Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lynx7386

I want to like WoWS, but I hate it

110 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

304
[AC1]
Members
178 posts
335 battles

Balance in this game is f***ed six ways from sunday.  The only class I really enjoy are cruisers, and from the time I started playing they've just felt like the worst balanced of the four: They're supposed to be midway between destroyers and battleships for speed, firepower, agility, etc. but they just don't feel like they're anywhere near where they should be.  Most cruisers have paper thin armor, so they cannot tank shots or even realistically use angles to mitigate damage in the same way battleships can.  They aren't particularly fast either, with just a few knots difference between destroyers and cruisers, or cruisers and battleships.  Some of the upper tier cruisers that I've been using more recently have 15-20 second rudder shift times as well, which makes them feel every bit as slow as a battleship without any of the benefits even a light battleship has.
Then there's firepower... half as many guns at half the shell size of even light battleships, shorter range on those guns...  it feels like crap, and it's felt like crapfor the entire time I've been playing.

Disregarding all that (or maybe BECAUSE of all that), this game in the last few months seems to have turned into world of battleships.  Every single goddamn match I join is 5-6 BB's with maybe 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, and on occasion a carrier.  Guess what wargames?  When you give one ship class the best guns, the best range, the best armor/toughness, and literally no downsides or shortcomings, you wind up with nothing but that ship in every single match.  Why the hell should it take multiple torpedo volleys from a destroyer, or hundreds of main battery hits from a cruiser, to bring down a battleship that can literally delete everything else in a single salvo?  I get that they were the big bad ships historically, but historically you didn't have 6 of them for every one cruiser or destroyer either.  Balance your matchmaking, this is beyond ridiculous.

Cruisers need improvements, maybe not all of them but damn sure most of them do.  They're like the redheaded stepchildren of this game and I'm tired of it.

 

  • Cool 15
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
954
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,633 posts
18,866 battles

livememe.com - Bold Move Cotton

So, first off welcome to the game and the forums. I see that you only have a few hundred matches under your belt and are somehow already at T7. This means conceivably you are playing against T9 ships.  Playing at the higher tiers is a completely different game then playing at T5 etc. Further, taking your newly purchased Indianapolis up against T9 Battleships, which have the power to delete you in a single salvo, is a difficult undertaking with so few games played. I will respectfully make a few suggestions that will hopefully improve your enjoyment of the game. 

For overall gameplay go to youtube and start watching videos. Everyone likes different content creators but I've found Potato Quality's videos on positioning and game mechanics to be the best, again at least for me. Regardless, look up the class you want to learn about and start watching.  Next, go back to the lower tiers, especially Tiers 4-6, and start playing there. Learn to use island cover or in the case of British Cruisers, how to utilize smoke. Stop buying yourself into the higher tiers before you have more experience. Watch the mini map in the lower right corner of your screen; it is the key to victory. Knowing when to push, when to defend, when to kite, where the more dangerous enemy ships are, etc, will help you to not only play better but also aid your team in winning. 

World of Warships has a steep learning curve. Don't rush, learn the basics at the lower tiers first before venturing into the higher tiers. Also, play co-op with new ships to see how they work before jumping right into random matches. 

Good luck and fair seas. 

Edited by Jolly_Rodgered
  • Cool 13
  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
501
[VORTX]
Members
641 posts
8,133 battles

Cruisers, especially long range (17k or so) kiting cruisers have been hit very hard with the dead eye meta. It’s become very hard to play an open water boat. Sure, you can dodge a bit, but once that Musashi lands it’s very tight shell grouping from 20k, it’s game over. Cruisers are always fragile, but you can usually get away with dodging and juking shells than we have in the last few months. Island hugging cruisers have it a little bit easier as you’re able to utilize cover a bit better and lob shells over islands. You play closer in and support your DDs. They can still be very effective. I have a lot of fun playing the British CL line, despite getting deleted once in a while by a dead eye BB. French cruises in the other hand which use their high speed (LOL) and maneuverability in open waters have been hell to play. 
 

Wait for dead eye to be gone, try again. You might have more success. I’ve had a lot of fun in this game with the German cruisers and the Soviet light cruisers, but have been very put off of playing them in the current meta. 
 

You also may need to adapt to the ever evolving meta. I found BB play even more boring after dead eye took over; but I found out how much I really enjoy playing DD’s. Now I split pretty even between CL and DD play. I’ve barely touched BB’s outside of coop. 
 

GL. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,624
[SALVO]
Members
26,216 posts
29,849 battles
41 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

I get that they were the big bad ships historically, but historically you didn't have 6 of them for every one cruiser or destroyer either. 

Historically, while navies may have had many more cruisers than BBs, those cruisers were never expected to go toe to toe with BBs.  Cruisers had a different mission than BBs.

 

42 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

Cruisers need improvements, maybe not all of them but damn sure most of them do.  They're like the redheaded stepchildren of this game and I'm tired of it.

No, not really.  Cruisers are not expected to go toe to toe with BBs and win with regularity.    Your attitude towards cruisers indicates to me that you just don't understand the role of cruisers, whether in this game or in real life.

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
173
[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
272 posts
4,916 battles

While being the easiest class to play (hence the high population)....BBs are also the least influential in winning matches (aside from mid tier cruisers perhaps) ... Sure they paddle broadsiding fools...and there are many of those....but its the CV and DD drivers that are winning matches consistently...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,547
[KWF]
Members
6,153 posts
7,128 battles
7 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

You haven't even got the Edinburgh yet. Or the exploding Nurnberg...You haven't seen maximum effort until you play those.

That's precisely the issue. OP has Edinburgh and I don't mean it as stat shaming, only that with that few battles and experience he is bound to have issues.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
7,122 posts
22,496 battles
9 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

That's precisely the issue. OP has Edinburgh and I don't mean it as stat shaming, only that with that few battles and experience he is bound to have issues.

he has one battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,819
[46856]
Members
2,005 posts

WG is not interested in balance they already stated that when it came to carriers. You should get to the back of the line that's beating the dead horse of balance and wait your turn.

 

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
871
[TIMT]
Members
1,587 posts
5,326 battles
1 hour ago, Lynx7386 said:

Cruisers need improvements, maybe not all of them but damn sure most of them do.  They're like the redheaded stepchildren of this game and I'm tired of it.

Low tier cruisers are more high-risk/high-reward type of deal, learning how to survive in them throughout a game is challenging.

The situation changes somewhat going to T8 and T9, especially at T10. Some cruisers are effectively more survivable than BBs, while others have crazy firepower compared to anything before. Thus, I would be cautious with blanket statements about cruiser balance, they are too diverse and very skill dependent. A lot of people can do very good in them.

I have not looked at your profile, but as others stated maybe diversifying could help you. Playing BBs, DDs, different nations at least to T7 or T8 helps a lot to see the strengths and weaknesses in different ships and tech tree lines. It took me well over 1000 battles to understand that, and I still am learning to this day. If you think BBs are OP, try playing them and to be good at them. Pay attention to when CAs/CLs give you trouble and what they are doing when they do so, or recognize situations in which you were vulnerable in your BB. That knowledge is invaluable for your own cruiser play. Obviously, this approach can be extended to all other classes.

Having said that, I get your sentiment and I can assure you we all have been there at some point. Balance in this game is tricky and far from a good place, but it is more complex than it appears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[CDOH]
Members
859 posts
8,510 battles

yup your moving up tiers to fast.  it takes a couple thousand games at least to get an idea of what your doing.  High tiers are not any better in terms of enjoyment. In fact many prefer to play low and mid tiers.  I really like T5 and T6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,017 posts
7 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

yup your moving up tiers to fast.  it takes a couple thousand games at least to get an idea of what your doing.  High tiers are not any better in terms of enjoyment. In fact many prefer to play low and mid tiers.  I really like T5 and T6. 

Some players have over ten thousand games on their record with a win rate below 40%. You don't just "play a couple thousand games" to get better, you also need to take some time to do some research and memorize almost every one of your ships' properties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[CDOH]
Members
859 posts
8,510 battles
3 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

Some players have over ten thousand games on their record with a win rate below 40%. You don't just "play a couple thousand games" to get better, you also need to take some time to do some research and memorize almost every one of your ships' properties.

Never said you get good. Just said get an idea.  I don't think you need to memorize every ship either.  Sure it helps but to be avg i don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
433 posts
6,956 battles

I say don't spend a lot of time in this game. Every update adds more grinds and if you have no sunk cost to continue find something else. All they want is your money now. They gave up creating a fun game. They want you frustrated to spend away the pain.

  • Cool 5
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,334
[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,279 posts
4,641 battles
1 hour ago, Sweetsie said:

You haven't even got the Edinburgh yet. Or the exploding Nurnberg...You haven't seen maximum effort until you play those.

I loved my Nurnberg

~Hunter

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,216
[SIM]
Members
5,847 posts
9,315 battles

This game has a steep learning curve, and you’re barely into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
433 posts
6,956 battles
Just now, SkaerKrow said:

This game has a steep learning curve, and you’re barely into it.

It's because they want you angry. They want to sell you flags and premium to make the game go faster with the "Promise" of be the Tier 10 so your not the little guy. Problem is at Tier 10 it's even worse once you get there as everyone Pays to skip the grind and have no idea how to play their ships.

  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,737
[WOLF1]
Members
6,173 posts
28 minutes ago, EasternSun said:

It's because they want you angry. They want to sell you flags and premium to make the game go faster with the "Promise" of be the Tier 10 so your not the little guy. Problem is at Tier 10 it's even worse once you get there as everyone Pays to skip the grind and have no idea how to play their ships.

Speaking of angry, I think this poster is.  You mad, bruh?

 

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,875
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,217 posts
14,913 battles
2 hours ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

livememe.com - Bold Move Cotton

So, first off welcome to the game and the forums. I see that you only have a few hundred matches under your belt and are somehow already at T7. This means conceivably you are playing against T9 ships.  Playing at the higher tiers is a completely different game then playing at T5 etc. Further, taking your newly purchased Indianapolis up against T9 Battleships, which have the power to delete you in a single salvo, is a difficult undertaking with so few games played. I will respectfully make a few suggestions that will hopefully improve your enjoyment of the game. 

For overall gameplay go to youtube and start watching videos. Everyone likes different content creators but I've found Potato Quality's videos on positioning and game mechanics to be the best, again at least for me. Regardless, look up the class you want to learn about and start watching.  Next, go back to the lower tiers, especially Tiers 4-6, and start playing there. Learn to use island cover or in the case of British Cruisers, how to utilize smoke. Stop buying yourself into the higher tiers before you have more experience. Watch the mini map in the lower right corner of your screen; it is the key to victory. Knowing when to push, when to defend, when to kite, where the more dangerous enemy ships are, etc, will help you to not only play better but also aid your team in winning. 

World of Warships has a steep learning curve. Don't rush, learn the basics at the lower tiers first before venturing into the higher tiers. Also, play co-op with new ships to see how they work before jumping right into random matches. 

Good luck and fair seas. 

I would say that tier 5 is where he wants to be for cruisers and BB's, enough AA to punish tier 4 CV's and still enough that if you don't go off on your own to give pause to the tier 6 CV's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,242
[TMS]
Members
3,869 posts
38,059 battles
45 minutes ago, EasternSun said:

It's because they want you angry. They want to sell you flags and premium to make the game go faster with the "Promise" of be the Tier 10 so your not the little guy. Problem is at Tier 10 it's even worse once you get there as everyone Pays to skip the grind and have no idea how to play their ships.

+1

  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,325
[RBMK]
Members
2,247 posts
35,990 battles
2 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

Balance in this game is f***ed six ways from sunday.  The only class I really enjoy are cruisers, and from the time I started playing they've just felt like the worst balanced of the four: They're supposed to be midway between destroyers and battleships for speed, firepower, agility, etc. but they just don't feel like they're anywhere near where they should be.  Most cruisers have paper thin armor, so they cannot tank shots or even realistically use angles to mitigate damage in the same way battleships can.  They aren't particularly fast either, with just a few knots difference between destroyers and cruisers, or cruisers and battleships.  Some of the upper tier cruisers that I've been using more recently have 15-20 second rudder shift times as well, which makes them feel every bit as slow as a battleship without any of the benefits even a light battleship has.
Then there's firepower... half as many guns at half the shell size of even light battleships, shorter range on those guns...  it feels like crap, and it's felt like crapfor the entire time I've been playing.

Disregarding all that (or maybe BECAUSE of all that), this game in the last few months seems to have turned into world of battleships.  Every single goddamn match I join is 5-6 BB's with maybe 2 cruisers, 2 destroyers, and on occasion a carrier.  Guess what wargames?  When you give one ship class the best guns, the best range, the best armor/toughness, and literally no downsides or shortcomings, you wind up with nothing but that ship in every single match.  Why the hell should it take multiple torpedo volleys from a destroyer, or hundreds of main battery hits from a cruiser, to bring down a battleship that can literally delete everything else in a single salvo?  I get that they were the big bad ships historically, but historically you didn't have 6 of them for every one cruiser or destroyer either.  Balance your matchmaking, this is beyond ridiculous.

Cruisers need improvements, maybe not all of them but damn sure most of them do.  They're like the redheaded stepchildren of this game and I'm tired of it.

 

Through T6 I agree cruisers aren't much to write home about. They start to be very influential at T7, depending on the ship. Some T8 cruisers, particularly when not uptiered, can take over battles with their firepower. T9 has a few really good cruisers (mostly the supercruisers). When you get to T10, some of them are downright filthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
573
[_AFW_]
[_AFW_]
Members
433 posts
6,956 battles
21 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Speaking of angry, I think this poster is.  You mad, bruh?

 

So your happy with the CV rework, 1.2 million CEXP for 21 point captains, Puerto Rico Incident, and now Subs?

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×