Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustafa_khizar_mk

How to use Bayern?

7 comments in this topic

Members
132 posts
9,989 battles

Use at Medium range early then close to brawl late.  I have not driven it since skill rework, but it is one of my favorite German BBs.  Good AA, armor, and secondary guns.  Iffy main gun accuracy.

[WOLFC]
Members
5,898 posts
16,516 battles
1 hour ago, Player_7629970598 said:

Iffy main gun accuracy.

Bayern, being a German BB, now has UK/US dispersion on top of 1.8 sigma, both of which are pretty much the game-wide “standard” for BB accuracy. Since this buff more than a year ago “German accuracy” has not been a thing. The only issue with Bayern is that she only has 8 barrels, which can lead to some wonky salvos, but this is the case with all the 8-gun BBs at tier VI (Warspite, QE, Mutsu, WV, PEF), even the ones that are known for their above average accuracy.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLFG]
Members
16,771 posts
19,391 battles
4 hours ago, Player_7629970598 said:

Use at Medium range early then close to brawl late.  I have not driven it since skill rework, but it is one of my favorite German BBs.  Good AA, armor, and secondary guns.  Iffy main gun accuracy.

Even with the improvement in accuracy, I find the German guns don't penetrate as well, so mid range and in is still the best bet.  Charging in to multiple opponents is still a bad idea though.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,585 posts
30,508 battles

Build for Main Battery Accuracy and play for intermediate range combat.  Brawl when you can, but as a Tier VI, I don't suggest it unless the odds are heavily stacked in your favor.

Use Bayern's speed to get you to where you want both offensively and defensively.  Don't hesitate to run if things are going sour.

Something that also must be accounted for is Bayern's AP Penetration is very bad, she uses WWI-era AP shells.  There are 356mm AP shells with far superior Penetration qualities than Bayern's larger 380mm AP.

775IIiY.jpeg

2 things that you need to know when you play her and firing her AP.

1.  It's still more than sufficient in crushing Cruisers, especially since you have Overmatch advantage.

2.  Fully researched, Bayern's max gun range is 17.73km.  When firing and trying to get Citadel hits against another BB at the periphery of her gun range, your shells may not Penetrate the waterline Armor Belt.  Tier VI Russian Battleship Izmail has one of the worst Battleship Citadel protection schemes in mid tier.  300mm armor belt, 50mm citadel torpedo bulkhead behind that.  It's usually very easy to smash her with other BBs if they catch her sides.  But as you can see in the Artillery Chart above, Bayern's AP can't penetrate the 350mm combined armor she has to get through to Citadel Izmail at 12.5 or 13km or higher.  Meanwhile, Fuso & New Mexico's 356mm AP will brutalize Imzail's broadside at way better ranges.

Some tips to user her guns better:

- Crush Cruisers.

- At distances above 12km against Battleships, especially BBs higher tier than you, going after waterline Citadel hits is going to be wasteful since you can't Penetrate their Armor Belt there.  Aim a bit higher and settle for Penetration damage at the base of the superstructure or upper hull sections.  I know we want to get 100% Citadel damage, but Bayern's AP isn't up to that past a certain distance.  You'll get Non-Pens.  Better to get 33% Penetration damage than Non-Pens and do 0 damage.

- However, even though your AP Penetration is poor, you still have 15" guns that have Overmatch advantages.

OP, here's a Wiki link for "Overmatch."

Basically, if your shells are large enough compared to the armor it strikes, there are zero bounce checks.  Depending on target it can help you get better damage results.  Here is also a nice video on the subject:

Overmatch is one of the core mechanics to learn and has tremendous uses both offensively and defensively for pretty much every ship in the game.  Once you understand this, this will clear up some weird things you've likely seen with your games.

• Cool 2

[FNPYR]
Members
6 posts
2,505 battles
On 5/9/2021 at 9:33 AM, mustafa_khizar_mk said:

Just some tips/strategies

A great strat for playing german BB's is to play Japanese/american instead.... Besides the T7 with torps German bb's have nothing going for them but giving the enemy team free HE fire damage.

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,116 battles

I find it one of the best BB's at tier, it is extremely solidly armored, small, maneuverable, fairly fast, and has good guns and secondaries. It's an all-around BB. Use at medium range like you would any other solid BB in the early game and move in towards the end as the field thins out.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this