! is she an ok ship??
thanks,
NASAAN

Beta Testers
1,248 posts
17,356 battles

She's a good ship but very soft with no heal and a large surface detect. You have to play her at range and make use of her fast firing guns, 6 sec reload.

And with so few battles under your belt you may not want to jump into a T8 that will see T10's. It will put you off her.

And it's Mainz not Maniz:Smile-_tongue:

Members
1,377 posts

Imagine you give a Nurnberg 3 more guns and a Hipper's armor scheme then put her to tier 8, that's what Mainz is. 

Prinz Eugen has a unique permanent camo that gives 50% extra commander xp that no other premium ship offers though.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
5,899 posts
16,537 battles

Mainz’s armor scheme is a modified amalgamation of Admiral Hipper’s and Prinz Eugen’s. She has Hipper’s full 40mm icebreaker (Eugen’s doesn’t extend all the way to the end of the bow) and the slightly thicker internal turtleback slopes of Prinz Eugen (40mm vs Hipper’s 30mm). The former isn’t that big of a difference, only really coming into play if a shell hits you right on the nose, but the latter can keep the occasional 430mm+ AP shell out of the citadel. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that unlike the other two ships, Mainz only has 27mm plating over her center deck: the rest of her external plating is the CL-standard 25mm vs. the 27mm hull found on high tier US and German CAs. This combined with her 42,500 HP means she’s tanky for a light cruiser, but she is still a light cruiser and you need to be careful when engaging battleships. She also shares her “sisters’” general handling characteristics, so she is slow for a CL, and her 12km concealment when fully rigged for stealth is the worst at the tier. Mainz also lacks Prinz Eugen’s Repair Party, which is a big part of what makes the latter so hard to kill.

Mainz has the same guns as Nurnberg, just with 12 barrels vs Nurnberg’s 9. If you enjoy Nurnberg’s gunnery you will be comfortable with Mainz, as she is primarily a long-range open water HE spammer, at least until the mid-to-late game when you can engage isolated targets at closer range with her AP and torpedoes (the same 8-per-side, 6km torps found on Hindenburg). Her AP DPM is frightening, but like Nurnberg it has low penetration so is only really reliable against broadside targets at medium range. The 38mm HE pen (without IFHE) makes her a very consistent HE spammer, as she can reliably pen any hull in the game (including the 38mm decks of USN BBs at tier VIII+) while also retaining good fire-starting capabilities (8% base with 12 shells every 6s adds up fairly quickly).

I love my Mainz (as well as my Hipper, Prinz Eugen, and Tallinn), and she is probably one of the safer tier VIII cruisers to pick up at the moment because she doesn’t rely on gimmicks and German cruisers in general have weathered the various recent mechanics and skill overhauls fairly well. That being said, I would suggest holding off on purchasing her until you have more battles under your belt, especially if you intend to take her into Randoms. A good rule of thumb is to avoid investing in a premium ship until you’ve reached that tier of the appropriate class in at least one tech tree. This ensures you don’t get into battles above your skill level, which will not only not be enjoyable, but will also color your experience with the ship.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[GROGS]
Members
475 posts
13,549 battles

You already have the Prinz Eugen. That ship is more survivable than Mainz and Hipper, at the cost of slower guns. As you learn to play high tiers, even minor mistakes (or just plain bad luck) are severely punished by players who have 10,000 battles of experience. Prinz Eugen is relatively forgiving, which means you'll stay in the battle longer, enjoy it more, and learn more.

I really enjoy Mainz, but it just doesn't have much to offer you after the Prinz Eugen.

Since you enjoy the German cruiser style of play, consider Scharnhorst. It's a BB with more cruiser-style guns. You get the same turtleback armor and torpedoes, but with a twist.  It's just a fun ship. And you can use the same German captain as your cruiser (with different BB skills).

Members
1,377 posts

I'd suggest grinding for Hindenburg first, then consider whether you'd want to buy Mainz or not, because the playstyles of these ships are similar: you have great gun range but your armor can be vulnerable, so you try not to draw attention by moving around behind the frontline and shooting at all types of targets from afar with your fast reloading guns, while your 6km torpedoes are only meant to be used as a last resort, especially against BBs.

[MABG]
Members
9 posts
477 battles

Maniz is a neat little ship. But like her half sister crawled her way into my heart.. :-)

Members
633 posts
4,267 battles

I own both. As @imaginary_b said, Eugen is more forgiving thanks to its increased hit point, thicker armor, and (most importantly) her heal. You can get decent damage numbers by spamming HE at first, and then move into AP shells as you get more comfortable. Mainz gives up a lot of defense for the ability to spam reds with massive amounts of HE and start fires. If HE spam is what you like, you can consider getting Mainz, but I would strongly recommend more games in Eugen before you pull that trigger.

Edited by Whiskey_Rebel

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

You can with some situational awareness, thinking and pre-planning ahead with your enemy's evolutions in battle start do some interesting things with the little Mainz. I wuv that little ship. A Nurenburg writ large. Or a slimmed down lithe Prinz. Or a puffed munchen. =) I love them all.

The torpedos is the final argument settler in Mainz. I once deleted two Kremlins with a Mainz going around a island one time. One set of torps on this one that side and come around there is another Krem. Hurry launch other side torps. Fast. Poof deleted. To be fair I had a enormous Ohio Human following me. He was a bit put out with nothing to shoot on that side of map so off to the other end we go.

You can get clubbed in mainz if you dont watch it I do get deleted in it from time to time.

I usually drop everything to delete a mainz and similar dangerous ships in game. Humans in particular. AP all the way. Poof.

With that said, the Prinz can get into a fight, but not always survive. But the Mainz sometimes cannot get into those bigger fights and survive for sure. But she can really clean up.

I consider humans who drive mainz into to a formal online ship fight very dangerous. Chances are 8 times out of 10 they are not newbies in that thing.

Its the little ones you gotta be wary of. The quiet ones.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,855 posts
18,002 battles
6 hours ago, Singularity_invader said:

Prinz Eugen has a unique permanent camo that gives 50% extra commander xp that no other premium ship offers though.

WG SELLS that Eagle camo at extra cost , though; 5000 doubloons, I think. It does not come included with the ship.

[CO-OP]
Members
3,595 posts
36,462 battles

Eugen in Adler camo is arguably the prettiest ship in the game.

uNps4PL.jpg

• Cool 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
1,424 posts
8,278 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

WG SELLS that Eagle camo at extra cost , though; 5000 doubloons, I think. It does not come included with the ship.

The standard perma camo for the Eugen has the +50% commander XP. The Eagle camo (3000 dubs) adds +10% credits per battle.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
385 posts
11,263 battles

All good responses.   I have both the Mainz and the Eugen.   While I enjoy both, the Mainz is close to being my favorite CL with its balance of dpm, armor and maneuverability.  While it is OP in none of those areas I really enjoy playing it.   You don't go poof to an over the horizon bb salvo (generally), you can rain shells from range and has enough agility to wasd your way to the end game.  Good fortunes.

[A-I-M]
Members
4,855 posts
18,002 battles
49 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

The standard perma camo for the Eugen has the +50% commander XP. The Eagle camo (3000 dubs) adds +10% credits per battle.

Thanks for the correction. It has been years since I looked at it.

8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

...I would suggest holding off on purchasing her until you have more battles under your belt, especially if you intend to take her into Randoms. A good rule of thumb is to avoid investing in a premium ship until you’ve reached that tier of the appropriate class in at least one tech tree. This ensures you don’t get into battles above your skill level, which will not only not be enjoyable, but will also color your experience with the ship.

OP, consider what @Nevermore135 has said above. The same thing happened with me and the Prinz Eugen: I got it on Day 1 of getting into WoWs, and the experience left me with a negative impression of the ship...that’s probably why I play it so rarely that I can’t remember it’s permacamo details.

[UNC]
Members
1,216 posts
7,311 battles

Mainz is a very good CL and hands down one of my favorite premiums.  She can be a ton of fun to play, and in the right hands can be a very dangerous enemy for all ship types.  That said, she is also very unforgiving.  If you get lucky you might survive your first mistake, but if you misplay or put yourself in a bad position its going to be a quick trip back to port.  She is well armored for a CL but is still a CL; at tier 8 likely not an ideal ship for an inexperienced player.  Lots of helpful posts above mine, so don't really have much else to add.