Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Bel_Mar

Felix Schultz - hybrid destroyer/minelayer?

7 comments in this topic

[_WOW_]
Members
44 posts
10,094 battles

Hello All,

As you can see I'm new to this game with under a 1K battles and I'm sure my opinion will hold little weight with most of you.  However, I wanted to share some recent experiences with the F. Schultz that are in contrast to the videos I've watched (numerous times) by Flamu, Notser, and Mountbatten.  Mostly regarding the use of HE vs AP.  In a recent test battle, I chose several T9 & T10 destroyers to shoot at and found that HE is much more effective against them verses AP.  Mainly because you're either shooting that them angled at you or away.  Even at broadside, I took 2-3 more AP hits to kill them than the HE. 

I was getting murdered in Co-Op before switching to HE against DDs.  Granted, I'm still using the other tactics discussed by the aforementioned gods of WoWS.  This would be DON'T FLY IN AND TRY TO CAP, hang back a bit and blast at a distance. Regarding the "sea mines"; I send them on there way down lanes and almost every battle I catch out some enemy ship on paying attention.  Caught a Georgia recently (in a brawl, not advised) and she lost half her HP with just a few hits.  The torps hit like freight trains. They (Flamu, et al) were correct about hitting CLs and some CAs that are broadside to you with AP.  Wow, citadel city. 

So, I'd really like to hear some good advice on playing the F. Schultz other than "don't play it".  I'm grinding the American DD line as well as the Euro line (whoever said their torps are like bunny kisses was correct).  Both lines are vastly different from the Schultz game play.

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed on this post since most of the community seem to hate noobs like me at least that's the feeling I get in the game chat.  That or they just hate my clan. 

Anyways, thank you for your time.

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
2,220 posts
22,194 battles

I mean if you can get in and ambush a BB / CA using island cover the Schultz's torps will do the trick.

For myself though the only way to get anything out of this boat by skill rather than pure luck or relying on potato play is to play her like a gimped Kleb / Khab by building for range + reload since your shells actually have a decent firing arc out to 15km and AP will chunk BB / CA's for 3-6k in just pen damage all day with a 5.8 second or so reload with Fearless Brawler + MBM3.

[_WOW_]
Members
44 posts
10,094 battles
1 hour ago, lloyd1701 said:

I mean if you can get in and ambush a BB / CA using island cover the Schultz's torps will do the trick.

For myself though the only way to get anything out of this boat by skill rather than pure luck or relying on potato play is to play her like a gimped Kleb / Khab by building for range + reload since your shells actually have a decent firing arc out to 15km and AP will chunk BB / CA's for 3-6k in just pen damage all day with a 5.8 second or so reload with Fearless Brawler + MBM3.

Thanks for the reply.  It was probably to soon for a player of my level of experience to at a T9 "DD".  I'm already struggling with not losing credits each time I take out my T9 Roon.  The economics of battle costs change drastically after T7.  One must earn a lot more than normal, use copious amounts of flags or permanent camouflage that helps with the post battle costs.

Cheers

[TF-O7]
Members
62 posts
7,704 battles

SO I have 25 battles in the ship now.  a pathetic win rate of 48% ...Probably shouldn't have posted that but again, I'm not a hero DD that carries a match.  Now, I have gone down all the DD lines but for the French, so I like to "think" I know a bit about the DDs as a whole.

Saying that here are my thoughts and my crappy bit of advice.

TLDR: Play it like a Light CL with no Cit - and do not chase a DD

The Main Line of DDs is for capping and bullying DDs. - it ends there

The New Line of Dds is not that., and the Schultz IMO is just an undersized CL in a DD skin.  I tried to play it as I would a cap bully and got my butt handed to me almost every single time.  Now, because you have the DD icon, you will hear countless players telling you how to DD.  You will "get reported" and screamed at.. do NOT let this bother you.  In fact, (they do not know this) but if they report you, and you have met the rules of gameplay and have not violated anything in accordance with the game rules, the report gets lifted and removed from you, and they lose one of their "reports" - so just play the game, follow the rules, and ignore them or black list them

So..  play the Shultz like you would a light CL without a Citadel.  And use AP like it's going out of style...  Your main guns are frikkin laser beams.  I have a 55% accuracy rating in 25 battles.  You do not have to "hunt the potato" ...you will find that most CLs will run the heck away when they are getting AP penetrated from 14.8 km.  THAT is out of the radar range!  you are a support ship now.  You are supposed to drive all those island-humping radar mashing hydro using CLs away from the islands and force them to play the actual game.  Cls love to bow tank.. because they could, but they cant tank the AP you are firing, and since you are a DD they will say "oh crap ..torps soon..maybe?" and they will turn and give you that fat broadside and you will cit and cit and cit - and they will run to the forums and cry about a KM DD that hurt them.  Oh..  and you will be doing this at ranges of 13-14.8km.  So you are out of range of radar, and hydro.

So play it like this - expect at least 3k damage every salvo regardless of range - and have a blast!

• Cool 4

[_WOW_]
Members
44 posts
10,094 battles

Thanks for the reply Crazynewt76.  I really appreciate the not bothering about the flaming I'm getting in chat about not capping, hunting DDs, etc.  The bit about radar is going to be really helpful. 

[NATO]
Members
33 posts
24,915 battles

co-opting this thread to ask: Why on earth does F. Schultz B hull exist if it only provides:

• -2.1s rudder shift
  • +28 continous AA damage
  • +100hp

Meanwhile, back in the G Maeker at t8:

• -2.1s rudder shift
  • +81 continuous AA damage
  • +1900hp

The HP value seems like a typo.

[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
646 posts
On 6/25/2021 at 11:42 AM, AdmiralNoodle said:

co-opting this thread to ask: Why on earth does F. Schultz B hull exist if it only provides:

• -2.1s rudder shift
  • +28 continous AA damage
  • +100hp

Meanwhile, back in the G Maeker at t8:

• -2.1s rudder shift
  • +81 continuous AA damage
  • +1900hp

The HP value seems like a typo.

So you'll spend 3 million credits and 45K xp to feel speshul!

I came here to post the same thing. What a (bad) joke! 

Sign in to follow this