You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

I'm confused, Captain skills and premiums

23 comments in this topic

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts

why when I move a captain to a premium ship do the captain skills not move with him?

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

There are separate skills by ship class. So if you got a Mahan and move your commander to Wichita, you get different skills to apply.

If you mean you transfer from a same class ship to a premium in the same class I have no idea.

• Cool 1

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,666 posts
30,282 battles
34 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

why when I move a captain to a premium ship do the captain skills not move with him?

From which ship class to which ship class?

You have four set of skills. One for each class.

On top of the skills there is a button that shows the skills for all classes.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,488 posts
29,211 battles
23 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

There are separate skills by ship class. So if you got a Mahan and move your commander to Wichita, you get different skills to apply.

If you mean you transfer from a same class ship to a premium in the same class I have no idea.

Pretty much this.  

If you have a primary captain "John Doe" assigned to the Montana, he has BB skills.  You move him to premium Wichitia (a cruiser) you now get to assign him cruiser skills.  If you move him to Texas (a premium bb) he carries over his Montana skills (because you already selected BB skills).

• Thanks 1

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts
21 minutes ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

From which ship class to which ship class?

You have four set of skills. One for each class.

On top of the skills there is a button that shows the skills for all classes.

so it will save the skill set for each class? or can I only have the 1 setup?

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
2 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

each captain has skillsets for all classes, once set they apply to all ships of the same class...  so his cruiser skillset follows him to each cruiser, his bb skillset follows him to each bb etc

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles
3 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

A single captain can have setups for multiple classes. 

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_h2o said:

You can save the skill set for each class. BUT. The training for a tech tree ship remains, so you can't swap the same captain between tech tree ships without retraining. If you got premiums it works pretty well.

As an example, you can use Halsey on Montana and Georgia with the same skills, and also use him on Wichita, Saipan and Sims with the relevant skills.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
2,236 posts
10,021 battles
Just now, Capt_h2o said:

Yes each captain has skill sets for each class. A captain trained for a tech tree ships does not have to be retrained when moved to a premium ship. He retains his skills at full power.

An advangtage of the premium ships is when you move a commander to a new tech tree ship you have to train him for that ship. But when you move him to the ship, if you don't spend the doubloons to fully retrain him you can just put him in a premium ship with no penalty to his skills. When he has completed his XP traing requirment you can then move him to the tech tree ship he was asigned to at full skill level.

If you move a captain around alot and forget which ship his is trained on, or forgot where he is, WG has added a "recall Commander" button on the ship display when the ship has no commander. Just hit that button and the captain trained for that ship will move to it.

• Cool 1

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts
4 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Yes each captain has skill sets for each class. A captain trained for a tech tree ships does not have to be retrained when moved to a premium ship. He retains his skills at full power.

An advangtage of the premium ships is when you move a commander to a new tech tree ship you have to train him for that ship. But when you move him to the ship, if you don't spend the doubloons to fully retrain him you can just put him in a premium ship with no penalty to his skills. When he has completed his XP traing requirment you can then move him to the tech tree ship he was asigned to at full skill level.

If you move a captain around alot and forget which ship his is trained on, or forgot where he is, WG has added a "recall Commander" button on the ship display when the ship has no commander. Just hit that button and the captain trained for that ship will move to it.

I'm grinding a couple new lines, and when I was playing before the skills stayed the same, guess now I will have better DD captains in my Premiums when I'm training them on cruisers

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
5 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I'm grinding a couple new lines, and when I was playing before the skills stayed the same, guess now I will have better DD captains in my Premiums when I'm training them on cruisers

yep that's the big bonus now, you can use a captain from a tech tree DD on a premium bb, cv, and cruiser if you like, and they will have a set of skills for each class, instead of gimping you while in those classes that are not the same as the tech tree ship he is trained on.

• Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
2 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I'm grinding a couple new lines, and when I was playing before the skills stayed the same

Before 0.10.0? Yeah, they stayed the same across all ship types then.

This is a whole new world. It benefits two sets of people most - the ones with premiums up to the eyeballs, and the ones who can't afford premium ships to buy but can now retrain all captains in all ship types with no serious compromises, in the ONE premium ship that they scrimped and saved their coal or FXP for.

[NOBS]
Banned
1,225 posts
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Before 0.10.0? Yeah, they stayed the same across all ship types then.

This is a whole new world. It benefits two sets of people most - the ones with premiums up to the eyeballs, and the ones who can't afford premium ships to buy but can now retrain all captains in all ship types with no serious compromises, in the ONE premium ship that they scrimped and saved their coal or FXP for.

I walked away from the game after 8.0, only been back a couple weeks

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
4 minutes ago, Capt_h2o said:

I see.

Oh man, you got culture shock really bad. Rip van Freaking Winkle territory.

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

Welcome back...but...

Bummer...if you've been back a couple weeks you missed the free skills reset option...

You could have had all of your skills reset to nothing assigned on all of your ships but the option went away after you played your 1st battle...

WG set random skills an all commanders after the reset & just about every build had at least 1 skill that left you scratching your head thinking "why on earth would anybody use that skill on this ship?".

But there will be another skill reset in the fall for everybody (once they make changes to some of the skills) so all is not lost.

As a note (,in case you haven't seen any of the related threads) if you assign Deadeye to just 1 of your BB commanders before next update you will be able to reset BB commander skills as they're removing that skill & replacing it w/the DD skill Swift in Silence...that will be in 3 weeks.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

if you assign Deadeye to just 1 of your BB commanders before next update you will be able to reset BB commander skills

No. The BB skills (and ONLY the BB skills) for those specific commanders with deadeye will be reset.

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

No. The BB skills (and ONLY the BB skills) for those specific commanders with deadeye will be reset.

When I read it I distinctly remember the words "BB skills"... don't remember seeing any qualifier about just BB skills w/Deadeye...

There wasn't the word "all" before the words BB skills...but there definitely wasn't the word "only" before it either.

Would need to see the dev blog again but pretty sure it implied all BB skills & just some forumites dubbed in the part that only those w/deadeye equipped get it...

It did say you need to have Deadeye on a commander...but it didn't say only that commander gets reset..it said "BB skills" if I'm not mistaken.

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

When I read it I distinctly remember the words "BB skills"... don't remember seeing any qualifier about just BB skills w/Deadeye...

There wasn't the word "all" before the words BB skills...but there definitely wasn't the word "only" before it either.

Would need to see the dev blog again but pretty sure it implied all BB skills & just some forumites dubbed in the part that only those w/deadeye equipped get it...

It did say you need to have Deadeye on a commander...but it didn't say only that commander gets reset..it said "BB skills" if I'm not mistaken.

sorry, yeah it said BB skills will be reset only for those captains with DE

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
6 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Here's the text:

image.thumb.png.ac284aeeb04b2a6226dc32af06cc2e81.png

Here's the source: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/bulletin-0104/ 

What I thought it meant was borne out when I played the 10.4 PTS; my Minnesota captain, among others, had had his BB skills reset (all points available). Other BB commanders in my fleet, who did not have deadeye mastered, were left untouched.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I can see where I got the idea...but as WG also uses the term "Commanders" interchangeably to refer to "Players" (ie..."Attention All Commanders") I do believe I have the interpretation correct & the "Commanders" in that case means "Players"...

Especially as the "skills related to other ship types..." doesn't have a qualifier about "...& those BBs w/out Deadeye..." "will not be reset"...

Pretty sure it's meaning all Players that have the Deadeye skill mastered...even if it's only on 1 ship...will have their BB skills reset free of charge.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts
4 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I can see where I got the idea...but as WG also uses the term "Commanders" interchangeably to refer to "Players" (ie..."Attention All Commanders") I do believe I have the interpretation correct & the "Commanders" in that case means "Players"...

Especially as the "skills related to other ship types..." doesn't have a qualifier about "...& those BBs w/out Deadeye..." "will not be reset"...

Pretty sure it's meaning all Players that have the Deadeye skill mastered...even if it's only on 1 ship...will have their BB skills reset free of charge.

do you have DE mastered?  no you don't, one of your commanders/captains does.

it means captains in game, because you have to click on the "master" button in the GUI.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,082 posts
29,342 battles
38 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Please see the full text of my edited post. My experience based on PTS 10.4 is that ONLY those BB commanders with Deadeye on them were affected.

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,075 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Please see the full text of my edited post. My experience based on PTS 10.4 is that ONLY those BB commanders with Deadeye on them were affected.

Ah...replied before your edit...Thanx for clarifier.