Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Litigo_1970

Testing Marco Polo

12 comments in this topic

[TSF]
Members
919 posts
21,831 battles

I'm really struggling to figure out how to be effective in Marco Polo. 

I took her into a training room and ran a few tests. 

I parked her next to a Kurfurst, and let Marco's secondaries go to work. Turns out the twenty minute game was not long enough to do any real damage to the Kurfurst with secondaries. 

Here are the results:

1,302 shots fired:

195 hits:

6,930 damage. 

So, I could probably have left Marco banging away at the Kurfurst with its secondaries for an hour, and maybe put a few of the Kurfurst crew in the hospital from laughing so hard, but that's about it.  

I tried using SAP against a bow on Montana at 15km. 

Again, 20 minutes was not long enough to sink the Montana.

Aiming at the bow gave no damage at all. 

Aiming at the guns did nothing. 

Aiming at the superstructure gave me an occasional single pen every other salvo or so. In 20 minutes, against a stationary bot Montana, I was unable to sink it with 406mm SAP.

What am I doing wrong here? I literally can't make this ship perform against unarmed stationary bots. How am I supposed to use this ship to meaningful impact games in Random or Ranked?

I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[NMKJT]
Members
4,275 posts
9,133 battles
13 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

What am I doing wrong here? I literally can't make this ship perform against unarmed stationary bots. How am I supposed to use this ship to meaningful impact games in Random or Ranked?

I am at a loss. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, Marco Polo is just mediocre. The SAP is not consistent enough against BBs, though it does absolutely ruin cruisers (probably too much). The AP is good vs BBs, but MP actually has a harder time fighting other BBs than Roma does, since her armor scheme is far more flawed than Roma's and the ship is a bigger target. Don't even bother with the secondaries, they're useless.

You're best off using AP most of the time and switching to SAP only when you need it. I don't have Sansonetti to 21 yet (using my old normal 21pt captain I got waaaay back), so that's even more punishing for me since you want the improved ammo swap skill bad on MP. TBH I just stopped playing her and went back to Roma. Once Deadeye leaves MP will be quite miserable due to all her bad qualities.

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Members
919 posts
21,831 battles

I am actually using a 21 point Sansonetti on Marco Polo.

I took her back into the training room to see if maybe her secondaries could do something against DDs and cruisers. I sailed up into point blank range, 2km. 

Here are the results;

3,936 shells fired:

1,857 hits:

16,294 damage. 

So, against unarmed, stationary DDS and Cruisers, at a range of <2km, Marco Polo's secondaries average about 4 damage per shot. FOUR!

Seriously WG, what is the point?

[RSL]
Members
896 posts
13,657 battles

I don't see the point of these tests.

16 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

I took her back into the training room to see if maybe her secondaries could do something against DDs and cruisers. I sailed up into point blank range, 2km. 

Here are the results;

3,936 shells fired:

1,857 hits:

16,294 damage. 

So, against unarmed, stationary DDS and Cruisers, at a range of <2km, Marco Polo's secondaries average about 4 damage per shot. FOUR!

For one, you need to differentiate the shell hits/fired by the target to get any meaningful conclusions.  Anyways...
We already knew the 90mm secondaries won't do anything, and since you parked so close there was very little chance that the arcs would let them hit SS.
However, it is good to see some numbers that back up the math, though I would have prefered a more structured test. 

However, the next test makes no sense. 

49 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Aiming at the superstructure gave me an occasional single pen every other salvo or so. In 20 minutes, against a stationary bot Montana, I was unable to sink it with 406mm SAP.

What am I doing wrong here? I literally can't make this ship perform against unarmed stationary bots.

FIrst off, do you understand how SAP works?

SAP isn't HE. Its cant pen at every angle, and has a set penetration value. Think of it like shooting HE that can bounce. Shooting a bow in Montana is obviously going to return poor results unless you shoot only at the SS, which even then is going to be worse than shooting at it angled or broadside. 

50 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Duh

50 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Duh

51 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Aiming at the superstructure gave me an occasional single pen every other salvo or so.

Seems about right, though would have expected a couple more pens.

If you dont understand how SAP works, then it makes sense for how you did the final test. However, if you DO understand how SAP works, then I really don't understand what you were hoping to accomplish.

[TSF]
Members
919 posts
21,831 battles

What I'm trying to figure out, is how to play this ship in a way that brings utility or benefit to my team, rather than just being an exp piñata for the enemy team.

To start, how do you deal with a bow on Battleship in a Marco Polo? What do you shoot? Where do you aim?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,105 posts
30,874 battles
15 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

What I'm trying to figure out, is how to play this ship in a way that brings utility or benefit to my team, rather than just being an exp piñata for the enemy team.

To start, how do you deal with a bow on Battleship in a Marco Polo? What do you shoot? Where do you aim?

A Bow on BB has problems for an SAP Battleship.

A "normal" BB can feed a bow on Battleship HE shells.

You can try to fire SAP or AP at the superstructure, but it's an iffy prospect.

- SAP cannot Penetrate and damage Battleship main battery turret faces.

- AP possibly can, but it depends on range.  Also, their turret faces vary in thickness and ease of penetrating and damaging.  Even the size of the main battery plays a role in how easy it is to hit them.  French quad gun BB turrets are very easy to hit with AP and disable or even destroy.  They're actually decently armored, but they're so wide that they are easy to hit and land multiple shells against.

- A bunch of Battleships have very heavily armored conning towers.

3 examples, Richelieu, Bismarck, North Carolina in that order, shown in a bow on profile.

yzNo0d8.jpg

Richelieu has a 340mm conning tower.  Bismarck 350mm.  NC has 406mm.

Firing Marco Polo 406mm SAP into their faces is going to be a mostly fruitless gesture.  You'd have to get extraordinarily lucky to get some Pens on the superstructure.  You'll do nothing against their bows, deck armor, turrets, conning towers.

Firing Marco Polo's AP?  Chances of getting superstructure is still remote but at least the AP can possibly penetrate, damage, destroy the main batteries.

Artillery Chart comparing Marco Polo's 406mm AP to North Carolina's, her AP has kick to it.

VxERoIP.jpg

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ICLAD]
[ICLAD]
Beta Testers
171 posts
17,492 battles
8 minutes ago, Litigo_1970 said:

You aim at another ship with a better profile, or you use AP and try for anything you  an get.  I have Marco Polo and like the ship.   Very good AP but I find the SAP underperforms all the time.  It just cant handle a bow in BB.  If alone in that situation I charge, orient my guns to the side when close and go for a point blank broadside.  Marco Polo is pretty tanky bow in as well.  Its kinda like Brit CL gunnery; no HE.

[FEM]
[FEM]
Members
109 posts
195 battles

In general, the secondaries which can't pen anything at all are perplexing. Make fewer of them but with meaningful pen? Or shorten the range further? As it is they just drain the FPS of potato PCs.

[B_Y_F]
Members
857 posts
19,357 battles
1 hour ago, Litigo_1970 said:

Angle, angle and angle! 

BB shooting mini-game in WOWS are almost all about angles.

I recommend you to do one more test, that is, while angle change from full bow on to 20°, 30°, 45°, 60° and 90°(boardside) and see the difference in time needed to sink said Montana. And, if possible, compare it to other BB doing same thing.

You'll quickly realize that at both 0°and 90°, Marco Polo do very poorly when compare to other BB. But when it's 45° to about 20°, SAP shines and from time to time do stupid amount of damage. 

[F4E]
Members
1,362 posts
31,791 battles

it's an ultimate ramming machine against all other bow in BB, put some ramming flag on and have fun with it in bumper car style.