You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CankedTank

Buff the Minnesota

10 comments in this topic

[SALV0]
[SALV0]
Beta Testers
174 posts
9,976 battles

Title.

For the love of god, this thing has terrible armor for it's size and speed, and I feel like I lose a turret from every other salvo I take from an enemy BB.  I end up using HE 50% of the time because the AP has such atrocious penetration values, and the long reload is downright punitive.  It's not an upgrade over the Kansas.

Rant over.  :cap_book:

• Meh 2

[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
339 posts
15,149 battles

I respectfully disagree.  I've had great games in my Minnesota and not resorting to HE except where necessary.  You have to play at range because of the reload time and target the red BBs first and if a broadside cruiser comes along, punish it.  It's definitely NOT a brawler and I find it 'better' than the Kansas because I find my shots hitting more often than not.  I hold my own against the T10s as well.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[SALV0]
[SALV0]
Beta Testers
174 posts
9,976 battles
1 hour ago, Mustang2209 said:

I respectfully disagree.  I've had great games in my Minnesota and not resorting to HE except where necessary.  You have to play at range because of the reload time and target the red BBs first and if a broadside cruiser comes along, punish it.  It's definitely NOT a brawler and I find it 'better' than the Kansas because I find my shots hitting more often than not.  I hold my own against the T10s as well.

So, it doesn't brawl, do you snipe with it?

And your comment about broadside cruisers seem kinda pointless, isn't that the job of every BB?  It's not like the Minnesota does it that much better.  How do you preserve your HP knowing you have terrible armor and no speed?  I'm salty yes, because I can't see this ship as having any real redeeming values.

• Meh 1

[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
339 posts
15,149 battles

I don't have Deadeye even though it's going away.  I'm not necessarily sniping in the general sense like a Thunderer would from the back of the map.  I view the MN as a 'support' ship at range but not max range and shooting at both BBs and cruisers as they are spotted.  Obviously  I don't know your playstyle but I have a fair amount of success with mine and that was my point.  Assuming I stay alive mid-end game, I push with my team's survivors to finish the game to get caps or kill the remaining reds. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I have mine.  Being salty is pointless on forums like this.  Ironically, I'm a DD main but just enjoyed the MN to keep grinding and eventually getting the VT.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[LOIN]
Supertester
868 posts
On 5/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, CankedTank said:

Title.

For the love of god, this thing has terrible armor for it's size and speed, and I feel like I lose a turret from every other salvo I take from an enemy BB.  I end up using HE 50% of the time because the AP has such atrocious penetration values, and the long reload is downright punitive.  It's not an upgrade over the Kansas.

Rant over.  :cap_book:

I'm kind of with you, my experiences in the Minnesota is definitely not positive

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles

I hate that she's so thick. It's easy to farm her with HE even fully bow on. She eats AP penetrations from battleships and heavy cruisers from just about every angle. But, she does seem to be pretty accurate, and when your poor AP pen does allow it, you can do huge salvos on people. I don't totally hate the ship, but she is definitely very challenging.

[MNPF]
Members
245 posts
9,834 battles

I don't have anything good to say about the Minnesota.  Glacially slow, atrocious reload time, poor gun accuracy,  terrible AP pen (rico's off the broadsides of the new Dutch CAs), is citadelled at shallow angles by the likes of the Flandre.  The Soyuz citadels it from the front and bounces or shatters return shots.

It's bad up close, it's meat at medium range, and it is ineffective at long range.

Other than that, it's great.

[T2IOF]
Members
890 posts
4,920 battles

In Kansas I gave up and spammed HE for decent damage. Is Minnie better?

As it stands I'm not even running improved dispersion. I'm going all in AA build.

[SALV0]
[SALV0]
Beta Testers
174 posts
9,976 battles
On 7/19/2021 at 1:32 AM, frankfletcher_1 said:

In Kansas I gave up and spammed HE for decent damage. Is Minnie better?

As it stands I'm not even running improved dispersion. I'm going all in AA build.

Slghtly.  It has better armor (slightly) and better sigma (slightly.)  So overall it's still a crapboat.  AP has [edited] penetration and the turrets love to get knocked out by enemy BB-calibre AP.

I say again: BUFF THE MINNESOTA!

[R_N]
Beta Testers
894 posts
1,631 battles

Well I am gonna give this line a shot. From what I have heard since the buffs in 11.6 (or 11.7?) people say it is better. And after having purchased and played the North Carolina, I am gonna say the heavy line is probably more like the earlier US BBs in the line that I have become accustomed to. I actually enjoy them and did pretty well with them. It teaches you patience and map placement.