Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Princess_Daystar

Shikishima Or Auston?

Shikishima or Austin?  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. Shikishima or Austin?

    • Shikishima
      9
    • Austin
      4
    • Bacon
      22

38 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,360
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles

Im finally nearing a goal of being able to purchase my first steel ship and where before i wasnt torn on which ship i am now. The Shikishima was the original ship id been planning on getting, but with the addition of the Austin i dont know which anymore, i want both equally. The biggest deciding factor would be which would leave the game first normally, but im unsure if thats an issue with these ships. Anywhoo thanks for your input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,118
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
9,181 posts
7,403 battles

Personally speaking, if I were you, then I would go for Shikishima. I find BB's to be more fun to play than cruisers in general... but that's just me, lol.

Besides, Shikishima has that Supreme Shikishima Gun SoundTM, which is even better than the coveted Yamato Gun SoundTM... lol. :Smile_trollface:

But I voted for bacon, since bacon is the best! LEL. :Smile_trollface:

My two 510mm shells... lul. :fish_cute_2:

Edited by Blorgh2017
lol spelling and grammar reeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,325
[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,712 battles

Ok, let's start by which game mode ( I take PvE by the section?) you prefer and which class. 

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,120
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,266 posts
15,332 battles

I voted Bacon thanks for the option . Not good enough to play the Austin and  don’t like the shikis play style . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,884
[CO-OP]
Members
5,183 posts
41,758 battles

If you've got Yamato (or Musashi) there is very little need to have a Shikishima.  The damage output for Yamato is virtually identical to Shikishima and the are very few cases that a Shiki will pen/overmatch that a Yamato can't.  The only reason to get a Shiki is the meme-worthy gunfire sound.

Austin offers different playstyle to tier X US cruisers.  Longer reloads (but has a main gun reload boost) AND torpedoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,118
[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
9,181 posts
7,403 battles
9 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

The only reason to get a Shiki is the meme-worthy gunfire sound.

The only reason you ever need~, lol. :Smile_trollface::Smile_teethhappy:

Of course, nothing beats the bacon. Who doesn't love bacon? LEL. :fish_cute_2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,507 battles
10 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Ok, let's start by which game mode ( I take PvE by the section?) you prefer and which class. 

This a very good point. If OP is thinking mostly PVE then I would say Austin. You can just go in and Dakka Dakka away at the bots, Austin is going to be a ton of fun. BBs overall aren't the best for PVE, I guess you could go full secondary Shiki, but there are other ships that do that better. I think Austin is the way for for PVE.

PVP it really depends on what you play. Shiki is good. Austin is, well interesting. Hard to get into position with, dies easily. But if you can regularly get into a good position, oh boy is it fun. MBRB with SAP and you can melt pretty much anything dumb enough to show you broadside. Austin is basically a T10 Atlanta, hard to get right, but if you can get it right there aren't very many ships that are so much fun to play. If you're up for a challenge I'd advise Austin, because it's something very different while Shiki plays very similar to Yamato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,884
[CO-OP]
Members
5,183 posts
41,758 battles
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Of course, nothing beats the bacon. Who doesn't love bacon? LEL. :fish_cute_2:

Miss Piggy, Piglet, and Wilbur, the pig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,360
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
18 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Ok, let's start by which game mode ( I take PvE by the section?) you prefer and which class. 

PVE yes, only mode i really play. I dont have a preference for class, though i have more games in Battleships and Cruisers by a huge margin.

15 minutes ago, HamptonRoads said:

If you've got Yamato (or Musashi) there is very little need to have a Shikishima.  The damage output for Yamato is virtually identical to Shikishima and the are very few cases that a Shiki will pen/overmatch that a Yamato can't.  The only reason to get a Shiki is the meme-worthy gunfire sound.

Austin offers different playstyle to tier X US cruisers.  Longer reloads (but has a main gun reload boost) AND torpedoes.

I have the ARP Yamato, and Musashi, ill be getting the regular Yamato sometime later this year.

7 minutes ago, Singularity_invader said:

You don't need Shikishima if you already have Yamato.

Seems to be the common theme here xD

5 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

This a very good point. If OP is thinking mostly PVE then I would say Austin. You can just go in and Dakka Dakka away at the bots, Austin is going to be a ton of fun. BBs overall aren't the best for PVE, I guess you could go full secondary Shiki, but there are other ships that do that better. I think Austin is the way for for PVE.

PVP it really depends on what you play. Shiki is good. Austin is, well interesting. Hard to get into position with, dies easily. But if you can regularly get into a good position, oh boy is it fun. MBRB with SAP and you can melt pretty much anything dumb enough to show you broadside. Austin is basically a T10 Atlanta, hard to get right, but if you can get it right there aren't very many ships that are so much fun to play. If you're up for a challenge I'd advise Austin, because it's something very different while Shiki plays very similar to Yamato.

I try and play faster battleships for PVE, and those with Torps/strong secondaries

Though my favorite ship is the Atlanta, Dakka Dakka all day long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
321
[TFFOX]
Members
1,198 posts
7,369 battles
17 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Im finally nearing a goal of being able to purchase my first steel ship and where before i wasnt torn on which ship i am now. The Shikishima was the original ship id been planning on getting, but with the addition of the Austin i dont know which anymore, i want both equally. The biggest deciding factor would be which would leave the game first normally, but im unsure if thats an issue with these ships. Anywhoo thanks for your input!

Pick Austin if you want lotsa dakka,  but the Shiki's gun sound is absolutely amazing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
808 posts
10 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

I have the ARP Yamato, and Musashi, ill be getting the regular Yamato sometime later this year.

 

What's the difference between ARP Yamato and Yamato other than the camo?  Isn't the exact same ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,325
[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,712 battles
16 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

PVE yes, only mode i really play. I dont have a preference for class, though i have more games in Battleships and Cruisers by a huge margin.

I have the ARP Yamato, and Musashi, ill be getting the regular Yamato sometime later this year.

Seems to be the common theme here xD

I try and play faster battleships for PVE, and those with Torps/strong secondaries

Though my favorite ship is the Atlanta, Dakka Dakka all day long.

Very well, I would say Austin then; Reload Booster and Torps are excellent tools for PvE in general, plus there's a big advantage Austin has over many cruisers;

shot-21_05.04_20_34.16-0543.thumb.jpg.e3f86622732a1d38fe69f3cc53e34159.jpg

As you can see only the extremities are 16mm; the rest are 32mm. So considering bot BBs aren't the best shots and you can only be overmatched by Yamato/Musashi/Shikishima, it's an extra benefit to give you more survivability at the close ranges many co-op battles happen.

Edited by warheart1992

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,360
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
4 minutes ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

What's the difference between ARP Yamato and Yamato other than the camo?  Isn't the exact same ship?

I think so, it is a special ship(not sure if that gives anything), and it came with the UU not that i use it for COOP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,507 battles
30 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Though my favorite ship is the Atlanta, Dakka Dakka all day long.

Get Austin, like I said above it's basically a T10 Atlanta. I'm fairly sure Austin is WG's answer to the nerfing ATL has gotten over the last year (IFHE and AA). And if you're used to playing Atlanta you're already familiar with how to play Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,120
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,266 posts
15,332 battles
21 minutes ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

What's the difference between ARP Yamato and Yamato other than the camo?  Isn't the exact same ship?

Yes but you get trolled for the ARP Yamato by the play for free people . 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,360
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Yes but you get trolled for the ARP Yamato by the play for free people . 
 

You do? Ive never noticed honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,120
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,266 posts
15,332 battles
Just now, Princess_Daystar said:

You do? Ive never noticed honestly.

I have the ship my kids bought it for me for my birthday but I have never played it . But whenever I get in a game an there’s an ARP Yamato someone comments on it . Especially if he plays bad . I too am grinding the Japanese bb line to get the regular Yamato I’m at tier 7 . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,745
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,831 posts
16,884 battles

Shikishima because gun sound, trust me, hearing it and not having one will make you want it, just so you can hear that gun sound whenever you please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
676
[WOLF9]
Members
2,277 posts
34,864 battles

I voted bacon.  As for ships, I would take (and did) the Ohio.  I wanted to complete my trio of USN Premium secondary ships.

I think Austin is just too gimmicky.

I have the Yamato and don't see the need for the Shikashima.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,360
[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
1 minute ago, kyesac said:

I voted bacon.  As for ships, I would take (and did) the Ohio.  I wanted to complete my trio of USN Premium secondary ships.

I think Austin is just too gimmicky.

I have the Yamato and don't see the need for the Shikashima.

Considering they uses different resources its an entirely different matter so why that comment? >.>

One can after all work on different ships at the same time, regardless The Ohio will be mine in 9 more days, once the RB resets and i can reset the Montana line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
676
[WOLF9]
Members
2,277 posts
34,864 battles
1 minute ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Considering they uses different resources its an entirely different matter so why that comment? >.>

One can after all work on different ships at the same time, regardless The Ohio will be mine in 9 more days, once the RB resets and i can reset the Montana line.

I always get these resources confused.  Old age here.  I bought the Burger then.

Edit:  I hope the Burger was correct.  :)

 

Edited by kyesac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,381
[ARGSY]
Members
30,570 posts
28,115 battles

The Austin is problematic for sure. Until she came out, I was thinking absolutely Plymouth for my second steel ship (Black was the first). Now I am wavering.

I have enough Japanese battleships. Part of me wants to get the Hyuga for completeness, but I already have Ashitaka at that tier and I really can't justify a second T7 IJN premium BB; I'd sooner spend the dubs on a Kobayashi camo for my Kii.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,888
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
37,606 posts
30,513 battles

A Battleship can easily hard carry a Co-Op game.  I bring this up because in Tier X, there will be a lot of low player population games.  Most of my Co-Op games are Tier VIII+, so I see this a lot (my Co-Op Average Tier is 8.7).

 

Austin is very interesting to me, I was about to pull the trigger a lot of times, but I haven't.  I have a tendency to look at these ships in a PVP mindset and I can see Austin's value, especially in Random Battles with a Division.  But Co-Op, especially when you're really playing solo-queue, that's a different story.  I'm not saying Cruisers cannot do well and cannot carry in Co-Op.  What I'm saying is, when you get in those situations where you're the only one left against 3-4 bots, most of which are bot BBs, the vulnerability of a Cruiser and lack of staying power becomes a crucial issue.  And Austin is a very low HP CL and any misplays will be devastating to her.

 

A Battleship in Co-Op I see as an guarantor of a win.  The DD & Cruiser players can play their games and do something stupid and die.  That's fine to the BB... The BB will mop everything up by itself with ease and carry out a win.  A Battleship can tank and engage multiple bots.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×